2016-2017 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed today. Absolutely loved this school. Cant wait for decisions to come out!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
True ranking is based on your ability to slam cheese curds and beer ;)
That's a problem for me since I don't drink beer. I guess I will be a bad doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I forget does MCW have any scholarships and when do financial aid awards go out?

>Leave thread
>Get notification from @Quaper
>Leave thread
>Leave thread

Reactions: 2 users
Lol 3 separate posts was not the plan. It just worked out that way.

Reactions: 1 users
looks a lot like a/b/c/d/f don't you think?

I called and asked, no gpa, no rank. The h/hp/p system is more for students who do really well to get commended on their achievements while students who are average don't get hurt. Did you get accepted?

I called and asked, no gpa, no rank. The h/hp/p system is more for students who do really well to get commended on their achievements while students who are average don't get hurt. Did you get accepted?

Ya I got accepted here back in October.

Do they silent reject here? Complete early July and still not a word.

if you are accepted into a regional campus, are you under consideration for other campuses or can you work with admissions to change your campus acceptance?

Probably not because the regional campuses are for students to stay in GB and central

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are accepted into a regional campus, are you under consideration for other campuses or can you work with admissions to change your campus acceptance?

If you have a good reason for switching campuses, you can try to work with admissions to change if it will be a better fit for you.

What are the requirements to matriculate, do we just need to graduate, or do we need to get As and Bs still.

What are the requirements to matriculate, do we just need to graduate, or do we need to get As and Bs still.

To matriculate to any school in Wisconsin, you must tolerate lactose - intolerance will not be tolerated! ;)

Had a great time interviewing here last week; anxiously awaiting decision day!

I can't wait to start med school... undergrad is losing its charm hahaha

I can't wait to start med school... undergrad is losing its charm hahaha

I would LOVE to still be in undergrad right now. My dull gap year office job has lost the little charm it had to begin with...and a lot more. Curse that one year contract...

Reactions: 4 users
I would LOVE to still be in undergrad right now. My dull gap year office job has lost the little charm it had to begin with...and a lot more. Curse that one year contract...
Analytical chemistry though.....

Analytical chemistry though.....
Analytical chemistry was one of (if not the worst) class I had to take in undergrad. 40% of the grade was accuracy of lab data, wtf no.

Do any current medical students have recommendations for places to live (apartment buildings, houses, streets/locations, etc), preferably within walking distance to MCW? Thank you!

Do any current medical students have recommendations for places to live (apartment buildings, houses, streets/locations, etc), preferably within walking distance to MCW? Thank you!
Theres a decent number of options within walking distance - along watertown plank east of the medical campus there are apt buildings and houses, and neighborhood on either side of glenview ave (between watertown plank and wisconsin ave) is nice too and walkable and downtown tosa would be close which is nice. Also could live between wisconsin and bluemound ave (houses and a few apartment options) and walk.

If you don't mind a short car ride (like 5 mins) living in east tosa (along north ave from wauwatosa ave to 60th) is also nice, and theres like 20 walkable restaurants!

Should I move to a downtown apartment or is it better to be close to school?

Should I move to a downtown apartment or is it better to be close to school?

Up to you. Downtown is so close so it might not even be a hassle for you depending on what you want. I wouldn't say there's a huge benefit to living close (within a <10 minute drive) to school unless it's within walking distance or if you're the type of person that likes to go back and forth between your apartment and school or whatever throughout the day. Otherwise it just depends on what you want for gas/travel time/etc.

Up to you. Downtown is so close so it might not even be a hassle for you depending on what you want. I wouldn't say there's a huge benefit to living close (within a <10 minute drive) to school unless it's within walking distance or if you're the type of person that likes to go back and forth between your apartment and school or whatever throughout the day. Otherwise it just depends on what you want for gas/travel time/etc.
Thanks!
Is there a big difference in cost?

Thanks!
Is there a big difference in cost?

It depends. I'm not too familiar with the cost of places downtown, but I think some are comparable to the really nice places in Wauwatosa.

Any chance of getting an II here at this point? I have been complete for ages and haven't heard a peep I am an IS URM too with solid stats

I interviewed last week, I think I heard they claimed they were interviewing until ~"end of march".

Anyone know if they are still sending out IIs? I called in a month ago and they said that they are interviewing through march.

Just wondering if anyone who has received an II or rejection can say if the portal changes at all when that decision is made? Should I worry about checking the portal for this school?

Mine just said received, and completed, but nothing about an II or acceptance, all of that was through email

Hey current students, I have a couple questions about the school! Any answers would be greatly appreciated! Just to preface, I know the questions asked will be heavily dependent on an individual student's effort, but I'm asking how well the school plays a role in your success.

1. How well do you feel MCW prepares you for step 1 in terms of teaching/resources/practice?
2. What was the most recent Step 1 pass rate and average score? (If this type of information is floating around or available to you)
3. Is it difficult to get a research opportunities in medical fields of interest?

Thanks again!

Hey guys, I have a friend who has a room for rent around MCW in MKE, I'm wondering if there's a FB group or if anyone has any interest in it & I can put you in touch with her.
Thanks & best of luck to you all!

There is a FB page. Search for Medical College of Wisconsin Class of 2021 post it on there. Thanks!

-Current MCW Student

Hey current students, I have a couple questions about the school! Any answers would be greatly appreciated! Just to preface, I know the questions asked will be heavily dependent on an individual student's effort, but I'm asking how well the school plays a role in your success.

1. How well do you feel MCW prepares you for step 1 in terms of teaching/resources/practice?
2. What was the most recent Step 1 pass rate and average score? (If this type of information is floating around or available to you)
3. Is it difficult to get a research opportunities in medical fields of interest?

Thanks again!

Current M1 here so I can't speak much about Step 1 prep. I have heard we are slightly above average as a school on Step 1, but I don't have the numbers off-hand to back it up. I do know that they foster a lot of study and prep groups lead by an M3 which many people participate in. Our tutoring services in general are superb for group session or 1 on 1.

The biggest thing I can weigh in on is the research - the fact that you don't have to compete with undergraduate students means that opportunities are very plentiful. I have dabbled in basic science, education improvement, and global health. There were advisors interested in taking new students in each of those fields. We also have the Pathways program that encourages research in other fields besides just basic or clinical science.

Best of luck!