2016-2017 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are some things to buy (specific for MCW) before matriculation? Does MCW provide any equipment?

Nothing. During orientation, the MCW bookstore will likely have a package deal where you can purchase a stethoscope, reflex hammer, tuning fork, pen light, etc. for a discounted price. You'll also have opportunities during orientation to purchase gloves, scrubs, and goggles for anatomy lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing. During orientation, the MCW bookstore will likely have a package deal where you can purchase a stethoscope, reflex hammer, tuning fork, pen light, etc. for a discounted price. You'll also have opportunities during orientation to purchase gloves, scrubs, and goggles for anatomy lab.
Awesome!! Thanks!

I have heard from a doctor that went to MCW that he thinks that things like reflex hammers and tuning forks aren't necessary to buy because they will be in every room you do things in up there

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else feel really unprepared, I feel like I'm going to be bombarded in the summer with information

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone else feel really unprepared, I feel like I'm going to be bombarded in the summer with information

I'm too busy trying to find an affordable place to live.

I'm too busy trying to find an affordable place to live.
latest

I'd start here

I have heard from a doctor that went to MCW that he thinks that things like reflex hammers and tuning forks aren't necessary to buy because they will be in every room you do things in up there
Otoscopes & ophthalmoscopes = :nod: (true. They are in every exam room)
reflex hammers & tuning forks = :eyebrow: :nono: (false. You can think of these as being in the similar class as a stethoscope - gotta provide your own.)

Otoscopes & ophthalmoscopes = :nod: (true. They are in every exam room)
reflex hammers & tuning forks = :eyebrow: :nono: (false. You can think of these as being in the similar class as a stethoscope - gotta provide your own.)
How often does one use a tuning fork anyway.

Does anyone know how MCW does on Match Day? Do they go all over or primarily stay in the Midwest?

Also, how does MCW do w/ aid? Do OOS students have no chance of graduating without tons of debt?

Sorry if these have already been asked - I'm trying to decided if interviewing Friday is in my best interest. I have another acceptance so I want to weigh the pros/cons.

Does anyone know how MCW does on Match Day? Do they go all over or primarily stay in the Midwest?

Also, how does MCW do w/ aid? Do OOS students have no chance of graduating without tons of debt?

Sorry if these have already been asked - I'm trying to decided if interviewing Friday is in my best interest. I have another acceptance so I want to weigh the pros/cons.
You should definitely attend the interview! It's a great experience :)

Members don't see this ad :)

here is the 2016 match list

(If I'm not allowed to post this, let me know and I'll remove it, there are no names on the list)

Attachments

• Registrar- Residency Match 2016 First and Second Year Appointments.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 153
Should I be concerned at all that there have been a few people who withdrew/dismissed every year? If you look on the completion rates that are barely 90% does that mean there's high rate of failure at he school?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else on the waitlist get an email today about next steps?

Anyone else on the waitlist get an email today about next steps?
Yes

I wanted to ask what other people who interviewed at Green Bay / Central campuses what they thought of the program and how they liked the campuses?

Should I be concerned at all that there have been a few people who withdrew/dismissed every year? If you look on the completion rates that are barely 90% does that mean there's high rate of failure at he school?
No.

There is a HUGE difference between being dismissed and withdrawing. You don't know the stories behind the various people. For instance, people may have family or personal issues that come up during school that causes them to extend their time in med school. Someone may realize that their heart just isn't into being a doctor and all the sacrifices that they need to make aren't worth it to them on a personal level. Or there is always that one person who slacks off and just doesn't make the adjustment to the time demands of learning in med school until is it waaaaaay too late (and that is in spite of the early intervention that MCW does for anyone that has even the smallest warning sign of potential academic problems).

In the end, focus on you and what you need to do and you'll be fine. If any student experiences any struggles, seek help early! The speed with which med school goes is NOTHING like you can imagine; you can get left in the proverbial dust in the blink of an eye if you don't watch out.

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. Good luck to those waiting!!

Would letters of intent and new letter of recommendation help get me off the waitlist? Are they receptive and actually move you up?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Would letters of intent and new letter of recommendation help get me off the waitlist? Are they receptive and actually move you up?

I'd like to know this as well!

I can't speak to what the AdCom really thinks about these, but I got in off of the waitlist after sending periodic emails about my interest in MCW. I ended up getting a phone call one day from the director of admissions, and she knew that I was still interested in attending MCW based off of those emails. So I would 100% recommend sending in some emails--they were receptive to mine. As far as them actually holding any weight, I can't say for sure. But it seemed like they were definitely read and taken into account. Just make sure to really give thought to what you send in and try to make it meaningful.

As far as another letter of recommendation goes, I would say it would probably only help if it was a super killer letter. Worth a shot, though. I don't think they'll necessarily get mad at you for showing genuine interest and effort to get in off of the waitlist.

I can't speak to what the AdCom really thinks about these, but I got in off of the waitlist after sending periodic emails about my interest in MCW. I ended up getting a phone call one day from the director of admissions, and she knew that I was still interested in attending MCW based off of those emails. So I would 100% recommend sending in some emails--they were receptive to mine. As far as them actually holding any weight, I can't say for sure. But it seemed like they were definitely read and taken into account. Just make sure to really give thought to what you send in and try to make it meaningful.

Hmm, if I sent it as many updates as personally possible (job promotions, new volunteer activities), a letter of recommendation, and letter of intent so far, then would a simple 2 line email stating something along the lines of "Oh I'd like to inform the Office of Admissions that I'm still genuinely interesting...Thank you" be sufficient?

Did you also get off the waitlist before traffic day?

Thank you!!

Hmm, if I sent it as many updates as personally possible (job promotions, new volunteer activities), a letter of recommendation, and letter of intent so far, then would a simple 2 line email stating something along the lines of "Oh I'd like to inform the Office of Admissions that I'm still genuinely interesting...Thank you" be sufficient?

Did you also get off the waitlist before traffic day?

Thank you!!

I would say that if you really have nothing else to add, then that 2 liner couldn't hurt. But I definitely would recommend sending something a little more substantial than that. I'm sure there are things you could still say to both express interest in MCW as well as selling yourself and advocating for yourself.

I did not get off of the waitlist before traffic day. At some point (I think it was in May) I got an email about my general position on the waitlist--they told me what quartile I was in. After that email I thought my chances of getting in were pretty low, but I ended up getting a phone call not too long after that.

Yes

I wanted to ask what other people who interviewed at Green Bay / Central campuses what they thought of the program and how they liked the campuses?

I interviewed at the Central campus and absolutely loved the environment. The students were so supportive of each other and like one big family. The staff as well seemed to go to extra lengths to ensure the students were as supported as possible.

Is MCW still interviewing? I got the impression they were when I spoke with admissions.

~Mnski~

Anyone heard about financial aid packages yet?

Anyone free to explore Milwaukee Saturday? I'd be interested in playing billiards at a sports bar while watching an NBA or NCAA game. Any suggestions?

Has anyone received their financial aid info yet?

I think it's supposed to arrive early in April but I figured I'd check.

Has anyone received their financial aid info yet?

I think it's supposed to arrive early in April but I figured I'd check

I got mine a week ago but I'm at central Wisconsin campus. Also, the fin aid presentation at our 2nd look day made it sound like there are very few merit scholarships and almost all need based.

Last edited:
I got mine a week ago but I'm at central Wisconsin campus. Also, the fin aid presentation at our 2nd look day made it sound like there are very few merit scholarships and almost all need based.
Shoot, I wish I could have gone to second look in Milwaukee but a 14 hour drive just isn't worth it haha :/
I'm pretty sure I won't qualify for anything need based, even though my parents aren't helping lol.

Praying for some love and $$$ :)

Gawd I wanna go here so bad. Here's to waitlist movement!

Shoot, I wish I could have gone to second look in Milwaukee but a 14 hour drive just isn't worth it haha :/
I'm pretty sure I won't qualify for anything need based, even though my parents aren't helping lol.

Praying for some love and $$$ :)
I have a 24 hour drive...Needless to say I didn't go either. I'm hoping for a need based but I have kids already so who knows.

Last edited:
I have a 24 hour drive...Needless to say I didn't go either. I'm hoping for a need based but I have kids already so who knows.
Hopefully this will be you in a few weeks!!! :)

g1yuOA.jpg

How did you get your financial aid info? Email? Letter? Portal update? Phone call? FaceTime? Text? Carrier Pigeon? Owl delivery? Pony Express? Train? Plane?

Are there any current MCW students still in this thread? If so, could you (or anyone that knows the answer to these) help me out? I interviewed back in September so I barely remember anything from the interview anymore.

1. Are all the lectures recorded? How often do you have classes that aren't recorded (e.g. due to personal patient information)? How often are classes mandatory?

1.5. How quickly do you get your class schedules? (e.g. 1 week in advance or the whole thing in the beginning of the semester?)

2. How long is anatomy lab (is it once a week for 2 years or like several times a week for 1 semester, etc.)?

3. How often do you have exams/quizzes? Any online exams?

4. If I skip all the classes during M1/M2 (assuming they're all recorded) and only attended the mandatory stuff (e.g. exams, mandatory lectures, stuff like that), how much time off would I have on average before I had to go back to school?

5. Are all 3/4th year rotations at MCW or are some of them required to be in rural Wisconsin? Do people do away rotations or stuff like that?

Sorry to ask so many questions like this, but I'm going to be in a long distance relationship throughout medical school and I'm just trying to find which school is going to be most flexible when it comes to that. Thanks in advance!!

1. Yes, all lectures are recorded. You'll have to attend anatomy lab first year, which is generally twice a week. The clinical skills courses are mandatory to attend, and they're held once a week. There will be the occasional small group sessions that are mandatory, but they're fairly rare.

1.5. You'll have the whole schedule at the beginning. Occasional changes happen, but it's generally pretty solid.

2. Twice a week for the first four blocks (so all of first semester and the first block of second semester). About 3-4 hours per lab, twice a week.

3. Exam weeks occur at the end of each block. Some classes will have quizzes, which are sporadic, but there won't be many. No online exams that I'm aware of.

4. This is what I do, and I have ample free time. This is, of course, assuming you keep up with the material. If you get behind, it's likely you'll have 0 free time.

5. I'm unsure of the specifics about rotations, but I think there are possibilities to do away rotations.

I would say MCW is a strong choice if you're looking to maintain a LTR, assuming the distance is amenable.

Are there any current MCW students still in this thread? If so, could you (or anyone that knows the answer to these) help me out? I interviewed back in September so I barely remember anything from the interview anymore.

1. Are all the lectures recorded? How often do you have classes that aren't recorded (e.g. due to personal patient information)? How often are classes mandatory?

1.5. How quickly do you get your class schedules? (e.g. 1 week in advance or the whole thing in the beginning of the semester?)

2. How long is anatomy lab (is it once a week for 2 years or like several times a week for 1 semester, etc.)?

3. How often do you have exams/quizzes? Any online exams?

4. If I skip all the classes during M1/M2 (assuming they're all recorded) and only attended the mandatory stuff (e.g. exams, mandatory lectures, stuff like that), how much time off would I have on average before I had to go back to school?

5. Are all 3/4th year rotations at MCW or are some of them required to be in rural Wisconsin? Do people do away rotations or stuff like that?

Sorry to ask so many questions like this, but I'm going to be in a long distance relationship throughout medical school and I'm just trying to find which school is going to be most flexible when it comes to that. Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for responding so quickly and thoroughly, I really appreciate that!

4. This is what I do, and I have ample free time. This is, of course, assuming you keep up with the material. If you get behind, it's likely you'll have 0 free time.

So does that mean you only go to school once a week (for the clinical skills courses)? What about right after exam week? Do you still have clinical skills courses that week or could you skip classes for like ~10ish days?

Unfortunately the distance is like a 2 hr plane ride (or a 10-11 hr drive). :(

Thanks again for your help!

That's exactly right. There are no other classes during exam week, except on the rare occasion when exams are split into two different weeks (the block I'm in right now is like that). Classes resume as normal the week following exam week.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly and thoroughly, I really appreciate that!

So does that mean you only go to school once a week (for the clinical skills courses)? What about right after exam week? Do you still have clinical skills courses that week or could you skip classes for like ~10ish days?

Unfortunately the distance is like a 2 hr plane ride (or a 10-11 hr drive). :(

Thanks again for your help!

How did you get your financial aid info? Email? Letter? Portal update? Phone call? FaceTime? Text? Carrier Pigeon? Owl delivery? Pony Express? Train? Plane?

Email telling you that your portal status has changed. A carrier pigeon would have been much appreciated though, especially if it brought the $$.