2016-2017 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted off the waitlist for Central Wisconsin!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the MCW quartiles work? If we get notified we are in the first quartile, are we in the top 30-40 on the waitlist? That is what I have read in past threads but that was years back.

Does anyone know how the MCW quartiles work? If we get notified we are in the first quartile, are we in the top 30-40 on the waitlist? That is what I have read in past threads but that was years back.

There are first quartile, second quartile, and last 50%. First quartile is the top 25% of the waitlisted students who will be given acceptance first.

Hey, I am a little confused. I haven't done anything regarding financial aid yet, besides Credit Report I guess. Am I supposed to have applied/filed for loans already or do I wait until after the meeting with finaid?

Hey, I am a little confused. I haven't done anything regarding financial aid yet, besides Credit Report I guess. Am I supposed to have applied/filed for loans already or do I wait until after the meeting with finaid?
When were you accepted?

Any central WI people hear back about the scholarship app? They told us we'd be notified in late April, so starting getting a little disappointed.
Wondering the same thing. I haven't heard either. Would be nice to know even if we didn't get it. Or maybe they're just behind with things again.

Wondering the same thing. I haven't heard either. Would be nice to know even if we didn't get it. Or maybe they're just behind with things again.
Yea my thoughts exactly. Would just like to know so I can give up hope and stop refreshing my email like every half hour.

@liquidstatic Thank You!

How are the other Central Wisconsin peeps handling housing? Does anyone need a roommate?
Email Chris Knight, CW campus Director of Recess. He's managing the housing matches with a roommate survey and also has several lists of properties if you want to find something on your own.

Reactions: 1 user
Email Chris Knight, CW campus Director of Recess. He's managing the housing matches with a roommate survey and also has several lists of properties if you want to find something on your own.

Good call! Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
November. :\

I've kept in pretty good touch with admissions and they haven't said anything about it to me so far, however.
Well in my case I got an email to the financial aid portal where there were a number of forms that had to be filled out. I got this month's ago and I was accepted in October.

Well in my case I got an email to the financial aid portal where there were a number of forms that had to be filled out. I got this month's ago and I was accepted in October.

Do you recall what email address it came from? I'm not seeing one in my mailbox.

Could the MCW take away my acceptance for still being considered by other schools after having paid them a deposit to join their class of 2021? I'm assuming no but I'm paranoid. Here's where I stand with the five schools I interviewed at this application season:

School 1 (03-08-17): Rejected. Out-of-state.
School 2 (05-04-17): Alternate list. Out-of-state. Tuition and COA of 58k and 85k, respectively.
School 3 (04-05-17): Accepted. Out-of-state. Tuition and COA of 51k and 69k. Medical College of Wisconsin
School 4 (03-30-17): Alternate list. In-state. Tuition and COA of 31k and 62k.
School 5 (05-05-17): Accepted. In-state. Tuition and COA of 47k and 80k. 5 business days to decide

The MCW is my top choice at the moment. School 5 on the list above uses NBME shelf exams for pre-clinical classes. Does any know if the MCW does the same or if they use exams written by professors?

Could the MCW take away my acceptance for still being considered by other schools after having paid them a deposit to join their class of 2021? I'm assuming no but I'm paranoid. Here's where I stand with the five schools I interviewed at this application season:

School 2 (05-04-17): Alternate list. Out-of-state. Tuition and COA of 58k and 85k, respectively.
School 3 (04-05-17): Accepted. Out-of-state. Tuition and COA of 51k and 69k. Medical College of Wisconsin
School 5 (05-05-17): Accepted. In-state. Tuition and COA of 47k and 80k. 5 business days to decide

The MCW is my top choice at the moment. School 5 on the list above uses NBME shelf exams for pre-clinical classes. Does any know if the MCW does the same or if they use exams written by professors?

Yes, dude you could only hold one acceptance as of May 1st. Get on that immediately.

Oh just kidding, it looks like you just have the one other acceptance. In that case you have 5 business days.

I didn't photocopy the document the MCW asked me to sign and mail them along with the deposit. Could somebody please PM me or write the relevant text on this thread from the document accepted students signed to reserve a seat with the class of 2021?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to have this second acceptance I was emailed about today from a different school.

Does anyone know if MCW sends out rejection letters? Can someone confirm because I have not heard anything since being complete in August

Does anyone know if MCW sends out rejection letters? Can someone confirm because I have not heard anything since being complete in August

Yes I can confirm. They sent me a letter saying I was in their interview pool but they have already finished their interviews so my application was withdrawn.

Yes I can confirm. They sent me a letter saying I was in their interview pool but they have already finished their interviews so my application was withdrawn.
Ok, I see. When did you get it?

I'm still waiting for mine too. Just want to cross it off the excel sheet haha

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything? Wondering when the quartile ranking will come out.

I wonder if it would be appropriate to give them a quick call one of these days since they said May for waitlist position. And it is after traffic day too.

I called and they said please wait until mid-May for them to email us with our quartile ranking as they will have more information then.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email recently that they are changing their policy due to LCME guidance and moving to a completely unranked waitlist (for Milwaukee at least).

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty mad about the change. They've been telling us for at least a month that we would know rankings in May and all of a sudden they change their minds? What does it even mean? Are there rankings and they just don't tell us, or are there legitimately no rankings and they just pull names out of hat as positions open up?

In past years sometimes they would pull from the second quartile or even lower half before all of the first quartile people were pulled. My guess is that this waitlist change might be a reaction to anger about that system. I think this is a terrible replacement system though. At least if we were in the bottom half or even second quartile we could move on and be pretty confident we didn't need to check our emails daily! How are we supposed to commit to other plans and leases with no idea whatsoever of our placement??

In past years sometimes they would pull from the second quartile or even lower half before all of the first quartile people were pulled. My guess is that this waitlist change might be a reaction to anger about that system. I think this is a terrible replacement system though. At least if we were in the bottom half or even second quartile we could move on and be pretty confident we didn't need to check our emails daily! How are we supposed to commit to other plans and leases with no idea whatsoever of our placement??

This is what I think too. I'm still frustrated about it, a number would be nice.

I agree with you about why they probably changed the system--but if it didn't matter where people were ranked, then there's no point in having a ranking at all. In terms of committing to other plans or leases...I don't think you'd be any less in limbo if you knew your ranking on the waitlist or not. I saw my ranking last year (2nd quartile) and figured I had an extremely low chance of getting in with that. Then I got in like 10 days later.

I can understand being upset about the ranking going away since now you'll have even less communication and less idea of where you're at, but IMHO that really was just a luxury in the first place. Schools don't need to tell you anything about the waitlist as far as they're concerned. I think not having a ranking actually helps people that would have been ranked lower otherwise, since maybe now sending in updates and letters of interest can help those people more so than they would have before. But who knows.

To those on the waitlist: send in as many things as you can to express genuine interest. You should have been doing it periodically since your interview, but if you haven't, it's not too late. Schools want to be wanted, and it's up to you to show them that you want to go there. Best of luck!

To those on the waitlist: send in as many things as you can to express genuine interest. You should have been doing it periodically since your interview, but if you haven't, it's not too late. Schools want to be wanted, and it's up to you to show them that you want to go there. Best of luck!
Any suggestions on what to send in? For example, if you already are accepted elsewhere and don't plan on doing anything but relaxing this summer. Do you literally just say that you are still interested?

Any suggestions on what to send in? For example, if you already are accepted elsewhere and don't plan on doing anything but relaxing this summer. Do you literally just say that you are still interested?

That's what I did. I didn't do anything new at all and had zero updates, but I made sure to periodically send emails containing maybe a couple of paragraphs of why I want to go to that school so badly and why I would be a good fit, and I made sure that none of it was fluff. Having another acceptance elsewhere could help you out too--maybe you could mention, in a very nice way, that you already have an acceptance but are more interested in MCW. I know that's what I would have done if I was in that situation.

I decided to stay with MCW! I'm OOS and unfamiliar with rent prices in Milwaukee, WI. Has anybody found apartments within 1.5 to 2 miles of campus that cost less than $500 (with utilities included)?

- BH

I decided to stay with MCW! I'm OOS and unfamiliar with rent prices in Milwaukee, WI. Has anybody found apartments within 1.5 to 2 miles of campus that cost less than $500 (with utilities included)?

- BH
It's definitely possible if you have a couple roommates in a house or something. Otherwise the rent is pretty high

So this was kind of interesting for me/confusing but..

I'm wait listed for MCW-Milwaukee and last week I called to confirm a LOR was sent in. The guy looked at my file, and then told me to sign the technical standards form and send in my official transcripts. I haven't been officially accepted yet, and I was hoping I'd hear this week, but unfortunately I did not get any official word.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere we only send those in if we're accepted? But like I said, no word yet. Eessh, this waitlist stuff is not so fun haha