2016-2017 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For their letter of rec, it says one has to be from a biology, chemistry, or physics teacher. Is that strictly those subjects? Or can they be any subjects classified under those like on the AAMC website. So like a biochemistry professor for example.

Members don't see this ad.

For their letter of rec, it says one has to be from a biology, chemistry, or physics teacher. Is that strictly those subjects? Or can they be any subjects classified under those like on the AAMC website. So like a biochemistry professor for example.

They aren't very strict that it has to be from a biology class but it can be anatomy or biochem or even histology

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
This question is for any of you that were wait listed before getting accepted to MCW...

I know MCW is receptive to updates/checking in. Did you guys send your updates to the Admissions email or did you upload them to the portal? Also, did you send brief messages just to say you were still interested or did you actually write up a letter of intent? Please let me know if you have any guidance! Thanks in advance.

This question is for any of you that were wait listed before getting accepted to MCW...

I know MCW is receptive to updates/checking in. Did you guys send your updates to the Admissions email or did you upload them to the portal? Also, did you send brief messages just to say you were still interested or did you actually write up a letter of intent? Please let me know if you have any guidance! Thanks in advance.
This doesn't answer your question, just wanted to say good luck!!! I hope you get in!

Reactions: 1 user

I would say if you have significant updates to your file, both uploading and emailing admissions couldn't hurt. I'd also caution sending multiple interest emails--consider waiting until you have significant updates and send them all in one along with reiterating your interest. In my experience, MCW admissions are receptive and pleasant to work with.

Reactions: 1 users

I didn't have any significant updates throughout my application cycle, so I checked in about once a month from this point on and sent in 2-3 short paragraphs via email each time about why I want to go to MCW and why MCW is a good fit for me. No repetition or fluff. Well thought out. And it worked! Good luck!

I didn't have any significant updates throughout my application cycle, so I checked in about once a month from this point on and sent in 2-3 short paragraphs via email each time about why I want to go to MCW and why MCW is a good fit for me. No repetition or fluff. Well thought out. And it worked! Good luck!
Awesome, that gives me hope! So when you say from this point on, you mean you sent monthly emails through April? So 5-6 total?

I think I sent 4, but I don't think that's a magic number or anything. I spaced them out at first, and then increased frequency of the last couple just to try to stay fresh in their minds around the time when waitlist movement ramps up. Feel free to PM me with any other questions or concerns you might have.

Do the kickstart classes cost money?

FYI, Kickstarter classes can helpful but totally not necessary to do. Maybe if you’ve been out of school for a while. I’d recommend sitting back and enjoying a long break before actual classes.

FYI, Kickstarter classes can helpful but totally not necessary to do. Maybe if you’ve been out of school for a while. I’d recommend sitting back and enjoying a long break before actual classes.
please do not waste your time doing those lol. I didn't and did well on the first physio exam

EDIT: lol I don't know why I responded to you :laugh:

True, but the last months of freedom should be lived to the fullest imo!
Well true. As soon as I posted it hit me that I forgot to mention that here at the regional campuses we had class in July. So I did them in the downtime during our summer FCM course.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

To any current students on here: How much do senior year grades matter? I'm currently shooting for straight B"s as I've kind of just been focusing on relaxing so far before matriculating. Do any current 'traditional' students have any insight into how badly one would have to do if in order to get their offer rescinded? Thanks!

To any current students on here: How much do senior year grades matter? I'm currently shooting for straight B"s as I've kind of just been focusing on relaxing so far before matriculating. Do any current 'traditional' students have any insight into how badly one would have to do if in order to get their offer rescinded? Thanks!
doesn't matter at all!

I literally sent the same email to the admissions office. As long as you pass everything (C or better), you'll be totally fine.

I'm a traditional applicant who partied like hell during senior year.

I literally sent the same email to the admissions office. As long as you pass everything (C or better), you'll be totally fine.

I'm a traditional applicant who partied like hell during senior year.
Thank you! Time to not study for these finals lol

Thank you! Time to not study for these finals lol
Dude if you end up at MCW we'll definitely end up partying together hahahaha
the M2s always throw a huge party for the M1s after their first exam block haha

Edit: nightlife in downtown Milwaukee in insanely good too haha. if you have any more questions just lmk!