2016-2017 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on previous threads, it looks like there aren't any essay prompt questions unless you're applying for the MSTP. The secondary in past years has just been a demographics form for IS applicants and a form that you can explain your close ties to MUSC/Charleston for OOS applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does MUSC feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!

After perusing the MUSC website, is there a separate online application page besides AMCAS (where you create login information)? It's not that straightforward...

Has anyone received a secondary application?

Last edited:
Just got the secondary!

Question: In the email it says "Most out-of-state applicants who are selected for interviews have close South Carolina ties (having lived in SC or having relatives who live here), along with MCAT scores of ‘508’ or higher, and an excellent undergraduate GPA of 3.6 or higher. "

I am applying OOS from VA with a 507 and very close to their GPA requirement. We have a lot of family friends in SC and I have spent a lot of time there, but I do not have relatives there or "close" ties. Basically, is it worth it to even send in my secondary? I really like what I've read about the school and I do have fee assistance so I think the fee is waived.

Just got the secondary!

Question: In the email it says "Most out-of-state applicants who are selected for interviews have close South Carolina ties (having lived in SC or having relatives who live here), along with MCAT scores of ‘508’ or higher, and an excellent undergraduate GPA of 3.6 or higher. "

I am applying OOS from VA with a 507 and very close to their GPA requirement. We have a lot of family friends in SC and I have spent a lot of time there, but I do not have relatives there or "close" ties. Basically, is it worth it to even send in my secondary? I really like what I've read about the school and I do have fee assistance so I think the fee is waived.

Do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the secondary!

OOS Secondary +1

You could call and ask admissions. They were helpful and let me know if my stats would be okay when I thought I would apply early decision, even though my GPA was a little lower.

Just curious, when did you submit your AMCAS?

Any current students lurking by chance? I am OOS. Lived in Charleston for 2 years doing community service the entire time and love it like any sane person would. Obvious IS bias, I am aware. However, any OOS fitting this sort of profile? Or more the 4.0/520 and/or grew up here for 20 years? Appreciate any advice.

You could call and ask admissions. They were helpful and let me know if my stats would be okay when I thought I would apply early decision, even though my GPA was a little lower.

Just curious, when did you submit your AMCAS?
I submitted the first day it opened, June 7th I think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary!

So what is the question/s in the secondary app?

So what is the question/s in the secondary app?
I don't think there are any. I haven't submitted yet because I'm still trying to get them to waive the fee, but I didn't see any when I looked over it

I just received an email stating:

"Your close ties information has been printed for review.
Best Wishes!!!"

I'm assuming this just means they are about to look at my statement nothing more? Anyone else know?

Last edited:
Just got the secondary!

So I am from CA and no ties to South Carolina and have less than 508 MCAT. Should I just not send in a secondary then??? I am depressed :(

Hi everyone!

I am working on the secondary now. There is a spot for SAT scores, do we have to include them? I don't remember my exact score for each section, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm guessing this spot is for people applying to other programs and we don't have to include SAT scores anyway though. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks, and good luck!

Just got the secondary!

Just putting in my experience! I had a 29 MCAT OOS with 4.0sGPA, 3.98cGPA and have family living there. Was rejected pre-interview last cycle.

Just putting in my experience! I had a 29 MCAT OOS with 4.0sGPA, 3.98cGPA and have family living there. Was rejected pre-interview last cycle.
Thank you! I'm leaning towards not submitting it. It would be the only one out of 30 that I decided not to send back but honestly they seem pretty harsh about the OOS stuff so it sounds like a waste of money. Plus I've sent like 4 emails to the admissions staff and no response.... not helping the cause!!!

Thank you! I'm leaning towards not submitting it. It would be the only one out of 30 that I decided not to send back but honestly they seem pretty harsh about the OOS stuff so it sounds like a waste of money. Plus I've sent like 4 emails to the admissions staff and no response.... not helping the cause!!!

I'm probably not going to reapply even though I have improved my MCAT. So I'm with you there!

Thinking of adding this school to my list.....
I've lived in michigan most of my life and am a MI resident, but I was born in SC and my mom's family still lives there. Think that's good enough in state ties?

Sure! I'd go for it if I were you.

Does MUSC wait a while to send out secondaries? I submitted my primary a while ago and haven't been sent a secondary.

My oldest sister lives in Charleston. 3.9+, 516+. Very excited to apply here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know how important the LOR from a non-science professor is? I'm having a hard time getting one with it being such a busy time for professors. Online it says non-science prof letter "preferred", so that's why I'm so behind on this. I just feel like none of my past non-science professors don't know me very well, and I have a much better letter coming from an employer. I'd just hate for something so small to mess me up in the application process.

Received an interview invite today. Scheduled for 9/9!

@dbgehle are you a current SC resident? Your location says NC and I was under the impression that they don't start interviewing out of state students until November-December. Just curious if I should be excited about a possible early interview OOS. Congrats BTW!

@dbgehle are you a current SC resident? Your location says NC and I was under the impression that they don't start interviewing out of state students until November-December. Just curious if I should be excited about a possible early interview OOS. Congrats BTW!
Whoops, sorry for the confusion. I previously was in NC when I was in college and never updated it after I graduated last year (I don't spend much time on SDN nowadays, haha).

Anyways, yes, I'm actually currently in SC and applying as an SC resident. I also applied ED, and I would imagine that the September interviews are primarily for ED applicants, although I'm not sure about this.

I will let you all know how the interview goes in a few weeks!

Gothca! Thanks a lot and best of luck to you!

When was your application complete?

Primary submitted June 25, complete June 27. On my MUSC application process page, they say they received my national app on July 20. I submitted my supplementary materials on July 29th.

Mind posting your stats?

I have a 3.5 c/sGPA and a 39 MCAT. Relatively strong research and non-clinical volunteering experience.

Primary submitted June 25, complete June 27. On my MUSC application process page, they say they received my national app on July 20. I submitted my supplementary materials on July 29th.

I have a 3.5 c/sGPA and a 39 MCAT. Relatively strong research and non-clinical volunteering experience.
Congrats on the interview and fabulous Mcat score.. Are you a non tradition student? You didn't take the new Mcat? You had everything in including your lors by July 29?

Congrats on the interview and fabulous Mcat score.. Are you a non tradition student? You didn't take the new Mcat? You had everything in including your lors by July 29?

Thank you very much! I am slightly non-trad. Graduated 2015, spent the past year as a research trainee/fellow in a translational lab (doing more basic science projects), am currently an Americorps VISTA in SC. I did not take the new MCAT because the 39 was my first attempt and I wanted to milk that as much as possible. Took it in August 2014 so I would be cutting it very close with the 3-year limitation from test date to matriculation, but luckily MUSC did not require me to take the new test.

And yes, I had my LORS in a few weeks before I'd finished my PS and activities...I'd thought about applying last year and had letters lined up so I just contacted those profs/bosses again and they were willing to help me out pretty early in the process. I procrastinated on the activities and PS so I submitted a little later than I wanted, but it looks like it's working out so far luckily!

*Edit: Also, secondary for MUSC for in-state residents is very short and includes a couple very short essay questions. I think for OOS applicants, there is more involved.

Thank you very much! I am slightly non-trad. Graduated 2015, spent the past year as a research trainee/fellow in a translational lab (doing more basic science projects), am currently an Americorps VISTA in SC. I did not take the new MCAT because the 39 was my first attempt and I wanted to milk that as much as possible. Took it in August 2014 so I would be cutting it very close with the 3-year limitation from test date to matriculation, but luckily MUSC did not require me to take the new test.

And yes, I had my LORS in a few weeks before I'd finished my PS and activities...I'd thought about applying last year and had letters lined up so I just contacted those profs/bosses again and they were willing to help me out pretty early in the process. I procrastinated on the activities and PS so I submitted a little later than I wanted, but it looks like it's working out so far luckily!

*Edit: Also, secondary for MUSC for in-state residents is very short and includes a couple very short essay questions. I think for OOS applicants, there is more involved.

Anyone else have an interview?

Thought I saw a group of them on campus today.

Am I supposed to know about whether I received an interview around now if I applied as in-state early decision? Does anyone know the timeline?

Has anyone received a regular decision II yet?

Am I supposed to know about whether I received an interview around now if I applied as in-state early decision? Does anyone know the timeline?
Don't know the timeline but they do have 2 more early decision interview dates (the next 2 Fridays) with a little over 30 spots spread over those 2 days. I received my II a little over 2 weeks before my date

I just got an email saying I have an interview this fall but won't hear the exact date until about 2 weeks prior to the interview. Odd, but I'll take it!

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an email saying I have an interview this fall but won't hear the exact date until about 2 weeks prior to the interview. Odd, but I'll take it!

+1, but got another email right after with a date. OOS, complete late August, close in-state ties.

Reactions: 1 users
+1, but got another email right after with a date. OOS, complete late August, close in-state ties.

Congrats! Forgot to add for those trying to determine a timeline- I'm instate and was complete at the end of August as well.