2016-2017 Morehouse School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All. I hope everyone is having a good cycle so far. It's not over yet so keep having faith! I am flying into ATL on Thursday at 3pm for the Friday interview. I wanted to explore, so I was curious if anyone in the area wanted to go to Gladys Knight's chicken and waffles, the center for civil and human rights, and the high musuem of the arts. PM me if your interested ☺☺☺

Hi All. I hope everyone is having a good cycle so far. It's not over yet so keep having faith! I am flying into ATL on Thursday at 3pm for the Friday interview. I wanted to explore, so I was curious if anyone in the area wanted to go to Gladys Knight's chicken and waffles, the center for civil and human rights, and the high musuem of the arts. PM me if your interested ☺☺☺
You should deff go to the aquarium if you've never been!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected pre-II yesterday. Got my complete email mid October. :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called Morehouse last week to check on my status. The lady that answered told me there is not an expected timeframe to hear back but that we would be notified by email first about a decision. I interviewed 11/18.

I called Morehouse last week to check on my status. The lady that answered told me there is not an expected timeframe to hear back but that we would be notified by email first about a decision. I interviewed 11/18.
You're the first to say that there is an email notification. Everyone I've spoken to said decisions were only sent in the mail.

You're the first to say that there is an email notification. Everyone I've spoken to said decisions were only sent in the mail.

I know. I also thought decisions would be sent through mail because that's what everyone has been saying, so I was surprised when she said email.

I know. I also thought decisions would be sent through mail because that's what everyone has been saying, so I was surprised when she said email.

When I called Monday the guy told me email too.

My entire experience with them throughout the cycle has been nothing short of a s#!+show. Idk that I'd go here even if they ended up extending me an acceptance. Zero prep, zero foresight, tons of attitude to go around. They didn't open the med school this year, but it sure looks like it.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else received email from Certiphi/ AAMC requesting a background check? I have not received an official communication regarding my interview decision from Morehouse yet, but received that email yesterday night. I was wondering if it means acceptance or waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else received email from Certiphi/ AAMC requesting a background check? I have not received an official communication regarding my interview decision from Morehouse yet, but received that email yesterday night. I was wondering if it means acceptance or waitlist.

Did you get accepted to any other MD schools? If not, it probably means an acceptance from Morehouse because I think AAMC sends that email once you've been accepted at any MD school.

I did this morning around 6:30 when I was at the gym.

Did you get accepted to any other MD schools? If not, it probably means an acceptance from Morehouse because I think AAMC sends that email once you've been accepted at any MD school.
I have been accepted to a couple of other schools, but none of them use AAMC-initiated background check. Morehouse is the only one where I have interviewed that uses AAMC's check. So I am thinking this is related to morehouse.

I think if you are waitlisted they send it too so it could be either one

I got that email too! I'm pretty sure it's related to Morehouse because I only have 1 other acceptance and I know they don't use the AAMC background checks.

I have been accepted to a couple of other schools, but none of them use AAMC-initiated background check. Morehouse is the only one where I have interviewed that uses AAMC's check. So I am thinking this is related to morehouse.
I guess it depends on the school then, I got accepted to 2 other MD schools that both used the AAMC check and I got the email shortly after I was accepted.

I guess it depends on the school then, I got accepted to 2 other MD schools that both used the AAMC check and I got the email shortly after I was accepted.

Oh that is good to know. I got waitlisted at another school about a month ago so I'm wondering if that's why I got the email as well or if something is going on at Morehouse behind the scenes....I guess we'll have to wait and see (ugh!)

Oh that is good to know. I got waitlisted at another school about a month ago so I'm wondering if that's why I got the email as well or if something is going on at Morehouse behind the scenes....I guess we'll have to wait and see (ugh!)
Is that school outside of Georgia?

But I got the same email and I haven't been accepted at Morehouse...yet??

There might be something happening behind the scenes...maybe decisions are being made but we haven't been notified? I'm just brainstorming here, trying not to get my hopes up. I guess the fancy question would be: did anyone interview here, not hear back, and not receive the background check email?

There might be something happening behind the scenes...maybe decisions are being made but we haven't been notified? I'm just brainstorming here, trying not to get my hopes up. I guess the fancy question would be: did anyone interview here, not hear back, and not receive the background check email?

I interviewed in September and have not received the background check email or a status update.

Looking at last year's thread, MSM sent out a batch of acceptances toward the beginning of Feb. Not sure if it's gonna be the same this year though since they're increasing the class size and, at this time last year, they already had a waitlist going.

It might be a good idea to call AMCAS and ask them the reason for sending us this email. May be we can ask, which school initiated our background check? Then, if it is Morehouse (which most likely it is), we can ask them what status did morehouse reported us to be in for initiating this background check.

I interviewed here and have heard absolutely nothing. No background check email. those of you who got those emails, I think you SHOULD get your hopes up!

Reactions: 1 users
I guess the fancy question would be: did anyone interview here, not hear back, and not receive the background check email?
Interviewed in August, haven't gotten any emails. I'm not going to assume anything until I hear from Morehouse directly. Just be patient!

Me! I interviewed in November and have not heard anything and have not received the background check email.

So i called admissions today asking for a status update since i received the background check email. the lady was very nice and basically said just to fill out the forms as soon as possible because it will help the committee with their decisions

This is from AAMC:

"Background Check Process
Certiphi Screening, Inc. will procure a background report on early decision program applicants once they are accepted and on all other applicants at the point of acceptance after January 1st.

Once you have provided consent via email, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will procure a national background check on you. Once the report is complete, you will be able to review the report prior to its distribution to your designated medical schools.

• You will have ten (10) calendar days from the date you receive your background check report to review it before it is made available to your designated, participating medical schools. If you do not review this report, the report will be distributed after this period elapses.
  • You will be provided with an opportunity to contest the contents of the report within the specified ten (10) calendar day period.
  • Review the criminal history searches that will be conducted during the background check process.
Once you have reviewed and released this report, or after the specified ten (10) calendar day period has elapsed, the report procured on you will be made available to the participating medical school(s) who offered an acceptance and initiated the request for this report.

Additional Notes:
  • If this report has been procured prior to your acceptance by a participating school, the report will not be made available to that school until the AAMC receives notice of your acceptance.
  • Upon your initial, conditional acceptance to an additional, participating medical school, the report will be made available to additional, participating school(s) offering the acceptance, after January 1.
  • The report procured during this process will not be released to any party other than the medical schools requesting this report. On the report, history including infractions and juvenile records will be displayed to the applicant but medical schools vary on the content they can and will view."
Link: https://students-residents.aamc.org...icle/participating-medical-schools-deadlines/

To paraphrase, if you have already been accepted to 1 MD school, your AAMC check is provided to the school after Jan 1st and every additional school that accepts you will have access to that check (after jan 1st) once they've notified AAMC of your acceptance.
Therefore, I believe if you have no acceptances yet and received the certiphi email, chances are, they're probably planning on extending an acceptance. (because that check is requested upon acceptance alone)

So i called admissions today asking for a status update since i received the background check email. the lady was very nice and basically said just to fill out the forms as soon as possible because it will help the committee with their decisions
Given my previous post (#544), I don't think the check will help the committee with their decisions, I think they've already made it and have yet to let the very fortunate student know. :wtf::lame:

Given my previous post (#544), I don't think the check will help the committee with their decisions, I think they've already made it and have yet to let the very fortunate student know. :wtf::lame:
I agree, just thought I would share what she told me. She probably also didn't want to give the info over the phone which is totally understandable i guess but i didn't want to find out through a background check email lol

I agree, just thought I would share what she told me. She probably also didn't want to give the info over the phone which is totally understandable i guess but i didn't want to find out through a background check email lol
lol I'm just wondering why they're taking so long to let people know if they've already made their decision! like shoot us a text or something like "yo, is that @premed574 ?? You got in dude/girl, congrats! we'll send something official your way in a jiffy":thinking::thinking:

lol I'm just wondering why they're taking so long to let people know if they've already made their decision! like shoot us a text or something like "yo, is that @premed574 ?? You got in dude/girl, congrats! we'll send something official your way in a jiffy":thinking::thinking:

Haha so true!!! I've been waiting so patiently over here!

I did not get the email, but I already did the AAMC background check this month- so no new information for me.

Also, does anyone know if Morehouse has recorded lectures?? I've heard conflicting answers.

For those who have interviewed. Has anyone heard back? Has anyone called them to see when they are sending out decisions about whether we get accepted, wait listed or rejected?

I'm convinced that we will never hear back

Reactions: 4 users
For those who have interviewed. Has anyone heard back? Has anyone called them to see when they are sending out decisions about whether we get accepted, wait listed or rejected?
I'm thinking we won't hear back until the first day of class

Reactions: 3 users
Haven't heard back, also haven't called. I think someone earlier in the thread said mid Feb? At this point I'm sure Morehouse is aware a lot of applicants are waiting to hear back, and they're working the fastest they can.

Accepted today! :soexcited:
I got the background check email last week as well so those of you who got it should expect some good news.

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats! when did you interview?
Accepted today! :soexcited:
I got the background check email last week as well so those of you who got it should expect some good news.