*****2016-2017 Official IMG General Surgery Interview Invites/Rejections Thread*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rejection Maine medical center, Beth israel Deaconness, Bassett medical center, Methodist Dallas 11/7

Members don't see this ad.

I did not receive any invitations after my last exam results came in. I only received my first invitations after my ECFMG certification went live on ERAS.

So, the good part is, you have two reasons to e-mail programs on two separate occasions. E-mail them now to tell them your Step 2 CK score is in. And e-mail them again once your ECFMG certification goes live on ERAS. Within 24 hours of you receiving an e-mail with a tracking number for the physical ECFMG certificate being mailed, your ECFMG certification status should be viewable by programs on ERAS. That's two opportunities to (a) update programs on your application status and (b) remind them that you're interested in their program for reason 1, reason 2, reason 3, etc. If you do this tactfully, it can only help. Multiple people have explained here that they have gotten interviews after sending these kinds of e-mails. Good luck.

I did not receive any invitations after my last exam results came in. I only received my first invitations after my ECFMG certification went live on ERAS.

So, the good part is, you have two reasons to e-mail programs on two separate occasions. E-mail them now to tell them your Step 2 CK score is in. And e-mail them again once your ECFMG certification goes live on ERAS. Within 24 hours of you receiving an e-mail with a tracking number for the physical ECFMG certificate being mailed, your ECFMG certification status should be viewable by programs on ERAS. That's two opportunities to (a) update programs on your application status and (b) remind them that you're interested in their program for reason 1, reason 2, reason 3, etc. If you do this tactfully, it can only help. Multiple people have explained here that they have gotten interviews after sending these kinds of e-mails. Good luck.

When does this generally happen that I get my certification by? I got my CK results last Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I just spoke to Bassett today and they said they were still reviewing applications. Haven't received a rejection email...yet from them. I wonder if it's because I expressed interest in the program, I didn't get a rejection letter?

When does this generally happen that I get my certification by? I got my CK results last Wednesday.
In my case, I got my CK result on Sep 24th 2014, CS on Dec 03th 2014 and my ECFMG certificate was issued on Dec 04th and I received it on Dec 05th.

In my case, I got my CK result on Sep 24th 2014, CS on Dec 03th 2014 and my ECFMG certificate was issued on Dec 04th and I received it on Dec 05th.

Where did you go to get this? I logged onto ECFMG's site, but there's no information about where to get this certificate. Sorry for the dumb question. I just spent all morning and the past few hours calling programs.

Where did you go to get this? I logged onto ECFMG's site, but there's no information about where to get this certificate. Sorry for the dumb question. I just spent all morning and the past few hours calling programs.
No worries! You can access from this link https://oasis2.ecfmg.org/ (go to OASIS).

How do you guys think are the chances for IMG applicants going to develop with time? Like in 6-9 years? Is it going to be harder, steady or easier to match in GS and other disciplines? Also, can a IMG expect to match in a metropolitan area like LA, San Francisco, New York etc. or is that highly unlikely?

Also, does the country you studied in play a big role in the matching process? Does an European IMG have higher chances than let's say an Indian IMG?

How do you guys think are the chances for IMG applicants going to develop with time? Like in 6-9 years? Is it going to be harder, steady or easier to match in GS and other disciplines? Also, can a IMG expect to match in a metropolitan area like LA, San Francisco, New York etc. or is that highly unlikely?
Right now the number of US medical schools is increasing and the US government funding for residency programs is staying the same. So unless that changes, there will continue to be an increasing number of applicants vying for the same number of positions.

But the need for physicians is going to increase so aren't they going to need more residents?

Members don't see this ad :)
But the need for physicians is going to increase so aren't they going to need more residents?
Ideally government funding allocations would always reflect the country's needs, but as it stands, this is not the case. That is not to say it won't change in the future, though. Regardless, if medicine is what you want, you'll find a way.

This thread has gone off the rails. Any updates regarding interviews/rejections?

This thread has gone off the rails. Any updates regarding interviews/rejections?
Nothing today. Received a reply from a PD saying they will send me an IV offer over the next few days. So, I think we can still wait for a 2nd wave
in mid-November.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, the thing is in Germany I could do any residency I want, even neurosurgery, but they don't acknowledge those in the US and I really want to practice in America. The thing is that neurosurgery seems to be impossible to get into for an IMG and even though that's the subspecialty I want to do, it seems like I'll be forced to switch to general surgery which still is very hard to get into but more doable than neurosurgery. What could I do to stand out academically in order to highly improve my chances for matching? I also don't want to do my residency in the middle of nowhere but in a metropolitan are, preferably New York, LA or San Francisco.

Reactions: 1 user
Invitation to interview cleveland clinic Florida 11/8 :)

interview dates offered: 12/6, 12/13

Reactions: 4 users
Hello All,
Recently I emailed all the programs that did not send rejections. I recieved a bunch more 'we are out of interview spaces' probably meaning rejections. Thus I am adding them and other rejections to my updated rejections list. Two programs told me that they had sent initial wave of IVs and that I could be in their later waves...

Rejections
University of Chicago
Texas RGV
Brigham & Women's Hospital
University of Maryland
Mass. General
Providence Park
Creighton
Albert Einstein
Beth Israel Deaconess
Washington Univ/B-JH/SLCH
University of Connecticut
University of Iowa
East Tennessee State University
Southern Illinois University
Boston University
Marshfield Clinic-St. Joseph Hospital
York Hospital
Anne Arundel

How would an Ivy League PhD in Biomedical Engineering influence my chances?

Hello Everyone. I have Johns Hopkins (Prelim) interview on 12/5 and would like to trade it for 12/12. Anyone? Thank you

How would an Ivy League PhD in Biomedical Engineering influence my chances?

I think PD look mostly at your medical school, USMLEs and US clinical experience. The rest are bonuses to your cv but a phD for example would not account for low or failures in any steps. my 2 cents.

rejection swedish medical center 11/9, Palmetto health USC, Ny Presbyterian Queens 11/10.

Rejection: Abington Memorial Hospital on 11/9

Well, the thing is in Germany I could do any residency I want, even neurosurgery, but they don't acknowledge those in the US and I really want to practice in America. The thing is that neurosurgery seems to be impossible to get into for an IMG and even though that's the subspecialty I want to do, it seems like I'll be forced to switch to general surgery which still is very hard to get into but more doable than neurosurgery. What could I do to stand out academically in order to highly improve my chances for matching? I also don't want to do my residency in the middle of nowhere but in a metropolitan are, preferably New York, LA or San Francisco.

Hi,

A phD is not in itself a deal breaker. What a PhD can help you though is obtaining sufficient research, publications, presentations, and prizes.

Truthfully if I managed to match into one of the most most competitive specialties as an FMG, it's not because of my scores or transcripts. I feel that research and LOR will get you interviews, personality you the job.

Bottom line, I would take dedicated time for research (1 or 2 years) with the goal of 1. Getting really close to a very influential surgeon that can open doors for you when u apply 2. Get known within the department and increase your chances of matching in at least one program 3. Boost your CV with lots of pubs, presentations and prizes. 1 and 2 are crucial.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

very quiet nowdays. rejection east virginia univ 11/14

Rejection update: westchester medical center

rejection UCLA medical center, Westchester hospital NY. Rejections through ERAS and emails combined. 11/15

As a previous IMG (US) last year who matched into categorical gen surg (couples matched actually) . I recommend strongly to email PC/PDs with your focused interest in their programs. It is important also to those looking to go into surgery as an IMG to complete rotations (particularly surgery) in those hospitals to which you are applying because from that point on they (the program) are able to put a face with the name...etc. Good Luck to all.

Congratulations, @OncoSurg. Did your letter specify explicitly whether it was for a categorical or preliminary position?

Happy Thanksgiving email from Morristown, who previous rejected me lol

I have St John Providence Park on December 17. Willing to trade for December 10. Anyone ?

@OncoSurg
I also received an invitation from Harlem today without any specification whether is it a prelim or cat. However, I applied for both.
is your interview date on December 17th ?

@OncoSurg
I also received an invitation from Harlem today without any specification whether is it a prelim or cat. However, I applied for both.
is your interview date on December 17th ?
Hi. I think they will decide whether they are going to rank you cat or prelim after the interview.

So it's been 2.5 weeks since I passed my CK exam and still no word on my ECFMG certificate. Is this because I have to wait to graduate first and then I can get the certificate?

So it's been 2.5 weeks since I passed my CK exam and still no word on my ECFMG certificate. Is this because I have to wait to graduate first and then I can get the certificate?

Yes, they need transcripts and your diploma from your medical school

Jackson Memorial Univ. Miami (prelim)
So far:

St. John Providence Park (prelim)
Wayne State DMC (cat+prelim)
Abington Memorial (prelim)
Harlem Hospital (cat+prelim)
Jackson Memorial Univ. of Miami (prelim)

Reactions: 2 users