2016-2017 University Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm actually trying to help the real Alma. He should have been maintaining a level of anomonimity on this site, especially when he's going to be getting oddly passionate in a thread in which his med school administrators and future classmates are constantly in. It's just not a good look. Sad!
Your argument is ridiculous. So you couldn't have private messaged him or something? Instead you create a fake account to demean and troll. I think it's obvious who the immature one is here. Can't imagine being that petty! Sad!

Members don't see this ad.

I started questioning the integrity of the app process when I learned that several donors requested acceptance for specific applicants.

I never made a fuss because one of the applicants this applies to deserves to get in on merit alone. Despite animosity from qwerty and alma towards each other, I really think the tone was set early on in the way the unlv account responds to people on here. Still, we shouldn't let this thread degenerate to low level trolling and name calling.

I agree that the way the account responds to people here is not appropriate! But yes, there is no need to name call, create fake accounts, and bully other people on this forum. Not sure of the validity of your first argument but ok...

I have to say, being not accepted so far is so utterly frustrating and can be completely exhausting but I really don't see the need for some of these arguments.
...Maybe it's because we are all so passionate about this dream of ours...actually most likely.

Anyway, the point of this is that I feel the need to say "I'm sorry" for the accepted students replying to those who have not been accepted. Because the experiences I have had with a few of you have been nothing but supportive and encouraging. I respect your passion for the school you're about to attend and respect the defense you have given them and I think those who have taken offense to your comments should take a step back and realize that you really are just defending your school, which honestly I think has done a pretty damn good job considering the circumstances.

I mean really, I am honestly so thankful for the UNLV admin that are posting in this forum and keeping us so updated on their cycle and answering all of our questions. I have only been on SDN for a short time now but follow many other schools and no other school is as straight forward (OR even existent on SDN) and matter of fact as UNLV has been. I respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I said whether or not you get a call to keep on fighting I meant it figuratively not literally! Does anyone know what date the next (final) round of calls will go out? Thanks and 1,000,000 congrats to those who made it so far.

Reactions: 1 user
When I said whether or not you get a call to keep on fighting I meant it figuratively not literally! Does anyone know what date the next (final) round of calls will go out? Thanks and 1,000,000 congrats to those who made it so far.

They said at the end of this month, and on paper, calls go out on the last Friday. That being said, the last few times the calls came a few days late. I'm guessing that if it's not March 31st, it'll be on April 3rd/4th.

They said at the end of this month, and on paper, calls go out on the last Friday. That being said, the last few times the calls came a few days late. I'm guessing that if it's not March 31st, it'll be on April 3rd/4th.

The last scheduled admissions committee meeting will be on Monday, March 20. Calls should go out on Tuesday the 21st.

We are fully anticipating that seats will open up both before and after April 30, although we have no idea how many. This is a peculiar cycle in that we cannot over-accept beyond 60 at any point.

Reactions: 1 users
The last scheduled admissions committee meeting will be on Monday, March 20. Calls should go out on Tuesday the 21st.

We are fully anticipating that seats will open up both before and after April 30, although we have no idea how many. This is a peculiar cycle in that we cannot over-accept beyond 60 at any point.
Will rejections/waitlist be emailed that day too?

Will waitlist/rejection notifications go out after acceptances are are extended on the 21st or will all remaining interviewees placed on the waitlist?

Will rejections/waitlist be emailed that day too?

Will waitlist/rejection notifications go out after acceptances are are extended on the 21st or will all remaining interviewees placed on the waitlist?

If not on Tuesday then shortly thereafter. Sadly, there will be a lot more people on the waitlist/reject lists than the accept list, so it will take a bit longer to finalize those dispositions.

If not on Tuesday then shortly thereafter. Sadly, there will be a lot more people on the waitlist/reject lists than the accept list, so it will take a bit longer to finalize those dispositions.
So the final notifications will be at the end of April? Or in May?

By the end of March.
Oh okay thank you! So just to make sure I understand this correctly then: immediate acceptances/rejections will go out around March 21st and those placed on the waitlist will get a final notification of acceptance or rejection by/at the end of March?

Oh okay thank you! So just to make sure I understand this correctly then: immediate acceptances/rejections will go out around March 21st and those placed on the waitlist will get a final notification of acceptance or rejection by/at the end of March?

I guessed wrong earlier with the last round of calls, but I feel pretty certain they wouldn't reject their entire WL by the end of March. They are only accepting 60 students off the bat, so for every acceptee that withdraws their acceptance in order to go to another program, they will pull someone off the wait list. A lot of that movement will happen in May, but it can go through the entire summer.

Members don't see this ad :)

March 21st: remaining acceptances go out, totaling 60 in all.
March 21st - March 31st: all remaining applicants notified if they are (1) on the wait list, or (2) rejected.
April 1 - July 16: acceptances sent to those on the wait list as new seats become available.
July 17: First day of orientation.

I hope this clarifies things.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for the information! Really helpful!

March 21st - March 31st: all remaining applicants notified if they are (1) on the wait list, or (2) rejected.
April 1 - July 16: acceptances sent to those on the wait list as new seats become available.

I hope this clarifies things.
Yes thanks so much!

Will anybody who will not be a legal resident of Nevada by the first day of orientation be considered for acceptance?

Thank you for your prompt reply! Will you be considering anyone for acceptance, of those interviewed, from adjacent states who have never been residents of NV, did not graduate from high school in NV, but have significant connections to the state?

Last edited:
Is there a benefit if I graduated UNLV when I apply UNLV medicine? What was the average gpa of applicants for this cycle? Even though someone had really low gpa, are they able to get accepted to UNLV md school?

Best wishes all. No matter if we have spoken/fought (lol) on this thread, I truly wish you get the answer you want tomorrow.

If not, keep your chin up and go back at it with all you got. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Best wishes all. No matter if we have spoken/fought (lol) on this thread, I truly wish you get the answer you want tomorrow.

If not, keep your chin up and go back at it with all you got. :)

Well said. Thanks!

@UNLVMED--

Will you make a post when all calls have gone out today?

Reactions: 5 users
My heart dropped when I got an email from UNLV SOM. NOPE, just the newsletter!

Reactions: 2 users
At least you didn't get a telemarketer call from a Las Vegas area code. Hands are still shaking!

Back in December on the first day UNLV sent out admissions calls, I was in Australia. I got a call at 3am Australian time, which is in the daytime in the US. All my hope was crushed when the unknown number turned out to be some pre-recorded credit card call. That was the worst.

Back in December on the first day UNLV sent out admissions calls, I was in Australia. I got a call at 3am Australian time, which is in the daytime in the US. All my hope was crushed when the unknown number turned out to be some pre-recorded credit card call. That was the worst.
Yep, its basically awful. This call was tricky too, started with a person who asked for me by name, then switched over to the recorded message. So it took me a little while to figure out I was duped. +pissed+

@UNLVMED--

Will you make a post when all calls have gone out today?

There has been a delay in finalizing decisions. The last batch of calls will be made on the 27th. Waitlist movement will commence as soon as spots open up.

With that, I will be signing off. This was an unusual cycle, but there should be no need for us to interject into future school-specific threads.*

Good luck to everyone, we will see some of you soon, and perhaps many more in years to come.

*Should be no need, but we will be peeking in from time to time and reserve the right to address any egregious misinformation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This thread has been revived since it has valuable information for current and future applicants. Please continue to use this thread for information involving UNLV

Has anyone heard anything today? And does anyone know if they call/e-mail/send letters if you are put on the waitlist?

"UNLV Medicine, post:

I hope this clarifies things."

UNLV medicine said the last calls would go out today in their last post (to I'm guessing those lucky four individuals) and that they would no longer reply on this thread. The above quote is probably their timeline from here on out.

"UNLV Medicine, post:

I hope this clarifies things."

UNLV medicine said the last calls would go out today in their last post (to I'm guessing those lucky four individuals) and that they would no longer reply on this thread. The above quote is probably their timeline from here on out.

Yes, but there has been delays before so some of us are still holding out hope!

Anyone contact UNLV to ask if all calls have been made out or heard back from them?

Got an email informing me that I'm on the alternate list. Anyone know if you can find out an approximate position?

Got an email informing me that I'm on the alternate list. Anyone know if you can find out an approximate position?
I just read the info on the portal and it says that we are ranked but they won't disclose our location on the alternate list.

1. Wondering if there's an Alternate List and a Wait List
2. How large is the Alternate List?
3. Damn

Is it safe to assume that these emails are automated and that not receiving one means a rejection envelope is coming in the mail?

1. Wondering if there's an Alternate List and a Wait List
2. How large is the Alternate List?
3. Damn

Usually alternate list is used interchangeably with wait list. And don't lose hope! There's a good chance there will be a significant amount of movement come May!

Is it safe to assume that these emails are automated and that not receiving one means a rejection envelope is coming in the mail?
That's what I'm wondering too. I wonder what they meant about decisions from now until the 31st.

Alternate email just now. I'm wondering how many are on that waitlist too... Haha

Been a "fun" ride ya'll, just received my decision letter. And so the dream dies. Good luck everybody with this round of apps! May there be waitlist movement in your future.