2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life: (800 max)

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 max)

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 max)

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (800 max)

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)?
Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 max)

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (800 max)

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first). (800 max)

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled "hardship" and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship.Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors. (800 max)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (800 max)

The noted "max" is character max.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On MSAR, it says UCLA only accepts 3 recommendation letters (no more). Is this true?!

UCLA requires "One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics."

I skipped Calc 1 due to passing the AP Calc AB test, and I also passed my AP Stats test, so skipped college statistics as well. This means I only took Calc 2 in college. Am I out of luck? Do I have to take statistics to ever matriculate (assuming acceptance)?

Members don't see this ad :)
On MSAR, it says UCLA only accepts 3 recommendation letters (no more). Is this true?!

I did not receive a secondary at Geffen but this was true for UCLA PRIME and Charles Drew/UCLA. There's quite a few schools that cap at three--just choose which ones you think are the strongest and meet the 2 science, 1 non science re.

UCLA requires "One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics."

I skipped Calc 1 due to passing the AP Calc AB test, and I also passed my AP Stats test, so skipped college statistics as well. This means I only took Calc 2 in college. Am I out of luck? Do I have to take statistics to ever matriculate (assuming acceptance)?

You should email admissions to see you if your AP credits are accepted (many schools do not accept them). Also, if they do not accept your AP credit, then I would still prepare to take a statistics class, just to make sure you've covered your bases regardless of the schools you're accepted to. This is just my $0.02, feel free to take the information with a grain of salt.

I took 1 English course, 1 literature composition course, and 2 writing courses. I heard that UCLA solely will take a year of "English" and/or "Literature" to satisfy the English requirement... is this true?

EDIT: Confirmed by the adcom that this is accepted, if anyone else is in the same position. Seems that Writing is ok as long as English/Lit is incorporated into the year

Last edited:

DGSoM accepts 5 letters.

I believe it says on their admissions site, but I am a current UCLA undergrad student and have heard it from admissions representatives in person.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, you do. I'm in the reverse of you: skipped calc due to AP, took stats. I called, and they told me it just had to be taken before matriculation. UCLA is my first choice by some distance, so for me personally, if I'm accepted I'm going to take calc at my local community college before matriculation. Not super fun, but if I can matriculate at UCLA I won't much care tbh.

Of course, I would call on your own to confirm the info that I got!

Yes, you do. I'm in the reverse of you: skipped calc due to AP, took stats. I called, and they told me it just had to be taken before matriculation. UCLA is my first choice by some distance, so for me personally, if I'm accepted I'm going to take calc at my local community college before matriculation. Not super fun, but if I can matriculate at UCLA I won't much care tbh.

Of course, I would call on your own to confirm the info that I got!

So are you taking it in the summer then if you get an acceptance?

Does applying to prime affect your chances of acceptance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Does applying to prime affect your chances of acceptance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

It only affects your chances of acceptance at the PRIME program. CDU/Geffen/PRIME apps are considered independently. I would only apply to PRIME if you have extensive experience working with underserved populations and a potential interest in pursuing a dual degree. (You are obligated to pursue a masters if you matriculate into PRIME).

There is more information over at the PRIME thread in 2015-2016. If the program interests you, it doesn't hurt to apply. They are selective with their secondary apps so if you receive one it means they are interested. Last year, roughly 80 were interviewed and only 18 acceptances total are filled at a time.

It only affects your chances of acceptance at the PRIME program. CDU/Geffen/PRIME apps are considered independently. I would only apply to PRIME if you have extensive experience working with underserved populations and a potential interest in pursuing a dual degree. (You are obligated to pursue a masters if you matriculate into PRIME).

There is more information over at the PRIME thread in 2015-2016. If the program interests you, it doesn't hurt to apply. They are selective with their secondary apps so if you receive one it means they are interested. Last year, roughly 80 were interviewed and only 18 acceptances total are filled at a time.
Hi @neekzg

I'm confused on the whole Prime vs. Geffin stuff. So if I added UCLA Prime as one of my schools, does that also mean I have added UCLA Geffin as well? Or do I have to add the MD-only program as well to be considered by both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @neekzg

I'm confused on the whole Prime vs. Geffin stuff. So if I added UCLA Prime as one of my schools, does that also mean I have added UCLA Geffin as well? Or do I have to add the MD-only program as well to be considered by both?

You have to add both! David Geffen, Charles Drew, and PRIME are three separate designations and three separate primary fees. If you would like to be considered for all three, you have to apply for all of them. The confusing thing is that the PRIME program is hosted by either David Geffen or Charles Drew for the clinical years. No matter which of the three programs you join, your first two years will take place at David Geffen in Westwood.

You have to add both! David Geffen, Charles Drew, and PRIME are three separate designations and three separate primary fees. If you would like to be considered for all three, you have to apply for all of them. The confusing thing is that the PRIME program is hosted by either David Geffen or Charles Drew for the clinical years. No matter which of the three programs you join, your first two years will take place at David Geffen in Westwood.
I have already added UCLA Prime and Charles Drew. I signed back onto AMCAS and could not find an additional option to apply to Geffin MD-only???

EDIT: Just called Office of Admissions. They said that when you apply to UCLA Prime at David Geffin, you will automatically be evaluated for the MD program if and only if Prime decides it's not interested. Consideration by both programs is subsequent and not simultaneous. And you only need to apply to UCLA Prime, and not MD/MPH and MD-only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have already added UCLA Prime and Charles Drew. I signed back onto AMCAS and could not find an additional option to apply to Geffin MD-only???

Not sure what to tell you--it should definitely be there under "David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA"

Not sure what to tell you--it should definitely be there under "David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA"

I just called the office for clarification. Lady said you only have to apply to Prime to be considered for both, but consideration is subsequent and not simultaneous (if you're passed over for MD/MPH then you are considered for MD-only). Yay to saving $40!

I just called the office for clarification. Lady said you only have to apply to Prime to be considered for both, but consideration is subsequent and not simultaneous (if you're passed over for MD/MPH then you are considered for MD-only). Yay to saving $40!

Really?! That's interesting. Is Charles Drew included in the same fee as well?

Really?! That's interesting. Is Charles Drew included in the same fee as well?
Unfortunately no, gotta apply to that baby separately.

I hope I get the chance to interview at any of the Los Angeles schools. I'm from the area and would like very much to continue to live and learn in the area. Are you currently a student or applying?

Unfortunately no, gotta apply to that baby separately.

I hope I get the chance to interview at any of the Los Angeles schools. I'm from the area and would like very much to continue to live and learn in the area. Are you currently a student or applying?

I interviewed at Charles Drew and UCLA PRIME this past year, but matriculating elsewhere. Just going through 16-17 threads to see if I can help anyone out!

I interviewed at Charles Drew and UCLA PRIME this past year, but matriculating elsewhere. Just going through 16-17 threads to see if I can help anyone out!
That's awesome! Congrats! And thanks for your input on the threads, really appreciate it!

So are you taking it in the summer then if you get an acceptance?

Correct. I already have a transcript at my local community college from taking classes there in high school, so I can enroll fairly last minute. Won't be the best time ever, but it would be okay. I'm also freshly employed at a major university and just found out I can take classes there for 3/4 of the price, so depending on scheduling, might do that.

Does UCLA not accept AP credits? I received AP credit for 2 quarters of Calculus. Took 1 quarter of Calculus and 1 quarter of Statistics. In total I have over a year of math, but if UCLA doesn't accept AP credits I'm still lacking a quarter.

No, they don't accept AP credit unfortunately. Not for any prerequisites. :/

Any know if DGSOM grants secondary fee waivers if we've been granted one through FAP? Can't seem to find this info on their website

Any know if DGSOM grants secondary fee waivers if we've been granted one through FAP? Can't seem to find this info on their website
Yes they do! I didn't pay for the secondary last year as a FAP recipient.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone speak to the stats required for applying OOS?
Also how important is the Spanish speaking requirement?
Basically if I'm OOS and don't speak Spanish should I even bother... ha

Can anyone speak to the stats required for applying OOS?
Also how important is the Spanish speaking requirement?
Basically if I'm OOS and don't speak Spanish should I even bother... ha
I'm from VA and according to MSAR and the lovely woman I spoke to on the phone they don't have as much of a preference for IS/OOS, so I decided to just apply because it's my dream school soooo why not. Also Spanish would probably be helpful but I don't think it's a reason not to apply!

do you guys think I would be screened out because of a 3.44 sgpa? not sure if i even send my primary here

Anyone get an email saying they received our app but no link to secondary? Is there a separate email that comes if we get a secondary?

Anyone get an email saying they received our app but no link to secondary? Is there a separate email that comes if we get a secondary?

Just got that email. From what I understood they will send you a separate email when you have passed the initial screen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got that email. From what I understood they will send you a separate email when you have passed the initial screen.

I also just got a similar email, but I was wondering if yours says that preliminary review will be done in January as well?? Is it really that late or does that mean my application's not looking too hot right now?

I also just got a similar email, but I was wondering if yours says that preliminary review will be done in January as well?? Is it really that late or does that mean my application's not looking too hot right now?

Mine said the same thing about them doing preliminary reviews through January. I interpreted it to mean they start sending out rejections in January for those who don't pass the preliminary review, but I could be wrong. Just speculation. Not sure when people started receiving secondaries last year so I might look on those threads.

Also I wouldn't go that far in saying your application is not looking good. This is a marathon and not a sprint. Everyone's app is not perfect but be confident in the app you submitted.

Also got the January thing. Does it say differently for anyone else?

+1, idk how to access the secondary though... just says status...

Also got the January thing. Does it say differently for anyone else?
I got it. Didn't get a secondary yet. We don't LORs on file for them to screen us right? I'm assuming they're doing it based on numbers, work/activities and the personal statement

What a beast of a secondary. The character limit is killing me. Also, a lot of my responses can fit for a bunch of prompts, so I don't know what to put where.

Here are prompts.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life: (800 max)

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 max)

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (800 max)

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (800 max)

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)?

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (800 max)

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first). (800 max)

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled "hardship" and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship.Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors. (800 max)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (800 max)

The noted "max" is character max. @WedgeDawg and @Ismet here are the prompts!

Here are prompts.

The noted "max" is character max. @WedgeDawg and @Ismet here are the prompts!

Are these all required? I will definitely be repeating some of the activities listed in AMCAS.

+1, idk how to access the secondary though... just says status...

Me too. Does this mean we have to keep re-checking that site for a status update, or will we be e-mailed if we receive the secondary?

Me too. Does this mean we have to keep re-checking that site for a status update, or will we be e-mailed if we receive the secondary?

You will receive an email invitation for the secondary. It was funny, I got an email saying that between now and January, my initial review will take place. Then later in the day I got the secondary invite. That was quick!!

Also, I left out a question incidentally. The secondary also asks:

Has there been or will there be a gap between achieving your last degree (baccalaureate or other degrees post baccalaureate) and the
expected time of medical school matriculation? (yes or no). If yes, please explain. (800 max)

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

Are these all required? I will definitely be repeating some of the activities listed in AMCAS.

It notes at the top the following:

"Please only provide information you believe is important. It is not necessary or required to supply information in all sections."

Also got the secondary, one day after getting the initial 'your application was received' email. Surprisingly fast!

Does anyone know stats on how many applicants are 'screened out' this early?

I'm not sure if anyone in this thread also applied to the PRIME program, but just in case anyone happened to do so, I had a quick question: If we checked off "Combined Medical Degree/Graduate" along with "MPH" on our AMCAS page for UCLA, then will the secondary application we received today (in the email titled "UCLA PRIME Application Receipt") count for both the PRIME and Regular MD programs? I wanted to make sure I had checked off the right boxes on my primary AMCAS app so that I would also be considered for the regular MD program (that was giving me a bit of anxiety this morning!). Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anybody know how applicants are screened? Surely it's based on more than just GPA and MCAT score?
I'm sure this first round is just those two, based on how fast people got them. But I've heard of people getting secondaries as late at September and October, so I'm sure they do a full review if you don't make the cut off for the first round.