2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still in PRIME limbo. Kind of regret applying to the PRIME program.

I do too. Seriously, I advise any future applicants looking in this thread, if you really want to attend DGSOM, don't apply PRIME, not unless they change their admissions process.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I do to. Seriously, I advise any future applicants looking in this thread, if you really want to attend DGSOM, don't apply PRIME, not unless they change their admissions process.

Completely agree! Unless I hear that we might get some kind of preferred review process post-prime rejection.. not a good route.

Just called, they said that January interviews will most likely not be hearing anything this first round of acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called, they said that January interviews will most likely not be hearing anything this first round of acceptances.

Did they happen to say WHEN this first round of acceptances will be??? lol

Rejected pre-II this morning. OOS, complete 9/20, LizzyM 76. There goes my last chance for a Cali school :(

Thanks for trying!! I don't think they are going to tell us the date.. we kept trying, asking in different ways..haha.

I do to. Seriously, I advise any future applicants looking in this thread, if you really want to attend DGSOM, don't apply PRIME, not unless they change their admissions process.

I'm not sure if it matters that much for UCLA, because they consider you for both PRIME and regular MD, which is great. I applied PRIME, but was invited to interview for DG regular MD program in September, and was told I was still being "considered" for PRIME as well. The PRIME interviews were being held in January, but I was never invited for a PRIME interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if it matters that much for UCLA, because they consider you for both PRIME and regular MD, which is great. I applied PRIME, but was invited to interview for DG regular MD program in September, and was told I was still being "considered" for PRIME as well. The PRIME interviews were being held in January, but I was never invited for a PRIME interview.

Same thing happened to me

Hi all! Just thought I'd chime in here to increase our "sample size." I'm a CA resident who interviewed in September (At the time I believe Dean Hall said we were the second or third interview group). I sent a thank you note immediately afterwards (of course), sent a letter of intent about a month ago (got a generic response from the receptionist) and still haven't heard anything. So I guess I'm just saying I'm another fall interviewer who is anxiously waiting along with the rest of you! Hang in there!

Reactions: 5 users
Just read through some of last year's thread, their 1st and 2nd waves were on February 15th and March 7th. Notably though, they weren't that many people commenting - seemed like only 3-4 people commented per wave.

Reactions: 1 users
i never got a rejection email but online it says "decision sent" ...

is that what it says for those who got rejected? ahhh so sad

Members don't see this ad :)
Increasing the sample size! Interviewed in late november, still anxiously waiting a decision :nailbiting:

Completely agree! Unless I hear that we might get some kind of preferred review process post-prime rejection.. not a good route.
I also agree about not applying to PRIME. I was very interested in their PRIME program, but they don't do PRIME interviews until December. I got a DGSOM interview in January (app complete in July), and I've speculated that it was so late because they had to screen and subsequently reject me from PRIME first. Who knows, though.

I haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary (for both MD and MSTP) back in June. Any chance I'll get an II this late in the game?

portals changed february 12th, letters started arriving february 16th, i embarrassingly recite from memory
February 12th was the second Friday of the month... which also happens to be tomorrow :nailbiting:

#staywoke

Reactions: 9 users
I haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary (for both MD and MSTP) back in June. Any chance I'll get an II this late in the game?
I was complete in mid August and I was fortunate enough to receive an II Wednesday. Interview was scheduled for early March.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys, quick update: I called and they told me that all decisions for PRIME have already been made and are being sent out. At this point they are finished with the PRIME. For students who also applied for the MD only program, those applications are still being reviewed. The students who were passed on for PRIME are not necessarily looked at after all the MD applicants. So, I guess there really isn't a downside to applying to PRIME but I could be wrong.. Hopefully this is comforting to some of you... :/ I'm still waiting on a secondary so I guess I probably should give up at this point but then I'm somehow still hopeful if applications are still being reviewed....

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, quick update: I called and they told me that all decisions for PRIME have already been made and are being sent out. At this point they are finished with the PRIME. For students who also applied for the MD only program, those applications are still being reviewed. The students who were passed on for PRIME are not necessarily looked at after all the MD applicants. So, I guess there really isn't a downside to applying to PRIME but I could be wrong.. Hopefully this is comforting to some of you... :/ I'm still waiting on a secondary so I guess I probably should give up at this point but then I'm somehow still hopeful if applications are still being reviewed....

Thanks for the update! If you sent in the PRIME secondary, then it also serves as a secondary for the MD only program.

February 12th was the second Friday of the month... which also happens to be tomorrow :nailbiting:

#staywoke
Maybe decisions will come up at midnight tonight..if not, then I guess it's another week of no news :(

Since those two people posted about getting accepted at 12:05 I've been unintentionally waking up at night to check my phone :confused:
Is it always midnight...?I couldn't check from last years thread, the time was not written.

Thanks for calling!
Let us assume next week....the latest..or as it is officially written till March!

Is it always midnight...?I couldn't check from last years thread, the time was not written.
Last year they didn't do email admissions, it was all portal, so idk... So far the only 2 regular acceptances on here have been at midnight :shrug:

I just interviewed recently so I'm guessing I won't hear until at least March (someone last year interviewed in feb and was accepted in march). I'm sending all you Sept-Dec interviewees good vibes for this upcoming first wave!

Reactions: 2 users

They have already made all of the post-II decisions for PRIME or the pre-II decisions?

Last year they didn't do email admissions, it was all portal, so idk... So far the only 2 regular acceptances on here have been at midnight :shrug:
Oh yes, I remember this cycle was supposed to be via email...I kinda forgot about that after seeing our wait time was similar as theirs....
But that is a good speculation...! I wonder if they put it on automation mode for midnight...I have always thought there were people present when sending acceptances ...that's interesting..

Hello, I am here to increase the sample size. I interviewed for PRIME on 1/14 and have not heard anything yet. I am a little calm because they did tell us it would take a little over a month to let us know. Hang in there everyone ;)

Well I think we all know that the decisions are going to take some time due to the process DGSOM uses for admissions... I interviewed last week so I definitely do not expect to hear back soon lol. Anywho, how did everyone feel post-MMI sessions? I honestly liked the MMI format much better than the traditional format, just curious to see how everyone else felt about it?

Well I think we all know that the decisions are going to take some time due to the process DGSOM uses for admissions... I interviewed last week so I definitely do not expect to hear back soon lol. Anywho, how did everyone feel post-MMI sessions? I honestly liked the MMI format much better than the traditional format, just curious to see how everyone else felt about it?
I liked the MMI a lot, especially UCLA's version of it. Having a problem or topic to discuss made the interviews feel so much more organic and spontaneous than traditional interviews, where we discuss the same topics every time. I had a traditional interview at a different school where the interviewer and I were on completely different pages: she showed up late, was having a bad day (she'd been on call all night), and scoffed when I told her the specialty I was interested in. We didn't vibe at all.

UCLA's interviewers were generally warm and interested, and the fact that there were a lot of them meant that one interviewer having a bad day couldn't sink my whole ship. The MMI questions were entertaining and kind of fun. Having a supportive environment made all the difference, and I had a great day. I loved the MMI.

Last edited:
Well I think we all know that the decisions are going to take some time due to the process DGSOM uses for admissions...

Been waiting since September :hungover: Taking some time alright!!
Anywho..... it seems like decision will go out next week for those who interviewed in '16. Good luck all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone going to the meet and greet tmrw? I didn't get a confirmation email...do I just show up lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone going to the meet and greet tmrw? I didn't get a confirmation email...do I just show up lol

Yup! Just show up at our student lounge, on the second floor of Geffen Hall. Use the elevator, not the stairs. We'll see you there!

I went to the meet and greet before my interview. No dress code, super laid back.

or hopefully sometime this week... DGSOM stop teasing

upload_2017-2-13_9-6-28.jpeg

I wish DGSOM made me feel like this already.

guess no decisions today either :(

I is sad (insert cat picture)

Last edited: