2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it'll be sometime this week yall. just remember that

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fun fact: The DGSOM 2021 facebook group is up! https://www.facebook.com/groups/105157619998748/

From compulsively checking every few days, I can say it must've been created in the last week - they're probably gearing up for the big acceptance wave coming soon!
Good to know it's starting off with 46 members. now we can kind of track how many acceptances have gone out over time. Some might be the people who are already accepted but it's still helpful. hehe #neuroticism

Guys, I'm seriously so glad I'm not alone in all this and that you are all waiting with me! I would have gone crazy if I wasn't in contact with this thread. I probably would have thought I was waitlisted or rejected at this point, it's been so long since January 15th...

Best of luck to everyone this week, I have a good feeling :)

Reactions: 4 users
Are January interviewees to be included in this first wave of acceptances? I need to know if I should start stressing out now or if I have a few weeks before I should begin lol

Good to know it's starting off with 46 members. now we can kind of track how many acceptances have gone out over time. Some might be the people who are already accepted but it's still helpful. hehe #neuroticism

and if it makes you feel any better, a majority of the 46 are current students as well. like you said, the first major wave hasn't come out yet (and us students unfortunately have no idea when that will be either). sorry that the wait is so terrible (i interviewed in jan and didnt hear back until may just for reference), but trust me, it will all be worth it in the end :)

and if it makes you feel any better, a majority of the 46 are current students as well. like you said, the first major wave hasn't come out yet (and us students unfortunately have no idea when that will be either). sorry that the wait is so terrible (i interviewed in jan and didnt hear back until may just for reference), but trust me, it will all be worth it in the end :)
Thanks for your kind and encouraging words!!

Will we be notified via snail mail or via portal??

Deciding which one to camp out..

Will we be notified via snail mail or via portal??

Deciding which one to camp out..

acceptances will be sent through both email and snail mail (and i think the portal changes as well but not too sure on that one)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, everyone! Super surprised to have received an II here today! Definitely thought I was due for a rejection anytime. Trying to decide if I can swing the $$$ to fly there (from the east coast) and the time off work. Would love to hear people's thoughts on the program! Should I go? (I've never visited CA!) Thanks!! :)

(I know people might ask so LizzyM in the high seventies, OOS, complete July-August. There's still hope, y'all!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey, everyone! Super surprised to have received an II here today! Definitely thought I was due for a rejection anytime. Trying to decide if I can swing the $$$ to fly there (from the east coast) and the time off work. Would love to hear people's thoughts on the program! Should I go? (I've never visited CA!) Thanks!! :)

(I know people might ask so LizzyM in the high seventies, OOS, complete July-August. There's still hope, y'all!)

just think, what would Leslie do when the Eagletonians tried putting her down?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!!!! I will gladly take your spot if you don't want to ;)

I have been 0/3 for cali schools and I am holding out hope for UCLA to give my Cali dream a chance :)

Everyone should always channel their inner Leslie!

haha but on the reals, id go. i think it's a great program. i'm not a student there, but i'd go unless you have a full ride at another great school that you 100% would go to

Also when is your interview scheduled for if you don't mind me asking ?

If you already are accepted to the school youd love to go to then maybe not worth the flight.

However, if you are still deciding you should absolutely interview because it seemed like an awesome program.

Also, for the Jan. Interviewees, wont be hearing back till March at the earliest

Congrats!!!! I will gladly take your spot if you don't want to ;)

I have been 0/3 for cali schools and I am holding out hope for UCLA to give my Cali dream a chance :)
Good luck! I believe in you!! :)

Also when is your interview scheduled for if you don't mind me asking ?

Also I don't know when the interview is yet, I just submitted the response form! I'll let you guys know when I hear when it will be!

If you already are accepted to the school youd love to go to then maybe not worth the flight.

However, if you are still deciding you should absolutely interview because it seemed like an awesome program.

Good to know! I think I want to go! I'm very fortunate to have some acceptances already, but I am far too anxious a person not to make as informed a decision as possible! :)

Happy they are still sending out IIs, now just need one to land in my direction. :)

You would be crazy, not to go check out the program at UCLA. It's one of the best programs in the country, it's has one of the most diverse student bodies (if not the most), and it's in LA, where the weather is generally pretty great. The money is worth it, in my opinion!

55442034.jpg

Curse you Willi Wonka!

Good luck everyone. Another day unfolds... (fingers crossed).

Is the consensus not to write thank you letters to interviewers?
why not? i wrote thank you letter to ucla and got replies too. I never get replies from thank you letters from other schools.

why not? i wrote thank you letter to ucla and got replies too. I never get replies from thank you letters from other schools.

Did you directly email your 20 min interviewer? We weren't allowed to bring pens or paper into the traditional interview so I couldn't get her name or email

Did you directly email your 20 min interviewer? We weren't allowed to bring pens or paper into the traditional interview so I couldn't get her name or email

We were told to send all thank you letters to the officw of admissions and not the individual interviewers.

We were told to send all thank you letters to the officw of admissions and not the individual interviewers.
I called and asked for my interviewer's info so I could send a thank you, and the woman in admissions told me it wouldn't get sent to the interviewer.

Oh, I see! Did you address the letter to your 20 min interviewer or to the general admissions office?

Oh, I see! Did you address the letter to your 20 min interviewer or to the general admissions office?

I addressed it to the admissions committee and gave recognition ( by name) to my interviewer because the interview took a unique turn.

I know a lot of people are still waiting on post-interview decisions, but are there a good chunk of folks left over still pre-II but post-secondary? I know they culled the herd a few weeks ago and did post and presecondary rejections, so I'm wondering what's left over. I wonder if they're still sending out IIs.

I know a lot of people are still waiting on post-interview decisions, but are there a good chunk of folks left over still pre-II but post-secondary? I know they culled the herd a few weeks ago and did post and presecondary rejections, so I'm wondering what's left over. I wonder if they're still sending out IIs.
I am post-secondary, but pre-II. I think a large part of that though was that I applied UCLA PRIME.

I'm also still waiting! *shrugs*

I think that they will be giving out II as people cancel their II offers.

I'm also still waiting! *shrugs*
Seems like quite a few of us waiting still! It did seem like UCLA was running a bit behind schedule though, so maybe there's a larger chance than normal for some of us!

So did I! Regretting that decision with most everyone else here! :(

If it gives you hope, I only recently got the II, and I also applied PRIME. I think it just delays things quite a bit, but at least the post-interview wait is likely shortened.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they accept biochem instead of organic chemistry 2? Thanks! :)

I heard one got accepted by UCLA on last Thursday, not sure by phone or mail. Anyone know if UCLA started first wave of admission or not? Thanks.

i feel like they're not doing a first wave this year. they're just kind of letting the acceptances trickle in, little by little.
of course, I'm speculating but is anyone else getting this feeling?

I heard this person did not get a notice about merit based scholarship. Earlier in this forum, we saw a few got accepted with full ride.

From my understanding, we can say that they have been behind all we want, but for all we know they want to consider as many applicants as possible before offering admissions. Because what I do know is that DGSOM does not simply accept based on outstanding academic performance. They are just trying to compare as many applicants as possible and every week they have more applicants to consider. When you couple those two factors you get a very unique, and quite long admissions timeline.

Again I don't know much about the admissions process, this is my first time applying, but I can guarantee they have no shortage of students to accept and they want to ensure that only the people who ABSOLUTELY want to go to their school are accepted. We all know the longer they hold off on notifications the more likely students are to accept other offers.

I could be totally wrong and full of it....

I heard this person did not get a notice about merit based scholarship. Earlier in this forum, we saw a few got accepted with full ride.
Do you know when is this person interviewed?