2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected last week, LM 72. Complete early August

Members don't see this ad.

II today! What a dream. LizzyM 74, IS, complete end of August.
First available interview was beginning of February

Members don't see this ad :)
Please UCSF :(

I want to come to California again :'(

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary was done 09/01, all letters were in on 10/07

im sorry... but i think getting the secondary says a lot about the strength of your application! good luck with the rest of the season.

im sorry... but i think getting the secondary says a lot about the strength of your application! good luck with the rest of the season.
I agree it does. I got a secondary here in November and LORr from Mayo but no interviews yet. I've been rejected from a few other UC schools like Riverside and Davis and other schools like Tufts. This is my second year applying. I've applied to over 50 schools with no II yet. I have to say getting a secondary is nice but it's frustrating to get that far and then not get any further. An II and acceptance would be awefully nice.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected pre secondary
Primary verified late August

Thanks. I got another II the day before so that softened the sting lol.

I got a secondary a couple days ago after my primary was complete in early July...but if they've already filled their interview slots that go through January....why.......

I have friends that got the secondary in Feb, interviewed in March, and ended up getting in. They're just really selective about who gets a secondary and actually do take a bit longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got rejected pre-secondary from UCSD. So far UCSF is the only UC school I received a secondary from and was not rejected. How odd.

Just got rejected pre-secondary from UCSD. So far UCSF is the only UC school I received a secondary from and was not rejected. How odd.

UCSF really likes to do a good job of selecting applicants to interview

UCSF really likes to do a good job of selecting applicants to interview
I think it shows how each med school can have very different opinions and viewpoints.

Can someone comment on the type of interview conducted at UCSF? I know their have been previous posts about the interview day in general but more specifically, is the interview conversational or confrontational? Does the interviewer want to get to know you as an individual or does he/she want to put you in the hot seat with important ethical questions? I know it varies from one interview to another, but anything will help!

I thought it was very conversational. However, my interviewers definitely asked me to back up the things I said with examples.

Does anyone have advice on how to prep? I'm kinda freaking out lol

dude that's so strange, i've received UCSD secondary but rejected pre-secondary from UCSF...still waiting on UCLA

dude that's so strange, i've received UCSD secondary but rejected pre-secondary from UCSF...still waiting on UCLA
I thought it strange as well considering UCSF is the toughest of all to get into. I'm a non-traditional applicant though. I have a mechanical engineering degree and have been working as an engineer for the last few years. At this point nothing surprises me anymore.

I thought it strange as well considering UCSF is the toughest of all to get into. I'm a non-traditional applicant though. I have a mechanical engineering degree and have been working as an engineer for the last few years. At this point nothing surprises me anymore.

That's awesome! Pretty much the same as you, except a civil engineer instead of mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

LM = 71, OOS, nontrad, white, and recently interviewed. The two interviews were conversational, one with a student and one with a professor/physician. In terms of timeline, I completed my primary mid August, got secondary late August, and interview invite in November. Received UCLA secondary late Nov (completed early Dec) and still haven't heard from UCSD about getting a secondary.

Thank you so much for your insight! Did they press you on any hypothetical ethical scenario? I can't imagine it being too conversational since they have nothing about your activities/work/grades? (or am I wrong about the interview being closed book?)

Personally, this was one of my most comfortable interview days and I would describe both of my interviews as both being conversational. I was also concerned about them being closed file but it really felt as though they were just genuinely trying to get to know you. The dean of admissions was very transparent and described the interview process before we started. He said that after the interview, the interviewer will write a narrative of "what it was like to meet us" which admissions will use in their decision. He also mentioned that UCSF tries not to put too much weight on interviews, considering it is such a small window of time compared to our academic career as a whole.

the fact that you got interviews at UCSF means you probably have plenty to talk about in terms of experiences. just relax and be yourself!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
the fact that you got interviews at UCSF means you probably have plenty to talk about in terms of experiences. just relax and be yourself!!!!!!!
That's why I said don't freak out. Be confident in yourself. Just remember the person interviewing you is a person. They were probably in your shoes at one point. Keep it conversational. If they ask you about your experiences just treat it as if you were describing something to a colleague. Don't pressure yourself or physc yourself out with adding extra anxiety that's not there.

Rejected post secondary just now, complete 9/9

Do you think we'll hear decisions on the 18th again?

Any mid-Nov JMPs hear during their interview day when we might find out? Thanks and good luck to all!

Rejected just now. Complete 9/1, OOS, LizzyM ~78. Best of luck to everyone else still in the running!

Rejected now LM>80 complete in july. post secondary btw.

Last edited:
I got rejected by Mayo last night pre II so I'm counting on UCSF.

II couple hours ago!! Complete mid-September, LM~70, PRIME applicant, IS.

Congrats! All we've been seeing is savagery. Nice to see someone making it through!

Thanks! It was a huge surprise! Only one interview day left in mid-February as of this morning. Good luck to everyone else waiting and hope to see some of you guys there!

Thanks! It was a huge surprise! Only one interview day left in mid-February as of this morning. Good luck to everyone else waiting and hope to see some of you guys there!

Is that the final interview day or are they extending into March?