2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how receptive UCSF is to LOIs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how receptive UCSF is to LOIs?
They said they're more into significant Updates than LOI's when I called. Pretty much something like, of course we know you want to go here, but feel free to send it anyway if you want. I am not writing one for that reason but did send in a short update. I have asked a current student there who got in through the waitlist, and she said she didn't write anything and still was accepted so she thinks it doesn't matter much whether you write one or not. And if it's gonna stress you out no need to worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
They said they're more into significant Updates than LOI's when I called. Pretty much something like, of course we know you want to go here, but feel free to send it anyway if you want. I am not writing one for that reason but did send in a short update. I have asked a current student there who got in through the waitlist, and she said she didn't write anything and still was accepted so she thinks it doesn't matter much whether you write one or not. And if it's gonna stress you out no need to worry about it.
Thank you!

Did anyone else get off yet? I feel like last year there were 4 or 5 posts so all the emails seemed to go out on the same day?

Just curious - when excactly did this happen? Made my heart jump. I've been checking my email crazy all day :whistle:

Sorry! I just ran to my friends and went to the nearest bar in town. I got accepted around 5 pm PST!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet Jesus got in off WL at 6:40 pacific cannot believe it. What world is this?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted off WL at 7:00 PST!! Ecstatic to be joining you all! Good luck to everyone who is waiting!

Reactions: 6 users
Patiently waiting for my own WL acceptance

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all those accepted from the WL! Quick question though, are y'all IS or OOS?

Also accepted of the WL @ 4:40 PST (IS)! What is life?? Much champagne was drank :D

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone that got off the WL! Hoping to get off the list too. Do you guys know if they accept people off the WL over the next couple of months or historically is it like majority of the people off the WL were accepted today?

Congrats to everyone that got off the WL! Hoping to get off the list too. Do you guys know if they accept people off the WL over the next couple of months or historically is it like majority of the people off the WL were accepted today?

I believe they accept in waves throughout the month of May. After May, movement may start to slow down.

Congratulations to those accepted off the waitlist!! Is there any mention of deferment, specifically if requests will be considered after a waitlist acceptance?

Accepted off the WL last night at 7pm!!!! MD program. IS, non-trad.

What a comeback story! I was rejected unanimously last year from 45 schools. UCSF was my dream school since Day 1 of undergrad.

Reactions: 11 users
Do we think there will be more WL movement this week or will it be quiet until the first wave responds?

I know no one probably knows but gahhhhh I am so anxious!

Reactions: 3 users
Constantly checking this thread for WL movement - trying to convince myself that the school I'm accepted at is good enough.
i-dont-need-it-meme.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
For those wondering about the LOI vs no LOI, I did send a Letter of Intent to UCSF earlier this year. Don't know if that played any significant factor in my being accepted off the WL, but did see some questions about it and offered my 2 cents.

Don't lose hope, WL movement occurs through constant reevaluation!

Congratulations to those accepted off the waitlist!! Is there any mention of deferment, specifically if requests will be considered after a waitlist acceptance?

Hi kahlina, I remember reading that UCSF unfortunately doesn't accept deferment requests after May 1st. I've included the link to where I found that information here: Accepted | UCSF Medical Education | Admissions

This website seems a little outdated though so maybe it would be helpful to give the admissions office a call!

Anyone coming off the WL OOS? Is it typical that the majority of people who eventually come off the WL are IS? Anecdotally seems true-from SDN and IRL- but trying not to give up hope

Anyone coming off the WL OOS? Is it typical that the majority of people who eventually come off the WL are IS? Anecdotally seems true-from SDN and IRL- but trying not to give up hope
Yeah hoping for the same here. My parents and sister lives in the Bay Area still and I attended college over there too so I have strong ties, but since I'm OOS I'm getting a little discouraged :( I wonder if a LOI would help at all...

UCSF doesn't consider IS/OOS when it comes to post-interview acceptances, from what Dean Wofsy says, so I'd be surprised if they only accepted ISers off of the waitlist. Granted, if they have mostly ISers withdrawing, that might explain it why it seems that way.

I just got off of the WL! I sent a letter of intent in mid-April disguised as an update letter. Good luck my OOS brethren!

Reactions: 3 users
Got in off the waitlist last night (8:45pm EST)!! Was not expecting that — still kind of in disbelief. OOS, interviewed in Jan, and sent a couple of update letters.

Reactions: 4 users
Got in off the waitlist last night (8:45pm EST)!! Was not expecting that — still kind of in disbelief. OOS, interviewed in Jan, and sent a couple of update letters.
Were these both update letters or more interest letters? I was contemplating sending another to express intent/interest but it seems like they really do prefer significant updates and I'm not sure I really have any.

Were these both update letters or more interest letters? I was contemplating sending another to express intent/interest but it seems like they really do prefer significant updates and I'm not sure I really have any.

I sent them as update letters, but I definitely made sure to reiterate my interest in UCSF in no uncertain terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted off the waitlist on May 2nd and officially committed to UCSF today. Looking forward to meeting my future classmates, and good luck to everyone else!

Dreams do come true!!

Just got in off the WL! I'm so happy, really didn't think this would happen!

Reactions: 2 users
Got accepted as well regular MD

On a side note:
Currently living in SF, feel free to PM me for any questions about the area. There are single rooms for <$1,000 at decent bus distance to school. I live about 30 mins taking the 43 (next to CCSF) and my rent is $650 for a small-ish single room.

Got accepted as well regular MD

On a side note:
Currently living in SF, feel free to PM me for any questions about the area. There are single rooms for <$1,000 at decent bus distance to school. I live about 30 mins taking the 43 (next to CCSF) and my rent is $650 for a small-ish single room.
Today?

Sorry to give any waitlist applicant a scare, but was wondering if any accepted students have received financial aid information and if so, were they happy with the package?

Sorry to give any waitlist applicant a scare, but was wondering if any accepted students have received financial aid information and if so, were they happy with the package?
I got accepted off May 15 and went to the Finaid today. From what they said once you finish off these things: How to Apply for 2017-18 | UCSF Student Financial Aid it'll about 3 business days for them to process it and come back to you with your package.

Specifically these things:
-CSS Profile Form
-Parent Federal Tax Return
-Financial Aid/COLS Application
-FAFSA

Last edited: