2016-2017 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Additional Information Essay:
Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply. (2000 characters max)

Diversity Essay:
Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc. (2000 characters max)

Reapplicant Essay:
In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s). (3000 characters max)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
[deleted]

Last edited:
Secondary arrived!
I'm in-state, can't wait to go there

If anyone has questions about Mizzou or CoMo in general, I'm an UG here so I can answer most questions you may have
how is cost of living here? if i wanted to get a single person apartment how much would i pay?

Secondary received and submitted today!

Good luck to all! :):horns:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Secondary essays! Please update, thank you @WedgeDawg

Additional Information Essay:
Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply. (2000 characters max)

Diversity Essay:
Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc. (2000 characters max)

Reapplicant Essay:
In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s). (3000 characters max)

Any current Mizzou-med student wanna read over or offer advice about additional information essay?
(I'm an IS student, LizzyM=75)

how is cost of living here? if i wanted to get a single person apartment how much would i pay?

If you live downtown it would be around $600 a month. There's places a mile or two from school that are cheaper ($400). I haven't lived alone, so I can't give specifics. Overall, it's fairly cheap unless you live at any place owned by Brookside.

Have any OOS people received a secondary/OOS additional info form yet? I interviewed here and loved it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got one, cant decide if i should do it since looks like they mainly want IS. What do you think?

I got one, cant decide if i should do it since looks like they mainly want IS. What do you think?
So I'm OOS but my dad used to teach at MU in the 90s and I lived there as a child. I don't know if it's enough to get in, but I was given an interview when I applied the first time.

Repeat Instate applicant this year. Rejected twice, waitlisted once. Hoping fourth time's the charm. I'm a little over halfway through a Master of Clinical Psych and added about 1000 hours of new clinical experience this application. LizzyM 71, 69 last application. I'm happy to answer any questions people have on the interview process, I have a bit of experience.

Repeat Instate applicant this year. Rejected twice, waitlisted once. Hoping fourth time's the charm. I'm a little over halfway through a Master of Clinical Psych and added about 1000 hours of new clinical experience this application. LizzyM 71, 69 last application. I'm happy to answer any questions people have on the interview process, I have a bit of experience.
Have you been able to identify what they didn't like in the previous years?

All of the pre-med things that I've been too have mentioned rural medicine quite a few times and that more importantly that applications don't just seem like somebody has been going through "checking the boxes" if you will. They really try to look for something you've been passionate about -- generally either an EC or research. They've been known to just talk about someone's favorite EC for almost an entire interview.

In short, I'd say they make sure you're passionate about the things you do. If that makes sense at all. I haven't had any caffeine today, so who knows.

All of the pre-med things that I've been too have mentioned rural medicine quite a few times and that more importantly that applications don't just seem like somebody has been going through "checking the boxes" if you will. They really try to look for something you've been passionate about -- generally either an EC or research. They've been known to just talk about someone's favorite EC for almost an entire interview.

In short, I'd say they make sure you're passionate about the things you do. If that makes sense at all. I haven't had any caffeine today, so who knows.
Hmmm.. Well, I put a lot of emphasis on rural medicine in my essays and have a full time job in a rural clinic, volunteering in rural areas too. So hopefully that's right up their alley!

A lot of it was lack of clinical experience. I now have a great clinical position that I've been in since October working with two retina subspecialty opthalmologists. I've also stressed how medically underserved my hometown area is.

I got an email today with an information packet about the school. Before that, I didn't even know Mizzou had a medical school.

Anyway, can anyone shed light on the turmoil there last year with the football players going on strike and the protests? I've just read on the news that the state is cutting the entire school's budget due to lower than expected undergraduate enrollment. Would anyone know if they made any cuts to the medical school's budget? Also, have the undergraduate tensions gone so far as to affect the school of medicine in any way?

I'm thinking I should send an email to ask if they have any secondary fee waivers for students they contacted, although I'd like to make sure the school is still a good place to get a medical education before I put in all this effort.

I got an email today with an information packet about the school. Before that, I didn't even know Mizzou had a medical school.

Anyway, can anyone shed light on the turmoil there last year with the football players going on strike and the protests? I've just read on the news that the state is cutting the entire school's budget due to lower than expected undergraduate enrollment. Would anyone know if they made any cuts to the medical school's budget? Also, have the undergraduate tensions gone so far as to affect the school of medicine in any way?

I'm thinking I should send an email to ask if they have any secondary fee waivers for students they contacted, although I'd like to make sure the school is still a good place to get a medical education before I put in all this effort.

MU announced last week or the week before they received a record amount of funding this year. MO doesn't have a lot of medical school options, so I highly highly doubt that funding will be cut to the SoM. And UG protests and demonstrations are in the high traffic areas that are in the center of campus -- far(ish) away from the SoM.

As far as waiving the fee, if you qualified for the FAP then you'll be exempt from the fee. Otherwise, it's $75 out of your pocket.

I asked them about the fee waiver. If you are qualified for the FAP, send them the email verification of the FAP with the "mail in page" together, so that you don't have to mail them $75. The verification should have your AAMC ID on it.

MU announced last week or the week before they received a record amount of funding this year. MO doesn't have a lot of medical school options, so I highly highly doubt that funding will be cut to the SoM. And UG protests and demonstrations are in the high traffic areas that are in the center of campus -- far(ish) away from the SoM.

As far as waiving the fee, if you qualified for the FAP then you'll be exempt from the fee. Otherwise, it's $75 out of your pocket.

That's good to know. Thanks for the reply!

For applicants filling out the OOS form, do we have to mail it in? Is there a email address we can send it to that I'm not seeing?

Edit: found it in the document text

Application Complete email today! Submitted 07/13

I am an OOS applicant and received the form asking for my ties to Missouri. I don't really have any, should I even bother turning it in?
I was the only person in my interview group that was OOS, so I think they're pretty strict. That being said, it won't cost you any money to submit the form...so you might as well try

OOS here, I received a secondary 8/19 so I'm guessing they liked what I filled out in the form? I don't have any ties, I wonder why they still sent it to me. Should I just go for it?
I'm from California btw.

OOS here, I received a secondary 8/19 so I'm guessing they liked what I filled out in the form? I don't have any ties, I wonder why they still sent it to me. Should I just go for it?
I'm from California btw.

If you fit the mission, then go for it. Not sure if you're from LA, San Fran, etc., but Columbia is really small compared to those

Edit: if you care, that is. They've accepted people without ties before. Just own your secondary prompts

If you fit the mission, then go for it. Not sure if you're from LA, San Fran, etc., but Columbia is really small compared to those

Edit: if you care, that is. They've accepted people without ties before. Just own your secondary prompts

Used to live in SF but now live in a smaller town in the Central Valley, I've decided to apply, thank you!

Forgot to update, Completed my secondary and was verified about 2 weeks ago. Hoping for some better luck this year.

Anyone know what the screening process is like for an OOS? I have a balanced 504 mcat and deciding whether or not to apply here

Anyone know what the screening process is like for an OOS? I have a balanced 504 mcat and deciding whether or not to apply here
not to deter you from applying but I just finished undergrad at MU and the information I have from the school is that they are particularly hard on OOS applicants unless you demonstrate a close connection with Missouri (Family etc.). out of 1,700 apps they take ~12 OOS so its your call but those odds are FUBAR.

Several concerns at University of Missouri medical school
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

COLUMBIA, Mo. • The University of Missouri School of Medicine is noncompliant in several areas and must address them within two years to maintain its accreditation, according to a report by a national group that accredits medical degree programs. Among the findings in a June report by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education is that the number of Missouri medical students who reported experiencing gender discrimination is twice as high as the national average. The report was obtained recently by the Columbia Missourian through a Sunshine Law request. The committee also found the school noncompliant regarding diversity programs, student mistreatment, curricular management and affiliation agreements, ...

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_039ea1e3-9f50-5b05-9dec-5c0ab25025df.html

Several concerns at University of Missouri medical school
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

COLUMBIA, Mo. • The University of Missouri School of Medicine is noncompliant in several areas and must address them within two years to maintain its accreditation, according to a report by a national group that accredits medical degree programs. Among the findings in a June report by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education is that the number of Missouri medical students who reported experiencing gender discrimination is twice as high as the national average. The report was obtained recently by the Columbia Missourian through a Sunshine Law request. The committee also found the school noncompliant regarding diversity programs, student mistreatment, curricular management and affiliation agreements, ...

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_039ea1e3-9f50-5b05-9dec-5c0ab25025df.html
I went to mizzou for undergrad and frankly I think people should stop being such babies about everything possible. Doctors don't get a safe space, toughen up. Hopefully this deters others from applying so people who are not so easily offended can get in to med school.

Doctors are no less human than anyone else, and no one should be discriminated against based on race, religion, sex, etc.

Will it happen over the course of your career? Undoubtedly. But saying "toughen up", is blaming the victim, would you should be blaming the perpetrators.

Reactions: 3 users
Doctors are no less human than anyone else, and no one should be discriminated against based on race, religion, sex, etc.

Will it happen over the course of your career? Undoubtedly. But saying "toughen up", is blaming the victim, would you should be blaming the perpetrators.
Ok my msg was a bit insensitive but I still feel like those entering such a challenging field should look past some of the "bullying", rather than curl up into a ball and live in tents on the quad in protest.

Man... from one insensitive comment to another :/

The field isn't going to change unless people do something about it. Protest, report, be an ally, etc.

Remember the words of the Lorax: "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Just remember, while discrimination is a very real party of life, there is no reason to accept it as the norm. For years we've been progressing, but that process is never truly over. Doctors are just as much humans as anyone else. In case you haven't heard, the rates of anxiety and depression in medical students and physicians is outrageously high. Suicide is seen as an occupational hazard. Maybe we should look at safe zones for doctors if not regular therapy sessions for those struggling.
I'm working on a clinical psych degree and hope to go into psychiatry so this issue is very close to my heart.

Man... from one insensitive comment to another :/

The field isn't going to change unless people do something about it. Protest, report, be an ally, etc.

Remember the words of the Lorax: "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
I apologize, i should not have said that, my opinions are biased due to my undergraduate experience at MU. Ive seen the school's reputation tarnished over bad publicity resulting from protests. I don't think anyone should suffer discrimination, I just would like to see our generation handle it differently.

No worries. MU has had a bad string of events last few years, but I still have faith in it and the people at it, else I wouldn't be here.

Thanks for recognizing your comments were off key.

Reactions: 1 users
Man this thread is quiet. I sent in my oos secondary today. Are people not applying here due to the bad rep I reading about? I was hesitant to send that 75 bucks after reading up on the school. Also, has anyone gotten interviews?

Man this thread is quiet. I sent in my oos secondary today. Are people not applying here due to the bad rep I reading about? I was hesitant to send that 75 bucks after reading up on the school. Also, has anyone gotten interviews?
Lol I hope so, less competition. May as well apply!

MU only gets about 2000 apps every year. They are also doing early decision throughout September. I doubt they even really look at apps for regular admissions until maybe now-ish. I'm guessing II will start going out towards the end of September for October interviews.

Also, the undergrad campus IS down about 2500 Freshman. If all the ruckous impacted the undergrad, I could see it impacting the med school as well.

But as above, less applicants, less competition!

I was finally complete today.

Anyone else hear anything? Complete? II?

I was finally complete today.

Anyone else hear anything? Complete? II?
I'm not sure any non-EDP applicants have received IIs yet. Actually, I don't think we've heard from any EDP applicant about an II either.

Per previous threads and their website, their regular decision IIs should start around October. Hope we hear something soon!

How long did it take to receive an OOS form/secondary invite?

Last edited: