2016-2017 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary received! Prompts are the same as last year:

Applicants for the MD and MD/PhD Program Respond to prompts 1-3 in no more than 1-2 paragraphs. (1000 character limit)

Prompt 1: We have all tried something and failed, whether it was something big or something small. Describe a situation or an experience you had when you realized that you were not up to the task, and tell us what life-lessons you learned from this experience.

Prompt 2: Much of medical school education is based on team-learning. What important activity have you accomplished that required a team approach, what was your role in the outcome, and what did you learn from it?

Prompt 3: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone's life-whether it is a patient, friend, classmate, or a family member-and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would be really helpful to the people applying next year if you guys make an MDApps account so we can see what happened to you guys. If you are worried about anonymity then post whatever info you feel is appropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I get the prompts for the secondaries. I have checked the school specific 2016-2017 threads , they dont seem to have it yet. I also looked at 2015-2016 school specific threads and couldn't find it there either for many of the schools.
Thanks!

Where can I get the prompts for the secondaries. I have checked the school specific 2016-2017 threads , they dont seem to have it yet. I also looked at 2015-2016 school specific threads and couldn't find it there either for many of the schools.
Thanks!

Sometime you have to browse a few pages, but the 2015-2016 thread should have most, if not all, of the specific questions.

Does anyone know if they change their secondary prompts every year?

I got an email saying they received my AMCAS! Verified 6/14, IS.

Applicants for the MD and MD/PhD Program Respond to prompts 1-3 in no more than 1-2 paragraphs. (1000 character limit)

Prompt 1: We have all tried something and failed, whether it was something big or something small. Describe a situation or an experience you had when you realized that you were not up to the task, and tell us what life-lessons you learned from this experience.

Prompt 2: Much of medical school education is based on team-learning. What important activity have you accomplished that required a team approach, what was your role in the outcome, and what did you learn from it?

Prompt 3: Give an example of how you made a difference in someone's life-whether it is a patient, friend, classmate, or a family member-and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

Reactions: 1 user
IS received! Excited doesn't even cover it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else not able to submit due to an error in "Program of Study?"

The application also keeps erasing my emergency contact and work information.

Same here! Guess we'll have to wait until they fix it, and I had this one prewritten.

So I have been having no problems with Program of Study or Emergency Contact Info, however, they ask you to attach a file when they give you no means of attaching said file. Wat.

So confused...

Under the academics tab, are you guys inputting your high school information or just undergraduate? Because when I try to add my high school it keeps telling me - major is required.

I put my high school and put n/a for major.

Ms. Reid was notified of this morning and they are working on it. It is saying that because they are working on the new payment site since it is a new system they are using. I spoke with her this morning and IT. So checking the site tomorrow another time was advised.

Ms. Reid was notified of this morning and they are working on it. It is saying that because they are working on the new payment site since it is a new system they are using. I spoke with her this morning and IT. So checking the site tomorrow another time was advised.

Are people still having trouble submitting this supplemental application due to the "Program of Study" error with an inability to submit payment?

Did she say if they would email when it was fixed?

Are people still having trouble submitting this supplemental application due to the "Program of Study" error with an inability to submit payment?

yes, same here nothing's changed since they opened it yesterday. they're still working on the payment site that's connected to the application.

No, she didn't unfortunately....i didn't push because she seemed super busy and couldn't stay on the phone

Quick update,

I just spoke with the Med school IT and they said they are looking into it and hopefully by the end of the day it should be working, if not, for us to contact them again; this is the link I have been using to contact them and I've also emailed Ms. Reid.
http://help.med.unc.edu/
Good luck to US all!

Quick update,

I just spoke with the Med school IT and they said they are looking into it and hopefully by the end of the day it should be working, if not, for us to contact them again; this is the link I have been using to contact them and I've also emailed Ms. Reid.
http://help.med.unc.edu/
Good luck to US all!
Thanks for the update!

Is there any opportunity to talk about our ties to NC? I've never lived there but my entire family does and I want them to know that I want to be with them and plan to stay indefinitely.

Is there any opportunity to talk about our ties to NC? I've never lived there but my entire family does and I want them to know that I want to be with them and plan to stay indefinitely.

Same situation, parents live here and sister went to NC undergrad, but no place to explain that I have closer ties to NC than my actual OOS residence, unless I try to force it into an essay somewhere. Oh well, best of luck to you :)

Same situation, parents live here and sister went to NC undergrad, but no place to explain that I have closer ties to NC than my actual OOS residence, unless I try to force it into an essay somewhere. Oh well, best of luck to you :)
Thanks, same to you.

My application says awaiting for both institutions that I entered (college and high school). Do they expect me to submit these transcripts?

My application says awaiting for both institutions that I entered (college and high school). Do they expect me to submit these transcripts?

Same, I didn't realize that they would want my high school transcript! I don't really want to go through the lengths to get that one...

Same, I didn't realize that they would want my high school transcript! I don't really want to go through the lengths to get that one...

I feel the same way. I am going to wait for them to figure out the payment systems and then call and ask.

Does anyone know how to submit the secondary Fee Waiver? Also is the college transcript supposed to be an official or unofficial transcript?

For those interested, it just allowed me to submit my payment. And the transcript submissions were not there anymore so it seems like things are fixed.

For those interested, it just allowed me to submit my payment. And the transcript submissions were not there anymore so it seems like things are fixed.

Did you enter your high school information?

I didn't personally because I don't have any credits from my high school that apply.

Does anyone know how to submit the secondary Fee Waiver? Also is the college transcript supposed to be an official or unofficial transcript?

you may wanty to take off that picture if that is you

Because you shoudl value your anonymity on a forum like this. Especially because you dont know who is reading it.
It's still pretty anonymous, I was thinking of getting rid of it anyway.

so we definitely don't need to send in high school or any other transcripts (other than the ones we already sent through AMCAS), right? I got the confirmation email that they received my application, but just want to make sure.

so we definitely don't need to send in high school or any other transcripts (other than the ones we already sent through AMCAS), right? I got the confirmation email that they received my application, but just want to make sure.
As far as I know once you send in your transcripts to AMCAS, unless the school website explicitly says so, you're good. UNC doesn't say anything about it, so I think we're okay. I'm sure they would have had something about it on their secondaries.

I just submitted my secondary!
For some reason this was the hardest one for me to complete. I'm OOS but hopeful because UNC is basically my dream school.
This wait is going to kill me.
Good luck to everyone applying!

Submitted. Now to wait for an interview.

I finally got the secondary haha
Good luck to everyone applying UNC is definitely my top choice (I'm in state and live 20 mins from the school)
:love: