2016-2017 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are parents supposed to come to second look?

Last year it was accepted students only, no family. So I would assume same for this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Significant others?

Again, based on last year no. They specifically said in our email that it was applicants only and that family and SO's could see campus at white coat. Not sure if it would change for this year.

Don't think I've ever been so excited for Monday to come...I drank out of the old well today. Maybe it'll be my lucky week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think I've ever been so excited for Monday to come...I drank out of the old well today. Maybe it'll be my lucky week.
Still have never had a 4.0 after drinking out of the old well

Reactions: 1 users
had a mini panic attack because I thought the university might be closed for president's day. it's not. *deep breaths*

Does anyone know the method to their madness for OOS applicants? Interviewed in Dec and patiently waiting!

They should be sending out a batch of acceptances tomorrow, right?
I was under the assumption that acceptances don't really go out in batches and it was just whenever your committee felt like contacting you after they met... :/

I was under the assumption that acceptances don't really go out in batches and it was just whenever your committee felt like contacting you after they met... :/

Yeah, but they meet every other Monday and they usually contact people on Tuesday from what I've seen

Got a call from a 919 number this morning but they didn't leave a voicemail. Darn

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who interviewed around Nov 20th hear back yet? Any IS post-interview rejections yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
That just happened to me... hahah
To make matters worse, I'm doing this community outreach event that requires people to call my number so there are a bunch of 919s... it's the worst. I interviewed beginning of Feb so I doubt I'd hear anytime soon.. ?

That just happened to me... hahah
To make matters worse, I'm doing this community outreach event that requires people to call my number so there are a bunch of 919s... it's the worst. I interviewed beginning of Feb so I doubt I'd hear anytime soon.. ?

I think some call off of the UNC school of medicine which starts with 984-974-XXXX. : )

...anyone? lol. weird the amount of silence.

Wondering if they didn't meet due to President's Day..

Wondering if they didn't meet due to President's Day..
well it wasn't a holiday or an inservice or anything....i looked on their academic calendar. But I guess they could have decided not to meet because people may have taken off for it? I'm not sure.

Accepted!!!!

......is what I wish I were saying.:cryi:

Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully I can clear up the confusion by letting ya'll know I was accepted today, definitely excited about the school! Good luck to everyone else in this cycle!

For those interested: 511, 3.5 GPA, IS applicant

Hopefully I can clear up the confusion by letting ya'll know I was accepted today, definitely excited about the school! Good luck to everyone else in this cycle!

How did you find out?

Omg congrats that's so awesome! It's an amazing school, coming from someone who attended undergrad there.

Been passed over so many times after my interview at this point... :( Wish they'd just go ahead and end it already haha... the limbo is the worst

Does everyone who is waiting have information only regarding their secondary fee being received on the "portal"? That's the supplemental application link from what I've heard. I only have an activity saying that I sent in the secondary fee. I know that other schools will display II extended, interview attended, etc on these types of timelines.

Congratulations to you!! When did you interview and are you a traditional or non-traditional student?

I got my call on this Monday night at 9:30PM. Interviewed 12/12

IS, non-trad, 3.86 GPA, 507

Does everyone who is waiting have information only regarding their secondary fee being received on the "portal"? That's the supplemental application link from what I've heard. I only have an activity saying that I sent in the secondary fee. I know that other schools will display II extended, interview attended, etc on these types of timelines.
My portal only changed from secondary fee paid to accepted a few days after I got the call. I don't think they use the portal for much. :/

I got a call from a 919 number today and it was the American Red flippin' Cross. :boom:

Accepted! Super excited. Interviewed mid-January.

Reactions: 2 users
Based on huggy's post a few acceptances have gone out on Thursday so maybe today will be good news? Haha

Based on huggy's post a few acceptances have gone out on Thursday so maybe today will be good news? Haha

Man I hope so - the suspense is killing me. It doesn't help that UNC is (and always has been) my #1 choice med school. Being this close to a decision (one way or the other) is tough!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Man I hope so - the suspense is killing me. It doesn't help that UNC is (and always has been) my #1 choice med school. Being this close to a decision (one way or the other) is tough!

My number 1 choice as well! I'm very settled in after years of NC with some dogs I'm hoping I won't have to split up between my gf and me.

Still one more round at least so keep your chin up!

Just interviewed. Definitely my first choice by far.

They said the committee just met so we wont hear back for a bit. They meet twice a month but perhaps spring break will delay this further? They said they still have spots open.

Last edited:
My number 1 choice as well! I'm very settled in after years of NC with some dogs I'm hoping I won't have to split up between my gf and me.

Still one more round at least so keep your chin up!

Definitely. Like you guys, we're also pretty settled here. We've been in NC on/off for going on 15 years. Our oldest kids were born here and we've owned our home since before the housing market crash. While I'm not opposed to moving for medical school if necessary (we're blessed to have some excellent out of state options), we really want to stay home too, if possible!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel you! The anticipation is the worst part. We just have to try and keep ourselves busy and chillax while the committee decides. UNC was my #1 choice for undergrad and remains my #1 choice for med school. We're all in this together!

Accepted 2/22/17. Got the call on Wednesday night and the email/portal update this morning.

Definitely my top choice, very happy :)