2016-2017 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.)

2. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation? (500 characters to describe plans, if yes)

3. Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? (1000 characters to describe, if yes)

4. Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.) (1000 characters if yes)

5. Have you or your family experienced economic hardships? (1000 characters, if yes)

6. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck everybody! I'm a current first year, and happy to answer any questions! I've had an amazing time since getting to Penn. This place is really special, as you'll see when you interview. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there are a couple of us on the boards willing to provide an insider perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a recent alum, but if you guys have questions about any of the four years of medical school here, I'm more than happy to answer them!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a graduating 4th year, but will be staying at Penn for residency because I liked it here so much. If you guys have questions about any of the four years of medical school here, I'm more than happy to answer them!
Not a question about the curriculum but what do you think the Penn ADCOM values most in its applicants? I'm in love with this school but I'm trying to decide if its a little too out of reach for me with a LizzyM of 74.

Not a question about the curriculum but what do you think the Penn ADCOM values most in its applicants? I'm in love with this school but I'm trying to decide if its a little too out of reach for me with a LizzyM of 74.
I think Penn, maybe more than other schools, appreciates uniqueness and how you specifically can potentially be a leader and contribute to the field of medicine. >60% of my class took at least a year in between med school and undergrad, and a good chunk of those had a prior career before starting med school. The students here are from almost every walk of life, which I think contributes greatly to the culture of the student body. Penn looks for students who will not only practice good medicine, but also potentially do something on top of that. Over half my class elected to take an extra year, some to do combined MPH/MBA/MPP/MBE/etc degrees, others to do a year of research.

A LizzyM of 74 is certainly within the range. If it's a school that you really like, it doesn't hurt to apply (except maybe your wallet a little).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a graduating 4th year, but will be staying at Penn for residency because I liked it here so much. If you guys have questions about any of the four years of medical school here, I'm more than happy to answer them!

Just a question on the one of the secondary questions that I am pre-writing. "Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)."
This question doesn't seem like the general diversity/challenge essay, so would addressing the fact that I immigrated to the country right before starting college be something "unique" that I can add here?

Yeah, if you did not address it elsewhere and it's written well, you can add it. I used my diversity/challenge writing material for that prompt as it was not included in my primary, despite being an important aspect to me.

Just a question on the one of the secondary questions that I am pre-writing. "Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)."
This question doesn't seem like the general diversity/challenge essay, so would addressing the fact that I immigrated to the country right before starting college be something "unique" that I can add here?
Totally, that space is pretty flexible, so if you feel like you can add something there you otherwise wouldn't have talked about in your other essays, that's what it's there for.

For the aforementioned secondary question: "Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)."

Would it be appropriate to answer the question with an essay speaking on why I am diverse and addressing how my unique interests can contribute to medicine, or are they specifically looking for an answer that speaks about adversity/challenges faced in life background (poverty, URM, etc.)?

@QuantumFlame @darkjedi @Penn-mdphd

Last edited:
For the aforementioned secondary question: "Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)."

Would it be appropriate to answer the question with an essay speaking on why I am diverse and addressing how my unique interests (strong writing/poetry-focused background) can contribute to medicine, or are they specifically looking for an answer that speaks about adversity/challenges faced in life background (poverty, URM, etc.)?

@QuantumFlame @darkjedi @Penn-mdphd

It doesn't have to be about adversity/challenges. It does say you can mention "siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple," which is not about adversity or challenges. So you can read it as

"Are there any special aspects that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere"

Don't be like "I am diverse. I have these aspects that show why I am diverse to medicine." Do try to make it flow with the prompt question rather than copy/paste from another secondary essay that explicitly asks "How do you add to the diversity of our class" seen at many schools. So yeah, write whatever you want (if you feel it truly adds to the painting that portrays yourself in your application), but be cognizant about your approach :thumbup::thumbup:

Does anyone know if their secondary question that asked

1. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation? No Yes
    Please describe your activities during this time:

has a character/word limit like the other ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, questions are the same as before with the tiny character limits.

I assume awards awarded by the school don't count?

Unless you're at a state school, since it's a state organization. Jokes aside, probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if their secondary question that asked

1. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation? No Yes
    Please describe your activities during this time:

has a character/word limit like the other ones?
Mine says 500 characters

Hey, so I was wondering if you could share any info/experiences you've had with how they let you take classes that are in other schools at UPenn without additional cost? Is this something you've done? Do you even have time to take classes outside of the med school? Do you happen to know if this is an uncommon policy among medical schools? Thanks!

What counts as global activities? Does going to the place your parents immigrated from and learning the culture count?
Just called to ask about my specific situation and living abroad/vacationing somewhere doesn't count (don't know if that helps). If you are unsure, just call them! They were super nice.

Just called to ask about my specific situation and living abroad/vacationing somewhere doesn't count (don't know if that helps). If you are unsure, just call them! They were super nice.
That helps a lot! Thanks! Leaving it blank :)

Hey, so I was wondering if you could share any info/experiences you've had with how they let you take classes that are in other schools at UPenn without additional cost? Is this something you've done? Do you even have time to take classes outside of the med school? Do you happen to know if this is an uncommon policy among medical schools? Thanks!
I personally didn't do it, but I know several classmates who did. There are a few classes at Wharton that are pretty popular for medical students to take, including some about medical devices and health policy. I believe you are able to take 2 classes for free a year but I don't remember exactly.

There's definitely time to take outside classes if that is your interest. It's there for your learning experience and you get what you put into it.

Hey guys can someone post the prompt? Pre-writing as I have not submitted MCAT yet.

Thanks!

Hey guys can someone post the prompt? Pre-writing as I have not submitted MCAT yet.

Thanks!

1. Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.)

2. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation? (500 characters to describe plans, if yes)

3. Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? (1000 characters to describe, if yes)

4. Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.) (1000 characters if yes)

5. Have you or your family experienced economic hardships? (1000 characters, if yes)

6. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

@WedgeDawg

I have relatives who went to Penn (not med, but other grad programs) so I just used the short space here to write about that. Do you think that would be a bad answer and that I should focus more specifically on how I contribute? I just thought I'd mention it since it's the only school that has specifically included the family/relative aspect in this question.

Since they do explicitly ask about relatives, I'd say it's sufficient to just say something along the lines of "My sister is currently in her 3rd year pursuing a PhD in chemistry." Don't need to go beyond that (unless you want to talk about something totally different related to the prompt). It could be used just as a conversation starter in interviews or to gauge how you would fit in at Penn since you have family already at Penn.

After I submitted the secondary and paid the fee I'm still able to edit my responses, is that normal? Or did I actually not submit? I received the confirmation email from the adcom..

After I submitted the secondary and paid the fee I'm still able to edit my responses, is that normal? Or did I actually not submit? I received the confirmation email from the adcom..
It is like that for me too. I think you can edit it until they receive letters of recommendation or something.

Do you think that'd be a waste of a response or should I try to also talk about something that makes me unique?

Do what you think is necessary, really. But if it's just extra bs, then don't lol. Your call.

I personally didn't do it, but I know several classmates who did. There are a few classes at Wharton that are pretty popular for medical students to take, including some about medical devices and health policy. I believe you are able to take 2 classes for free a year but I don't remember exactly.

There's definitely time to take outside classes if that is your interest. It's there for your learning experience and you get what you put into it.

I think they told us incoming MS1s that you can take a total of 3 extra classes for free during your time at Penn.

It is like that for me too. I think you can edit it until they receive letters of recommendation or something.
I submitted it at night, got the email, and it was like that for me. Then when I checked the next day, I could no longer edit

I submitted it at night, got the email, and it was like that for me. Then when I checked the next day, I could no longer edit
I just checked again, and I can no longer edit.

Did anyone not get a confirmation email (complete or fee paid) after submitting and paying with credit card?

Secondary submitted. Check. Now to wait for a hopeful Interview.

Did anyone not get a confirmation email (complete or fee paid) after submitting and paying with credit card?
Ya, I got one that said that my fee had been paid and that my secondary had been successfully submitted.

What are they looking for when they say global activities? I've traveled pretty extensively, but I'm guessing thats not what they're looking for. Probably more like volunteer work, study abroad, etc.?

I did Semester at Sea and we visited 14 countries. I did volunteer work in some but not all. Not sure how to tackle this one.

Also, for the what have you done since graduation prompt...I'm non-trad. I graduated 4 years ago, started a master's program, worked a full-time job, went back to school, started new full-time job. I literally cannot fit all of this in 500 characters. should i focus on since finishing my post-bacc? or try to address all 4 years in 500 characters..

Also, for the what have you done since graduation prompt...I'm non-trad. I graduated 4 years ago, started a master's program, worked a full-time job, went back to school, started new full-time job. I literally cannot fit all of this in 500 characters. should i focus on since finishing my post-bacc? or try to address all 4 years in 500 characters..
You just did. Start with that sentence with a little editing. Then fill in as much detail as you can. When you mention your jobs, they can refer to your amcas activities/employment section. They already have that info and this is not another essay to write the same thing you've written. Just write a brief description so they get a clear overview/timeline post-graduation, and other parts of your app can fill in the details.

Are your letters in? Mine aren't in and so I think that's why I can still edit?
Yes, my letters are in. That is probably the reason you can still edit.

Hey all,

I'm a Canadian applicant to this school, and I can't seem to pay the supplemental application fee. I just keep geting the message "Warning: declined, one or more fields in the request contains invalid data"

I'm not sure if this is because my credit card has a billing address in Canada, and the system is unhappy with that, or if this is a server issue?

I called UPenn, but of course no one answered. I'm very frustrated as I've been completed my application for a few days now, and I just can't submit.

Edit: I should note that I've checked the card numbers a million times, have had no issue at 10+ other schools, and have fully paid the card off (have enough room for this charge)

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm a Canadian applicant to this school, and I can't seem to pay the supplemental application fee. I just keep geting the message "Warning: declined, one or more fields in the request contains invalid data"
I'm not sure if this is because my credit card has a billing address in Canada, and the system is unhappy with that, or if this is a server issue?
I called UPenn, but of course no one answered. I'm very frustrated as I've been completed my application for a few days now, and I just can't submit.
Edit: I should note that I've checked the card numbers a million times, have had no issue at 10+ other schools, and have fully paid the card off (have enough room for this charge)

That is frustrating. Try to keep calling/email if no other Canadians on here appear. Also, you probably already thought of this, but if you have another card and/or debit card, try to use that?

That is frustrating. Try to keep calling/email if no other Canadians on here appear. Also, you probably already thought of this, but if you have another card and/or debit card, try to use that?

Yep, I tried a friends credit card. Unfortunately no one I know has a credit card with a billing address in the states :(

I've called and emailed UPenn. I also called my Visa company and they said that it wasn't on their end, as the transaction isn't coming through, so it's definitely on the UPenn end.

Hopefully someone in the office gets back to me. I'd be willing to mail a check, or find some other way to pay if I knew I needed to