2016-2017 University of Puerto Rico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!!! I wanted to know if a 501 MCAT score and and 3.85 GPA was competitive enough to apply for the MD program at the UPR or any Puerto Rico medical school.

Hi!!! I wanted to know if a 501 MCAT score and and 3.85 GPA was competitive enough to apply for the MD program at the UPR or any Puerto Rico medical school.

Yes. My MCAT was around that number with a slightly lower GPA (but high sGPA) and was accepted at both UPR and UCC (the only schools I applied) this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it recommended applying here if your Spanish skills are not completely fluent? I have good enough stats to get in.

Is it recommended applying here if your Spanish skills are not completely fluent? I have good enough stats to get in.

UPR is only recommended if you're IS or have very strain ties to the island. They don't accept from OOS.

You can look into the other schools in Puerto Rico like Ponce, San Juan Bautista or Universidad Central del Caribe.

Someone knows the average mcat here?

Hey guys, I'm an MS1 here and remember very well how anxiety provoking this whole process is. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Hey guys, I'm an MS1 here and remember very well how anxiety provoking this whole process is. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Hey Malamia, do you happen to know the current GPA and in particularly the rage of MCAT scores their considering? Thanks!

Saludos,

Una de las cartas puede ser de mi PI?

- serrata

Lol Hey! I've seen that you were an active participant in the previous thread. Glad you got in, congrats!
--

Hoping to see a lot of activity in this thread and be able to monitor the calls for II and acceptances/rejections.

Saludos,

Una de las cartas puede ser de mi PI?

- serrata
Si. Solo asegúrate que tres de las cartas sean de profesores que te hayan dado clases y que esas clases aparezcan en tu transcripción, dos de ellas de ciencias.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what does RCM do when a student has taken the MCAT more than once? Do they evaluate the student in accordance to their best MCAT-attempt, or are the scores averaged out?

If you have the same answer for the other PR schools, I would also like to hear what is their procedure.

Hey Malamia, do you happen to know the current GPA and in particularly the rage of MCAT scores their considering? Thanks!

I'm not really sure but you can call the admissions office and get that info!

Lol Hey! I've seen that you were an active participant in the previous thread. Glad you got in, congrats!
--

Hoping to see a lot of activity in this thread and be able to monitor the calls for II and acceptances/rejections.

Thank you!!

Does anyone know what does RCM do when a student has taken the MCAT more than once? Do they evaluate the student in accordance to their best MCAT-attempt, or are the scores averaged out?

If you have the same answer for the other PR schools, I would also like to hear what is their procedure.

I think they consider the last attempt. Definitely not averaged out.

I think they consider the last attempt. Definitely not averaged out.

Thanks for your answer!

My curiosity was so much that I actually sent them an e-mail about two days ago. Te dejo saber que me responden (si es que me responden)!

According to the data of 2015 and 2016 entrances, a GPA within the range of 3.82-3.88; and an MCAT within the range of 500-502, should place you right at the median of accepted students.

Hey, do you know if the students are obtaining residencies in the states? I'm curious if the American (mainland) residency are biased to accept mainland med students before PR med students and what not. Also, do you have to speak Spanish fluently? Thank you.

do you speak spanish ?

I do

Hey, do you know if the students are obtaining residencies in the states? I'm curious if the American (mainland) residency are biased to accept mainland med students before PR med students and what not. Also, do you have to speak Spanish fluently? Thank you.

I'm not sure about the most recent match. I do know that most students here match residencies here in Puerto Rico. But I also know of plenty of students that match for residencies in the US.

yes, you do have to speak Spanish fluently but in order to apply to this school, you need to have strong ties to Puerto Rico (Be a resident or be Puerto Rican from the mainland with plenty of family living here) don't don't bother with people from OOS. Don't even bother applying unless you qualify in that area. If you're not, you can always apply to the other three medical schools in Puerto Rico. They are private schools and they do accept from OOS. But you have to be pretty fluent in Spanish, some even requiere Spanish undergrad course so be sure to check their requirements before applying.

FYI and for future reference, UPR (along with Ponce, UCC and SJB) is a fully accredited US medical school; unlike other schools in the Caribbean. PR is considered a state when it comes to med school and residency applications. It'll come down to your performance whether you match in your chosen specialty or not. So, don't hesitate to apply here if you want to live in a beautiful place and still enjoy all the benefits of a US med student. :)

P.S. If you're asking these questions you probably have no ties to PR. In that case, you should apply to any the other three schools. You should also know quite a bit of spanish, as @cristygen said.

Good luck!

FYI and for future reference, UPR (along with Ponce, UCC and SJB) is a fully accredited US medical school; unlike other schools in the Caribbean. PR is considered a state when it comes to med school and residency applications. [...]

Since I'm also applying to some US schools, just the other day I was wondering if I was considered OOS or International. So it's interesting that you bring that up.

PS. You were spot-on about my MCAT question. They don't take an average. They take the highest one into consideration.

Since I'm also applying to some US schools, just the other day I was wondering if I was considered OOS or International. So it's interesting that you bring that up.

PS. You were spot-on about my MCAT question. They don't take an average. They take the highest one into consideration.

I thought PR was a territory not a state...

I thought PR was a territory not a state...

"Commonwealth" in political terms. As I said, our schools are considered US schools and are accredited by the LCME. I wasn't referring to our political status.

@malamia Any chance the excel file posted in last year's thread, calculating the "points" of a student, is still valid (with the obvious change in CARS' weight)?

@malamia Any chance the excel file posted in last year's thread, calculating the "points" of a student, is still valid (with the obvious change in CARS' weight)?

I honestly wouldn't know.. I used it and it gave me some sense of comfort.. lol but i'm pretty neurotic when it comes to these things.

I found this on last years thread

I think the new formula can look something like this. To be sure we will have to wait for the weight of each section.

Regarding having knowledge about healthcare issues I would recommend:

RCM Journal
http://puertoricohealthcarecrisis.com/news
http://www.medicinaysaludpublica.com/ <- Pretty good for knowledge about the system issues
Periplo profesional de un arquitecto de la salud publica de Puerto Rico - Book

Also this one

RCM formula last year. Changed my stats in the file but it gives a lot of good information.

EDIT: Deleted previous pic due to lack of explanation. Now it includes explanation. In gpa, just multiply the AMCAS score *100 and you will get the respective points in the C column. Enjoy :)

Just got an interview here!!! IS so excited

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Letter came in the mail today. Def wasn't expecting it this soon. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Looks like This year they started super early. Last year I believe they waited until late January if not February!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Looks like This year they started super early. Last year I believe they waited until late January if not February!

Also received the acceptance through mail. I encourage others to check their mailbox frequently; albeit I think there won't be any reason to do so during this immediate period, since they will be going on Christmas break.

Also read -in threads of previous admission cycles- that you should be able to log into your secondary application "Solicitud Uniforme" and check your Decision status in the "Program" tab. However, I was told by a friend that there was a clause that stated that you weren't supposed to be logging into your sec.app after submission. Proceed under your own discretion. Lol

Also received the acceptance through mail. I encourage others to check their mailbox frequently; albeit I think there won't be any reason to do so during this immediate period, since they will be going on Chrismas break.

Also read -in threads of previous admission cycles- that you should be able to log into your secondary application "Solicitud Uniforme" and check your Decision status in the "Program" tab. However, I was told by a friend that there was a clause that stated that you weren't supposed to be logging into your sec.app after submission. Proceed under your own discretion. Lol

HAHAHAHA I used to log in all the time waiting for the decision to be put on there! I would have been in so much trouble.

Maybe that's a new thing. Because I remember in previous years people would call admissions asking about that and they were never told that.

And congrats to you as well!

HAHAHAHA I used to log in all the time waiting for the decision to be put on there! I would have been in so much trouble.

Maybe that's a new thing. Because I remember in previous years people would call admissions asking about that and they were never told that.

And congrats to you as well!

received_10154690363639884-1.jpg

Screenshot que me envío mi compañero. Qué crees?

PS. Thanks!!

My decision status changed to "Admitido" on my secondary, so I called the Admissions office to check if this was official. They said it was, and that I should be receiving my letter soon, so I guess there's nothing wrong with checking your secondary app.

Also, accepted!!

My decision status changed to "Admitido" on my secondary, so I called the Admissions office to check if this was official. They said it was, and that I should be receiving my letter soon, so I guess there's nothing wrong with checking your secondary app.

Also, accepted!!
Congrats!!! Could I ask when you interviewed and what were your stats?

I got interviewed in december and still nothing... should I be worried?

Did you check the online portal (I'm sure you did but just in case)? If there isn't a decision on there yet, then, for now, no news might be good news. They might be waiting to interview other candidates before making a decision. Did you feel good about the interview/bring a portfolio?

Pues no se. Ni me percaté de eso cuando la llené el año pasado si lo decía o no. Yo sé que yo lo seguí revisando y nunca me dijeron algo sobre eso.

So for current applicants, you have been warned.
Creo que no hay problema mirando el portal! Hay un documento titulado "MD Checklist for New Applicants" Revisado Septiembre de 2016 que indica que uno puede ver la solicitud:

"CULMINACION DEL PROCESO: Se espera que el proceso de admisión culmine el 30 de marzo de 2017. Tan pronto se haya tomado decisión para su solicitud, podrá ver la misma en la pestaña 13 de la Solicitud Uniforme del RCM. Luego se le enviará una carta oficial por correo regular."

Did you check the online portal (I'm sure you did but just in case)? If there isn't a decision on there yet, then, for now, no news might be good news. They might be waiting to interview other candidates before making a decision. Did you feel good about the interview/bring a portfolio?

Yes. I've been checking everyday since the interview.
And I felt pretty good after the interview. I guess I'll have to keep waiting.

Hi! MS1 over here. Last year I was interviewed in december, got accepted in February. I know people who were also interviewed in December and were accepted in late March/April. Don't lose hope, if you have good numbers there's no need to worry.

Reactions: 3 users
ADMITIDO!!!!! Entrevista el 22 de diciembre. Primera admision del ciclo! Dice "Admitido" en la Solicitud Uniforme.

Last edited:
A mi también me apareció como "Admitido" hoy, que emoción! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Desición cambió a "Admitido" hoy !!! :clap:

Felicidades a los admitidos! Soy MS1 en UPR así que si tienen alguna pregunta, no duden en preguntar!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Soy MS2 en el recinto. Cualquier pregunta o duda feel free to inbox