2016-2017 University of South Carolina - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2000 characters limit
1. What are your medical practice goals?

2. If it has been more than six months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (part-time, full-time, and dates).

3. In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why?

4. What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?

5. Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@WedgeDawg

2000 characters limit
1. What are your medical practice goals?

2. If it has been more than six months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (part-time, full-time, and dates).

3. In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why?

4. What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?

5. Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?

Reactions: 1 user
For medical practice goals, does it mean describe what type of doctor I want to become in the future?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is more asking whether you want to have your own practice, work in a hospital, etc.
For medical practice goals, does it mean describe what type of doctor I want to become in the future?

I'm OOS also, my primary was "processed" as of 7/21 and got II 7/27 but haven't heard anything since

You mean the secondary? If you've received the "application complete" email, it's just a matter of waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get an email saying that your application is complete? I just got one that said my secondary was received and to ensure that my letters were uploaded.

Did you guys get an email saying that your application is complete? I just got one that said my secondary was received and to ensure that my letters were uploaded.
I got the same. As far as I know, there is no way to check your status with USC, but I would assume as long as your letters are in that you're complete.

I got the same. As far as I know, there is no way to check your status with USC, but I would assume as long as your letters are in that you're complete.

Hey so my application got me a secondary from NyCM but I just got an email today it is on hold because they still haven't gotten my transcript so nothing from MUSC yet.

Should I be worried? I'm checking tomorrow to see if they sent it and if I need to resend but will it be too late in the app process for a chance at a II?

II today! Extremely Excited. OOS. Went here for undergrad. It would be great to stay a Gamecock my whole academic career!

Reactions: 1 users
FIRST II OF THE CYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!! So pumped. OOS. Went here for undergrad. Submitted 7/24. LizzyM 69. GO COCKS :)

Interview invite for the spring semester. Didn't know they even scheduled them that far out...

Interview invite for the spring semester. Didn't know they even scheduled them that far out...
Congrats! It's gonna be a long wait, but at least you got one!

II today for November 2nd! Complete 8/19. So excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the email for a Spring interview! Does anyone know why they would schedule them so far in advance? Does that mean you are lower on the list than others getting interviews for Fall??

SherbertLemon, last year they invited me in October for a February interview and i still got accepted a few days after my interview. Don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

SherbertLemon, last year they invited me in October for a February interview and i still got accepted a few days after my interview. Don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Good to know. Thanks.

A little late, but I got an II August 29th. I submitted my secondary on August 25th

Has anyone gotten any IIs recently? I feel like this thread is silent.

Accepted this morning! First MD acceptance too! So happy!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone supposed to hear yesterday yet to hear from them at all? I interviewed on sept. 21st and they said oct. 17th but I havent heard anything.

Anyone supposed to hear yesterday yet to hear from them at all? I interviewed on sept. 21st and they said oct. 17th but I havent heard anything.

From what I know, that means you're on hold. The same thing happened to me. I didn't get anything in the mail or anything but just from talking to some people that go to USC that's what I can tell. I feel like ****, I thought I had a pretty good interview too. Guess not.

Is there a status check for this school? & are the chances for OOS with no ties to get an II low?

Is there a status check for this school? & are the chances for OOS with no ties to get an II low?

No status check. They do favor IS or ties but not as heavily as MUSC does. If your stats are competitive, I wouldn't lose all hope.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

other than the 2 acceptances that have already posted (congrats to you both, btw :clap::bow:) has anyone else that has interviewed heard anything back yet?

other than the 2 acceptances that have already posted (congrats to you both, btw :clap::bow:) has anyone else that has interviewed heard anything back yet?
I emailed Shelley Streeter asking as I thought I was supposed to hear back last monday. She said they couldn't offer me right now but my application would continue to be reviewed and that letters would go out this week expaining that? Not sure why they don't just send us an email telling us this the day of so we don't have aneurysms but apparently thats how it works.

If I interviewed last wed (10/19) when should I expect to hear either way?

If I interviewed last wed (10/19) when should I expect to hear either way?

I interviewed last Weds as well and I haven't heard anything yet either. The only correspondence I've received is a post card from one of my interviewers. On interview day, I believe they told us that we should hear something from them within a week, but according to what I've read on threads from previous years, those who are accepted tend to get a call just a few days afterwards. For those who are wait listed or have a decision pending, the feedback time frame seems to be a little less clear.

I'm trying not to lose hope yet because I would love to go here, and I thought my interviews actually went pretty well, but I'm starting to have doubts now that it's Tuesday and I haven't heard anything. :(

I interviewed last Weds as well and I haven't heard anything yet either. The only correspondence I've received is a post card from one of my interviewers. On interview day, I believe they told us that we should hear something from them within a week, but according to what I've read on threads from previous years, those who are accepted tend to get a call just a few days afterwards. For those who are wait listed or have a decision pending, the feedback time frame seems to be a little less clear.

I'm trying not to lose hope yet because I would love to go here, and I thought my interviews actually went pretty well, but I'm starting to have doubts now that it's Tuesday and I haven't heard anything. :(
You can always e-mail Shelley Streeter. I did that last year and she was always able to update me instead of waiting for snail mail. Unless they just haven't made a decision yet.

Accepted! Got an email around 3 yesterday to call Dr. Thornhill. He told me I was accepted! First of the cycle! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Whats up guys I'm an M1 here if you have any questions. They tend to hold off throwing out alot of acceptances early on so hang in there. Our school has very high waitlist movement. If you aren't accepted in the month you interview they will continue to look at your app every month when they meet up for the ad com.

Whats up guys I'm an M1 here if you have any questions. They tend to hold off throwing out alot of acceptances early on so hang in there. Our school has very high waitlist movement. If you aren't accepted in the month you interview they will continue to look at your app every month when they meet up for the ad com.
Thank you for the insight. do you know if acceptances are given out once the interview month has passed, but before being waitlisted? It seems like from what I've read, acceptances either come a few days after the interview or in the spring once you've been waitlisted...