2016-2017 University of South Carolina - Greenville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To everyone that's been accepted here, when are you planning on finding housing for next fall? And how can we find roommates?
At some point the student affairs office will send out a newsletter. You can sign up there if you need roommates. It should also have a list of the popular places for students to live in town.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks mate! I just hate how schools wait so long if they know they rejected you already. A little cruel IMO

Yeah its ridiculous, tell us we suck already so we can move on with our lives, i.e make plans for the next cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah its ridiculous, tell us we suck already so we can move on with our lives, i.e make plans for the next cycle
Tell me about it! I've been complete (including secondary) since the first week of August. Not a peep. The only thing I can think of is that I'm OOS.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am OOS as well. With only about 30ish available spots for non-SC residents , I am sure they are holistically reviewing our apps and taking their time. Trust me, I have been nagging their admissions office. Hopefully all us OOS applicants will hear something soon.

Tell me about it! I've been complete (including secondary) since the first week of August. Not a peep. The only thing I can think of is that I'm OOS.
Yeah I am OOS as well. With only about 30ish available spots for non-SC residents , I am sure they are holistically reviewing our apps and taking their time. Trust me, I have been nagging their admissions office. Hopefully all us OOS applicants will hear something soon.

Reactions: 1 users
To everyone that's been accepted here, when are you planning on finding housing for next fall? And how can we find roommates?
I'm planning on going down the Friday of Spring Preview to explore the various neighborhoods around the school and visit a few leasing offices. I would assume that a Facebook group will pop up after the new year once more students are accepted, so that would be a good resource for finding roommates too!

Soo... I got a secondary but never submitted it. I'm OOS with no ties. Now I'm wishing I had submitted my secondary earlier. I have a 4.0 and 501, I can't decide if it would be worth submitting it at this point. Any input?

To anyone who was accepted...did you complete any pre-reqs at a community college? Thanks and congrats.

Soo... I got a secondary but never submitted it. I'm OOS with no ties. Now I'm wishing I had submitted my secondary earlier. I have a 4.0 and 501, I can't decide if it would be worth submitting it at this point. Any input?

Depends on how confident you are in your app and interview skills. Your stats are fine. It's relatively OOS friendly. The only downside is that it's very late in the cycle. I would say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

To anyone who was accepted...did you complete any pre-reqs at a community college? Thanks and congrats.

No but I don't think this school really puts too much emphasis on that. I am curious, was it an upper level pre-req?

Has anyone tried to call the admissions office within the last week or so and gotten an answer? I can't seem to get a hold of anyone at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone tried to call the admissions office within the last week or so and gotten an answer? I can't seem to get a hold of anyone at all.

I haven't heard anything yet but I haven't tried contacting them. Felt that would hurt my chances.

I've only updated my app with some stuff but that's all.

I was expecting to hear something by now but they take their time.

I haven't heard anything yet but I haven't tried contacting them. Felt that would hurt my chances.

I've only updated my app with some stuff but that's all.

I was expecting to hear something by now but they take their time.
The people in the office of admissions are honestly some of the nicest people in the world. So I feel certain that you reaching out wouldn't hurt your chances!

Are they normally this late with responding to OOS?

Are they normally this late with responding to OOS?

I'm in-state.

They actually, from what they told me, take in OOS quite early as they want to give them a fair chance. Unlike MUSC I think Greenville gives about 25% of its seats to OOS? That's what I got in my e-mail. Conversely MUSC I think is <10%?

So it may be that for OOS it's a bit faster at first and then the acceptance process slows significantly as they have a bigger pool.

By the way I called them but no answer. I hope I hear something before Feb.

has anyone gotten an II recently? any OOS IIs?
I received an II last week and I'm OOS. I was complete first week of August and had silence up until last week. I'm not sure how many more interviews they have lined up, but I was only given ~1 week's notice for mine, so I think there's a good chance there are at least a handful of IIs left to come.

Reactions: 6 users
Was accepted to my top choice so I will be pulling out. Hope it gives somebody some good news! (OOS)

Reactions: 2 users
I still have not heard a word from the admissions committee about an interview. I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. In state. Completed since October. Not sure why I haven't heard anything yet. I have interviews at the other schools I applied to, but Greenville is my top choice currently. Would it be rude/annoying/overbearing to email someone and ask if there is anything else I could be doing at this point?

Last edited:
To everyone who has already interviewed here, can you give some insight/advice on the MMI interviews? I interview tomorrow and I'm a little nervous about the MMI.

To everyone who has already interviewed here, can you give some insight/advice on the MMI interviews? I interview tomorrow and I'm a little nervous about the MMI.
I haven't interviewed there this year but a lot of my friends have. I've heard very mixed reviews over it. I would assume if you have any experience with patient interviews or how to talk to patients, you'll do fine.

Does anyone know when we should receive our financial aid offers/ when the next meeting is?

So when do you think we should hear back from Jan. 31 interviews?

How did it go?? I'm interviewing tomorrow and I haven't experienced an MMI yet so I'm getting nervous! Hope it went well for you!

How did it go?? I'm interviewing tomorrow and I haven't experienced an MMI yet so I'm getting nervous! Hope it went well for you!

It was fine! Nothing too crazy and the interviewers really help you feel comfortable!

Does anyone know if they are receptive to in the area emails? I will be in SC for another interview and to visit my grandparents at the beginning of March. I haven't been offered an interview here yet, but I love the school!

Does anyone know if they are receptive to in the area emails? I will be in SC for another interview and to visit my grandparents at the beginning of March. I haven't been offered an interview here yet, but I love the school!
Yeah they are. I know a guy who sent one and was granted an interview not too long afterwards.

Has anyone who received the "continue to evaluate" e-mail heard anything else?

Nope. Been complete for months and no word. I feel like it's a silent rejection.

Got the "continue to evaluate" letter Oct. 17th. Silence since then. I've sent multiple salient update letters as well.

Still no word.

Sent updates. As much as they say "this is not a wait-list" it sure seems that way.

Well I still have one left. I hope that one's the one to take me.

Last edited:
Still no word.

Sent updates. As much as they say "this is not a wait-list" it sure seems that way.

Well I still have one left. I hope that one's the one to take me.
Tell me about it... I'm on hold with all three SC schools. I'm just hoping that increases my chances of making it onto at least one waiting list. Good luck with the last one! Hopefully they won't put you in application cycle purgatory as the others did.

Where do we send thank you notes to after we interview?

Where do we send thank you notes to after we interview?
I would address them to the interviewer but send it to the admissions address. When I was there we briefly met in the admissions headquarters room and I saw a box of letters. I think the adcom members come and pick them up when the committee meets.

I would address them to the interviewer but send it to the admissions address. When I was there we briefly met in the admissions headquarters room and I saw a box of letters. I think the adcom members come and pick them up when the committee meets.

Oh god I was under the impression to not bother them too much after the fact and the those letters were "tacky". Did I make a big mistake by not sending thank you letters and how should I format it after it's been a while?

Every time I think I'm on top of this process something feels like it slips through the cracks.

Last edited: