2016-2017 University of South Carolina - Greenville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh god I was under the impression to not bother them too much after the fact and the those letters were "tacky". Did I make a big mistake by not sending thank you letters and how should I format it after it's been a while?

Every time I think I'm on top of this process something feels like it slips through the cracks.
Nah you are fine. Thank you letters aren't a make or break move at most schools. It's just a polite thing to do as they are professionals who take their time out of their day to interview you. Some schools like wake forest put every correspondence in your file so a thank you letter looks good when they are reviewing to select from the wait list, but that's the most I've heard. Also think I just sent emails to my Greenville interviewers and was accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone going to the spring preview on 3/18?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Me!! Can't wait!

Does anyone know about the roommate list? I signed up for it but how do we see the list of other people who need a roommate? Or are they going to send it out to everyone later?

Also is there a Facebook group yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't the committee meeting on the 15th? I think that's what we were told at interviews on Jan 31st!

Members don't see this ad :)
Me!! Can't wait!

Does anyone know about the roommate list? I signed up for it but how do we see the list of other people who need a roommate? Or are they going to send it out to everyone later?

Also is there a Facebook group yet?
No Facebook group yet- I was going to make one but I didn't know anyone else who had accepted the offer yet!! My name is Taylor Brown (charlotte, nc) if y'all want to friend me though and I can make a group!

I'm OOS, LizzyM - 69-70, and my secondary has been complete since October 16th. I haven't received any emails saying "continue to evaluate" or anything. Does this school do silent rejections or something? Am I wrong in assuming that I'm not being considered here anymore?

Reactions: 3 users
What did you guys include on the scholarship application where it says "what more do you want the committee to know"?

What did you guys include on the scholarship application where it says "what more do you want the committee to know"?

Literally anything else you want the committee to know. Your favorite color perhaps? That's only a question you can supply the answer too. It is too personal a question for anyone here to give you meaningful input.

Does anyone know when they wrap up interviews and form the waitlist? Mid-march?

Do acceptances and "continue to evaluate" statuses come by phone, email, or snail mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone aware of any individuals initially getting the "continue to evaluate" email and then subsequently being accepted?

Anyone aware of any individuals initially getting the "continue to evaluate" email and then subsequently being accepted?
I've seen people on other threads get accepted after receiving this status, but I'm pretty sure it was in March or afterwardsa once the waitlist was formulated, not throughout the year like they make it seem.

Reactions: 3 users
On their "secondary application complete" email they say that they interview through March. I would guess that if they actually do interview to the end of March, then you have maybe a week or two left. Don't lose hope!

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is meeting today? I think we are supposed to hear something by the end of this week for recent interviews!

I got an interview for MUSC and USC - Columbia but haven't heard anything from USC-Greenville. Anyone have any ideas on what could have been the issue? I know they have my completed app. MCAT - 503; GPA - 3.98

I got an interview for MUSC and USC - Columbia but haven't heard anything from USC-Greenville. Anyone have any ideas on what could have been the issue? I know they have my completed app. MCAT - 503; GPA - 3.98
I was in the same boat until about the second week in January when I updated my GPA on the update link and the next day I received an interview invite! I interviewed on January 31st!

I haven't heard anything today either, but my fingers are crossed and I wish everyone here the best!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on January 31st and just got the "continuing to evaluate" email... Anybody know of someone who received this email in years past that had some good news come from it?

I interviewed on January 31st and just got the "continuing to evaluate" email... Anybody know of someone who received this email in years past that had some good news come from it?
Wait list spots are afforded to some of those who receive the "continuing to evaluate" email, and some seats in the class ultimately come from the wait list, so it isn't a death sentence if that's what you're asking.

Are you IS or OOS?

Wait list spots are afforded to some of those who receive the "continuing to evaluate" email, and some seats in the class ultimately come from the wait list, so it isn't a death sentence if that's what you're asking.

I wander if there is any preference given to those that received that status early in the admissions cycle, i.e. October. I've got to think those that received interrviews in August and September received early interviews for a reason.

I wander if there is any preference given to those that received that status early in the admissions cycle, i.e. October. I've got to think those that received interrviews in August and September received early interviews for a reason.
That would be nice because I interviewed in october. I don't know if it has any actual bearing though on the ultimate decision.

That would be nice because I interviewed in october. I don't know if it has any actual bearing though on the ultimate decision.

I agree the physical date of one's interview has little to no direct bearing on an admissions decision. However, I do wander if it does though by proxy. One would think the strongest candidates get earlier interview dates. I can't hardly imagine candidates extended interviews Aug. - Oct. are the middle of the pack or lower bunch. No offense to anyone here, and I do realize there are circumstances where exceptional candidates get their apps in later than others. Just trying to superimpose some logic and reason on this mysterious admissions process. Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about my chances lol. Who knows.

I agree the physical date of one's interview has little to no direct bearing on an admissions decision. However, I do wander if it does though by proxy. One would think the strongest candidates get earlier interview dates. I can't hardly imagine candidates extended interviews Aug. - Oct. are the middle of the pack or lower bunch. No offense to anyone here, and I do realize there are circumstances where exceptional candidates get their apps in later than others. Just trying to superimpose some logic and reason on this mysterious admissions process. Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about my chances lol. Who knows.
I would consider myself a member of the lower tier in terms of applicants. Decent MCAT, low GPA. I have good ECs, but that's about it. So they generally do dole out interview invitations to people they're most interested in early on, but that doesn't always translate to a high admissions score (the number generated by the adcom taking into consideration all parts of the app and process). That number, once determined, decides your fate. They establish a baseline acceptance score, and anyone at or above gets in; those below are placed on hold or not interviewed. The threshold is subject to change throughout the cycle, which is why they tell you that you could still be accepted in later months even if you aren't initially accepted.

I'm ultimately just asking if anyone has ever received an acceptance form this category before a wait list was formed, but I guess knowing that doesn't really change anything. They're going to make us wait regardless :smack:

I'm ultimately just asking if anyone has ever received an acceptance form this category before a wait list was formed, but I guess knowing that doesn't really change anything. They're going to make us wait regardless :smack:
That, I can't answer definitively. I've looked at past years' threads and haven't found an instance of that (first hand anyway), but that's not to say it doesn't happen. Keep hope.

Got ya. Props to you for getting an interview at MUSC. For all us out-of-staters like myself they sent out an email early on more or less saying don't even bother applying without a 507.

Got ya. Props to you for getting an interview at MUSC. For all us out-of-staters like myself they sent out an email early on more or less saying don't even bother applying without a 507.
Really? When did you get this email? I have 2 friends ,and my sister from OS who were accepted here.
MCAT- 500, 505, 512

Also none of them got this email .

I am OOS GPA 4.00, MCAT 507, graduated in 3 years, Nutrition major and I absolutely LOVE this school! Haven't heard a yes or no regarding interview invite, I just know my application is still under review. Is there any hope that I still might get an interview in March and would I have a shot at getting an acceptance? I am accepted at my in-state school but would come to Greenville in a heart beat. Let me know if anyone knows that all the interview invites are already sent out!! Thanks!

Are you all bringing your parents or other family to second look weekend or not? I was under the assumption that second look was just for students, but the Greenville page says you can bring two guests and it mentions touring the hospital with your family.

I am OOS GPA 4.00, MCAT 507, graduated in 3 years, Nutrition major and I absolutely LOVE this school! Haven't heard a yes or no regarding interview invite, I just know my application is still under review. Is there any hope that I still might get an interview in March and would I have a shot at getting an acceptance? I am accepted at my in-state school but would come to Greenville in a heart beat. Let me know if anyone knows that all the interview invites are already sent out!! Thanks!
Send an email telling them you're still interested. I would mention that you already have an acceptance so that they really understand you would like to go to USC-G. All the admissions folks are really nice, so I think they'd be amenable.

Send an email telling them you're still interested. I would mention that you already have an acceptance so that they really understand you would like to go to USC-G. All the admissions folks are really nice, so I think they'd be amenable.
Are you sure it's proper form to send something like that? I don't want "bugging the admissions staff" to negatively affect any chance I might have

Really? When did you get this email? I have 2 friends ,and my sister from OS who were accepted here.
MCAT- 500, 505, 512

Also none of them got this email .

The following was stated in the MUSC email invite to complete the secondary application I received:

"Out of State Applicants- South Carolina residency is of primary consideration in the screening process for the regular MD program. Most out-of-state applicants who are selected for interviews have close South Carolina ties (having lived in SC or having relatives who live here), along with MCAT scores of ‘508’ or higher, and an excellent undergraduate GPA of 3.6 or higher."

So I was mistakes, a 508, not a 507.

Additionally, a 500?? Seriously? And they were accepted? Not like I'm sitting on a 515 or anything, but 500 is down right atrocious. No offense, but what demographic is this person from?

The following was stated in the MUSC email invite to complete the secondary application I received:

"Out of State Applicants- South Carolina residency is of primary consideration in the screening process for the regular MD program. Most out-of-state applicants who are selected for interviews have close South Carolina ties (having lived in SC or having relatives who live here), along with MCAT scores of ‘508’ or higher, and an excellent undergraduate GPA of 3.6 or higher."

So I was mistakes, a 508, not a 507.

Additionally, a 500?? Seriously? And they were accepted? Not like I'm sitting on a 515 or anything, but 500 is down right atrocious. No offense, but what demographic is this person from?
Please be sensitive to other applicants who may have a 500.
We are Caucasian. My sister has close ties (military brat).. the others, who knows. Best with your process.

Please be sensitive to other applicants who may have a 500.
We are Caucasian. My sister has close ties (military brat).. the others, who knows. Best with your process.

No offense by any means. That is just a very surprising statistic. Thanks for the reply.

Are you sure it's proper form to send something like that? I don't want "bugging the admissions staff" to negatively affect any chance I might have
Well, you could always tell them that you'll be in the neighborhood and would like to drop by if they'll have you. However, I don't think it is in poor form to let them know you're really interested in the school and would love an interview if they had spots available. But you just have to decide for yourself whether you're comfortable doing so.

Are you all bringing your parents or other family to second look weekend or not? I was under the assumption that second look was just for students, but the Greenville page says you can bring two guests and it mentions touring the hospital with your family.
Yeah I'm going to bring my parents. We're going down the day before to check out apartments!