2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that USF is really strict about not accepting AP/IB credits for english classes?

Is it true that USF is really strict about not accepting AP/IB credits for english classes?
I'm starting at USF this Fall, and I had no English classes outside of AP and speech. I emailed them, and they said they look at everything case by case, and if there's an issue they'll contact you. Try to email them directly to be sure. They usually respond fast on the same day

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they have a GPA/MCAT cutoff for their OOS applicants?

Do they have a GPA/MCAT cutoff for their OOS applicants?
If they do, it may be low. I'm starting here in the fall as OOS and I have a <3.0 uGPA but have a masters (3.9 GPA) and a 36 MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Is this school rolling admissions? Which florida schools are rolling admissions? Which FLorida schools do not wait to send out interviews until september?

I would think that most medical schools are on a rolling basis..

To find out the approximate time schools start interviewing, it might be a good idea to peruse previous threads. For instance, USF began interviewing at the end of August for the 2015-2016 application cycle.

Hope this helps, good luck everyone!

Last edited:
4. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Please choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
Private Practice
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Health Care Administration
Health Policy
Other

b. Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in question 4a.
2000 character count

The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.

Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question. (http://health.usf.edu/medicine/mdprogram/scp/index.htm)

a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? 2000 character count

2000 character count for these as well
1. The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?

2. Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare.

3. Please describe your disadvantaged circumstances and/or life obstacles and how they affected your academic performance (positively and/or negatively). Please be specific.
(Optional)

4. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts).

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Just received my secondary today! Good luck to all! :highfive:

What's with the B- explanation ? No other school has asked for this .

Is anyone else's document status saying letters not received even though USF is under the destinations on your AMCAS letters? I had my sent but USF is saying not received

Members don't see this ad :)
4. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Please choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
Private Practice
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Health Care Administration
Health Policy
Other

b. Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in question 4a.
2000 character count

The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.

Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question. (http://health.usf.edu/medicine/mdprogram/scp/index.htm)

a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? 2000 character count

2000 character count for these as well
1. The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?

2. Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare.

3. Please describe your disadvantaged circumstances and/or life obstacles and how they affected your academic performance (positively and/or negatively). Please be specific.
(Optional)

4. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts).

Hey! I was looking at my secondary and I didn't have question number 3 (about the disadvantaged circumstances). Did everyone else get this question as well? Thanks so much!!

Is anyone else's document status saying letters not received even though USF is under the destinations on your AMCAS letters? I had my sent but USF is saying not received

Not sure if you had this resolved yet, but you should e-mail them to make sure. Either they didn't process it all through or there is a content letter that they are looking for.

Hey! I was looking at my secondary and I didn't have question number 3 (about the disadvantaged circumstances). Did everyone else get this question as well? Thanks so much!!

If I am remembering correctly from last cycle's thread, I believe this question only shows up if you marked yourself as disadvantaged in your AMCAS application.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
If I am remembering correctly from last cycle's thread, I believe this question only shows up if you marked yourself as disadvantaged in your AMCAS application.
I did say I was disadvantaged on my AMCAS so that may be it.

Not sure if you had this resolved yet, but you should e-mail them to make sure. Either they didn't process it all through or there is a content letter that they are looking for.
It was updated the next day! Thanks though! I guess I just need to work on my patience :poke:

Anyone submit this beast yet?

I've been working on this secondary. Do you guys think it's acceptable to use only half of the allotted characters? I feel like I don't need 2000 characters to convey my message and I don't want to take up 2000 characters just to take up 2000 characters, but at the same time, I don't want ADCOMs to think I was too lazy to write more. What do you guys think?

1. The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life.

I stopped reading there and just beamed. Is that bad?! :) OMGosh, I might (!) have a shot.:)

I've been working on this secondary. Do you guys think it's acceptable to use only half of the allotted characters? I feel like I don't need 2000 characters to convey my message and I don't want to take up 2000 characters just to take up 2000 characters, but at the same time, I don't want ADCOMs to think I was too lazy to write more. What do you guys think?
As long as you're getting your message across effectively, I don't think it's necessary to take up the 2000 characters. Quality over quantity I would think.

Wow wow wow. FINALLY submitted this secondary. Really happy to have this off my list... Good luck!!

Wow wow wow. FINALLY submitted this secondary. Really happy to have this off my list... Good luck!!
How did you approach the skills/knowledge/attribute prompt? Were you pretty straight forward in simply listing experiences and describing what you learned/skills you gained?

How did you approach the skills/knowledge/attribute prompt? Were you pretty straight forward in simply listing experiences and describing what you learned/skills you gained?
Yes, fairly strait forward. I pointed to specific experiences and what I learned/how they are relevant to medicine!

Yes, fairly strait forward. I pointed to specific experiences and what I learned/how they are relevant to medicine!
That's what I'm doing well- seems the best way to approach it! Thanks!

Also, do y'all think it would be appropriate to discuss my experience and struggles with type 1 diabetes and how it has stimulated my interest for endocrinology and diabetes research? (Part of undergraduate research was with this, as well) I don't really know if this is the kind of thing the prompt is asking..any insight?

Also, do y'all think it would be appropriate to discuss my experience and struggles with type 1 diabetes and how it has stimulated my interest for endocrinology and diabetes research? (Part of undergraduate research was with this, as well) I don't really know if this is the kind of thing the prompt is asking..any insight?
Sounds good!

Do you know what is meant by private practice? My career goal is to work in a clinic with multiple branches where I don't to own it. Is this under private practice as well?

Do you know what is meant by private practice? My career goal is to work in a clinic with multiple branches where I don't to own it. Is this under private practice as well?
Me too. I feel like private practice is the closest one, so select that. But then you could specify in the narrative.

That's awesome! I have uncle with t1d, also. It really connects together.

So for the residency form, we are required to check that we are independent. I'm technically not an independent person for tax purposes and have not yet started claiming independent Florida residency (I mean, I was born here, but I don't think that counts...). What should I do?

So for the residency form, we are required to check that we are independent. I'm technically not an independent person for tax purposes and have not yet started claiming independent Florida residency (I mean, I was born here, but I don't think that counts...). What should I do?
I called about this as I was also born here. Yes, you're supposed to put your own info.

I called about this as I was also born here. Yes, you're supposed to put your own info.
Gotcha- do you know when we started claiming residency? birthdate? first driver's license? matriculation to professional school date? thank you!

Gotcha- do you know when we started claiming residency? birthdate? first driver's license? matriculation to professional school date? thank you!
Oh I didn't ask that but UF said that birthdate/move-to-FL date is what they consider residency so I'm gonna use that for USF too

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Where does it say that we are required to put independent? What if we are a dependent?

That's mean I have to claim as dependent student despite of I am only 20 years old ( stay in Florida since 2003 & not born here ) ? I just like to make sure . Thanks.
Yes, it is to determine that you are a FL resident, rather than just your parents I guess.

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Did you guys submit your residency form with the app or did you email separately?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
With app. I almost emailed it because the first time I tried to upload it the file was too large but then I tried again and it worked for some reason. But it says you can do either.

Hey guys! Do you know how responsive USF is with emails? I emailed them over the weekend and didn't get an automatic reply that they received my email inquiry like other schools do. Thanks so much guys!!

What kind of rec letters did you all send? How many did you send?