2016-2017 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard about the Currie Hall option, but I'm in the same position as you as far as housing goes.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Currie hall is filled and is now placing people on a waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Future applicant here to those of you who can give me some ideas,

How creative did you go about the secondaries? No need to tell me of what you wrote about obviously but just curious how many took the "safe" approach vs experimental approach.

Thanks

I did a mix of both. Some responses were more crazy than others. I'm not sure how much secondaries mattered because the screening seemed to be pretty numbers based

Members don't see this ad :)

How creative did you go about the secondaries? No need to tell me of what you wrote about obviously but just curious how many took the "safe" approach vs experimental approach.

Thanks

I received my II literally 2 hours after I submitted my secondary, so I'm not too sure if it really matters.

I don't know how much of it is numbers-based! Had pretty experimental secondary answers, though.

My LizzyM is ~78, and I was rejected pre-II here. (Have gotten multiple interviews at schools that are more highly ranked.)

I did a mix of both. Some responses were more crazy than others. I'm not sure how much secondaries mattered because the screening seemed to be pretty numbers based

Another acceptee here. This dude(tte)'s probably right. However, I will add two bites of information:

(1) A genuine take will generally trump creativity in secondaries. Granted, those two do go together, but a little reminder to lean back from the brush strokes to breath in the canvas never hurts. You already have a unique background (Yes. Yes you do, fool. Don't look at me like that.), now show it!

(2) Stats - particularly the MCAT- are definitely a thing. That said, having been whacked over the right end of the luck stick, they definitely aren't everything. I'm a scrub (for this school) statistically (~70LizzyM, less than 200hrs clinical/volunteer, athlete + 1 year non-lab research, non-URM) with no connections.

They definitely take the breadth and uniqueness of experiences into account, so show 'em off! I'd bet my left asscheek many I got picked over many people (and vice-versa for several schools at which I was rejected) not because I was more or less "qualified," but because my story was presented in a way which "fit" the class model they were trying to build.

This facet also helps you with your own school selection process. Some schools may not have a vision or focus which meshes with who you are. Generally, you can still apply broadly without wasting money on such programs. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks

I had a blast with their secondary! I made my answers fun, but also genuine. I focused mostly on my personal interests and stories that were not related to medicine. Interviewed early and accepted early too!

From my interview day per Dr. Arias (Dean of Admissions), this is the background behind their secondary:

USC used to ask the standard questions about diversity and why USC, but admissions realized that it wasn't distinguishing the applicants enough. Dr. Arias made it seem like the last straw was reading an essay about why USC with another med school's name inserted in the essay. So she decided to ask her current medical students for unique secondary questions, gathered and filtered through the answers, and settled on the ones they now ask. Dr. Arias believes that these questions reveal far more than the standard questions, elucidating what the applicants value and facets of their character.

I agree with what one poster here already said. Sincerity in your answers is most important! Don't write what you think they want to read, write what is true for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if there is a second look day?

Anyone know when scholarships are granted, if any?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when we'll get more information beyond the acceptance letter?

Are decisions only on Tuesdays? Thanks guys

That is what Dr. Arias said. The Admissions Committee meets every other Monday and she sends out results on Tuesday. I believe tomorrow will be the next round of decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I actually did not get my acceptance on a Tuesday (this was back in october)

Accepted just now! Blown away!! Interviewed 13 Jan

Reactions: 3 users
Oh snap! Congrats y'all! Hoping for good news of a late Jan interview but might be pushed til next adcom meeting !

Edit: Accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
On alternate list, pretty bummed. I hope there's some movement after April 30, this jumped to my top choice post-interview.

accepted!!!! interviewed late jan
opened the email the second i woke up and almost flew out of bed haha

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed in mid October lmao but SO PUMPED! didn't get an email for some reason but there's an offer letter in my portal so fingers crossed that it's not a mistake
Edit: got the email just now!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! I loved this school and feel very thankful. Good luck to everyone as well!

Interviewed 1/24. Non-trad, international, LizzyM ~78.

ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed in mid October lmao but SO PUMPED! didn't get an email for some reason but there's an offer letter in my portal so fingers crossed that it's not a mistake
Edit: got the email just now!

Been waiting to see whether you got in or not. That's a hell of a long time to hear back.

Does anyone have information on whether an interview on 2/22/17 would likely be for a waitlist spot?

Does anyone have information on whether an interview on 2/22/17 would likely be for a waitlist spot?

Dr. Arias specifically said that USC doesn't interview for waitlist spots. You have a fair shot at admission, just as everyone else that interviews, does.

Does anyone have any information on housing options near campus? I heard that the residence hall is now full, so does that just leave apartments?

creeps in for any talk of a facebook group

Anyone know if II are still going out or if I haven't heard anything by now it's a silent rejection? (Complete in September)

Been asking after this for a few months haha. I deferred from last year, anxious to meet my future classmates! +1 for living in Currie Hall!

Was there an official Facebook group last year? I'm living in Currie Hall as well.

Facebook group made:

KECK '21 Admitted Students

It's a closed group, but I'll add any member requests whenever I happen to pop online. Come one, come all. It's about to get glorious.

Facebook group made:

KECK '21 Admitted Students

It's a closed group, but I'll add any member requests whenever I happen to pop online. Come one, come all. It's about to get glorious.

It's lit.

@ current students, do you know if many students live in DTLA? and what would the commute look like with LA traffic?

DTLA traffic is no joke. But if you live just south of where the 110/101 meet (also a very nice section of DT), you can get to campus in less than 10minutes.

Can't say I'd recommend living right next to campus....

Edit: a lot of students live in Pasadena and like it. Another option
Why don't you recommend living right next to campus? (aka are you referring to Currie Hall?)

Why don't you recommend living right next to campus? (aka are you referring to Currie Hall?)
Currie hall is nice but there is literally nothing around there to do. If I reall correctly, there's not even an easily accessible grocery store.

@ current students, do you know if many students live in DTLA? and what would the commute look like with LA traffic?
The students I know at Keck live in South Pasadena, Alhambra, or Silver Lake. Downtown is fine if you are willing to pay more for rent.