2016-2017 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also on the alternate list. Waiting for Dean Strother's response now. Hoping for the best. I will just be happy to be higher on the list than my last cycle haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm top 3rd too. Hmm, I guess it's a waiting game. When does movement generally happen?
I sent an email to Mr NS last week on Friday that I did not get my final decision letter. He responded the same day, that 'the letters were mailed out today'. I checked today and got the Acceptance. Your's may be en route. I think the movement has already started; as I was on hold, and got the letter today.

I sent an email to Mr NS last week on Friday that I did not get my final decision letter. He responded the same day, that 'the letters were mailed out today'. I checked today and got the Acceptance. Your's may be en route. I think the movement has already started; as I was on hold, and got the letter today.
Were you placed on the alternate list and then immediately accepted? Or were you just on hold and never an alternate?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Were you placed on the alternate list and then immediately accepted? Or were you just on hold and never on an alternate?
I asked Dean Strother if I was in some alternate list. I never got a response to that. I was just told that final decision letters have been mailed out and to check the mail. And so I was shocked to get an Acceptance, since I never expected it to begin with. I may have been put on an alternate list, but I am not sure. Or, perhaps I made it through the final decision in regular cycle.

Top 3rd! Good luck to y'all in that part with me!

Reactions: 3 users
I asked Dean Strother if I was in some alternate list. I never got a response to that. I was just told that final decision letters have been mailed out and to check the mail. And so I was shocked to get an Acceptance, since I never expected it to begin with. I may have been put on an alternate list, but I am not sure. Or, perhaps I made it through the final decision in regular cycle.
Ok I gotcha. I expect you were just in the last round of acceptances from the regular cycle.

Ok I gotcha. I expect you were just in the last round of acceptances from the regular cycle.
I suppose so. So many years (5+) have gone into this day. I left a career in Engg, IT, to become a pre-med and now this. I don't know how to process this news yet.

I'm living off of all yalls good news! I'm not home to check my mail (and it's killing me lol) but it's awesome to hear about y'all!!

Reactions: 1 users
Did y'alls letters offer advice on what to do to improve your application for next year?

No just states on the alternate list. You have to contact them directly for that.

For those receiving not so great news, I would contact Dean Strother and he will definitely give you advice on what to do. I did this exact thing after last cycle and I feel that this cycle was so much better for me after following his advice. The best piece of advice I can give is to not give up. While I have not been accepted to any MD programs yet, I have gotten into several DO programs and I know what it is like to have to go through it again.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Top third, but I think that means past >60

:(

Yep. Being top third by no means is a guarantee. If you're in the top half of that part, chances are good as they in the past few years have accepted in the upper fifties from the alternate list and there are about 82 people in that top third.

Yep. Being top third by no means is a guarantee. If you're in the top half of that part, chances are good as they in the past few years have accepted in the upper fifties from the alternate list and there are about 82 people in that top third.

Ahhh, perhaps, I keep telling myself though that if I was top 50, he'd say that instead of top 3rd

edit: Plus, I'm worried b/c I'm going out of the country for a month, so I'm trying to get apartments done ASAP. D:

Ahhh, perhaps, I keep telling myself though that if I was top 50, he'd say that instead of top 3rd

edit: Plus, I'm worried b/c I'm going out of the country for a month, so I'm trying to get apartments done ASAP. D:

From past years, I don't believe he has given any indication other than which third you're a part of.

From past years, I don't believe he has given any indication other than which third you're a part of.

I noticed in last years thread that a lot were told a little more specifics. Like top 30, top 60, top 75 etc.

Got a call from Dean Strother today! I haven't gotten my letter yet, but I'm assuming I was on wait list because he said a spot opened up! So seems like waitlist movement has begun! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Upper third here. I'm wondering if there is a chance that they are not telling specific numbers ? I'd like to be optimistic that some of us are in the top 50.Who knows though...

Upper third here. I'm wondering if there is a chance that they are not telling specific numbers ? I'd like to be optimistic that some of us are in the top 50.Who knows though...

Yea I'd definitely like to think that at least a few of us are in the first part of the waitlist. Only time will tell.

Ugh. I've psyched my self out by looking back at past threads now. People have definitely been given more definite numbers.

I was just told I'm in the top third, as well. Did Mr. Strother's response to y'all say that he is letting everyone know that they need to be sure and have a secondary plan as they don't know the number of offers they'll send out? Hoping that wasn't just an addition to mine pretty much saying "better luck next year chump"

I was just told I'm in the top third, as well. Did Mr. Strother's response to y'all say that he is letting everyone know that they need to be sure and have a secondary plan as they don't know the number of offers they'll send out? Hoping that wasn't just an addition to mine pretty much saying "better luck next year chump"

Yep he said that in mine too.

I'm in the middle third and was told the exact same thing. Most likely a template as I'm sure he's gotten hundreds of emails this week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I suppose so. So many years (5+) have gone into this day. I left a career in Engg, IT, to become a pre-med and now this. I don't know how to process this news yet.
Does this mean I'm not the only "old" person in the class? 5+ years for me as well!

Good luck everyone! Hopefully there will be even more movement today!

Does anyone know if you can defer/delay matriculation after accepting the offer? I may need to do this, but don't really want to email the admissions office this questions. Thanks!

Does anyone know if you can defer/delay matriculation after accepting the offer? I may need to do this, but don't really want to email the admissions office this questions. Thanks!

It seems like you definitely can.
ImageUploadedBySDN1494352825.931267.jpg

I'm still waiting on my letter. I got the e-mail last Friday and live in Memphis. Haven't gotten either the decision or survey yet. The wait is killing me.

According to my friend who is a current student at UT, he heard that someone who was "Top 50" got in yesterday. Not sure how accurate that is, but it could mean the wait list is moving quite a bit? Just something to think about for my fellow wait list sufferers

Does this mean I'm not the only "old" person in the class? 5+ years for me as well!
I am right there with you, and look forward to seeing you in class. Until Aug then....

Has anyone themselves heard anything other than "top 1/3"? Last year, if you were placed in the top 1/3 you were typically told where, at least for my friends.

Has anyone themselves heard anything other than "top 1/3"? Last year, if you were placed in the top 1/3 you were typically told where, at least for my friends.

All I was told was top third. I wonder if they are being more general this year or if I'm just towards the end of the top third.

Nope. Just top 3rd for me too.

I wonder if we could email Dean Strother, citing that people were told more specific in previous cycles and try and get some more info from him?

I wonder if we could email Dean Strother, citing that people were told more specific in previous cycles and try and get some more info from him?
Last time I talked to him he sounded really stressed so just a heads up that he might not be his usual chipper self

Last time I talked to him he sounded really stressed so just a heads up that he might not be his usual chipper self

Gotcha. Even if I were to email him to find out more, it'd definitely be after waiting a little while.

I would wait a bit... I imagine his office phone and email has blown up everyday this week. As far as the Top 1/3 thing goes, I guess my concern is there seems to be less SDN action compared to last year as far as people commenting where they are, but I know applications for this cycle were down as well.

I would wait a bit... I imagine his office phone and email has blown up everyday this week. As far as the Top 1/3 thing goes, I guess my concern is there seems to be less SDN action compared to last year as far as people commenting where they are, but I know applications for this cycle were down as well.
I was thinking that too about people not talking. I'm still waiting on a letter. I changed my address so I'm hoping that doesn't effect anythig

I was thinking that too about people not talking. I'm still waiting on a letter. I changed my address so I'm hoping that doesn't effect anythig

Well hoping you get good news and soon!

the stress from the waiting is incredible...

I think we will be able to breath a sigh of relief once one of us that was just told top third is accepted.