2016-2017 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you receive a secondary are you likely to get an interview? The secondary was just a form not essays so I'm confused on how they select

According to a doctor who works at UT, secondary = II

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How long did it take people to get an II after they got the "secondary complete" email? I'm assuming it varies by person, but just thought I'd ask. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take people to get an II after they got the "secondary complete" email? I'm assuming it varies by person, but just thought I'd ask. :)
Are you IS or OOS? Also when were you complete? A lot of us have been waiting since August - most of us were complete then. It appears they're going through it by stats. Looking at last year's threads, even being complete in August you could have an interview in April.

Are you IS or OOS? Also when were you complete? A lot of us have been waiting since August - most of us were complete then. It appears they're going through it by stats. Looking at last year's threads, even being complete in August you could have an interview in April.
Ah darn. I'm OOS and was complete Oct 7th so I'll probably be waiting for a while. Thanks for the insight though. :)

Does anyone know how long after an interview to expect an acceptance/rejection
My interview day Dean Strother told us that the first admissions committee meeting will be October 28th with decisions going out the next week on the 4th of November. I think he said they would then do a meeting per month after that, but I'm not as sure about that. So then to answer your question, it might depend on when you interview more than just a consistent two week window or something like that.

My interview day Dean Strother told us that the first admissions committee meeting will be October 28th with decisions going out the next week on the 4th of November. I think he said they would then do a meeting per month after that, but I'm not as sure about that. So then to answer your question, it might depend on when you interview more than just a consistent two week window or something like that.

Thank you!! :) good luck scooter

Have their been many other interview invites? I know that UT is a little bit behind the curve and doesn't attract as many applicants, but it seems like there have been very few interviews for it being the middle of October already.

Have their been many other interview invites? I know that UT is a little bit behind the curve and doesn't attract as many applicants, but it seems like there have been very few interviews for it being the middle of October already.
I think the people getting IIs are just not avid posters but they're definitely still going. They don't interview in as huge amounts as other schools that interview 20 people per day. If you have a secondary, don't worry. You have a good chance of being accepted if you're OOS

I think the people getting IIs are just not avid posters but they're definitely still going. They don't interview in as huge amounts as other schools that interview 20 people per day. If you have a secondary, don't worry. You have a good chance of being accepted if you're OOS
You mean IS?

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean IS?
They don't get very many secondaries to the OOS applicants, so chances of acceptance for that would be greater. They seem to interview a lot of IS in comparison. I'm not sure though are you IS and when was your secondary sent in? I'm IS as well. They seem to be going through by stats and haven't hit me yet!

They don't get very many secondaries to the OOS applicants, so chances of acceptance for that would be greater. They seem to interview a lot of IS in comparison. I'm not sure though are you IS and when was your secondary sent in? I'm IS as well. They seem to be going through by stats and haven't hit me yet!

Yes, I am IS and received the secondary complete email by 9/1

Well we did just start! The first day of interviews was 10/5 and we only invited less than 6 people that day. Interviews are only Monday through Wednesday with typically 6-10 applicants per day until after December which can get up to 12-20 applicants per day until late April. IIs are usually sent a week or two prior, so don't feel down if you haven't received one yet.

Hi all! I am currently a second year that attends at UT COM. Does anyone have questions specific for UTHSC? I'll be around throughout the application process.
How would you rate my competitiveness for UTHSC? IS applicant, 503 MCAT, 3.46 sGPA 3.64 cGPA. Strong ECs. Worked in several different research labs. 2 journal publications and numerous oral and poster presentations. I've already applied this cycle, but I'm giving it some heavy thought to just take the "L" on this year and re-take my MCAT and apply later. That seems to be the weakest part of my application.

Hey everyone

I applied a few weeks ago to UTHSC with a LizzyM of ~71. I am IS and have strong ECs, and I was wondering if anyone had success stories about applying this late in the cycle?

Hey everyone

I applied a few weeks ago to UTHSC with a LizzyM of ~71. I am IS and have strong ECs, and I was wondering if anyone had success stories about applying this late in the cycle?

People got secondaries last year in November and got accepted. When did you receive your secondary? There's no real correlation of date of secondary completion and acceptance, so I would say give it a shot.

How would you rate my competitiveness for UTHSC? IS applicant, 503 MCAT, 3.46 sGPA 3.64 cGPA. Strong ECs. Worked in several different research labs. 2 journal publications and numerous oral and poster presentations. I've already applied this cycle, but I'm giving it some heavy thought to just take the "L" on this year and re-take my MCAT and apply later. That seems to be the weakest part of my application.
It is really just so hard to tell the "competitiveness" of an applicant based on this shallow of an assessment. Obviously I'm sure you know that your numbers are going to be low for all MD schools, but with "strong EC's", you may be able to sneak an acceptance. Should you not get in anywhere this cycle, I definitely think the MCAT would be your first area to look to improve upon. I wish you luck this cycle... and remember, you only need one acceptance to be a doc, so keep your head up if you don't hear anything for awhile!

It is really just so hard to tell the "competitiveness" of an applicant based on this shallow of an assessment. Obviously I'm sure you know that your numbers are going to be low for all MD schools, but with "strong EC's", you may be able to sneak an acceptance. Should you not get in anywhere this cycle, I definitely think the MCAT would be your first area to look to improve upon. I wish you luck this cycle... and remember, you only need one acceptance to be a doc, so keep your head up if you don't hear anything for awhile!

They have taken low stats people in the past though looking through the threads. If he has received a secondary, he has as good of a shot as everyone else! There were people in last year's thread with higher numbers and stats who got interviews and later accepted while those with higher stats didn't!

People got secondaries last year in November and got accepted. When did you receive your secondary? There's no real correlation of date of secondary completion and acceptance, so I would say give it a shot.

That's so uplifting!!

I still have not received a secondary.. waiting on my letter packet to be sent. Is that a requirement for a secondary at UTHSC?

I know the committee made the first round of decisions on Friday, but does anyone know when survey letters/decisions are mailed out?

I know the committee made the first round of decisions on Friday, but does anyone know when survey letters/decisions are mailed out?

I think I remember them saying that letters would go out the following Friday after each committee meeting

the waiting game here is hard but just know you'll get an II when they get to yours

Does anyone know the order that they go through applications? i.e. earlier secondaries get interviews first, higher MCATs have priority, etc?

Does anyone know the order that they go through applications? i.e. earlier secondaries get interviews first, higher MCATs have priority, etc?

I know that a majority of their interviews happen in Jan-Feb. A lot of the interviews Oct-Dec (I think they take a break from interviews in December) will be high LizzyM scores. A few people I knew in Ugrad got in by December last year, but they were all UT students, which I think holds some priority as well.

I know that a majority of their interviews happen in Jan-Feb. A lot of the interviews Oct-Dec (I think they take a break from interviews in December) will be high LizzyM scores. A few people I knew in Ugrad got in by December last year, but they were all UT students, which I think holds some priority as well.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I just graduated from UT so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon! LizzyM of 69.

Stats: sGPA:3.59, cGPA:3.64, MCAT:516, Trad, URM
Complete on 8/25
It makes me feel a wholeeee lot better that a URM with roughly the same LM and complete date as me just now got an interview... If they are just now interviewing these types of applicants, I'm sure they still have a longggg way to go lol

It makes me feel a wholeeee lot better that a URM with roughly the same LM and complete date as me just now got an interview... If they are just now interviewing these types of applicants, I'm sure they still have a longggg way to go lol

If it's any re-assurance, the other applicants on my application day seemed ridiculously qualified. I definitely felt intimidated by the schools they went to. I'm sure for many of them UT is a safety school. They are going down the list by stats, and rest assured that they will get to you.

If it's any re-assurance, the other applicants on my application day seemed ridiculously qualified. I definitely felt intimidated by the schools they went to. I'm sure for many of them UT is a safety school. They are going down the list by stats, and rest assured that they will get to you.
Does being interviewed earlier benefit? Anyone know

Does being interviewed earlier benefit? Anyone know
Mr. Strother said UT tends to frontload their acceptances, so I believe so. Also, I received an email from Mrs. Diane last night saying letters are going to be mailed out Monday.

Mr. Strother said UT tends to frontload their acceptances, so I believe so. Also, I received an email from Mrs. Diane last night saying letters are going to be mailed out Monday.
If they just now made it to wanderingorion with the 516 they are going to be out of acceptances by the time they get to me!!!

:rolleyes: siggggh hopefully not as accomplished as you but my stats are a perfect fit for an IS resident :smack:
Great, I'm sure they'll love to have you.
That's one pet peeve I have about when people ask for stats. I don't want to make anyone doubt themselves. I've felt the same way with other school threads.
You got a secondary right?

Great, I'm sure they'll love to have you.
That's one pet peeve I have about when people ask for stats. I don't want to make anyone doubt themselves. I've felt the same way with other school threads.
You got a secondary right?
Complete in August yes! Very well-deserved for you though. Your stats are the result of your hard work and you should feel proud. Just need to do something to get this off my mind for a while lol

Complete in August yes! Very well-deserved for you though. Your stats are the result of your hard work and you should feel proud. Just need to do something to get this off my mind for a while lol
Cool, I've seen that if you get a secondary you get a II, so that's good.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
Oh, tell me about it. I keep wishing for that valium salt lick that @gonnif keeps on about.

II today! Complete mid-September. Nontrad, LizzyM ~63, OOS.