2016-2017 University of Texas HSC at Houston (McGovern) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying! :pigeon:

Members don't see this ad.

No secondary required for this school! :) @WedgeDawg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
has anybody received an email from them yet saying their application is under review/has been received or anything like that? kinda like what san antonio sent out a few days ago?

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1 in the fall! Just finished this application cycle, so let me know if any of you have questions!

MS1 in the fall! Just finished this application cycle, so let me know if any of you have questions!
hi! when did you first get correspondence from them upon completely having your app complete (primary, rec letters, transcripts, etc). also when do they start emailing out interview invites? thank you!

hi! when did you first get correspondence from them upon completely having your app complete (primary, rec letters, transcripts, etc). also when do they start emailing out interview invites? thank you!
Hi!
So I submitted my TMDSAS app on 5/8/15 and I received my application complete email from UTH on 6/25/15. I personally interviewed at the end of October and was still able to pre-match on 11/15. But according to the SDN thread from last cycle, the first interview invites went out on 8/10/15. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone receive a confirmation "under review" email yet?

Hi!
So I submitted my TMDSAS app on 5/8/15 and I received my application complete email from UTH on 6/25/15. I personally interviewed at the end of October and was still able to pre-match on 11/15. But according to the SDN thread from last cycle, the first interview invites went out on 8/10/15. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Do you mind sharing what your LizzyM score was?

Did the curriculum change affect your decision to pick UT Houston?

In a way yes, but really I am from Houston and LOVED my interview. I connected right away and knew that was the school I wanted. I received an interview at all the TX schools and I just liked UTH the best of the ones I was accepted to. Also, I'm from Houston so it's nice to be at home again.
For the other person who asked my LizzyM is ~68

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In a way yes, but really I am from Houston and LOVED my interview. I connected right away and knew that was the school I wanted. I received an interview at all the TX schools and I just liked UTH the best of the ones I was accepted to. Also, I'm from Houston so it's nice to be at home again.
For the other person who asked my LizzyM is ~68

That's awesome! I am a fellow Houstonian too. My LizzyM score is around 68 as well! I submitted my apps on 5/21/2016 and got a under review email 6/6/16. Do you have any tips about the interview? And when did you get an II email if you don't mind me asking? I would think that they send out IIs to people with very high LizzyMs first and then they go down the list, so should I be expecting mine around October?

That's awesome! I am a fellow Houstonian too. My LizzyM score is around 68 as well! I submitted my apps on 5/21/2016 and got a under review email 6/6/16. Do you have any tips about the interview? And when did you get an II email if you don't mind me asking? I would think that they send out IIs to people with very high LizzyMs first and then they go down the list, so should I be expecting mine around October?
10/13 interview invite for late October interview. My only interview tips are to prepare for the typical questions you'll get asked - why medicine, why that specific school, be able to explain your interests in medicine/research, and think of some questions to ask the interviewers.
I'm not sure about the particular order they use to send out invites, but they send them out throughout the fall so don't get discouraged if it takes awhile! I thought interviewing at the end of October would not give me a chance to prematch but I did end up pre matching on 11/15 so that was awesome! :) good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
10/13 interview invite for late October interview. My only interview tips are to prepare for the typical questions you'll get asked - why medicine, why that specific school, be able to explain your interests in medicine/research, and think of some questions to ask the interviewers.
I'm not sure about the particular order they use to send out invites, but they send them out throughout the fall so don't get discouraged if it takes awhile! I thought interviewing at the end of October would not give me a chance to prematch but I did end up pre matching on 11/15 so that was awesome! :) good luck!

Much appreciated :)

Anyone hear anything since the confirmation email?

What about the person that posted in the a&m thread that they had received an interview invite? Were they jamp too?

He/she was OOS. On another note, some JAMP students have already interviewed at McGovern lol.

oh ok! also i totally read joint programs as jamp lol....

Haven't heard anything from this school. Called them today and they say they don't send confirmation emails. Is that true?

Haven't heard anything from this school. Called them today and they say they don't send confirmation emails. Is that true?

i got a confirmation/application complete email from them

i got a confirmation/application complete email from them
Yeah! I saw people on here saying that they got some, but I hadn't heard anything. She said that I should check TMDSAS and monitor my emails for news if they select me for an interview, but that because of the sheer volume of applicants they don't send confirmation emails.

Yeah! I saw people on here saying that they got some, but I hadn't heard anything. She said that I should check TMDSAS and monitor my emails for news if they select me for an interview, but that because of the sheer volume of applicants they don't send confirmation emails.

hmm..that's odd. perhaps call back and hopefully you can talk to someone else this time and see what they say?

You might wanna tell her that you see other people getting a confirmation email. Either she is unaware or is lying...both of which can turn out bad for you if they actually didn't receive your app! Also make sure that you checked your spam folder.

My TMDSAS was transmitted on 6/14/16 and I got the confirmation "Under Review" email on 6/20/16.

Transmitted on 6/7 and definitely did not get an email

I called back this afternoon and a different lady answered. She told me that even though my application was transmitted on 5/25, they held it until my MCAT score comes in (which is apparently why they don't have a secondary app). Then she said that the MCAT score, which was sent on 6/15, takes about two weeks after sending by TMDSAS to be processed by UT Houston. She then said that they DEFINITELY will send me an e-mail regarding my status then. So, I guess I have to wait one more week....

P.S. Thanks guys for all the advice!

I called back this afternoon and a different lady answered. She told me that even though my application was transmitted on 5/25, they held it until my MCAT score comes in (which is apparently why they don't have a secondary app). Then she said that the MCAT score, which was sent on 6/15, takes about two weeks after sending by TMDSAS to be processed by UT Houston. She then said that they DEFINITELY will send me an e-mail regarding my status then. So, I guess I have to wait one more week....

Hmm I guess I should call them then? I had everything transmitted by 6/7 and never got anything :(

I remember asking you about your A&M app processing times. What that lady said can't be right, though. I also had my MCAT sent on May 15th (requested it the day before). If anything, your app should have been processed before mine. My TMDSAS was transmitted 6/14, MCAT 6/15, and got confirmation email from McGovern on 6/20

I remember asking you about your A&M app processing times. What that lady said can't be right, though. I also had my MCAT sent on May 15th (requested it the day before). If anything, your app should have been processed before mine. My TMDSAS was transmitted 6/14, MCAT 6/15, and got confirmation email from McGovern on 6/20
Huh. I guess they're just lying to us up and down then... I hope something isn't wrong with my application....

For those of you who received conformation, are your LoR's already in? Not sure if they're just putting my app on hold until those are in.

For those of you who received conformation, are your LoR's already in? Not sure if they're just putting my app on hold until those are in.

I received a confirmation email without having my letters in, but everything else was submitted.

Still no confirmation email :confused: Transmitted 6/7

Called them today and they said they didn't receive my app. Then the lady (super nice btw!) did a few things and said she saw everything and that they will send out a confirmation letter the next time they download apps from TMDSAS.

Called them today and they said they didn't receive my app. Then the lady (super nice btw!) did a few things and said she saw everything and that they will send out a confirmation letter the next time they download apps from TMDSAS.
Called as well and I'm complete! They said now I should just wait for the confirmation letter. Thank you all for the advice! You are all wonderful, and I pray we all get in!

Anyone else still waiting on a confirmation letter form UT Houston?

Reactions: 1 users
My TMDSAS got transmitted on 6/14 as well, but I got the confirmation email on 6/20. I did used to be an employee at UTHealth, idk if that made any difference lol.