2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No tobacco?? That makes no sense. Plenty of people smoke cigarettes/hookah/etc. ive never heard of a med school prohibiting that given that it is not illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Eh. If a doctor is supposed to be a leader and such, should they be smoking?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you love about the school? Location (Michigan native here), size (small)
What is Wmed most proud of ? The community we're in and service to the community
Does the corriculum help make the amount of info easier to digest? In my opinion, no.
How are you graded? Pass/fail, with quartile rankings
Do you only rotate at borgess and bronson? Yeah
How is the quality of rotations? Heard good things

What do you hate about the school?
Cost, relative lack of true breaks
What do you wish you could change? Our weekly schedule, some components of the curriculum require too much time and pull us away from academics

Reactions: 1 user
Okay I was completed around Sept 15th and still no movement on my status page, is something wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you love about the school? Location (Michigan native here), size (small)
What is Wmed most proud of ? The community we're in and service to the community
Does the corriculum help make the amount of info easier to digest? In my opinion, no.
How are you graded? Pass/fail, with quartile rankings
Do you only rotate at borgess and bronson? Yeah
How is the quality of rotations? Heard good things

What do you hate about the school?
Cost, relative lack of true breaks
What do you wish you could change? Our weekly schedule, some components of the curriculum require too much time and pull us away from academics

Thank you, Are the classes mandatory considering the TBL. How many hours of mandatory attendance is there vs. being able to watch recorded lectures.

How long is interview day ? I cant seem to find any information on their website.

How long is interview day ? I cant seem to find any information on their website.

Check in starts at 9 am. Interview day formally begins at 9:45 am. Day was over around 3 or 3:30 pm

On 8/16, I got an email telling me I'm in consideration for a phone interview. Seems like that's their hold email? Anyone actually get anything after receiving this?

Completed 7/27

On 8/16, I got an email telling me I'm in consideration for a phone interview. Seems like that's their hold email? Anyone actually get anything after receiving this?

Completed 7/27
I'm pretty sure everyone who was offered a phone interview invite got that email preceding it. In some cases it took days, in some cases it has taken weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
I was complete with their experiences review process mid august. "consideration for phone" now. Haven't heard since (been about 10 weeks). Similar boat @batatata

Does anyone else have the same issue as me? When trying to check your status you have to login to the portal twice?

Does anyone else have the same issue as me? When trying to check your status you have to login to the portal twice?
Yes, I usually have to do that. The portal so nice, you log in twice.

Has anyone tried to email them to move up their interview with success?

Interview today it was lit. Loved the environment, curriculum, and students. Would love to go here

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo.... when is the next wave of II going out anybody know? Anybody also know how many II have already gone out? Love me pleease Stryker! :happy:

Thank you, Are the classes mandatory considering the TBL. How many hours of mandatory attendance is there vs. being able to watch recorded lectures.

Most basic science lectures are non-mandatory, and recorded. TBLs are mandatory. Other activities (anatomy lab, clinic experiences, etc) are mandatory.

I don't know hours, because this has changed a lot since my M1 year (M3 now). In my M1 year, it was usually 2-3 lectures in the morning, and then afternoon activities from 1-5. I think they now have an afternoon off every week (lucky M1s!).

Most basic science lectures are non-mandatory, and recorded. TBLs are mandatory. Other activities (anatomy lab, clinic experiences, etc) are mandatory.

I don't know hours, because this has changed a lot since my M1 year (M3 now). In my M1 year, it was usually 2-3 lectures in the morning, and then afternoon activities from 1-5. I think they now have an afternoon off every week (lucky M1s!).
Thank you for your input! Good Luck on the USMLE everyone is rooting for you guys! I am unsure if WMED will choose me since my interview didnt go as well as I would have liked it.

Does anyone know if all applications enter the experience review process?

Got an II today for 11/4, LizzyM is 63.5. I do have a question for those that have interviewed already: what is the turnaround time from the interview to an admissions decision? From what I can tell from this thread they let you know very quickly.

Experiences Review Started 08/23/2016 11:54 am
Experiences Review Completed 08/28/2016 06:46 pm
Telephone Interview Offered 09/21/2016 01:45 pm
Telephone Interview Completed 09/26/2016 11:10 am
Campus Interview Offered 11/02/2016 07:34 am

Reactions: 1 users
Got an II today for 11/4, LizzyM is 63.5. I do have a question for those that have interviewed already: what is the turnaround time from the interview to an admissions decision? From what I can tell from this thread they let you know very quickly.

Experiences Review Started 08/23/2016 11:54 am
Experiences Review Completed 08/28/2016 06:46 pm
Telephone Interview Offered 09/21/2016 01:45 pm
Telephone Interview Completed 09/26/2016 11:10 am
Campus Interview Offered 11/02/2016 07:34 am
3weeks

Has anybody who had a phone interview but hasn't gotten an on-campus interview sent in an update letter?

Has anybody who had a phone interview but hasn't gotten an on-campus interview sent in an update letter?

I haven't but it's something I am strongly considering. I have some updates to my application that are relevant, and it would be great to hear something back.

I did last week. I had my phone interview in mid August, so it's been a long wait for me.

Two months and still no experiences review started

Just yesterday I got an email from another school saying that this year they've received the most applications they've ever had in an app cycle and so they're sorry for the delay in getting to my application. And I've been complete since mid-August. It's probably the same for WMed, it looks like every year there's been an increase in apps. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to not hearing a peep from many other schools.

Has anyone tried to email them to move up their interview with success?
Yes, I emailed them telling them that I was within driving distance and could easily take a spot and come if someone cancelled...got a call the next week and was able to interview earlier!

Just yesterday I got an email from another school saying that this year they've received the most applications they've ever had in an app cycle and so they're sorry for the delay in getting to my application. And I've been complete since mid-August. It's probably the same for WMed, it looks like every year there's been an increase in apps. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to not hearing a peep from many other schools.

Sigh. Where are you at in the process with wmed?

We have indeed gotten more applications this year compared to last two cycles so far :)

Browsed last year's thread.

One acceptance from the WL in November, one in December (II: 11/20, Acceptance: 12/9), two in February, and one in March (II: 11/20).

Post 4/30/16: 4 acceptances from WL
Post 4/30/15: 5 acceptances from WL

One person said they were WL'ed in October 2015, accepted in May 2016.

Keep in mind, sdn doesn't represent the entire pool.

Last edited:
Exp. review complete late August. Phone II this morning!

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew my application today. Interview was scheduled for November 18th if anyone wants to take up that spot!

Edit: I'm very sad about this lol

I just realized that I received my online assessment on 7/21 and totally didn't see it in my inbox. I got a reminder email in early Oct and completed it then.
Had my phone interview on 11/1.

Feeling like I just shot my chances :/

Withdrew my application and interview from here, but good luck to everyone!!:)

This seems like a great school. I don't think I could survive the weather though.

Experience review completed ~August 19 or so.
No word since then. Good to hear people in similar boat are still getting phone interviews

No word since then. Good to hear people in similar boat are still getting phone interviews

Had one on the 28th. Keep your chin up mane:slap::slap::slap::slap:

Have you gotten an email about being in consideration for a phone interview?

I had a phone interview in mid-September, but have not heard anything back since. Is that basically a silent rejection, or are people still getting IIs with early phone interviews?

I had a phone interview in mid-September, but have not heard anything back since. Is that basically a silent rejection, or are people still getting IIs with early phone interviews?
Wondering the same thing. I had my phone interview in August so I've been in campus II purgatory for quite some time now.

By structured interview, do they mean interview like the phone interview? Where questions are assigned pre-hand? or does structured mean MMI

M1 here at WMed. Happy to answer any questions you might have or possibly to meet up and chat if you're in town for an interview.

Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know when the next round of Acceptances will come out ? Thanks

Browsed last year's thread.

One acceptance from the WL in November, one in December (II: 11/20, Acceptance: 12/9), two in February, and one in March (II: 11/20).

Post 4/30/16: 4 acceptances from WL
Post 4/30/15: 5 acceptances from WL

One person said they were WL'ed in October 2015, accepted in May 2016.

Keep in mind, sdn doesn't represent the entire pool.

Thanks for researching... that's 15 acceptances off the wait list on SDN, which obviously is only a small part of the applicant pool! Very optimistic about getting off this wait list at some point

Stryker, if I wake up to Trump as president tomorrow, I won't be so mad if I don't end up with an II from you.

Does WMed offer different sets of interview dates to different applicants? I was extended an II on 11/19 and the first date available to me was January 6th. I just noticed that others invited to interview on the same day or later as me scheduled their interviews for dates in October and November..
What should I take away from this?