2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had a phone interview over the weekend where the interviewer stated I could expect to hear back within 3 business days. Has that been the typical experience for other applicants? Keep replaying all the silly things I said in my head...

Members don't see this ad.

Had a phone interview over the weekend where the interviewer stated I could expect to hear back within 3 business days. Has that been the typical experience for other applicants? Keep replaying all the silly things I said in my head...
You generally will hear that "you are under review for a campus interview" within 3 days. You generally won't hear a decision in that time.

Reactions: 1 users
Does WMed offer different sets of interview dates to different applicants? I was extended an II on 11/19 and the first date available to me was January 6th. I just noticed that others invited to interview on the same day or later as me scheduled their interviews for dates in October and November..
What should I take away from this?
When I was invited, I had a choice between three dates. The other interview days may have just been full.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was invited, I had a choice between three dates. The other interview days may have just been full.
I also had a choice of 3 dates in January. Seems unlikely that 3 months of interview dates were filled before I scheduled.

Had a phone interview mid September and haven't heard back. Anyone in the same boat? And have they sent out post phone interview rejections?

Last edited:
Had a phone interview mid September and haven't heard back? Anyone in the same boat? And have they sent out post phone interview rejections?
+1.. Going on nearly 1 month since the phone interview, haven't heard a peep since the last time they sent out II.

Had a phone interview mid September and haven't heard back? Anyone in the same boat? And have they sent out post phone interview rejections?
+2 but had my phone interview in mid August. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best outcome.

Does WMed offer different sets of interview dates to different applicants? I was extended an II on 11/19 and the first date available to me was January 6th. I just noticed that others invited to interview on the same day or later as me scheduled their interviews for dates in October and November..

relax

Reactions: 3 users
Shoutout fellow October 28th interviewers. We got this ****

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I also had a choice of 3 dates in January. Seems unlikely that 3 months of interview dates were filled before I scheduled.

I certainly understand what you mean. I was surprised by this as well.

I was extended an II on 10/19, and when I opened the calendar to schedule it, there was one for 10/28 (which I was unable to do) and then the 3 dates in January. The II for 10/28 was no longer available half an hour later, so I'm guessing there were only a few spots left and they were quickly filled. Curious about if earlier dates would be available, I emailed the admissions office about this, and they said there was only 1 interview date in December - Dec 9. I am not sure how many they had in November. It's possible to be added to the waitlist for an earlier interview date if you wish. Though I'm not sure how common it is that spaces become available.

It is my best guess that the spots for Oct/Nov/Dec were filled already since it was already the end of October, and also there were fewer interview dates in Nov/Dec due to the Thanksgiving and winter break.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew and cancelled my interview here. Hope it goes to one of you wonderful people ! Seems like a great school. Good Luck everyone!

Received a phone call maybe 15 minutes ago to let me know I was accepted! Interview Oct 28, LizzyM ~76 OOS. Really liked this school a lot which makes the phone call that much sweeter. Best of luck to other applicants!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the acceptance call! I'm so excited! Interviewed 10/28

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted this afternoon! So excited :). Interviewed 10/28 IS LizzyM-74

Reactions: 4 users
I have an interview here this Friday, and I was wondering how others that interviewed here thought about this school's interview? Was it stressful? How were the MMIs(how many stations, stress level, etc), was the traditional interview with a student or faculty? I couldn't see to find any interview agenda, so if anyone can please link to it if there is one, I would really appreciate it!

I have an interview here this Friday, and I was wondering how others that interviewed here thought about this school's interview? Was it stressful? How were the MMIs(how many stations, stress level, etc), was the traditional interview with a student or faculty? I couldn't see to find any interview agenda, so if anyone can please link to it if there is one, I would really appreciate it!

The entire day is super chill -- one of the most easy-going and relaxing interviews that I attended probably. They had us sign NDAs so all that I will say is that the "structured" interview was pretty fun for me and most others in my group. Very low-stress. A while back, someone on this thread said they drew jellyfish during theirs.

Congrats to my fellow bros and gals on acceptance :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Has anyone gotten rejected post phone call interview and without an on campus interview?

Current Western student. Consider yourself lucky if you don't come here. Go to any other school that will accept you.

Eh, every school has its BS. At least we're pass/fail and have a good social dynamic (at least in my class).

Eh, every school has its BS. At least we're pass/fail and have a good social dynamic (at least in my class).

Truth. Also the small class size and opportunities to get involved in new groups/leadership/(insert what you care about) is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Truth. Also the small class size and opportunities to get involved in new groups/leadership/(insert what you care about) is pretty good.

I think this time it's someone from your class this year. Based on the other post in this thread where 60 was used as total number of students in the class. I am surprised at the average of 8, if that's true. That didn't happen for my class and apparently you guys are smarter than us :rofl:

Current student at WMed. I hate it here. Go to Wayne. Just like someone said above, Wayne has graduated medical students. Western is a new medical school and its students are struggling because of a ****ty curriculum. Each course has an average of 8 out of 60 students failing. I could go on and on to describe how ****ty the school is, but I'll make it easier on you and just tell you that you'll be better off at any other school besides Western.

Current WMed student and not struggling, AMA!;)

Reactions: 2 users
I think this time it's someone from your class this year. Based on the other post in this thread where 60 was used as total number of students in the class. I am surprised at the average of 8, if that's true. That didn't happen for my class and apparently you guys are smarter than us :rofl:

It's almost as if we're the only school with a tough M2... :p

Since we've hit systems, actually, I believe that average of 8.

Why are you not struggling, but your friend is?
Because I've figured out a study plan that works for me, and I've stuck with it. I enjoy the clinical skills things that we do but I also don't stress about the "time lost" for studying. You can't study all day and expect to be a well balanced person.

Because I've figured out a study plan that works for me, and I've stuck with it. I enjoy the clinical skills things that we do but I also don't stress about the "time lost" for studying. You can't study all day and expect to be a well balanced person.

Take note, peeps.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey so is this school nice? I have an interview here and was excited, but the comments some current students are making me think twice.

Hey so is this school nice? I have an interview here and was excited, but the comments some current students are making me think twice.

My advice- form your own opinion. Don't let people on the internet tell you whether the school is a good fit for you or not. And that's what it's about- finding the best fit for you. Take in as much information as you can on interview day and ask all the questions you want answered. Then make an informed decision about whether you like the school or not.

Reactions: 2 users
submitted my secondary just now. haha. they sent me the invite couple days ago. I don't know what to make of it.

Rejected. Experiences review completed 10/16. I guess my dream foreshadowed my disappointment :/

Anyone else here interview on 11/4? Should we be hearing back from WMed this week?

Anyone else here interview on 11/4? Should we be hearing back from WMed this week?

Yeah! Probably by this Friday?! That would be the three week mark...or do you think they'll be off for Thanksgiving break?

Yeah! Probably by this Friday?! That would be the three week mark...or do you think they'll be off for Thanksgiving break?
I was just curious because the 10/28 group heard back last Wednesday, so I didn't know if it would be sooner than Thursday or Friday, considering the holiday. We'll just have to wait and see I guess

I was just curious because the 10/28 group heard back last Wednesday, so I didn't know if it would be sooner than Thursday or Friday, considering the holiday. We'll just have to wait and see I guess

Sigh.... more waiting....more hair loss :scared:

I was wondering whether there is a specific day WMed makes the acceptance calls?!

I interviewed on 11/4. I bet we hear back tomorrow! I think Wednesday is their day for updates, every other update I got from them came on a Wednesday.

The school is gorgeous. You're willing to change your whole application plan based off a couple of sour posts, thus ignoring the years' worth of other posts praising the beautiful campus?

We have one of the best sim centers you'll ever see. The building was fully rehabbed within the last 5 years. I study in a meeting room that's nicer than the conference rooms I used to use at the two Fortune 500s I worked for. We have a huge amazing courtyard that's fantastic for laying in the sun and enjoying lunch.

My advice? Ignore SDN.

Accepted 11:28 EST, truly a blessing.

Reactions: 5 users