2016 AMCAS Infographic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lpp06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I've seen this posted, but it is pretty cool!

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...9b29-2184a15822b4/amcas_infographic-_2016.pdf

Interesting points:

- A 16 year old enrolled
- 14% of enrolled students self classified as disadvantaged, which was 10.2% higher than the year before
- The average number of service hours per enrolled student was almost 650 hrs
- It takes 23 minutes to verify an application
- Over 600 students were accepted and chose not to enroll
- A 476 was the minimum enrolled MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
a 476...holy crap!

and does that 600 number include those who defer a year? (i.e. does "enrolled" include students who defer?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some others:
  • I am shocked that 1,150 people went through the process and got an admit, then didn't matriculate.
  • Someone got in with a 2.3 GPA
  • There was at least one perfect MCAT score awarded in the first year (there were not 45s every year, historically)
  • Surprised at an average of 54 college courses. A typical full degree should be ~40?
  • Research/lab was more common than shadowing

A 476 was the minimum enrolled MCAT
This must have been someone that was required to take the MCAT for their BS/MD program but whose score didn't matter

• Surprised at an average of 54 college courses. A typical full degree should be ~40?
Don't forget that some of us attend quarter system schools- that increases the number of courses greatly (4-5 a quarter * 12 quarters = 48-60 courses, not including summers).

Reactions: 2 users
Is it just me or have they manipulated the MCAT scale to make the low scores appear not as low? For example, a 472 is the lowest possible score. But on the applicant bar, 472 is 1/3 of the way between what appears to be the low end of the scale and a 501. Likewise, on the enrollee bar, 476 is about halfway between the apparent minimum and 508.

Is it just me or have they manipulated the MCAT scale to make the low scores appear not as low? For example, a 472 is the lowest possible score. But on the applicant bar, 472 is 1/3 of the way between what appears to be the low end of the scale and a 501. Likewise, on the enrollee bar, 476 is about halfway between the apparent minimum and 508.
I dunno about manipulated. I think they contracted the infographic to an illustrator collective somewhere and the person in charge of that part probably just eyeballed something that looked nice.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity/ignorance !

Reactions: 5 users
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity/ignorance !

That explains my ex

Reactions: 7 users
a 476...holy crap!

and does that 600 number include those who defer a year? (i.e. does "enrolled" include students who defer?)

600 accounts for those who deferred!

Footnote #4 on page 1 says only 522/1151 received deferrals

I forgot about deferrals.

I wonder how many of those 600 walked away because the debt was going to be too insane. If they were looking at 350k pre-interest and had an employable degree...smh

I wonder how many of those 600 walked away because the debt was going to be too insane. If they were looking at 350k pre-interest and had an employable degree...smh

This or "Omg i got into med school!" ---> Ecstasy fades and realization sets in that you were just trying to prove something to yourself / your parents / your dog ---> Existential Terror ---> ??? ---> Other opportunities and / or marrying rich.

Reactions: 5 users
BS/MD program?

Somebody's daddy works at a med school.

Also, the oldest enrollee was 54! Proof its never too late to pursue your dreams
Makes me feel like a spring chicken and that a NSG residency is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)

Or they could not procure financing.

I'm a little confused where the 78% physician shadowing came from - the MSQ for the same year lists 95%, the lowest reported in the last 3 years is 93%. This seems like a huge discrepancy.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't the fed have some absurd upper limit, past even private school COA?
Not if you are in default of previous loans or have a judgement against you regarding previous loans.

Don't let your dreams be dreams. I'm sure you'll make a great NSG ;)
Its my dream to come up with a device that implants spicy memes straight into the brain. Thereby cutting out the meme middlemen.
D5EFKM627942891.jpg

Its my dream to come up with a device that implants spicy memes straight into the brain. Thereby cutting out the meme middlemen.
D5EFKM627942891.jpg

you madman, do you know how many families will lose their livelihoods? you must be stopped

ooNJHbO.png

D5EFKM627942891.jpg
How can memers be real if our eyes are bypassed by brain implants?

Does this include Caribbean? Someone applied with a 472?

I don't know if I've seen this posted, but it is pretty cool!

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...9b29-2184a15822b4/amcas_infographic-_2016.pdf

Interesting points:

- A 16 year old enrolled
- 14% of enrolled students self classified as disadvantaged, which was 10.2% higher than the year before
- The average number of service hours per enrolled student was almost 650 hrs
- It takes 23 minutes to verify an application
- Over 600 students were accepted and chose not to enroll
- A 476 was the minimum enrolled MCAT
Also interesting that 14% of people classified themselves as disadvantaged, but only 7.5% were part of the fee assistance program.

Also interesting that 14% of people classified themselves as disadvantaged, but only 7.5% were part of the fee assistance program.
They are separate issues. Think of FAP as "I/we don't have any money right now." Think of disadvantaged as "We never had money growing up / We always struggled when I was young / etc."

They are separate issues. Think of FAP as "I/we don't have any money right now." Think of disadvantaged as "We never had money growing up / We always struggled when I was young / etc."
I realize this, that's why I said interesting. Half of these people have either bettered their living situation, or were never below the line in the first place. I would be curious to know the statistics for this. Just interesting is all.

I realize this, that's why I said interesting. Half of these people have either bettered their living situation, or were never below the line in the first place. I would be curious to know the statistics for this. Just interesting is all.
actually i didnt claim disadvantaged status or FAP (thinking I didnt qualify), but AMCAS marked me as disadvantaged (E0X thing)

actually i didnt claim disadvantaged status or FAP (thinking I didnt qualify), but AMCAS marked me as disadvantaged (E0X thing)
the 14% of people are those who self-classified as disadvantaged. I guess it all depends on your perspective then! My point was there are probably people who self classified as disadvantaged who aren't by the definition of the law/FAP, and there are people who are who wouldn't classify themselves that way (you). Just interesting how different perspectives might play into this reporting. Especially since the number is up 10.2% from the previous year, when the demographic of the applicant pool probably did not change as drastically as 10% (I could be totally wrong though)

How do you see what they marked you as on amcas?

Some of those could have chosen to matriculate at a Texas school which is not included within amcas.

Edit: or chosen a DO school, also outside of amcas.

I find it interesting that the infographic says "Just under 2% of applicants and enrollees have reported military service." That implies that veterans had about the same acceptance rate, so approximately the same percentage of applicants and matriculants were veterans.

I find it interesting that the infographic says "Just under 2% of applicants and enrollees have reported military service." That implies that veterans had about the same acceptance rate, so approximately the same percentage of applicants and matriculants were veterans.

Didn't realize it was only 2%. Sometimes cruising on these boards, it seems like tons of people are vets. Have to remember SDN is not a representative sample of the applicant pool.

How incredible does one's backstory need to be in order to compensate for a 478?

I heard a story (anecdote coming) of someone who had multiple acceptances with an 8. He was active duty and had to take the MCAT while he was overseas.

Didn't realize it was only 2%. Sometimes cruising on these boards, it seems like tons of people are vets. Have to remember SDN is not a representative sample of the applicant pool.

Another military doc on here once said that SDN (and specifically the military med forum) is the largest source of military medicine information on the internet. SDN also attracts non-trads. Together, these things probably mean the boards overall attract a lot more military folk interested in medicine than, say, /r/premed

I'm a little confused where the 78% physician shadowing came from - the MSQ for the same year lists 95%, the lowest reported in the last 3 years is 93%. This seems like a huge discrepancy.

I'm honestly shocked by this too.. I thought it was basically a requirement

its applicant data in AMCAS infographic
its matriculant data in MSQ
nah it says "enrollee profile" on the infographic

I agree with above though, something seems wrong if ~25% of people had no shadowing or clinical observing