2016 July PCAT Preliminary Score questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diuretic99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!
I just a deep concern after my very first time taking the PCAT in additional to the very first norm group to take it with this new PCAT structure without the "verbal" and "sentence completion."

So here are my preliminary scores:

Biological Processes 63
Chemical Processes 82
Critical Reading 19
Quantitative Reasoning 63
Composite 56
GPA 3.53

Okay the school I am trying to apply to is PCOM (in Savannah, Georgia)

The school stated that composite score above 40 are considered competitive. HOWEVER, I was so sad when I re-read this on their website!

"There is no minimum score for the PCAT, however composite scores less than 40 percent or individual subtest scores less than 25 percent are not likely to be competitive."

Please help me with this, as English is my third language ):
So I fulfilled the "scores above 40" area thingy.....what about the "individual subtest score less than 25 percent"?? I saw the word "or" and I was just so confuse!

I only had to fulfilled one right, which is scoring it above 40. Or did I had to as well as score above 25% on all of the subtest???

Please help me. I am so apprehensive.

Thank you ):

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you should be fine in applying since your chem score is really good. I think the subset of less than 25 percent isn't a big deal if you pcat score is a 56%. From what I've heard, pharmacy schools don't see to care about critical reading. They mostly focus on the science subjects since that is what is going to be use mostly in your career. Good job though! You would be considered competitive since your composite is a 56. Good luck, on your application process!

Hi Diuretic99,

I agree with RMarquez05. Your chemistry score is the highest out of all of them (which I think is good). Your score is competitive to that particular school. Your chances of getting admitted will be higher if you do early admission (if the school offers it). Good luck!!

Cheers.

Thank You BOTH OF YOU RMarquez05 and JZC.
That really alleviated my stress away in regards to the damn "25 percentile for each individual subtest scores"

Yeah...56 is quite good average for that school since it says 40 and above are considered competitive. And I am so glad that I got a high score in chemistry too! I thought i bombed THEM ALL!

And yes JZC....PCOM does offer Early Decision! I will really do it and take advantage of it! But I just have some questions in regards to the early decision though if you don't mind.

So okay, PCOM has early decision, when I apply as early decision, I can STILL apply to other pharmacy schools to my liking correct? Because the thing about early decision..well..this is what it says on pharmcas haha...so I was just kind of confused.

"The Early Decision application deadline is September 6, 2016. In addition to completing the PharmCAS application, you must arrange for PharmCAS to receive all of your official transcripts and fee by September 6. If your application, transcripts, or fee arrive after the deadline, PharmCAS will automatically change your file from early decision status to regular status. You may be offered early admission, denied admission, or deferred to regular applicant status. If you are offered admission as an Early Decision applicant, you are obligated to accept the offer and you will not be permitted to apply to other PharmCAS Pharm.D. programs during the current admission cycle. If, however, you are denied admission as an Early Decision applicant, you may apply to other Pharm.D. programs for an additional fee. Refer to the PharmCAS application fee schedule to determine the cost to apply to each additional program. Pharm.D. programs will make admission decisions on early decision applicants by October 21, 2016."

Question about the bolded statement....I cannot apply to OTHER pharmacy school ONCE I get admitted correct?
So with that being said...I can apply to other pharmacy school as much as I wanted until then? Like apply EDP to PCOM.....as well to other school.

Thank you so much in advance! Haha
Really just nervous about this whole thing. Really stressing me out lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That really alleviated my stress away in regards to the damn "25 percentile for each individual subtest scores"

Yeah...56 is quite good average for that school since it says 40 and above are considered competitive. And I am so glad that I got a high score in chemistry too! I thought i bombed THEM ALL!

And yes JZC....PCOM does offer Early Decision! I will really do it and take advantage of it! But I just have some questions in regards to the early decision though if you don't mind.

So okay, PCOM has early decision, when I apply as early decision, I can STILL apply to other pharmacy schools to my liking correct? Because the thing about early decision..well..this is what it says on pharmcas haha...so I was just kind of confused.

"The Early Decision application deadline is September 6, 2016. In addition to completing the PharmCAS application, you must arrange for PharmCAS to receive all of your official transcripts and fee by September 6. If your application, transcripts, or fee arrive after the deadline, PharmCAS will automatically change your file from early decision status to regular status. You may be offered early admission, denied admission, or deferred to regular applicant status. If you are offered admission as an Early Decision applicant, you are obligated to accept the offer and you will not be permitted to apply to other PharmCAS Pharm.D. programs during the current admission cycle. If, however, you are denied admission as an Early Decision applicant, you may apply to other Pharm.D. programs for an additional fee. Refer to the PharmCAS application fee schedule to determine the cost to apply to each additional program. Pharm.D. programs will make admission decisions on early decision applicants by October 21, 2016."

Question about the bolded statement....I cannot apply to OTHER pharmacy school ONCE I get admitted correct?
So with that being said...I can apply to other pharmacy school as much as I wanted until then? Like apply EDP to PCOM.....as well to other school.

Correct! You can apply early decision there and somewhere else. However, once you get accepted, you cannot apply to any more schools. So PCOM would be your only final choice and you must attend, if you accept. But if you don't get in, then apply regular decision to PCOM and any other school that you decide to go to. Let us know how it goes! Hopefully you get in. Good luck!

Hello guys!
I just a deep concern after my very first time taking the PCAT in additional to the very first norm group to take it with this new PCAT structure without the "verbal" and "sentence completion."

So here are my preliminary scores:

Biological Processes 63
Chemical Processes 82
Critical Reading 19
Quantitative Reasoning 63
Composite 56
GPA 3.53

Okay the school I am trying to apply to is PCOM (in Savannah, Georgia)

The school stated that composite score above 40 are considered competitive. HOWEVER, I was so sad when I re-read this on their website!

"There is no minimum score for the PCAT, however composite scores less than 40 percent or individual subtest scores less than 25 percent are not likely to be competitive."

Please help me with this, as English is my third language ):
So I fulfilled the "scores above 40" area thingy.....what about the "individual subtest score less than 25 percent"?? I saw the word "or" and I was just so confuse!

I only had to fulfilled one right, which is scoring it above 40. Or did I had to as well as score above 25% on all of the subtest???

Please help me. I am so apprehensive.

Thank you ):
I also took my first PCAT:
96 chem and 82biol
29 math and 16CR
64 composite
Im so frustrated... Any advice? Should I retake the PCAT? The school mininum is 10 in all subtests but I think a 16 is very low even in critical reading.

I think once you click Early Decision for one school, Pharmcas won't allow you to apply to any other ones. You would only be able to apply to other schools if you're denied admission as an Early Decision applicant.

96 chem and 82biol
29 math and 16CR
Im so frustrated... Any advice? Should I retake the PCAT? The school mininum is 10 in all subtests but I think a 16 is very low even in critical reading.

Def apply. You science scores are great! Don't let CR discourage you. They are planning to take that section out soon is what a friend told me. Chem is what matters the most.

I would definitely try to get in contact with the admissions department to see if they can give you any advice as well. Many times if the admissions department knows who you are and if you're serious you have more of a chance of getting in.

96 chem and 82biol
29 math and 16CR
64 composite
What school is this?

University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus
What?! This can't be real! I'm from PR. I didn't know they asked for such minimum. Can I get in contact with you?! PM you? :) Me estoy volviendo loca de los nervios!

What?! This can't be real! I'm from PR. I didn't know they asked for such minimum. Can I get in contact with you?! PM you? :) Me estoy volviendo loca de los nervios!
I just checked a brochure I have and it says "Obtener un minimo de percentila de 10 en todas las areas del PCAT"

No, if you apply as an early applicant, you can only apply to that school. If you're offered admission, you HAVE to accept. If you are denied, you will be moved to regular admin status. Only then will you be able to apply to other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
96 chem and 82biol
29 math and 16CR
64 composite
Tengo amigos que fueron aceptados en el recinto y obtuvieron puntuaciones similares a tu composite, basta tener bien GPA y entrevista :p De que recinto eres?

Last edited:
These are my preliminary scores:
I'm kinda worried about my quantitative score.
It was the last subtest and I was running out of time... and I'm so upset because my actual math grades are all A's and B's so IDK.

Bio - 96
Chem - 96
CR - 77
QR - 41
Composite - 89

Please someone shed some light on this!!

math section was a joke on this test, problems were written too long to have enough time to answer them.
It was the last subtest and I was running out of time... and I'm so upset because my actual math grades are all A's and B's so IDK.

Bio - 96
Chem - 96
CR - 77
QR - 41
Composite - 89

I also received a 41

Bio - 96
Chem - 96
CR - 77
QR - 41
Composite - 89

hi i think you can answer this question as it isn't too specific, but feel free not to if you dont want:

But was there a lot of trig on the test? I'm fine with almost everything else but its trig function, be it graphing, deriving, integrating, etc. that gets me. And vectors.

Correct! You can apply early decision there and somewhere else. However, once you get accepted, you cannot apply to any more schools. So PCOM would be your only final choice and you must attend, if you accept. But if you don't get in, then apply regular decision to PCOM and any other school that you decide to go to. Let us know how it goes! Hopefully you get in. Good luck!

Haha wow nice! You know so much! Thank you! So basically applying as EDP has some advantage, such as if in case (god forbid) they denied your EDP admission, you will be deferred to a regular admission, thus gives you one more chance.
And also, PCOM last day to submit everything for EDP is Sept 6th, that being said, if I get accepted, I will have to go there August 2017, but if I got denied (god forbid), then I can just move on and apply to regular admission schools right?

I think once you click Early Decision for one school, Pharmcas won't allow you to apply to any other ones. You would only be able to apply to other schools if you're denied admission as an Early Decision applicant.

Haha. Yeah, thats what I was reading as well! You cannot physically apply to BOTH EDP and the regular admission at the SAME TIME, because both have two different time frame, like EDP is September, while regular is maybe later than that or something

I also took my second PCAT today and I am really frustrated right now.
I took the first PCAT just to see how it was like--stupid decision ever made.

My first (official) PCAT scores were:
Bio--385(14)
CR--393(44)
QR--447(98)
Chem--408(60)
Composite--408(60)

Obviously, I bombed everything except QR.
I studied really hard and managed to have the composite ranges of 80-99% (and all individual scores within 80-99% as well) for all three Pearson PCAT Practice.

I took my second PCAT today. I was really confident, but then at the same time, I was nervous--maybe more nervous than I should have.
Those anxiety and nervousness completely ruined my testing skills and I ended up bombing another PCAT.

These are my preliminary scores for the June 2016 PCAT:
Bio--409(54)
Chem--422(76)
CR--397(52)
QR--434(94)
Composite--416(75)

I walked out of the testing center, crying and very upset because I was very confident with all subjects and also the practice test showed my effort of studying hard for this test. However, the results came out awful and am now starting to wonder if this career path really suits me. I recently moved to a different state because I wanted to have some unique experience in a place where I have never been to and know only a few people before I go back to school. I was planning on applying to pharm schools next year after having some work experiences to add on my resume. I am currently working as a full-time cardiac surgery coordinator and am planning on working as a pharm tech on weekends starting September. For extracurricular activities, I was involved in some student organizations and church groups. I also have some teaching experience at an elementary school for a semester as a science teacher. Besides my current job, I worked for two IT companies as a freelance translator for their global marketing teams. I also have a work experience at a restaurant although it was only for 2 months.

With my overall GPA of 3.2 and science GPA of 3.1, I am not sure if I would ever have any chance of getting even one interview from any schools (CA, TX and NY) I planned on applying. How accurate are the preliminary scores? And would I still be considered a competitive candidate for any pharm schools in CA, TX and NY with my GPA and work experience?

I also took my second PCAT today and I am really frustrated right now.
I took the first PCAT just to see how it was like--stupid decision ever made.

My first (official) PCAT scores were:
Bio--385(14)
CR--393(44)
QR--447(98)
Chem--408(60)
Composite--408(60)

Obviously, I bombed everything except QR.
I studied really hard and managed to have the composite ranges of 80-99% (and all individual scores within 80-99% as well) for all three Pearson PCAT Practice.

I took my second PCAT today. I was really confident, but then at the same time, I was nervous--maybe more nervous than I should have.
Those anxiety and nervousness completely ruined my testing skills and I ended up bombing another PCAT.

These are my preliminary scores for the June 2016 PCAT:
Bio--409(54)
Chem--422(76)
CR--397(52)
QR--434(94)
Composite--416(75)

I walked out of the testing center, crying and very upset because I was very confident with all subjects and also the practice test showed my effort of studying hard for this test. However, the results came out awful and am now starting to wonder if this career path really suits me. I recently moved to a different state because I wanted to have some unique experience in a place where I have never been to and know only a few people before I go back to school. I was planning on applying to pharm schools next year after having some work experiences to add on my resume. I am currently working as a full-time cardiac surgery coordinator and am planning on working as a pharm tech on weekends starting September. For extracurricular activities, I was involved in some student organizations and church groups. I also have some teaching experience at an elementary school for a semester as a science teacher. Besides my current job, I worked for two IT companies as a freelance translator for their global marketing teams. I also have a work experience at a restaurant although it was only for 2 months.

With my overall GPA of 3.2 and science GPA of 3.1, I am not sure if I would ever have any chance of getting even one interview from any schools (CA, TX and NY) I planned on applying. How accurate are the preliminary scores? And would I still be considered a competitive candidate for any pharm schools in CA, TX and NY with my GPA and work experience?

The composite honestly is not bad. I know a lot of Texas schools will accept your GPA and composite. I would know since I am from Houston, Texas. So look into schools here and don't get discouraged.

For you guys who took the PCAT, was the calculator and periodic table available for the sections as promised? My dr. collins course told us the calculator wouldn't be present for all questions, is this true?

For you guys who took the PCAT, was the calculator and periodic table available for the sections as promised? My dr. collins course told us the calculator wouldn't be present for all questions, is this true?

Hi! Wow nice, you took Dr.Collins course too? I took him this year in vegas too!
Yes, the periodic table will be there in a click of a button as well as the calculator! They are both available for every single question.

The composite honestly is not bad. I know a lot of Texas schools will accept your GPA and composite. I would know since I am from Houston, Texas. So look into schools here and don't get discouraged.
Your comment makes me feel better about my score. Thank you!