2017-2018 A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone! this is mainly for those who may have just gotten interviews or just given accepted pending seat status:
I interviewed here literally a year ago from yesterday, so pretty late in the game. I was put on the accepted pending seat about 1 month later. If anyone feels discouraged by having that status, DONT! I was worried about having to wait and being off my ideal life plan schedule but it definitely worked out for the better. I worked but also go to travel a lot more and just TRULY relax knowing that I was already accepted into school. That being said, it also gives you more time to figure out what you want to do, maybe you want to re-apply, change course, whatever it may be. I dont know if that gives much testament how many people start that year once given that status or how many people got that status.
For me, i wouldve thought that applying and interviewing late wouldve completely put me at a disadvantage but it didnt. Hope this helps someone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am curious to hear from current students as well; particularly in relation to the iPad and laptop. I am curious as to the recommendations on which iPad and what kind of computer I should buy. I know they have their requirements, but I am curious if it would make sense to stay as cheap as possible here, or if you would recommend things like the iPad Pro with a pencil over a basic model and similar question for a laptop. Since iPad and Macbooks integrate really well, do you recommend something a bit more pricey, or is the cheapest option totally fine and more than enough for how you use it?

Current second year. Congrats on your acceptance!

So for the iPad. Somewhat of a cop out answer, but this is really going to come down to personal preference. I know people who have the largest iPad pro, the smaller pro and just the "normal" iPad. They all get along just fine. I recommend going to an apple store, or really any store and seeing which one you think you will like most. They are required because you will do all exams/quizzes and several other activities on them. Some students use their iPad as their sole resource for school, others use it in combination with their laptops/computers (probably the majority) and then there are some people that use it for tests and then to watch netflix and use their computers to study. So I would also consider what type of studier you will be when deciding how much you want to invest in an iPad. Also, keep in mind that the iPad will be included in your tuition.

One of the pros about getting the iPad pro is the apple pencil. I personally don’t have it (I just got in the habit of typing my notes with a bluetooth keyboard), but everyone who does speaks very highly of it and I think it would be a wise investment.

Again, when it comes to laptops, this is going to be a preference thing. If you have a laptop and it works, I wouldn't spend the extra money just to get a new computer because you're starting med school. But, if you need a new laptop, I think it would be worth while looking into a MacBook for the simple reason that you noted. If you're not a Mac person for computers, don't feel like you need to have a MacBook to match your iPad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious if anyone attending this summer might be interested in sharing a two bedroom student housing unit. From what I gathered (I will double check) rent would essentially be $250/month + electricity. Anyone interested in saving lots of money for housing, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Just curious if anyone attending this summer might be interested in sharing a two bedroom student housing unit. From what I gathered (I will double check) rent would essentially be $250/month + electricity. Anyone interested in saving lots of money for housing, please do not hesitate to PM me.
If and as soon as I get a call for a seat in this years class, I’ll PM you! :D

If and as soon as I get a call for a seat in this years class, I’ll PM you! :D

Keep your head up! There is still a lot of time until July. Probably still a great chance you get a seat. I look forward to seeing your reply, stating you received your seat!

How late do you get matched with a student host? Has anyone got matched at the last minute? My interview is this Friday and I haven't been matched yet =( I already made back up housing arrangements so that isn't the problem. I was just really looking forward to this opportunity

Who is driving from KC to KCOM tomorrow for Friday's interview? Hopefully the weather isn't that bad.

Who is driving from KC to KCOM tomorrow for Friday's interview? Hopefully the weather isn't that bad.
I just did that drive today and the road wasn't bad but I hear there's another ice storm right now. Good Luck!

Is it too early to stress out about getting a seat for this summer or not (pending seat here)? Has anyone gotten off the pending seat list recently?

Is it too early to stress out about getting a seat for this summer or not (pending seat here)? Has anyone gotten off the pending seat list recently?

There are people in my class who were pulled off the list about 2 weeks before orientation in July, so really, no need to start stressing!

Does anyone know how they choose from the accepted pending seat list? Is there a ranking? Or is it some secret formula that no one knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted, pending an open seat. Interviewed on Feb 23rd. I loved this school so much, I hope a seat opens up for all of us waiting for a pending seat.

Has anyone who was "accepted pending a seat" heard back yet?

Is anyone planning on going to the accepted students thing in Des Moines?

Did you mean to put this in DMU's thread?
I did not. Admissions is going on a sort of accepted students tour allowing student from an area to meet before school starts. They had one in KC last week.

Keep your head up! There is still a lot of time until July. Probably still a great chance you get a seat. I look forward to seeing your reply, stating you received your seat!

Got the call today that I got a seat for this year! :)

Still looking for someone to share the housing unit?

Reactions: 3 users
Got the call today that I got a seat for this year! :)

Still looking for someone to share the housing unit?

Congrats! I signed a contract for a one bedroom, but I was looking for someone to share a two-bedroom unit with. We might be able to contact them and change it to a 2 bedroom if you are interested?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you.

Interviewed 1/26, pending 2/02
Do you know how people are offered a spot off of the accepted pending list? Is the list ranked or are people just offered spots in the order that they interviewed? I'm hoping it's the latter because I interviewed just a week after you! :)

Do you know how people are offered a spot off of the accepted pending list? Is the list ranked or are people just offered spots in the order that they interviewed? I'm hoping it's the latter because I interviewed just a week after you! :)
I am sorry I have no clue regarding the process. When I emailed admissions like a month or so ago, I was told that the list is very fluid given more people are being added and people asked to be taken off the list all the time. The other two payment dates are april 15 and May 15. So, those are the dates to look forward to as some people on the fence may be pushed to make a decision rather than invest another $500 in a decision that they are not sure in. I was definitely looking forward towards april 15th until I got the call.

I am sending good vibes your way! good luck to you!

I am sorry I have no clue regarding the process. When I emailed admissions like a month or so ago, I was told that the list is very fluid given more people are being added and people asked to be taken off the list all the time. The other two payment dates are april 15 and May 15. So, those are the dates to look forward to as some people on the fence may be pushed to make a decision rather than invest another $500 in a decision that they are not sure in. I was definitely looking forward towards april 15th until I got the call.

I am sending good vibes your way! good luck to you!
And so the wait continues! Good to know there's been some movement on that list though. Congrats on your acceptance and I hope to see you there!

Congrats! I signed a contract for a one bedroom, but I was looking for someone to share a two-bedroom unit with. We might be able to contact them and change it to a 2 bedroom if you are interested?

Who did you call/speak too to sign a contract for a one bedroom?

If we are (im)patiently waiting on the pending a seat list and are planning on attending here, should we be actively looking up housing now?

If we are (im)patiently waiting on the pending a seat list and are planning on attending here, should we be actively looking up housing now?

Unless you are okay with living in Kirksville for a year prior to school, I would not advise it; there is no way to guarantee that a seat will become available and you really don't want to be locked in a lease agreement. As far as I am aware currently, all student housing units are claimed at the moment. I am by no means their spokesperson, so it would be best to contact them directly. They informed me that they have a waiting list for housing that can be utilized.

Huh? Haha

Oops, my apologies. I read that quickly and read it is as "When did you...". You email [email protected] with all questions and inquiries. I emailed them recently asking about students sharing housing units; they told me that is not allowed and that all units were currently claimed.

Oops, my apologies. I read that quickly and read it is as "When did you...". You email [email protected] with all questions and inquiries. I emailed them recently asking about students sharing housing units; they told me that is not allowed and that all units were currently claimed.
Haha no worries! And thanks for letting me know. Time is flying by... we’ll be starting in a couple months

Has anyone heard about their match-list/percentage?

Just got a call that I’m off the pending seat list and officially have a spot for this fall!!!

Interviewed 1/29, accepted pending a seat 2/2. I am currently waiting to hear back from KCOM, DMU, and AZCOM. At this point I don't even care where I go as long as I get to start somewhere this year. This process is absolutely exhausting. Hopefully there will be plenty of movement in the next few weeks.

soooooo does anyone know if KCOM will upload their match list for 2018 soon?