2017-2018 A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received alternate status today. Does anyone know how common it is to be accepted off the waitlist since they give out so many "accepted pending a seat"?

Members don't see this ad.

Cancelled my interview and withdrew my application today. It was a tough decision, but I feel like KCU is a better fit for me. A Jan. 8th spot will be opening up if anyone would like to re-schedule their interview date. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cancelled my interview and withdrew my application today. It was a tough decision, but I feel like KCU is a better fit for me. A Jan. 8th spot will be opening up if anyone would like to re-schedule their interview date. Best of luck to you all!

You mean January 12? They only interview Friday's and the only other date available was the 19...

You mean January 12? They only interview Friday's and the only other date available was the 19...

When I scheduled my interview in November, there was a January 5th and January 8th date. I just cancelled today, so they probably haven't opened the spot up yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 5.19.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 5.19.39 PM.png
    40 KB · Views: 63
When I scheduled my interview in November, there was a January 5th and January 8th date. I just cancelled today, so they probably haven't opened the spot up yet.

Oh dang, yeah I must have misunderstood. It looked a Friday was their interview days from when I scheduled last week. I would reschedule for earlier, but I don't know how to go about doing that?

Oh dang, yeah I must have misunderstood. It looked a Friday was their interview days from when I scheduled last week. I would reschedule for earlier, but I don't know how to go about doing that?
No problem. I think they list a phone number for any questions on the application portal's interview tab. I would start there. Call tomorrow and ask if it's possible to reschedule for an earlier day. Hopefully my spot will be open then!

Actually they won't reschedule you for an earlier interview unless you're on the waitlist for an earlier interview. Then whenever someone cancels their interview, Mr. Mike Lee would go about calling people on the list to reschedule. To be put on the waitlist, you also have to email him and request it. I was able to reschedule my interview because I received an email mentioning that I could request to be put on the waitlist, so I did.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Does anyone have any input on what size iPad would be best? I'm going to get the pro but I'm not sure if the 12.9" will be too big. When I was trying on the white coat the lady mentioned many students put the iPad in the coat pocket and I didn't know if the 10.5" was better for that.

Anyone think 12/1 interviewees will hear back tomorrow (Friday, 22nd)?

Anyone think 12/1 interviewees will hear back tomorrow (Friday, 22nd)?
I interviewed on 11/17, and I still haven't heard anything yet, but then again they don't send acceptances by interviewee groups or based on when you interviewed. They just send acceptances to who they want when they want, and if it's taking you forever to hear back, you're probably still under review, and they haven't reached a decision yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received alternate status today. Does anyone know how common it is to be accepted off the waitlist since they give out so many "accepted pending a seat"?

We have multiple people who were accepted off the alternative list. One of my good friends was pulled off the list a week before orientation

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Does anyone have any input on what size iPad would be best? I'm going to get the pro but I'm not sure if the 12.9" will be too big. When I was trying on the white coat the lady mentioned many students put the iPad in the coat pocket and I didn't know if the 10.5" was better for that.

It is up to personal preference. I can barely get my 9.7 in my pocket so I wouldn’t worry about that. You can look everything up on your phone which is much smaller. I love my 9.7 but I have classmates who love their 12.9. I would go to Best Buy or a store and play with both sizes before you make a decision

We have multiple people who were accepted off the alternative list. One of my good friends was pulled off the list a week before orientation

So they were actually on the alternate list and not the "accepted pending a seat list"? If so, that gives me hope! :)

So I interviewed on November 17 and still haven't heard anything back yet, is this normal? Should I be worried?

Hi, would you be able to provide the link to the FB page? I wasn't able to find it. Thank you!
Yes! It was under "ATSU-KCOM Class of 2022." Took me a while to find it as well haha

'

just get one that works. VERY few medical students bring their ipads on clinical rotations. just use your phone. i don't think this should determine what size ipad you get.

II just now..will be declining because I already have a deposit at another DO school, but really was looking forward to this school starting AACOMAS. Good luck to ya'll!

I will be withdrawing my acceptance from this school... do I call admissions or email them?

II just now..will be declining because I already have a deposit at another DO school, but really was looking forward to this school starting AACOMAS. Good luck to ya'll!
When were you complete?

+1, haven't gotten an II though. Maybe that means they're going back to the people they passed over before? A boy can dream...
I was complete probably in July or August, didn't receive an interview invite until January, and was accepted in May. It could very well still happen! Keep your hopes up!

+1, haven't gotten an II though. Maybe that means they're going back to the people they passed over before? A boy can dream...
You're probably right - they sent me this e-mail before the II!
Fingers crossed for you - thought you got accepted to DMU. Would you pick KCOM over DMU?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 9.50.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 9.50.19 PM.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 105
You're probably right - they sent me this e-mail before the II!
Fingers crossed for you - thought you got accepted to DMU. Would you pick KCOM over DMU?
That... sounds a lot like they're interviewing for the waitlist. I am accepted to DMU, but I've turned down a few IIs and of the schools I haven't heard back from yet, KCOM is probably the only one I'd still interview at. I'd see what they have to offer, but if I don't like it and get in then I at least might have some leverage to get more financial aid from DMU.

Reactions: 1 users
That... sounds a lot like they're interviewing for the waitlist. I am accepted to DMU, but I've turned down a few IIs and of the schools I haven't heard back from yet, KCOM is probably the only one I'd still interview at. I'd see what they have to offer, but if I don't like it and get in then I at least might have some leverage to get more financial aid from DMU.

You mentioned leverage to get more financial aid. I had thought about this but wasn't sure how to go about it. Any advice?

Anyone interview 12/8 and still not hear back?

Anyone interview 12/8 and still not hear back?
I interviewed on 11/17, and I still haven't heard back. I ended up putting my deposit down at another school, and made my peace with KCOM.

I interviewed on 11/17, and I still haven't heard back. I ended up putting my deposit down at another school, and made my peace with KCOM.

I have done the same also.

Some boards data from not too long ago.
image1.PNG

So I interviewed on 11/17, and completely lost any hope of getting accepted. I even paid my deposit at another school. To my greatest surprise, I just got an acceptance call. Now I'm torn between attending the school I already paid the deposit to, or KCOM. If I would have gotten the call sooner, there wouldn't have been any debate because I know KCOM is a great school...

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

So I interviewed on 11/17, and completely lost any hope of getting accepted. I even paid my deposit at another school. To my greatest surprise, I just got an acceptance call. Now I'm torn between attending the school I already paid the deposit to, or KCOM. If I would have gotten the call sooner, there wouldn't have been any debate because I know KCOM is a great school...

Is the other school cheaper?

It is actually. Like 9k cheaper.

And cost of living in the city? If it's not insanely high, I'd go to the cheaper. Kirksville will not give you an education or opportunities that are $40K (9K per year + interest) better than the other school. Unless the other school is super new or has major glaring problems it's a no-brainer to me.

Has anyone here interviewed and been put on hold until a specific date? I interviewed back in Oct. and was put on hold and told I would have an answer on January 24th. Anxiously awaiting that day.

I just got an interview invite yesterday, 1/11. I have been complete since late July.

The email said the class is filling extremely quickly, but not all seats were secured by a deposit. They anticipate that they will have several seats in upcoming weeks, and they encouraged me to interview if KCOM is one of my top choices. The email also says they have guaranteed seats to offer for next year's class.

I won't be attending this interview- I've accepted and deposited elsewhere, but thought this info might be helpful to some of you. :)

I declined my acceptance today. It was a hard choice, because this is a great school. However, it is a more expensive school than one of my other acceptances and just not the right fit for me. I really liked the facilities, ultra sound curriculum and how heavily they emphasize OMM. Good luck to the rest of you!

I declined my acceptance today. It was a hard choice, because this is a great school. However, it is a more expensive school than one of my other acceptances and just not the right fit for me. I really liked the facilities, ultra sound curriculum and how heavily they emphasize OMM. Good luck to the rest of you!
I'm facing a similar choice. It's so hard to decide, but I had already put down the deposit at another DO school which is also a lot cheaper and in a bigger city (don't like the small town vibe) than ATSU. At the same time, I really liked ATSU for being such a great school, but I'm likely going to decline my acceptance as well.

Just received the acceptance call. Interviewed 12/8. Will be respectfully turning it down due to being accepted to my top DO choice. Hope it goes to someone on here!

Just received the acceptance call. Interviewed 12/8. Will be respectfully turning it down due to being accepted to my top DO choice. Hope it goes to someone on here!

Congrats! Which school if you don't mind me asking was your top choice?

Congrats! Which school if you don't mind me asking was your top choice?
Midwestern-CCOM! Although the tuition is crazy high, for me the location and clinical rotations outweighed the price.

Midwestern-CCOM! Although the tuition is crazy high, for me the location and clinical rotations outweighed the price.
We'll see if you still feel that way in 4 years