2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long time lurker here who just made an account, interviewed this past Friday it was crazy...so many people! PM me if you want to hear more about it or need some help for your upcoming interview here!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My interview is on December 8th. I am sorting out transportation. I'm looking at either taking the amtrak to the station in La Plata or flying. Does anyone have any advice on taxis/hotels etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted back in October. Will be withdrawing. Hoping the spot goes to someone who really wishes to attend here!

Reactions: 2 users
My interview is on December 8th. I am sorting out transportation. I'm looking at either taking the amtrak to the station in La Plata or flying. Does anyone have any advice on taxis/hotels etc?

I stayed at the Hampton Inn which was a 3 min drive from the school on Higley. They had amazing customer service and free breakfast that starts at 6am! (So enough time to eat before you have to be at school for interview). It wasn't the cheapest though and they don't have any ATSU discounts but I thought the few extra bucks was worth decreasing a little bit of stress.

Can't really help on flying/train since I drove there from my home city. But I do know downtown Pheonix was only about a 30 min drive from there, if that helps with where you can fly in.

I was accepted to MUCH higher caliber schools.

Also, it seems like youll be in the minority. There is a massive minority-service emphasis and LGBT advertisement all over campus as well as obviously democratic leadership. I saw 20+ students and not a single straight white male but that could be luck of the draw. Congrats on your acceptance to a bottom-tier school lmfao.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha MUCH HIGHER nice, chief

Just for my own curiosity, because I have already been accepted to other schools, does this school do silent rejections? Lol I sent my secondary in early August and have heard zilch.

Just for my own curiosity, because I have already been accepted to other schools, does this school do silent rejections? Lol I sent my secondary in early August and have heard zilch.

I had my app in mid or early august and just heard back. I think they're just slow. I thought I had gotten a silent rejection. I'd just wait it out, as hard as that is I know :|

I had my app in mid or early august and just heard back. I think they're just slow. I thought I had gotten a silent rejection. I'd just wait it out, as hard as that is I know :|

They had close to 6k apps last year, and that # probably went up this year. Most likely the culprit for the delayed response.

dumb question..on the secondaries they're asking for LORs...this is the one they're receiving from AACOMAS right? We don't actually have to send them into ATSU-SOMA correct?

dumb question..on the secondaries they're asking for LORs...this is the one they're receiving from AACOMAS right? We don't actually have to send them into ATSU-SOMA correct?

I didn’t send anything directly to them and I got an II so I am assuming no

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I have my interview on December 1st, and I will be going to the Dean's welcome night as well. Congratulations to those who got accepted and Good luck to everyone else in the process! I was wondering if there's a facebook groupchat so I can connect with those attending interview, also any tips for interview would be greatly appreciated. Feeling excited but stressed!

I think its too early for people who interviewed on Nov 3, but has anyone heard anything? I heard they usually release the following Wednesday, so should we be hearing back tomorrow?

Just got a phone call and an ACCEPTANCE!!!

Got the acceptance call this morning! Interviewed 11/03

Pink group :D

Last edited:
Hi! Would someone like to share the format of the interview? MMI + traditional? Only MMI? Thanks in advance!

ACCEPTANCE CALL! I think, i didnt really listen to what the admissions counselor was saying but i assume if they called me that means I got in.
Shoutout to team yellow on 11/3

Do you guys think they are done making calls for today? Still haven’t gotten the call :/

Has anyone with an II been recently notified of a sooner available interview day?

Does anyone know when they send the acceptance email? I got the call but I'm still in a little disbelief so I would kind of like some concrete proof for myself haha

Rejected too by email...not sure where I went wrong

Has anyone who has already paid the deposit receive their assigned CHC site?

How did you decide on the CHC you wanted?
After the acceptance email they sent the email they sent out an email about information on the CHC sites and a link to write down your preferences. I chose my list based off of location and proximity to family, but after looking at the informational slides of all the different sites, it looks they would all be pretty decent!
Also go team yellow!! Proud of us! :)

Last edited:
A little confused from previous posts. I thought MMI and "speed dating" were the same things. If they're different can someone please explain?

A little confused from previous posts. I thought MMI and "speed dating" were the same things. If they're different can someone please explain?

I haven't had my interview yet, but MMIs specifically give you scenarios to which you have to respond. My impression is that speed dating is more like a quick version of a traditional interview.

I haven't had my interview yet, but MMIs specifically give you scenarios to which you have to respond. My impression is that speed dating is more like a quick version of a traditional interview.

This. 2 5 minute MMIs where you enter a scenario. Speed dating is you sit, and for 2-3 minutes respond to one sentence spoken to you (repeat 8-9 times).

This is true

After the acceptance email they sent the email they sent out an email about information on the CHC sites and a link to write down your preferences. I chose my list based off of location and proximity to family, but after looking at the informational slides of all the different sites, it looks they would all be pretty decent!
Also go team yellow!! Proud of us! :)

Congrats! I was just accepted as well! Just wanted to ask - did you sign the admissions contract too or just submit your CHC rankings and deposit?

Congrats! I was just accepted as well! Just wanted to ask - did you sign the admissions contract too or just submit your CHC rankings and deposit?
Thank you! and congrats to you as well! I signed the admission contract too but not sure if it makes a difference because haven't been assigned a site yet. Totally forgot how long they said it'd take in the interview!

Thank you! and congrats to you as well! I signed the admission contract too but not sure if it makes a difference because haven't been assigned a site yet. Totally forgot how long they said it'd take in the interview!

Were there any factors you took into account for choosing a CHC besides location and proximity to family? I don't really know what to look for other than the location haha

Were there any factors you took into account for choosing a CHC besides location and proximity to family? I don't really know what to look for other than the location haha
I thought the powerpoint slides for each location were pretty helpful in regards to getting a feel for each site's vibe- I looked at the preceptor's backgrounds for each site as well! Also not sure how reliable this is, but I looked at google reviews for some of the CHCs to get patient's perspectives of the health centers too. If your still iffy you could email students at the different CHCs and get their opinion! I feel like they'll all be pretty similar clinically and academically in the end- so its ultimately where you want to live for those last 3 years

Does ATSU-SOMA have both a virtual and real anatomy lab? I wasn't able to go on the tour the day before due to work. Can anyone give me some insight? Thanks

Thank you! And thanks for replying! As for CHC, I forgot how long they said it'd take too haha. Hopefully we get our #1 picks!! :)

Mmi X1, traditional x1, speed dating, observed group activity, observed guided discussion. Read "premed playbook" before because you're gonna get a lot of questions you would have never thought of, and know about the school like your life depends on it. If you're prepared and sincere, it's a good time. I interviewed at a few MD schools that were traditional x2 each and I felt like atsu soma really got a better idea about me with their interview field day. Some people weren't prepared, and they kinda freaked out. It can be a fun, positive experience if you hit it head on.

Current student here - PLEASE do not post interview details about SOMA. You signed a non-disclosure agreement on your interview day, did you not?? How insincere of you as an inspiring physician. Post has been reported

Current student here - PLEASE do not post interview details about SOMA. You signed a non-disclosure agreement on your interview day, did you not?? How insincere of you as an inspiring physician. Post has been reported

Rough day, eh?

Welcome to why I disliked SOMA so much. Students like this attend the school.

Reactions: 1 users