2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current student here - PLEASE do not post interview details about SOMA. You signed a non-disclosure agreement on your interview day, did you not?? How insincere of you as an inspiring physician. Post has been reported
Creating a second account because you want to report these users several times is a TOS violation. This account will be closed and your primary account put on probation.

Secondly, SDN does not have a NDA with any medical school and we do not enforce them or EULA. Thus, these posts are not TOS violations.

Finally, these posts are at best vague and do not reveal sufficient detail to reach legal violation of an NDA. If your school faculty wishes to discuss this with SDN, they may do so through appropriate channels. After all, I'm here locally.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Current student here - PLEASE do not post interview details about SOMA. You signed a non-disclosure agreement on your interview day, did you not?? How insincere of you as an inspiring physician. Post has been reported

I feel bad for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could any of you who have already interviewed here please PM me? I have a couple of questions. Thanks so much!

Hey everyone, I'm interviewing this Friday. Do we need to have a list of CHC's that we want to go to at the interview, or is that after (if) we get accepted?

anyone from SoCal drive out the day before? Do you recommend driving?

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm interviewing at ATSU-SOMA and was wondering if anything could pm me and give me any advice?

Interviewing on the 15th.. anyone from SoCal drive out the day before? Do you recommend driving?

I've made the drive before LA area to PHX is about 6 hours. If you feel comfortable with that do it

Interviewing on the 15th.. anyone from SoCal drive out the day before? Do you recommend driving?

I actually flew out the day before so I could be sure to get to the welcome meeting the night before. You could drive but it’s an awfully long time in the car from SoCal and it might be just as expensive as flying with cost of gas. I also chose an Airbnb instead of a hotel. Hope this helps!

Hi guys! I'm interviewing at ATSU-SOMA and was wondering if anything could pm me and give me any advice?

Just be yourself. I know it sounds cheesy and obvious but they truly just want to know what kind of person you are and what your goals as a physician are. They are a mission based school so if you align with their mission, you’ll be fine. I was super nervous and overthought the whole day when in reality, it was an awesome experience experience. You’ll do great

Reactions: 1 users
I actually flew out the day before so I could be sure to get to the welcome meeting the night before. You could drive but it’s an awfully long time in the car from SoCal and it might be just as expensive as flying with cost of gas. I also chose an Airbnb instead of a hotel. Hope this helps!

This is probably not true.
$37.48 x 2 from Orange County to Mesa, $75 rt gas, that's averaging CA and AZ gas prices, and in a V6 Accord that only gets 24 mpg freeway. Not trying to argue but I wouldn't consider it sound financial advising to say "fly from Southern California to Phoenix" unless you are incapable of or unwilling to drive for 5.5 hours each way.

Members don't see this ad :)
$37.48 x 2 from Orange County to Mesa, $75 rt gas, that's averaging CA and AZ gas prices, and in a V6 Accord that only gets 24 mpg freeway. Not trying to argue but I wouldn't consider it sound financial advising to say "fly from Southern California to Phoenix" unless you are incapable of or unwilling to drive for 5.5 hours each way.

Also, you can drive and still make it to the Deans Welcome. This is not a challenging scenario.

Just trying to provide some options dude.

Thanks for the input, guys! After seeing the flight prices now.. I decided that I'm going to drive.

Thanks for the input, guys! After seeing the flight prices now.. I decided that I'm going to drive.

For what it's worth I skipped the Dean'a Welcome and watched Thursday Night Football in my hotel room. The more I thought it just seemed like more time under the microscope-and they put you under hella microscope here-and the interview day does start earlier than any other interview I've been to, by several hours. This may or may not be a useful perspective for you.

For what it's worth I skipped the Dean'a Welcome and watched Thursday Night Football in my hotel room. The more I thought it just seemed like more time under the microscope-and they put you under hella microscope here-and the interview day does start earlier than any other interview I've been to, by several hours. This may or may not be a useful perspective for you.

I found the Dean's welcome very casual and very helpful. I did not feel under a microscope and it gave additional information about the school that I didn't know prior to going. During the interview day, I also didn't feel "under the microscope". I thought it was a really relaxed experience for both the interview and dead's welcome. I was just honest about who I was and what I wanted and its a good fit. I'm sorry you seem to have a negative outlook about the school. I think that is something people have to decide for themselves, though.

Reactions: 2 users
I drove from L.A the day of Dean's welcome. I left at 7am. Took me 5.5 hours since there is no traffic that early. Also once you hit the 10 is easy 90 all the way there. Took one quick bathroom break. Also account for the 1 hour time difference the moment you pass the border.
My Prius did it in one tank each way, LA + Mesa Prices cost me total $50 in gas for a round trip (again, cruising around 90 most the way).

I drove from L.A the day of Dean's welcome. I left at 7am. Took me 5.5 hours since there is no traffic that early. Also once you hit the 10 is easy 90 all the way there. Took one quick bathroom break. Also account for the 1 hour time difference the moment you pass the border.
My Prius did it in one tank each way, LA + Mesa Prices cost me total $50 in gas for a round trip (again, cruising around 90 most the way).
Omg! I forgot all about the time difference! Thank you so much lol

I found the Dean's welcome very casual and very helpful. I did not feel under a microscope and it gave additional information about the school that I didn't know prior to going. During the interview day, I also didn't feel "under the microscope". I thought it was a really relaxed experience for both the interview and dead's welcome. I was just honest about who I was and what I wanted and its a good fit. I'm sorry you seem to have a negative outlook about the school. I think that is something people have to decide for themselves, though.

I don't have a negative outlook. I enjoyed the interview there more than any other school.

Anyone recently get an II? I've had my eyes peeled for a response from here O.O

Anyone recently get an II? I've had my eyes peeled for a response from here O.O
Today, just a few hours ago. Really OOS (east coast), LizzyM 70-72, significant healthcare experience, complete 11/28. There were two remaining interview dates on the calendar for scheduling - March 9th and March 30th.

I don't have a negative outlook. I enjoyed the interview there more than any other school.
Same, it was my favorite interview.

Does anyone know how long they usually take to give you a decision?

2 to 3 weeks is what he said
I got my result 18 days after the interview. Naturally I was losing my mind days 15-18, expecting the call on day 14. The best/worst part, day 14 I saw a call from Mesa, Az ---they were calling to answer a question I'd emailed them. Sick sense of humor someone there had :)

Same, it was my favorite interview.

Does anyone know how long they usually take to give you a decision?
I heard the Wednesday right before the two week mark. I assume they'll at least tell you decently before the holidays.

I heard the Wednesday right before the two week mark. I assume they'll at least tell you decently before the holidays.

I hope so, as other people have heard then. A lot of DO schools have deposits due on Dec 14 due to AACOMAS guidelines and I’ll def be attending ATSU if I get in so it’d be nice to know tmmr and save two thousand dollars

Current first year here; for those of you who get interviews later in the cycle, there's still a lot of hope so don't feel down! I didn't get my interview invite until Jan/February ish and interviewed on 3/31; I know a bunch of classmates that interviewed around the same time period as well so stay strong! Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just gave up my spot yesterday. SOMA seems like a great school, just too far from home for me. Wish you all the best!

I hope so, as other people have heard then. A lot of DO schools have deposits due on Dec 14 due to AACOMAS guidelines and I’ll def be attending ATSU if I get in so it’d be nice to know tmmr and save two thousand dollars
Thats the worst part of getting in lol, each school asks for over $1000

Maybe today is the day :) @tiredphilosophile did you interview on Dec 1st?

Thats the worst part of getting in lol, each school asks for over $1000

Maybe today is the day :) @tiredphilosophile did you interview on Dec 1st?

Yea I did, I think they meet on Monday’s so I expect to hear next week honestly. Although fingers crossed for today.

Still had to pay $2k to reserve a seat at my other school though :( But I shouldn’t complain. Good luck to the both of us!

Yea I did, I think they meet on Monday’s so I expect to hear next week honestly. Although fingers crossed for today.

Still had to pay $2k to reserve a seat at my other school though :( But I shouldn’t complain. Good luck to the both of us!

That's an interesting perspective. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of applicants out there with no acceptances who would pay $2,000 to have a seat or maybe even just an interview at whatever the worst school in America. Those accepted students amongst us ought not forget that :)

That's an interesting perspective. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of applicants out there with no acceptances who would pay $2,000 to have a seat or maybe even just an interview at whatever the worst school in America. Those accepted students amongst us ought not forget that :)

I didn't mean that you sound ungrateful by the way--I meant that you do sound grateful, and it is good we should all maintain this.

I didn't mean that you sound ungrateful by the way--I meant that you do sound grateful, and it is good we should all maintain this.

No worries yo, I agree with what you’re saying

I hope we find out this week for those of us that had a Dec 1st interview

Does anyone know the guy's name who gave the first half of the presentation at the interview on Friday?

Just cancelled my 1/26 interview here if anyone wants to look for the time to reschedule

Does anyone know the guy's name who gave the first half of the presentation at the interview on Friday?
The dean or the doctor? The doctor was Dr. Mascaro, I forgot the dean's name.

Anyone else have a mini heart attack from that post interview survey email..:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

II today. Applied to this school in October I think.

Reactions: 1 users
II, I was complete beginning of September. The earliest date is in March.