2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, I am currently a 4th year at ATSU-SOMA. We are all finishing up the residency process and waiting for the Match (AOA) on Feb 5th. With this in mind, I have had some downtime and was reading through SDN and saw that some people had some questions about this program and I wanted to offer to answer questions as best as I can. Let me know if I can help, either send me a message or post below. I will answer the questions I have seen so far.

1) CHC's: Personally this is what pulled me to this program. I had previous military experience (Navy Corpsman) and worked in the civilian medical field as well. Why this is important to me is that this program allows you to get involved with patient care during your second year, instead of the normal 3rd year. You get an 8-hour clinical day once a week with a PCP and some of the CHC's you get the opportunity to rotate through things like pharmacy, dietary, radiology, etc. In the military we learned by "See one, Do one, Teach one", this is how I viewed the second year (and beyond). You learned the information you needed from the book/presentations/lectures (See One). Then you would go and work at the clinic and actually help perform the procedures, exam, etc to diagnosis it (Do one). Then because the smaller groups at each CHC you are able to work one on one with other students and as you progress through the years teach those below you (Teach One). Each CHC has its pluses and minuses like any program. One of the nice things also is that you normally work one on one with an attending. When it comes to larger cities you have access to larger facilities, more things to do, but more competition. Some of the more rural ones you don't get the "numbers", but you get to do a lot of procedures and see a lot of pathology, because you are not competing with a high volume of other medical students/residents/fellows and because health care is normally located to one or two hospitals. An example of this was during my surgery rotation I was the 1st assist during the entire rotation. Also, I have been able to do almost every procedure numerous times during both 2nd-4th years: chest tubes, central lines, intubations, sutures, etc. I personally feel that if you are willing to put in the time and effort into this program and the CHC's it will make you a very well rounded and great future doctor. The last thing I will put in is that working at a CHC allows you to work with people who truly need and appreciate the care you give. This ranges from the underserved, homeless, migrant clinics, and many others. I can tell you this has humbled me greatly and it has broadened my eyes to things that I had not known before.

2) I read several times about issues with the school and interviews. Every school has its pluses and minuses. What I can tell you is that the staff/students/administration all are there to support you and help you through the process. We have some of the best instructors and our Dean Dr. Morgan is always on the side of the student and strives to make our school better each year. They allow a lot of student feedback and change based on that input. Our school (from my perspective) is geared toward creating doctors who want to serve the underserved and thus are looking for individuals who show that through attitudes, experience, and general background. Grades are important, but who you are is more important. I can tell you that this school does not discriminate against anyone. I noted that there were comments about SJW/Democrats and other mentions about not picking people because they were of a certain race/sex/gender. I can tell you that the aforementioned group (white/straight) fits many of us (including me), but we also have individuals of all races, political parties, religions, sexes, genders, sexual orientation, etc. Some people may not be comfortable with it, but I have found that it has much the same feeling that the military had (that everyone has your back). There will be people you like more than others and some that you may not get along with 100%, but that is life and if you can't handle that you shouldn't be a doctor.

Those were the two main things I noted at this time. Again thank you all and I wish you all the best of luck and hope that each and every person here gets into either this program or the one they want the most. I truly have enjoyed all 4 of my years at this program and feel very confident in my skills for the future. Again let me know if I can answer any further questions and watch out for the FLU!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all, I am currently a 4th year at ATSU-SOMA. We are all finishing up the residency process and waiting for the Match (AOA) on Feb 5th. With this in mind, I have had some downtime and was reading through SDN and saw that some people had some questions about this program and I wanted to offer to answer questions as best as I can. Let me know if I can help, either send me a message or post below. I will answer the questions I have seen so far.

1) CHC's: Personally this is what pulled me to this program. I had previous military experience (Navy Corpsman) and worked in the civilian medical field as well. Why this is important to me is that this program allows you to get involved with patient care during your second year, instead of the normal 3rd year. You get an 8-hour clinical day once a week with a PCP and some of the CHC's you get the opportunity to rotate through things like pharmacy, dietary, radiology, etc. In the military we learned by "See one, Do one, Teach one", this is how I viewed the second year (and beyond). You learned the information you needed from the book/presentations/lectures (See One). Then you would go and work at the clinic and actually help perform the procedures, exam, etc to diagnosis it (Do one). Then because the smaller groups at each CHC you are able to work one on one with other students and as you progress through the years teach those below you (Teach One). Each CHC has its pluses and minuses like any program. One of the nice things also is that you normally work one on one with an attending. When it comes to larger cities you have access to larger facilities, more things to do, but more competition. Some of the more rural ones you don't get the "numbers", but you get to do a lot of procedures and see a lot of pathology, because you are not competing with a high volume of other medical students/residents/fellows and because health care is normally located to one or two hospitals. An example of this was during my surgery rotation I was the 1st assist during the entire rotation. Also, I have been able to do almost every procedure numerous times during both 2nd-4th years: chest tubes, central lines, intubations, sutures, etc. I personally feel that if you are willing to put in the time and effort into this program and the CHC's it will make you a very well rounded and great future doctor. The last thing I will put in is that working at a CHC allows you to work with people who truly need and appreciate the care you give. This ranges from the underserved, homeless, migrant clinics, and many others. I can tell you this has humbled me greatly and it has broadened my eyes to things that I had not known before.

2) I read several times about issues with the school and interviews. Every school has its pluses and minuses. What I can tell you is that the staff/students/administration all are there to support you and help you through the process. We have some of the best instructors and our Dean Dr. Morgan is always on the side of the student and strives to make our school better each year. They allow a lot of student feedback and change based on that input. Our school (from my perspective) is geared toward creating doctors who want to serve the underserved and thus are looking for individuals who show that through attitudes, experience, and general background. Grades are important, but who you are is more important. I can tell you that this school does not discriminate against anyone. I noted that there were comments about SJW/Democrats and other mentions about not picking people because they were of a certain race/sex/gender. I can tell you that the aforementioned group (white/straight) fits many of us (including me), but we also have individuals of all races, political parties, religions, sexes, genders, sexual orientation, etc. Some people may not be comfortable with it, but I have found that it has much the same feeling that the military had (that everyone has your back). There will be people you like more than others and some that you may not get along with 100%, but that is life and if you can't handle that you shouldn't be a doctor.

Those were the two main things I noted at this time. Again thank you all and I wish you all the best of luck and hope that each and every person here gets into either this program or the one they want the most. I truly have enjoyed all 4 of my years at this program and feel very confident in my skills for the future. Again let me know if I can answer any further questions and watch out for the FLU!!!
Thank you for the to-the-point explanation/insight about the program and your own experience! This is exactly what we need in order to better align/compare our goals with those of a particular school.
I was a little concerned that the time spent at the clinic may take away study time - like for exams and especially for the boards - placing ‘us’ at a disadvantage. But your explanation put me at ease.
Again, great post and I admire you!

I all heartly wish that you match to the program of your first choice!

Reactions: 1 user
Enjoy graduating from your “top tier” DO med school and subsequently not getting ranked by any programs for residency since your attitude will come out in the residency interview.

I bet Ill rank higher than SOMA graduates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the to-the-point explanation/insight about the program and your own experience! This is exactly what we need in order to better align/compare our goals with those of a particular school.
I was a little concerned that the time spent at the clinic may take away study time - like for exams and especially for the boards - placing ‘us’ at a disadvantage. But your explanation put me at ease.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. I agree with you as some of the concerns you had were also concerns I had when I was looking into the program. In the end (for me at least and most of my classmates) we enjoyed being able to study something and then see it in the clinic and get doctors who have dealt with it for years that would answer questions and give you advice on how to remember things or study. Also most/all CHC's meet up with a RDME (a doc who is associated with the school at your CHC) and they go over presentations and give info/advice and make sure all is going well. I can tell you that my RDME (two) are amazing doctors who take care of us and we all have become a big family. Its a big choice and it truly is stressful and life changing, that is why I wanted to try to give an insider perspective. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

You must not have any clue what program directors look for during an interview man, they will see right through whatever facade you put on during interview day. The last thing we need as physicians is another arrogant, entitled ego serving the people of this country. Best of luck to you, it will be harder than you think to make friends and influence people with the attitude that you have.

The dean or the doctor? The doctor was Dr. Mascaro, I forgot the dean's name.

Jeffrey W. Morgan, DO, MA, FACOI
Dean, Associate Professor
Internal Medicine

Hope this helps!!!

For current SOMA students, are there any research opportunities?

Research:

1st Year: you are going to be crazy busy, but if you like pain and to push yourself our OMT staff does a lot of research and they use and let students help with it. Our school is very open to letting students expand themselves, so with that in mind if you talked to one of the instructors it wouldn't be unheard of to write a paper or study.

2nd-4th year: this is when more individuals do research. 2nd year there is a required group research project that every CHC works on, it is part of or biostats/epi. My group presented our posters and won at one place and came in second at another. It all about how willing you are to push yourself, some people do the one project and are done while others constantly present and do research. Its normally not ground breaking, but it will get you prepared to continue the pursuit of the never ending learning a doctor is required to do! Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Does ATSU-SOMA have both a virtual and real anatomy lab? I wasn't able to go on the tour the day before due to work. Can anyone give me some insight? Thanks

Anatomy:
We have both a cadaver lab and a 3D Virtual lab. When I was a first year (back in my day lol) we would have two groups Hippocrates and Galen. One group would spend the beginning of the afternoon with the cadaver lab, while the other would be in the virtual lab. The virtual lab is pretty cool, hopefully they use it more now then when I was first year. They are able to project MRI/CT's and models, its really cool. The cadaver lab is like any other cadaver lab, we have a dissection group that gets together (all volunteer from class) and dissects out the needed anatomy. Then after 1-2 hours you would switch. Both labs have students (work study) that stay in them most of the day/night so you are able to use it later to study. Our anatomy staff is awesome, we have a anatomy practical in the cadaver lab several time throughout 1st year. They will put pins into structures or ask questions based off of knowing what the structure is. Let me know if you have any other questions on this and hope this helps!

So I got in touch with the admissions office and was told that they were barely meeting to make decisions this week (possibly today.) They said a couple staff members left which had affected the review process, but that they should have decisions this week and letters/emails would go out next week.

It’s been a long wait.. I really hope We hear good news this week!

II today for 3/30. They made it clear from the email that I will be interviewing for an alternate list spot.

Does anyone know which CHCs are left?

Very few, I got my 7th choice and the only ones under me where NC, Hawaii, Ohio and California. Although im happy with where i got placed, they told us theyre is a lot of chc waitlist movement

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few, I got my 7th choice and the only ones under me where NC, Hawaii, Ohio and California. Although im happy with where i got placed, they told us theyre is a lot of chc waitlist movement
You mean SC and not NC, correct?

Just got an email saying I'm on alternate list.

Last edited:
Do they push OMT on you as much at this school as they do at KCOM? When I interviewed at KCOM, they said you're required to do 3 hours a day, two days a week... I like the idea of learning OMT, but having it shoved down my throat like that was not appealing. Thanks!

Do they push OMT on you as much at this school as they do at KCOM? When I interviewed at KCOM, they said you're required to do 3 hours a day, two days a week... I like the idea of learning OMT, but having it shoved down my throat like that was not appealing. Thanks!

4 hours, one day a week 1st/2nd year. 2nd year is more personalized with your CHC having a local doctor teach it. It's not too bad and a lot of the doctors focus on the more physical therapy aspects. There are a couple of docs 1st year who really love it though. All together it depends on how much exposure you want, if you want more there is OMT club that gets together and after hours you can get together with OMT Docs, but if you just want the basics it's not forced on you. Hope that helps.

Anyone have an accurate match list for ATSU - SOMA Class of 2017? Not the one posted on their website that is inaccurate...

Hello everyone, OMSI here. Just stopping by because I don't want to study right now. It is Friday night after all.
To those wondering whether they should show up to the interview this late in the game, I interviewed here early March and was accepted pending an open seat. My recommendation is, if you are already accepted to another school that you WANT to attend, then decline the interview here; give the spot to someone else who actually wants to be at SOMA... But, if you are still waiting for acceptances, or you are accepted to a school you are 'okay' with, I suggest going to the interview and feel it out. This is going to sound like some BS but during interview day, you will feel whether you want to be at this school or not. For reals!

If you have any questions, send them my way. Although I don't know why you'd want to ask me over the 4th year up there. Also, I don't know when I'll be able to get back to you because who am I kidding, I do have study if I wanna party tomorrow night. Priorities!!

I just interviewed today! It was a fun experience! the school is beautiful and the area is nice. Im actually about to leave my hotel to go to sky harbor to go back to VA.

Funny enough, I got an acceptance to a school Im okay with the minute I came back to my hotel today, celebrated with some in and out. Its a tough choice on if I should wait to hear from my other schools, currently on 1 WL, 1 Acceptance, ATSU, and then another interview next week.

the school impressed me, but in the end I will DESPISE the logistics of moving here and going back home once in a while. and same applies to everywhere else except to the school I got accepted to.

The school was nice, but not ....move across the country and then move again for my CHC a year later...nice. So more than likely I will take the acceptance I got today and roll with it.

I totally understand. Nothing can quite compare to being "home". I wish I was as lucky. Congratulations on your acceptance, Saif95, In n out well deserved!

Hello everyone, OMSI here. Just stopping by because I don't want to study right now. It is Friday night after all.
To those wondering whether they should show up to the interview this late in the game, I interviewed here early March and was accepted pending an open seat. My recommendation is, if you are already accepted to another school that you WANT to attend, then decline the interview here; give the spot to someone else who actually wants to be at SOMA... But, if you are still waiting for acceptances, or you are accepted to a school you are 'okay' with, I suggest going to the interview and feel it out. This is going to sound like some BS but during interview day, you will feel whether you want to be at this school or not. For reals!

If you have any questions, send them my way. Although I don't know why you'd want to ask me over the 4th year up there. Also, I don't know when I'll be able to get back to you because who am I kidding, I do have study if I wanna party tomorrow night. Priorities!!

Is there a cadaver lab or is it only the virtual anatomy lab?

There is a cadaver lab with optional dissection, or at least that’s the model they used three years ago when I was a first year. The cadavers are dissected by the surgery club, then available for studying at any time.

Had my interview this past Friday! I LOVED this school, LOVED the staff, and felt VERY welcome. I am only a little concerned with their 1+3 model, and not because it is early clinical exposure, but the fact that we get sent all over the country. I like the idea of bonding with classmates, and getting to know people.

Anyone have an accurate match list for ATSU - SOMA Class of 2017? Not the one posted on their website that is inaccurate...
Just checking to see if you did what I did, at first I thought that it was incorrect and then I remembered that SOMA and Kirksville publish a lot of stuff together. If you clicked on the same link I did (the one jrlob91 posted) and scroll down the header will changes to “school of osteopathic medicine in Arizona”. The list there is accurate. I can tell you that the Class of 2017 where I am at did very well. We had Rad, Gen Surg, ENT, IM (large University), FM, and Derm/TRI. Hope that helps!

Had my interview this past Friday! I LOVED this school, LOVED the staff, and felt VERY welcome. I am only a little concerned with their 1+3 model, and not because it is early clinical exposure, but the fact that we get sent all over the country. I like the idea of bonding with classmates, and getting to know people.

I completely understand how you feel, I had similar reservations. I can tell you from my experience that the group you travel with becomes your family. I also can say without a doubt that the people I went with are the best friends I have ever had and I am glad that I made the choice to go to SOMA. Also it’s not to bad moving, the school gives you a few weeks between 1st-2nd year to get everything moved and settled. Also you will still have around 30 people per campus from the school and you meet up regularly. Our group constantly studies together and participates in group activities (when time allows). In my opinion, the quality of the friendships (2nd-4th) I have made outwieghs the quantity that was avalible 1st year (not to say I don’t value the friendships from 1st year). The other thing is that many people stay in close touch after 1st year and meet up at conferences and other activities. That’s just my thoughts, but hope it helps!

I’ll bet you have much better up to date info on first year then me! Good luck on the finishing 1st year (both tests and moving) and don’t worry it gets better each year! Let me know if you have any questions!

Interviewed here this past Friday 1/26 and really liked the vibes from the school but as others stated I'm nervous about moving somewhere else for three years (really liked the idea of settling somewhere/buying a place). Guess we will see- they told me should be 2-3 weeks turn around for acceptances.

Interviewed here this past Friday 1/26 and really liked the vibes from the school but as others stated I'm nervous about moving somewhere else for three years (really liked the idea of settling somewhere/buying a place). Guess we will see- they told me should be 2-3 weeks turn around for acceptances.
Yes, but you're going to deal with that for residency/etc anyways :)

Interviewed here 1/26 as well - LOVED IT!
Plenty of opportunities to find out abut the school, the curiculum, the CHC's, the professors (liked a lot a couple of 'older' DO's I interacted with), the labs/technology (the 3D/virtual anatomy lab was great - and they have cadaver lab as well), and meeting & interacting with several current students... giving us a sense of the kind of students they attract/accept (very friendly & humble)... and plenty of time and chances to showcase ourselves.

I think SOMA got it just right by combining traditional 1/1 interviewing with MMI, group activities (impressed & kinda surprised how supportive/non-competitive the people in my group were!), and Clinical Skills/Patient Interaction exercises! The latter was the highlight for me.
Also, the innovative curriculum combined with the CHC partnership, may/should serve to insure that mostly those that are genuinely interested in serving the underserved remain...

I know I may be in the minority here based on a couple of recent posts, but I like the opportunity to travel/move and experience different learning environments. Luckily for me, the CHC of my top choice is still open... if lucky enough to..., that is.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed here 1/26 as well - LOVED IT!
Plenty of opportunities to find out abut the school, the curiculum, the CHC's, the professors (liked a lot a couple of 'older' DO's I interacted with), the labs/technology (the 3D/virtual anatomy lab was great - and they have cadaver lab as well), and meeting & interacting with several current students... giving us a sense of the kind of students they attract/accept (very friendly & humble)... and plenty of time and chances to showcase ourselves.

I think SOMA got it just right by combining traditional 1/1 interviewing with MMI, group activities (impressed & kinda surprised how supportive/non-competitive the people in my group were!), and Clinical Skills/Patient Interaction exercises! The latter was the highlight for me.
Also, the innovative curriculum combined with the CHC partnership, may/should serve to insure that mostly those that are genuinely interested in serving the underserved remain...

I know I may be in the minority here based on a couple of recent posts, but I like the opportunity to travel/move and experience different learning environments. Luckily for me, the CHC of my top choice is still open... if lucky enough to..., that is.
Where did you see a list of which CHCs are still open?

I never said the rejection wasnt fair. We both werent right for each other. However, I will be humble.. unless someone wants to start calling me "butthurt." I give tenfold what I get.

Also, dont be a hypocritical *****. Dont presume to insult me then tell me to "start acting like it." What a fool.
I'm so, so glad SOMA didn't accept you! and a few others like you for that matter - I did meet with current students - you are in the tiny, tiny minority, that's for sure.

Please don't waste such a precious med school seat if you got one somehow, somewhere.

I wish I had gone through the whole thread pre-interview... for the net positive vibe I feel.

Last edited:
I'm so, so glad SOMA didn't accept you! and a few others like you for that matter - I did meet with current students - you are in the slim minority, that's for sure.
Please don't waste such a precious med school seat if you somehow got into one.
:flame:

We do have a cadaver lab and are usually in there on Friday afternoons. If you want additional cadaver time, you can go into the cadaver lab pretty much any time (even on weekends). Also, the dissection club (+ anatomy faculty) is in there every Wednesday afternoon (you don't have to be a member to participate in dissections). We actually don't use the Virtual Anatomy Lab as much, but you can also study in there and use it whenever.

If you choose the Phoenix CHC, then you get to stay for 4 years. I, personally, am not very fond of Arizona so I am excited to be somewhere else next year. I am having a little bit of separation anxiety though because our class has become so close.

We do have a cadaver lab and are usually in there on Friday afternoons. If you want additional cadaver time, you can go into the cadaver lab pretty much any time (even on weekends). Also, the dissection club (+ anatomy faculty) is in there every Wednesday afternoon (you don't have to be a member to participate in dissections). We actually don't use the Virtual Anatomy Lab as much, but you can also study in there and use it whenever.

If you choose the Phoenix CHC, then you get to stay for 4 years. I, personally, am not very fond of Arizona so I am excited to be somewhere else next year. I am having a little bit of separation anxiety though because our class has become so close.

Do you happen to know if Phoenix was considered a hot place to go (no pun intended). Ie was it one of the early CHCs to fill up? I wish there was a running list that were updated!

Do you happen to know if Phoenix was considered a hot place to go (no pun intended). Ie was it one of the early CHCs to fill up? I wish there was a running list that were updated!
When I spoke with one of the student ambassadors at my interview she said that Phoenix did tend to go quick (because people are local and/or don't want to move after year 1).

I'm so, so glad SOMA didn't accept you! and a few others like you for that matter - I did meet with current students - you are in the tiny, tiny minority, that's for sure.

Please don't waste such a precious med school seat if you got one somehow, somewhere.

I wish I had gone through the whole thread pre-interview... for the net positive vibe I feel.

Attachments

• IMG_3479.PNG
    IMG_3479.PNG
    216.7 KB · Views: 86

Check their match lists.
People go from SOMA to ortho and ears and rads. AOA but whatever--they still had to kill COMLEX and probably USMLE, too. Hit the ground running, Firecracker from day 1, and I'm sure you can do anything you want :)

I love this guy. Keep things spicy. I kinda get where he's coming from--I got WL at one state school, Big 12 conference MD program where they had let people who had almost a full standard deviation MCAT lower than I did--I was a little disappointed. But I didn't get up in there and talk smack about the school or how great I am.

So let's put this to bed.
P-Doc, let's have it. Your MCAT score and the "much better" school you got in to. I'm looking for 512 + and a MD program with an academic hospital. Show me this and I will bow down.

I love this guy. Keep things spicy. I kinda get where he's coming from--I got WL at one state school, Big 12 conference MD program where they had let people who had almost a full standard deviation MCAT lower than I did--I was a little disappointed. But I didn't get up in there and talk smack about the school or how great I am.

So let's put this to bed.
P-Doc, let's have it. Your MCAT score and the "much better" school you got in to. I'm looking for 512 + and a MD program with an academic hospital. Show me this and I will bow down.
? Not sure how this is conducive to the original thread, you seem to just be trying to stir the pot intentionally for no reason. No one is going to, nor should, “bow down” to someone who is as arrogant and inflammatory as the poster you are speaking to here. He could be the smartest person in the world, but will garner no respect from his peers acting this way.

? Not sure how this is conducive to the original thread, you seem to just be trying to stir the pot intentionally for no reason. No one is going to, nor should, “bow down” to someone who is as arrogant and inflammatory as the poster you are speaking to here. He could be the smartest person in the world, but will garner no respect from his peers acting this way.
You're kinda right. I just thought this may get him to shut up.

Phoenix is in high demand. Though some CHC switches are possible (done around December of first year), the likelihood of switching into Phoenix is very low.

Can any accepted or current students speak to the process regarding CHC assignments once you're accepted? I know they send you more info and then you rank your preferences, but do you get your site assignment before or after putting down your deposit?

Can any accepted or current students speak to the process regarding CHC assignments once you're accepted? I know they send you more info and then you rank your preferences, but do you get your site assignment before or after putting down your deposit?
I'm pretty sure you get your assignment after you put your deposit down. It could be different for you though since I got accepted about a month before the December due date for deposits. Try calling them and asking! They're always super nice

Yeah you put the money down first then you can rank the CHC. I did this in November.