2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea when we'll hear back from the March 9th interview date?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
II today. In case anyone is wondering, I only saw March 30 and April 20 as available interview dates.

Reactions: 1 users
Some savages in these forums.

I LIKE IT! YES!

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it usually take to hear back after interviewing?

It took me like 18 days 2 weeks and some change, I also interviewed at the end of January

How’s the weather in Arizona during the spring and fall? I have a TON of allergies so spring kills me here in Virginia. Wanted to know if anyone knows about how it is there?
There are very few allergens as far as I have experienced. I've been in Arizona for 13 years.

Reactions: 1 user
The school has 108 seats. They have already given out 108 acceptances to fill every seat.

They are going to continue to interview and accept students pending an open seat, or place them on the alternate list. Accepted pending an open seat is a ranked list.

As the cycle continues, students who have gained an acceptance at SOMA will drop their acceptance to attend a different school. As they drop their acceptance, they contact the #1 ranked person on the accepted pending an open seat list and give them the newly open seat.

This will continue until the class starts. Also, students drop for other reasons, like deferring for a death in the family or financial problems with loans.

Historically, SOMA has always had a seat for every student in the accepted pending an open seat list because students drop for the reasons above. However, there is always a chance nobody from the list gets in. Let’s hope history repeats itself.
I think ATSU interviews too many people, they know they only have 108 seats, it feels like it's a lot of false hope.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone from January interview received additional communication following the initial pending seat acceptance phone call?

Has anyone from January interview received additional communication following the initial pending seat acceptance phone call?

I interviewed the end of January and was accepted pending an open seat and just received this email earlier this week "We are just checking back with everyone on our pending accept list to find out if there have been any changes in your plans. Please let me know if you would like to remain on the list or if you have accepted another offer or made other arrangements. "

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed the end of January and was accepted pending an open seat and just received this email earlier this week "We are just checking back with everyone on our pending accept list to find out if there have been any changes in your plans. Please let me know if you would like to remain on the list or if you have accepted another offer or made other arrangements. "
Any February interviews receive a similar email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how you are placed in clinical rotations starting year 2? Are you able to choose your distance site or do you rank several sites and “match” to one?

Does anyone know how you are placed in clinical rotations starting year 2? Are you able to choose your distance site or do you rank several sites and “match” to one?
You choose your site after you have been accepted

I see. So is pre clinical education completed in 1 year or do they have lectures at all of the sites??

You rank your site and they try and give you your number 1 choice if there are still places available. But there’s a lot of movement so most people end up with a place they like.

Preclinical lectures are still continued through years 1-2. Year one there’s obviously lecture rooms. Year 2 you listen to lectures online but meet with your preceptors (I’m not sure if that’s what they are called) for small group. That’s my understanding of it at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put down a different deposit and withdrew my acceptance at SOMA! Good luck to everyone still hoping for a seat to open up.

Accepted pending open seat via voicemail! I'm not totally sold on the 1+3 curriculum, but nevertheless excited about this half-way acceptance!

Saw some of the 2018 residency matches in the DO threads, very impressive :)

I got screwed with my flights and am gonna miss the welcome night... How upset should I be? Do I miss anything worthwhile?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I got screwed with my flights and am gonna miss the welcome night... How upset should I be? Do I miss anything worthwhile?

It’s not the end of the world. It’s just a chance to tour campus with a student and meet the students and ask them questions. Personally it was nice to meet some people who would be interviewing, I think that definitely helped me relax come the actual day because I knew a few faces

I think students who attend the welcome dinner def have an advantage but study their website and its probably the same.. Ask the student ambassadors your questions tomorrow.

They don’t do a second tour on the actual interview day, so you miss out on that. I missed the Dean’s Welcome thing when I interviewed too and just asked for a campus tour after lunch on interview day. One of the admissions staff was nice enough to me a one on one tour!

For the guy who gave us a demonstration of their virtual 3D anatomy lab, was his name Dr. Jay Crutchfield? And I don't suppose anyone knows who any of our interviewers' names were for the speed dating?

Does any current students have any recommendations on first-year housing. Or has anyone who will be a first year decided on a place? I sort of need a starting spot of where to look into

Can any current students comment on how the OPP labs are? I know they are four days a week, is that all hands on? What kind of material is covered. Will we be swapping with a partner to practice? What is the dress code like?

Thanks

Accepted on the pending list - but I am near the bottom :( Interviewed 30MAR.

They can give you a general idea of where you're at, but no specifics. I asked because I'm currently active duty Navy so I have the added complication of having to resign prior to attending - finding out too late could be disastrous for me.

From what I understand for the past few cycles they have been going through their entire list of accepted pending an open seat..

From what I understand for the past few cycles they have been going through their entire list of accepted pending an open seat..

I remember reading that too, so I'm hoping it all works out! The woman I spoke to at admissions mentioned that applicants in my "position" are usually counseled to take other options if they have it.

Last edited:
Can any current students comment on how the OPP labs are? I know they are four days a week, is that all hands on? What kind of material is covered. Will we be swapping with a partner to practice? What is the dress code like?

Thanks

Additionally, how is this organized at our CHC’s?

Accepted off the pending list yesterday! For those interested, here's my timeline.
Secondary Received: 10/25/17
Interview Invite: 1/17/18
Interviewed: 1/26/18
Accepted Pending an Open Seat: 2/14/18
Accepted: 4/11/18

Reactions: 4 users
Yes! Nervous but excited. Any tips from anyone who has interviewed? Or from current ATSU-SOMA students who have interviewed this late?

I recommend reading through this entire thread, there's some great explanations of what to expect from the day. I also got delayed at the airport and read the entire Pre-med Playbook: The Interview on my tablet. I felt like it definitely got me in the right mindset.

Have fun! You're gonna do great :)

Yes! Nervous but excited. Any tips from anyone who has interviewed? Or from current ATSU-SOMA students who have interviewed this late?
Same! Especially since a portion of the interview will be interacting with a standardized patient, so hopefully it goes well fo us!

In the interview confirmation email it said:
If you have updated grades or extracurricular activities, please remember to bring these as well. You will get an opportunity to present them to our staff during your interview.

Did anyone bring anything new to their interview? Do you just bring an updated CV/resume or simply just discuss it during your interview? For example, I did not have DO shadowing experience before my interview, but now I do.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Does any current students have any recommendations on first-year housing. Or has anyone who will be a first year decided on a place? I sort of need a starting spot of where to look into

I'm a current student, and any of the apartment complexes in the area are nice. The largest chunk of students lived in Colonial Grands, which is where I lived. I liked it there a lot, but you can't really go wrong where ever you go.