2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what their post-interview acceptance rate is?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
wow alright!! I am so excited yet so nervous, my interview got moved up by two months haha so I feel like I won't be prepared. Did they try to trip you up on any questions? feel free to PM me as well

Honestly, no! Everything was pretty straight forward. My one on one was SUPER chill. For interview prep before, I printed off like hundreds of questions and just read through them, isolated the tough ones, and formed some semi-solid answers. I think it has helped more than anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what their post-interview acceptance rate is?

While there, my student ambassador told me last year they had ~5,000 applicants, interviewed ~500, and accepted ~250 for their class of 108. Hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete 8/22 and still have not heard back. Does this school do silent rejections?

Hey sdn i need your help with interviewing travel logisitcs. I'll be flying in for my upcoming interview and its my first interview and not sure if I'm thinking through this. Can anyone give advice or recommend a better alternative?
So I'm thinking of flying to Phoenix airport as theres more flights coming in and out of there as compared to the gateway mesa which I found almost no flights for (coming from west coast). I'm really hoping not to book a hotel and fly in early morning and fly out right after the interview but there's no early morning flights that will get me to the campus at 7:30. So I'm thinking of flying in at 11PM the night before, ubering to the Hampton Inn, uber to interview in the morning. Interview ends at 1:30 and there's one flight at 2:55 that I'm hoping to catch but I don't want to cut it so close, as its about half an hour ride back to the airport. Does the interview go all the way to 1:30 and over, or is their a chance I'll get out earlier and be able to catch the 2:55 flight? Really don't want to hang around for another 6 hours untill the next flight... What are your thoughts and advice?

Hey sdn i need your help with interviewing travel logisitcs. I'll be flying in for my upcoming interview and its my first interview and not sure if I'm thinking through this. Can anyone give advice or recommend a better alternative?
So I'm thinking of flying to Phoenix airport as theres more flights coming in and out of there as compared to the gateway mesa which I found almost no flights for (coming from west coast). I'm really hoping not to book a hotel and fly in early morning and fly out right after the interview but there's no early morning flights that will get me to the campus at 7:30. So I'm thinking of flying in at 11PM the night before, ubering to the Hampton Inn, uber to interview in the morning. Interview ends at 1:30 and there's one flight at 2:55 that I'm hoping to catch but I don't want to cut it so close, as its about half an hour ride back to the airport. Does the interview go all the way to 1:30 and over, or is their a chance I'll get out earlier and be able to catch the 2:55 flight? Really don't want to hang around for another 6 hours untill the next flight... What are your thoughts and advice?

All I read was "I want to fly in and then fly out".

Very bad idea.. fly in the day before, grab hotel, then fly out. You dont want to screw the pooch on your first/only interview.

All I read was "I want to fly in and then fly out".

Very bad idea.. fly in the day before, grab hotel, then fly out. You dont want to screw the pooch on your first/only interview.
haha okay thanks, then i will fly in the day before.

I can't help you on the interview side as I interview Friday (yay!) but I am from Phoenix and what terminal are you flying out of?? Some you could literally get from the drop off site to your gate in 30 minutes and it won't be as much of a risk!

Anyone interviewing with me here tomorrow??

For those interviewing later in the cycle, don't fret. A good amount of current first years were accepted in the spring. There's a lot of movement with students accepting elsewhere amongst other reasons. Good luck! See you tonight/tomorrow

-Current student

Heya, this is probably too late, but I interviewed a few weeks ago. You're right, the Uber back to PHX is about 25-30 minutes. And the interview did end on time for me. I'd recommend to reserve the Uber at a pick up time from the school so you can just hop in and go right after the interview. However, keep in mind that there's no designated place to keep your luggage during the interview. (Unless you ask). I think you'll make it in time for your flight as long as you leave promptly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would really appreciate an II from this school. I was complete on 08/21, anyone else in the same boat? :(

Would really appreciate an II from this school. I was complete on 08/21, anyone else in the same boat? :(
Exactly the same here! I was complete 8/21 and still haven't heard back.

Opened up an email from here thinking it was another rejection, but hey!
II!!!! Completed around the middle of August

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone is dropping their interview here in November/December and January can someone please let me know? Their earliest interview slot is in February.

For those that interviewed on 10/13 - do you remember when they said we could expect to hear back about whether we were accepted or not? Was it 2 weeks 3 weeks or 4 weeks? Thanks, and good luck to all!

For those that interviewed on 10/13 - do you remember when they said we could expect to hear back about whether we were accepted or not? Was it 2 weeks 3 weeks or 4 weeks? Thanks, and good luck to all!

~3

I was also complete on 8/21 and have not heard anything from the school. A little frustrating.

Withdrew my interview for 11/3. Best of luck to you all!

Anyone flying in for 11/3 interview that wants to split the uber ride? What reasonably priced hotels did you guys stay at? Any ways to cut costs? Airfare itself costed me over $300 :X

Anyone flying in for 11/3 interview that wants to split the uber ride? What reasonably priced hotels did you guys stay at? Any ways to cut costs? Airfare itself costed me over $300 :X

I saw that Travelodge was about ~$44/night for that day but I booked Sleep Inn Mesa just cause it’s closer and seems to be surrounded by places since I’m coming a day early. Plus saved money with a cheap-ish (~$55) flight from NorCal that only runs Wed and Fri

For those interviewing later in the cycle, don't fret. A good amount of current first years were accepted in the spring. There's a lot of movement with students accepting elsewhere amongst other reasons. Good luck! See you tonight/tomorrow

-Current student

Good, because I am interviewing on the 26th of January :)

This was probably answered somewhere in this thread, But for those who flew in for this interview. Which airport did you guys use and which hotel?

Thanks everyone

This was probably answered somewhere in this thread, But for those who flew in for this interview. Which airport did you guys use and which hotel?

Thanks everyone
You want to use Sky Harbor, unless you're from one of the cities in Cali that has a flight to Mesa Gateway airport.

You want to use Sky Harbor, unless you're from one of the cities in Cali that has a flight to Mesa Gateway airport.
Ok, ill look into that. I'm from Illinois if anyone out there has suggestions

Just withdrew my interview for 11/3. Hopefully one of you can switch to it! Best of luck.

Interviewed 10/13 got an acceptance today! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else from 10/13 hear back? Really hoping for an acceptance I LOVED this school!
Nope I interviewed that day as well and haven't heard anything! Hopefully they are only just beginning to call people...maybe even by color group?

Same boat! Now im gonna be stressed out knowing some accepts have gone out....
Hahaha thats literally what I thought about my last school. Everyone was getting acceptances on Wednesday and it was Friday so I thought I was just rejected but then I got a call Friday evening so don't give up hope, we got this!

Hahaha thats literally what I thought about my last school. Everyone was getting acceptances on Wednesday and it was Friday so I thought I was just rejected but then I got a call Friday evening so don't give up hope, we got this!

I probably should ahve known better and avoided SDN haha. I also have 1 accept but I liked SOMA a lot more! Fingers crossed

Rejected post-II. This school underperformed on interview day and had too much of an SJW focus. The student body was giddy and immature and the structure of the curriculum was questionable. Upset I wasted time to visit this school.

Last edited:
Rejected post-II. This school sucked and had too much of an SJW focus. The student body was giddy and immature and the structure of the curriculum was trash. Upset I wasted time to visit this school.
Someone's Salty...

Reactions: 8 users
I know you all signed an NDA but is there any tips you can give out regarding the interview and prepping for it? I'm going next week

I know you all signed an NDA but is there any tips you can give out regarding the interview and prepping for it? I'm going next week

MII, patient simulations, 1 on 1, group activities
I read that MMI book that everyone recommends and it was minorly helpful for the patient encounters

Here is my post about the interview from a few weeks ago.

I have to say it was the most amazing interview experience and I’ve been on five interviews so far. Small group activity. MMI. “Speed dating” which is 3 minutes per station with 8 stations. Then, a one on one! They truly knew who I was by the end, and if I’d be a good fit there. I wish every school did this interview process. I’d say go to the Dean’s welcome the night before, it helps break the ice and relax you for interview day. For interview day, I think the best advice is to know yourself and then just be yourself. The interview process was very long, 2 1/2 hours I think. So keep up your stamina! Good luck!

http://www.colorado.edu/advising/sites/default/files/attached-files/Med_100 intquest.pdf

Those questions are from the University of Colorado. Definitely not the same, but they are challenging and thought-provoking. I used those for interview prep and they have pretty much been all I needed. There are crazy ones on that list like if you were a cookie, what type would you be? Have not ran into a question even similar but it was useful to think about how to respond on the fly like that.

I am totally oatmeal chocolate chip, btw. ;)

I just got my interview moved up to Nov. 3rd from January! So glad that all the most recent comments I read show overall really positive things. I'm excited but a little panicked because I wasn't expecting it to be so soon! If you're interviewing on 11/3 lmk!

I just got my interview moved up to Nov. 3rd from January! So glad that all the most recent comments I read show overall really positive things. I'm excited but a little panicked because I wasn't expecting it to be so soon! If you're interviewing on 11/3 lmk!
I moved my interview from February to next week! it was a wild 3-4 hours of calling a whole bunch of places and looking for flights, hotels and shuttles. I guess it was a good problem to have but what a ride haha