2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, Bacchus, or chizledfromstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my app on June 1st. Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Slight, yes. At least half the class is from AL, GA, FL tri-state region. Maybe about 1/5 are from Cali.

How LGBT friendly is this school? I am considering applying but I'd hate to be in an environment that I feel unsafe in. I will be actively transitioning while in medical school

How LGBT friendly is this school? I am considering applying but I'd hate to be in an environment that I feel unsafe in. I will be actively transitioning while in medical school

I feel like ACOM's campus and community is relatively LGBT friendly. Most of my classmates have been friendly in general and I know several students who are LGBT. ACOM has a club/organization called MEDTalks that hosts student-driven topics about healthcare and they had a talk about sexual identity. If you ever feel threatened in anyway, you can always speak with the dean of students. They emphasize that bullying and unprofessional behaviors will not be tolerated at ACOM and they are serious about that matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any preference if you don't live in AL but didn't your undergrad there

Also does anybody know what the average stats are for this school/ what the screening criteria is?

Attachments

• image1 copy.jpeg
    image1 copy.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 415
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 334
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 333
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 331
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Sorry for the double post... But I decided to be a civilized human being and scan the documents for clarity (sorry if any of this information is on their website).

Edit: I know it is hard to read their clinical sites, but they are as listed: Florence, Sheffield, Huntsville, Decatur, Guntersville, Gadsden, Birmingham (2), Anniston, Sylacuaga, Centreville, Montgomery, Troy, Dothan, Brewton, Foley, Mobile (4), Foley, Panama City, FL, and Tallahassee, FL... "ACOM's core clerkships sites are located throughout the stage of Alabama and region, giving students experiences with underserved populations in both rural and urban areas."

Attachments

• ACOM Documents (1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 267
  • ACOM Documents (2).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard when they will be sending out secondarys? I thought ACOM was traditionally one of the schools that sent everything out first

Last edited:
did anyone receive confirmation once they submitted their secondaries?

Last edited:
Lol sheesh some of you guys have secondaries already! I plan on submitting my primary by July 9 at the latest. Am I running late? Or are you guys just extremely early? lol

Lol sheesh some of you guys have secondaries already! I plan on submitting my primary by July 9 at the latest. Am I running late? Or are you guys just extremely early? lol
They're early

I just submitted my secondary as well

Secondary received!
I am concerned about the LOR requirement of having the professors' academic credentials in the signature line? Chasing down my letters was a task in and of itself and I'm not sure if I can wrangle my writers to set up changes in a timely fashion.
I'll see they'll take a supervisor and a physician letter if you're a nontrad so I'm going to email and see if they'll accept those instead.
Heads up to other applicants with busy LOR writers~

Secondary received!
I am concerned about the LOR requirement of having the professors' academic credentials in the signature line? Chasing down my letters was a task in and of itself and I'm not sure if I can wrangle my writers to set up changes in a timely fashion.
I'll see they'll take a supervisor and a physician letter if you're a nontrad so I'm going to email and see if they'll accept those instead.
Yea, let us know if you get a reply

Secondary received!
Do we have to email the LORs to the ACOM directly or the authors who wrote the letters? Seems like the ACOM is putting a heavy emphasis on LORs.

Secondary received!

Does ACOM require a physician letter? I have four letters, none of which are from physicians. I looked on the website to check this question, but wasn't able to find my answer, so hopefully I didn't miss the answer somewhere...

Does ACOM require a physician letter? I have four letters, none of which are from physicians. I looked on the website to check this question, but wasn't able to find my answer, so hopefully I didn't miss the answer somewhere...

Unless something has changed since last cycle, they do require one.

They do require a physician LOR, DO preferred.

The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) has received your supplemental application and fee, essays, and letters of recommendation. Your application package is now complete and is in review by the Admissions Committee who will select qualified students for campus interviews. ACOM will notify you within three weeks if selected for an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) has received your supplemental application and fee, essays, and letters of recommendation. Your application package is now complete and is in review by the Admissions Committee who will select qualified students for campus interviews. ACOM will notify you within three weeks if selected for an interview.
Wow. This is early. I received II on July 2nd last year, so stay watch.

Wow. This is early. I received II on July 2nd last year, so stay watch.

How have you done at ACOM in your first year? Could you shed some light on its pros and cons from your very personal point of view?

How have you done at ACOM in your first year? Could you shed some light on its pros and cons from your very personal point of view?

If you have any specific questions, you can also PM me.

Still waiting for an email saying my app is ready for review

Last edited:
For the secondary, did you guys write the prompt on top of each page? Since we have prompt A and B, and it says each should be 1 page max.

For the secondary prompts, did you guys do one page single spaced or double spaced for each?