2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder why their interview dates are so late in the cycle? Do they interview that many people or do they only have few dates each month? Does anyone know their class size?

How early are typical interviews? September to December?

Members don't see this ad.

How early are typical interviews? September to December?
I believe they started interviewing in August and they told us last week they are going to interview into March/April of 2018. I would consider Sept. to Dec. early.

Submitted Secondary mid August - got II today (3 week notice isn't set in stone). Earliest available date was Jan 12...
SAME! I was hoping for an earlier date, but I'm honestly just thankful for the interview. Hopefully someone will drop their spot and maybe we can pick up earlier dates!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SAME! I was hoping for an earlier date, but I'm honestly just thankful for the interview. Hopefully someone will drop their spot and maybe we can pick up earlier dates!

People drop/change interview dates all the time. Just check daily if someone declined or moved their date. When I was applying a few years ago, I was able to move my interview date up by a month. I know last year ACOM was interviewing up until almost the end of May. So it depends on the candidates and number of acceptances who paid their matriculation deposits.

I got my interview moved 2 months earlier because someone dropped out. Check the portal occasionally to see if anyone dropped. Congrats to all of you with interview invites!

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone flying to Pensacola, FL and then driving? Flights to Dothan are so expensive.

Anyone else interviewing on November 10?

What is the closest hotel

Comfort Inn & Suites
2227 East Main Street | Dothan, AL 36303
334-792-7788
1 mile away from ACOM

If you stay at Comfort Inn & Suites, one of the administrators comes by in the morning of interview with the ACOM van to pick up interviewees staying there. There may be an ACOM discount with the hotel if you ask.

There's also a few ACOM students who have airbnbs who rent out rooms to interviewees as well for reasonable prices.

II today! Earliest open interview date is January 26th. Complete 9/14

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! Earliest I could get was January 26th. Super excited!

Were you also complete on the 14th? I was complete the same day and still it's nothing but silence here.
Yes, I believe I was complete that day, or a few days prior. Keep faith! You'll hear back soon. I only just now started hearing back from schools.

I am declining my invitation for an II on November 10th. Hopefully, it goes to one of you guys! Good Luck! Also, I don't know how to fully decline or if there is a separate process besides unclicking my interview date:whoa:

I am declining my invitation for an II on November 10th. Hopefully, it goes to one of you guys! Good Luck! Also, I don't know how to fully decline or if there is a separate process besides unclicking my interview date:whoa:

I would email them. I think in the II email there was a procedure to officially decline.

I ended up getting it- thank you so much!!!! ps: my original jan 26 interview slot is free now

I got an email stating they have my secondary and will hear back in regards to an interview invite within 3 weeks. Does anyone know if they really take the full 3 weeks or have you heard back sooner?

I never got a completed email that says they'll let us know in 3 weeks if we're chosen for an interview. Did everybody's e-mail mention that?

I never got a completed email that says they'll let us know in 3 weeks if we're chosen for an interview. Did everybody's e-mail mention that?
They sent me an email saying that my supplemental application was received and they'll email me if I get a II. But they never mentioned 3 weeks.

You aren’t considered “complete” till you get that email. I called them and they basically had everything but they said I would be complete only when the next round of emails go out. They go out Thursday mornings I believe. Call and check if you are missing something.

My problem initially was that my DO letter was not signed, even though it was on an official letterhead. So till I had that resubmitted they wouldn’t count me as complete even though they technically had my letter. So just call and see what the hold up is because ACOM is super nit picky.

Mine specifically stated, " ACOM will notify you within three weeks if selected for an interview." Wonder if this is a good or bad thing since nobody else seems to have gotten it.

Mine specifically stated, " ACOM will notify you within three weeks if selected for an interview." Wonder if this is a good or bad thing since nobody else seems to have gotten it.
Same mine specifically said that too! These are the exact words I had on my email:

The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) has received your supplemental application and fee, essays, and letters of recommendation. Your application package is now complete and is in review by the Admissions Committee who will select qualified students for campus interviews. ACOM will notify you within three weeks if selected for an interview.

Thank you for your continued interest in joining the ACOM community. We look forward to reviewing your application!

Sincerely,

Linda Goodson

Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
Director of Admissions and Enrollment

Same mine specifically said that too! These are the exact words I had on my email:

The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) has received your supplemental application and fee, essays, and letters of recommendation. Your application package is now complete and is in review by the Admissions Committee who will select qualified students for campus interviews. ACOM will notify you within three weeks if selected for an interview.

Thank you for your continued interest in joining the ACOM community. We look forward to reviewing your application!

Sincerely,

Linda Goodson

Same here! I just got it today though. I was just wondering if they are strict with those 3 weeks or if it might be shorter. I am so anxious with all of this waiting!

Same here! I just got it today though. I was just wondering if they are strict with those 3 weeks or if it might be shorter. I am so anxious with all of this waiting!
It’s shorter. I got a reply within a week.

Complete email on 9/21... Notification on interview status 9/25

Just got acceptance here! Interviewed last Friday on 9/22.

Just got acceptance here! Interviewed last Friday on 9/22.
Congrats!!!!

they just called me but I missed their call and there's no voicemail!!!!! :arghh:

Edit: he called back and left a message lol. ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed 9/22

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Sincerely,

Linda Goodson

This is not what I got, and i am not sure what my file is missing!!!!

This is what I got:

"
Your Supplemental application has been received. Thank you for your continued interest and quick response. You will be notified in subsequent email reminders if your application is missing any requirements. All completed files are submitted to the Admissions Committee for review weekly.

You can find a listing of the required documents, and overview of the interview process, under the Admissions tab on the ACOM website (www.acom.edu).

Sincerely,

Linda Goodson"

This is what I got:

"
Your Supplemental application has been received. Thank you for your continued interest and quick response. You will be notified in subsequent email reminders if your application is missing any requirements. All completed files are submitted to the Admissions Committee for review weekly.

You can find a listing of the required documents, and overview of the interview process, under the Admissions tab on the ACOM website (www.acom.edu).

Sincerely,

Linda Goodson"

I got the same e-mail. I'm wondering why some applicants have 3 weeks mention in it and others don't.

I got the same e-mail. I'm wondering why some applicants have 3 weeks mention in it and others don't.
Just realized I sent in a lab professor's letter...

"We only accept letters from instructors of biology, chemistry or physics. Letters from social science (e.g. psychology, sociology, etc.) or math professors will not count toward this requirement. Also, letters from laboratory and research instructors will not meet the requirement."

So off to ask another science professor for a LOR (oops):smack:

This is what I got:

"

Sincerely,

Linda Goodson"

I got this email before I got the complete email. So this means they haven’t marked you complete just yet. Either they just haven’t gotten to it or you might still be missing something. If you are missing something, you’ll get an email with what you are missing so you will know.

Below is the order of emails to avoid confusions:

Submit secondary —> secondary received email sent out—> admissions check to see if all the required documents are in —> complete/still missing email will be sent out —> Admisisons committee review the whole application —> find out if u get interview or not within 3 weeks

Last edited:
I got this email before I got the complete email. So this means they haven’t marked you complete just yet. Either they just haven’t gotten to it or u might still be missing something. If u r missing something, you’ll get an email with what you are missing so you will know.

Submit secondary —> secondary received email sent out—> admissions check to see if all the required documents are in —> complete/still missing email will be sent out —> Admisisons committee review the whole application —> find out if u get interview or not within 3 weeks
Hmmmmm thank you for clarifying that. I received this email on September 15 so it's been 2 weeks. I don't know if I should get in touch with admissions office or just play the waiting game.

Hmmmmm thank you for clarifying that. I received this email on September 15 so it's been 2 weeks. I don't know if I should get in touch with admissions office or just play the waiting game.

I would definitely call and check. What have you got to lose? Lol they are pretty nice about answering your questions. Plus you will know right away if you are still missing something. In the event they are not telling you anything, atleast you tried calling. Lol.

Does anybody know ACOM's last interview month? If applicants are interviewing in the spring would it be for a waitlist position?

Can some of those accepted share their stats (if you don't mind). Trying to gauge the average stats of the students they accept vs. interview :)

Can some of those accepted share their stats (if you don't mind). Trying to gauge the average stats of the students they accept vs. interview :)

Accepted with a undergraduate cGPA 3.47, sGPA 3.47; SMP GPA 3.41; MCAT 30 (last year they accept old test I believe) which is about 507; Really good letters of rec (they take these seriously) and a lot of ECs: research, teaching, a lot of clinical experience as a volunteer, scribe, and medical assistant and I have good leadership experience which came up during the interview. They also value being well rounded and having hobbies, weightlifting came up during my interview also.

I got this email before I got the complete email. So this means they haven’t marked you complete just yet. Either they just haven’t gotten to it or you might still be missing something. If you are missing something, you’ll get an email with what you are missing so you will know.

I received only this email:
"Your Supplemental application has been received. Thank you for your continued interest and quick response. You will be notified in subsequent email reminders if your application is missing any requirements. All completed files are submitted to the Admissions Committee for review weekly."

And then I was invited for an interview a week later.

Accepted Tx Resident
3.0 undergrads with retake/2.94s
3.4 Masters (non-SMP)
3.22 Post Bac/3.2s
3.06s in Masters (SMP)
498 MCAT
Research experience this year
Work experience in teaching, underserved, case manager, scribing
Female
Single mom
Like long walks on the beach

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted Tx Resident
3.0 undergrads with retake/2.94s
3.4 Masters (non-SMP)
3.22 Post Bac/3.2s
3.06s in Masters (SMP)
498 MCAT
Research experience this year
Work experience in teaching, underserved, case manager, scribing
Female
Single mom
Like long walks on the beach

...I’m reaponse to stats of those Accepted

Interview 9/1 will likely be attending ACOM

I just received my interview invitation, but the earliest date is January 26th. Is this going to be for the waitlist?

Can some of those accepted share their stats (if you don't mind). Trying to gauge the average stats of the students they accept vs. interview
3.9 GPA
500 MCAT
Former medical student (foreign country)

Will most likely be declining my acceptance here. However, I really loved the interview day here, and will have to think about it for a couple more weeks before I make the official decision.