2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the opinions on a letter of intent for those who have been waitlisted?

I'm definitely sending one, just curious if I should be doing it ASAP or around December 14 when deposits come due and my fall grades will be in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the attrition rate for ACOM? I heard it was somewhere like 19%.

I just received my interview invitation, but the earliest date is January 26th. Is this going to be for the waitlist?

I REALLY HOPE not. I don't want to start panicking again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone has interviewed here, could you please tell us your experience? Was the interview difficult here? Was it conversational? All I know is that it is a two on one interview.

I need to start preparing for this beast

Anyone has interviewed here, could you please tell us your experience? Was the interview difficult here? Was it conversational? All I know is that it is a two on one interview.

I need to start preparing for this beast
My interview was super laid back. It was very conversational. We pretty much just discussed my application and things about me, and I can only remember like 1 ethical question.

I just received my interview invitation, but the earliest date is January 26th. Is this going to be for the waitlist?

No, they usually don't interview for a waitlist unless it's late May, but even then they have a few spots open.

Is this true?

Maybe for the first graduating class, 2017. However, every year about 10% of the class don't make it passed their first semester and have the option to either repeat the first semester the following year or drop out. There were also some who had medical leave, realized medical school was not for them, or left due to unprofessional behaviors.

I am super excited to be interviewing here. Definitely one of my top choices.

I'm interviewing on January 26th. After the bad experience at my last interview, I'm looking forward to all the good things I'm hearing about this school.

Oh no! Were you nervous? This will be my first interview, and I am SO NERVOUS. (Interviewing on the 19th of January)

Oh no! Were you nervous? This will be my first interview, and I am SO NERVOUS. (Interviewing on the 19th of January)
Yeah, I was definitely nervous, but that wasn't the issue. Check the Touro-NY thread and you'll see what I mean lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was definitely nervous, but that wasn't the issue. Check the Touro-NY thread and you'll see what I mean lol.

Okay that does NOT sound good from what I read. I hope ACOM is a good school, and is more welcoming!

Snagged an open interview slot for October 13! Anyone else interviewing that day?

Maybe for the first graduating class, 2017. However, every year about 10% of the class don't make it passed their first semester and have the option to either repeat the first semester the following year or drop out. There were also some who had medical leave, realized medical school was not for them, or left due to unprofessional behaviors.
is this a rather larger percentage than other schools?

is this a rather larger percentage than other schools?

If it's near 20%, yes, but I can't speak for other schools since I don't know their attrition rate. We'll see how many graduates we'll have for the class of 2018 in June.

To account for the attrition rate that all medical schools experience ACOM admits 156 student, it states its class size is 150 but they admit an extra 6. All schools have attrition this is due predominantly on the students ability to balance intense course work. Not everyone can do it.

However if your lucky to get an interview and acceptance, ACOM is definitely a good choice. I’ve been interviewing and I’m leaning more and more to ACOM.

For the last several years, ACOM has admitted 162 new students each year, not including students who will be repeating. COCA allows an 8% increase of ACOM's stated class size of 150. Some students do have difficulty balancing or transitioning into the medical school curriculum, so ACOM gives them a chance to succeed if they do not the first time around.

Class of 2017er here. I was part of the first class so we had our fair share of hiccups, the vast majority of which have been resolved. Without a doubt our core sites will give you significantly more hands-on experience and procedures than many of the other MD/DO schools. If you if study for classes, adequately prepare for boards, and don't compromise on your professionalism you will not have any issues whatsoever. ACOM is very good at looking beyond the stats. If you are being interviewed at all you are objectively good enough to be in the class and they just want to see you in person / feel you out.

Good luck to everyone and don't try not to be too nervous!

Reactions: 6 users
Can some of those accepted share their stats (if you don't mind). Trying to gauge the average stats of the students they accept vs. interview :)

cGPA: >3.7
sGPA: >3.5
MCAT: 503
Trad Student/FL
Very Strong ECs/Research/Letters/Etc

Got the call today! Interviewed 9/29! never thought i'd make it, pm me if you want more info.

Looking forward to meeting you guys next July!
undergrad GPA: 2.8
SMP GPA: 3.9 at LMU-DCOM
MCAT: 510
AL resident
non-traditional (31 y/o)
2 publications/strong research/strong letters/volunteering, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey accepted homies, PM me if you wanna be added to the accepted student fbook page :woot:

Reactions: 2 users
Sent my primary yesterday for this school. Let's see how that goes :laugh:

Class of 2020 student here:
Yes, we lost about 10% of our class after the first semester; however, the majority of those students are now members of the class of 2021 and are succeeding in their studies! Medical school is very demanding and there are a few who struggle in their first semester with developing study habits and things like that. Thankfully, ACOM is fairly forgiving and gives students a second chance. I wouldn't focus on the attrition rate. I would focus on finding a medical school where you believe that you will succeed. I am biased, but I think ACOM gives all of its students a chance (and a second chance) to succeed.

Reactions: 7 users
Just interviewed yesterday, feel free to PM me with questions.

Yeah I didn't like how late the bus picks us up from the Comfort Inn, so I am just going to drive to the school and be there by 8

I'd call the school and verify the shuttle bus time. It is actually an ACOM staff person that comes to the hotel to pick everyone up! They will get you there on time.

Anyone interview this Friday OCt 13 want to share a ride from Columbus, Ga to Dothan, AL? I will fly there but i don't know how to drive...

Interviewed 9/29, got accepted by phone call on the 3rd!

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 9/29, got accepted by phone call on the 3rd!

It’s crazy how fast they make decisions! Looking forward for my interview on the 20th.

Congrats on your acceptance, do you plan on attending?

if anybody who already interviewed or is already student and doesnt mind answeringa few questions could message me that would be much appreciated

See you guys on the 20th!!!

Hey everyone! I have an interview coming up here and was wondering what the format of the interview was. What type of questions were asked and was the interview more conversational or strict? Thanks and good luck to everyone during this cycle!

Hey everyone! I have an interview coming up here and was wondering what the format of the interview was. What type of questions were asked and was the interview more conversational or strict? Thanks and good luck to everyone during this cycle!

Two on one ~30 min interview. Open file. They can ask any question about any part of your application. Interview is relaxed and conversational.

Two on one ~30 min interview. Open file. They can ask any question about any part of your application. Interview is relaxed and conversational.
2-on-1? Oh dear....:unsure:

Withdrew my seat just now. A tough decision because I LOVED my time visiting ACOM. Hoping it goes to one of you! Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II!
Completed: 09/21/17

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my interview for this Friday! Maybe it's not too late if someone wants to scoop it up. Good luck everyone!