2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got this email a day after I was complete:

"Thank you for your application to the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM). We have completed a full review of the documents you have provided. The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview at a later date."

Is this basically a rejection, or are people who are not selected for an interview within the initial three week period ever actually selected to interview later?

Members don't see this ad.

"Thank you for your application to the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM). We have completed a full review of the documents you have provided. The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview at a later date."

Is this basically a rejection, or are people who are not selected for an interview within the initial three week period ever actually selected to interview later?
Sounds like a "hold" or a 'decision deferred' email to me.

Did anyone bring their suitcase to the interview? I think I may have to since my flight will be leaving a few hours after it ends!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone bring their suitcase to the interview? I think I may have to since my flight will be leaving a few hours after it ends!
I do, I leave for Columbus GA after the interview too. See ya.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a "hold" or a 'decision deferred' email to me.

That's what it looks like. I'm trying to figure out what it means for this particular school though. Do they reject people outright? Have other people who got this email ended up being interviewed later?

That's what it looks like. I'm trying to figure out what it means for this particular school though. Do they reject people outright? Have other people who got this email ended up being interviewed later?

I'm going to preface this by saying ACOM is a great school, and will give you a great education regardless.

However, ACOM is a newer school, and thus not as highly ranked compared to other medical schools. Meaning that ACOM is a "backup" for many people who will drop there spot to attend a better school (for whatever reason). This means that ACOM, and other lower tier schools, tend to put a decent amount of people on a waitlist/hold to interview you later if people decide to go somewhere else.

Essentially ACOM is going out with this really hot chick trying to score, but if she decides to dump him for a better man, you'll always be there

Reactions: 8 users

They usually send a straight out rejection letter after winter if you do not meet their interview criteria. During my first application cycle, I received a hold email from them in October and then a rejection email in January.

I also got this email the day after I was complete. I was wondering the same thing as you in terms of actually being offered an interview later in the cycle.

I also got this email the day after I was complete. I was wondering the same thing as you in terms of actually being offered an interview later in the cycle.

Kind of makes you wonder how extensive their "review" is, doesn't it? I think it's basically a look at metrics and see if we want to proceed, rather than a true front to back reading of the application and essays.

Kind of makes you wonder how extensive their "review" is, doesn't it? I think it's basically a look at metrics and see if we want to proceed, rather than a true front to back reading of the application and essays.

Haha yeah, my thoughts exactly. I wonder what their interview criteria is exactly in terms of a holistic review or stat cut-offs.

Haha yeah, my thoughts exactly. I wonder what their interview criteria is exactly in terms of a holistic review or stat cut-offs.

Oh, who are we kidding. You and I both know an adcom never laid eyes on our applications. More like the secretary screened it using the parameters that she was told to use and then sent the generic form letter she was instructed to send.

Oh, who are we kidding. You and I both know an adcom never laid eyes on our applications. More like the secretary screened it using the parameters that she was told to use and then sent the generic form letter she was instructed to send.

LOL yes you're probably right! hahah makes you wonder what other schools use this method as well. Maybe a parameter is geographic thing, I am from Texas, so who knows.

LOL yes you're probably right! hahah makes you wonder what other schools use this method as well. Maybe a parameter is geographic thing, I am from Texas, so who knows.

I don't think geographical location is a parameter. I had the privilege of interviewing with some awesome people who were from out of state. We had some people from California, Texas, New York, etc. Are your stats on par with what they're looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think geographical location is a parameter. I had the privilege of interviewing with some awesome people who were from out of state. We had some people from California, Texas, New York, etc. Are your stats on par with what they're looking for?

Yep! cGPA: 3.6, sGPA: 3.45, SMP GPA: 3.5, MCAT: 503. Yeah, maybe it's not a factor! Oh well!

There were at least 3 people from Texas there when I interviewed.

Yep! cGPA: 3.6, sGPA: 3.45, SMP GPA: 3.5, MCAT: 503. Yeah, maybe it's not a factor! Oh well!

There are several people on this thread that have stats similar to yours and they were accepted.

to be honest i think for the newer schools they look to see if you are a good fit for the school on top of the stats so if you have regular stats but they believe you are only interviewing there becasue u want an acceptance anywhere rather than actually being interested in the school they are going to pass on giving you an II. I think this school is just like that becasue people with lower stats have gotten II but had family in the area, went to school there and actually see themselves living and practicing in alabama not just going to get the degree and then leaving

to be honest i think for the newer schools they look to see if you are a good fit for the school on top of the stats so if you have regular stats but they believe you are only interviewing there becasue u want an acceptance anywhere rather than actually being interested in the school they are going to pass on giving you an II. I think this school is just like that becasue people with lower stats have gotten II but had family in the area, went to school there and actually see themselves living and practicing in alabama not just going to get the degree and then leaving

Yeah I think this makes the most sense, logically and what I was thinking as well. They really want to see if you fit their mission.

Yeah I think this makes the most sense, logically and what I was thinking as well. They really want to see if you fit their mission.

This. If they only looked at stats, I would not have gotten an interview or acceptance.

I got this email too. But my new MCAT score hadn’t uploaded into ACOMAS when they made that decision. I ended up emailing them a week later with my new MCAT score, which was only 3 points higher, and they extended me an interview. That’s just my experience with the “hold” email.

I got this email too. But my new MCAT score hadn’t uploaded into ACOMAS when they made that decision. I ended up emailing them a week later with my new MCAT score, which was only 3 points higher, and they extended me an interview. That’s just my experience with the “hold” email.
I updated them as well. Do you mind sharing your stats. My test score improved by a few points and I updated them on my gap year. Just wondering how this process is going for others lol.

I got this email too. But my new MCAT score hadn’t uploaded into ACOMAS when they made that decision. I ended up emailing them a week later with my new MCAT score and they extended me an interview. That’s just my experience with the “hold” email.
I updated them as well. Do you mind sharing your stats. My test score improved by a few points and I updated them on my gap year. Just wondering how this process is going for others lol.

3.1s, 3.39c, 3.8(nonscience masters), 502

My GPA is lower for them (or any school), but I have a huge upward trend (no grad school). I think they just looked at the bottom line GPA during this initial pass and didn't look at anything else (i.e., year by year, junior and senior vs. sophmore, etc.).

My GPA is lower for them (or any school), but I have a huge upward trend (no grad school). I think they just looked at the bottom line GPA during this initial pass and didn't look at anything else (i.e., year by year, junior and senior vs. sophmore, etc.).
Yes, I got the hold email too. I have both low GPA and low MCAT. Like you mentioned, I think they only look at GPA and MCAT Scores and if you don't meet their threshold they don't look at anything else.

Just interviewed today and I loved this school. They really have some impressive aspects to their program and seem very involved with the students and their success.

Just interviewed today and I loved this school. They really have some impressive aspects to their program and seem very involved with the students and their success.
Roll tide fam

Withdrawing my application here! I hope my interview spot goes to one of you all!

also anybody know what the reasons for being waitlisted after an interview are

Last edited:
Most wait-listed people get accepted at the end of the season so I'll keep your hope ups.
i haven't been waitlisted I was just curious as to why they waitlist some other higher stats and accept others with lower stats

i haven't been waitlisted I was just curious as to why they waitlist some other higher stats and accept others with lower stats

They ascertain why you want to be physician, why you want to be at ACOM, and how likely you will matriculate during the interview. If you can show that you fit into the school's mission, show that you are well-articulated (logical/well-thought out responses), and can handle the stress and vigor of school, the interviewers will give a recommendation on whether to accept/waitlist/reject. Then the admission committee will take that subjective evaluation into consideration as well as your stats/essays/extracurriculars and make a decision. They will rarely reject someone after an interview, its mostly accept/waitlist.

So its not all numbers, the interview (subjective evaluation) is important as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing Nov 10! All interview advice welcomed!

Just relax, that's the biggest. They really do a great job of making you feel welcome. The interview is two-on-one, open file. But they didn't ask me anything terribly difficult. Just questions directly from my application. The two interviewers I had made it feel really laid back. Just go in and be yourself. That's what they want.

Just relax, that's the biggest. They really do a great job of making you feel welcome. The interview is two-on-one, open file. But they didn't ask me anything terribly difficult. Just questions directly from my application. The two interviewers I had made it feel really laid back. Just go in and be yourself. That's what they want.
Interview was actually enjoyable. I made this mistake of not looking at previous years threads about questions so I would def do that!

If your suitcase isn't aggressively large or anything like that, I think you totally should just bring it. When you interview they sit you and your interview group into a big room and that's where the interview day starts (you hear presentations from the dean and a few other peeps) - and then you're allowed to leave stuff in that room while you're interviewing and touring. You finish the day in that same room.

Wear pants. I don't have the exact statistics, but I think around 100% of accepted applicants were not nekked. (You said all advice welcomed, and i saw an opening :shrug:)

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed on Friday, Oct. 13. ACCEPTED!!! Got the call about 30 minutes ago. WAHOOOO!

Reactions: 3 users
MCAT 499
GPA 3.84
Science GPA 3.76

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!! Just got the call earlier this afternoon. I interviewed Oct. 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Got the call yesterday! Interviewed Friday! Such a quick turn around :)

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats you guys! I'm interviewing here next Friday and I'm so excited!!