2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not that I'm keeping track of response time after interviews or anything, but mean and median for decision time after interview is 6 days. n=10.
So tomorrow? Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going to say tomorrow by 3 pm. Wishful thinking ;)

If ACOM doesn't call this week, they're probably busy with the clerkship fair for the OMS-II students this Friday.

Have any current students when they got accepted dropped out of their masters program? I’m at an SMP right now and am thinking about leaving after this semester (after asking ACOM). I don’t know if it’ll affect me negatively in the future (maybe residencies won’t like someone who dropped out?). My reasoning is that I want take some time off before med school and also this SMP is really expensive
I would maybe ask ACOM about this, but honestly after your class rank and board scores- I doubt they really care too much, especially if it a financial decision. Medical school isn't cheap after all, so I don't think spending money that you don't need to spend is going to benefit you

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have already interviewed, how accurate is the SDN page on the school (the one where people who have interviewed post questions they were asked, what they liked and didn't like, how stressful the interview was, etc.)? Would that be a good way to prep/study for the interview? I'm crazy nervous about this interview because it's probably one of my top 3 choices right now, if not the top choice, so I want to prep as much as I can! Also, if anybody has advice or suggestions they'd be willing to message me, I'd literally say their username when my family does the "everyone say what you're thankful for" thing at Thanksgiving.

For those accepted, what time of day did you receive the phone call?

For those who have already interviewed, how accurate is the SDN page on the school (the one where people who have interviewed post questions they were asked, what they liked and didn't like, how stressful the interview was, etc.)? Would that be a good way to prep/study for the interview? I'm crazy nervous about this interview because it's probably one of my top 3 choices right now, if not the top choice, so I want to prep as much as I can! Also, if anybody has advice or suggestions they'd be willing to message me, I'd literally say their username when my family does the "everyone say what you're thankful for" thing at Thanksgiving.

Read through this thread and you will find all the information you need. Be yourself, and try to relax! I have been to a few interviews so far, and no other place made me feel so welcome and so comfortable as ACOM did. Be prepared to explain why you want to be an osteopathic physician, and why specifically ACOM interest you. Know your application, and show them why you will be a great student and an awesome peer to other students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know post-interview waitlist rate?

Know your application. ACOM's interview is on the more relaxed side. Be interested, polite, friendly, and professional.

looks like we're above average
Edit: I think I read this in reverse. Like when someone says, "turn the AC down"... do they want it warmer or colder?
Above average: Heard before everyone else
Also above average: Took more days than the mean to hear back
:help:
This. Is. Torture.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anxiously waiting.... I keep replaying my interview over in my mind and slowly becoming more doubtful :// pls call soon Bob

Reactions: 5 users
Just received an interview invite here but the earliest date was February 23. Safe to assume that is for a waitlist spot? Have heard great things and would really like to see ACOM for myself but I already have another acceptance with a deposit due before the end of the year. Is it worth going to the interview still?

Just received an interview invite here but the earliest date was February 23. Safe to assume that is for a waitlist spot? Have heard great things and would really like to see ACOM for myself but I already have another acceptance with a deposit due before the end of the year. Is it worth going to the interview still?
Honestly I think it depends where your acceptance is and whether you are willing to shell out the travel expenses to get to the interview. If you are that interested in ACOM and would choose it over your current acceptance, then I say go for it. But if you wouldn't go there anyway, don't spend money needlessly.

No, it's not for a waitlist spot. Only go if you don't like your current acceptance.

Friendly reminder to those accepted that the $2k deposit will be due by Dec 14. There's a 3.7% fee on the deposit if you choose to use a credit card so this would be the time to consider whether you can support a cash advance instead.

Friendly reminder to those accepted that the $2k deposit will be due by Dec 14. There's a 3.7% fee on the deposit if you choose to use a credit card so this would be the time to consider whether you can support a cash advance instead.
Is it December 14th regardless of the date when you get accepted?

Is it December 14th regardless of the date when you get accepted?

Double check your acceptance email but "According to AACOMAS guidelines applicants accepted prior to November 15 have until December 14, 2017 to make their deposit."

Where does everyone live that already goes to school there??? Are Summerfield apartments worth it? Are there any places to stay away from?

Where does everyone live that already goes to school there??? Are Summerfield apartments worth it? Are there any places to stay away from?

A good amount of the class lives at Summerfield. It's good in terms of you being lazy to drive around town or if you don't want to spend time to find another apartment. Its rent includes water, electricity, and internet services. Only downside is that majority of the rooms are hardwood so terrible soundproofing. If you are a light sleeper, best to get the third floor. Sometimes you may hear your neighbor's music or TV too.

Some of the other students really like Magnolia apartment. Some live at Fieldcrest and Sweetwater apartment complexes. There's a few who rent homes. It's all your personal choice.

A good amount of the class lives at Summerfield. It's good in terms of you being lazy to drive around town or if you don't want to spend time to find another apartment. Its rent includes water, electricity, and internet services. Only downside is that majority of the rooms are hardwood so terrible soundproofing. If you are a light sleeper, best to get the third floor. Sometimes you may hear your neighbor's music or TV too.

Some of the other students really like Magnolia apartment. Some live at Fieldcrest and Sweetwater apartment complexes. There's a few who rent homes. It's all your personal choice.

Campus apartments are a little pricier than off campus. Would you say that the convenience is worth it?

Campus apartments are a little pricier than off campus. Would you say that the convenience is worth it?

Yup! If you're the type who prefers to be near campus and don't feel like driving back and forth. I think Summerfield is similar in price to Magnolia, but Fieldcrest and renting a home are cheaper than Summerfield. If you cannot live near campus and need to decompress away from campus, then there are other places.

Yup! If you're the type who prefers to be near campus and don't feel like driving back and forth. I think Summerfield is similar in price to Magnolia, but Fieldcrest and renting a home are cheaper than Summerfield. If you cannot live near campus and need to decompress away from campus, then there are other places.
Any idea how much staying at Summerfield costs?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Any idea how much staying at Summerfield costs?

Called today. They said they are still finalizing rates but generally:

~$650 to share a 2 bed 2 bath unit (~1100 sq ft)
~$800 for a studio (~500 sq ft)
~$1200 for a 1 bed 1 bath unit (~800 sq feet)

Thank you!

Wow, they went up almost $300 for the one bedroom and studio!

Hey guys,

I interviewed on Oct. 27th..anyone from that interview get a call yet?

Hey guys,

I interviewed on Oct. 27th..anyone from that interview get a call yet?
Doesn’t seem like it... hopefully tomorrow. The group that interviewed the Friday before us heard back on Saturday around 4 pm central.

Doesn’t seem like it... hopefully tomorrow. The group that interviewed the Friday before us heard back on Saturday around 4 pm central.
ok thx,hopefully thats the case then!

To give you a rough idea on what a house might cost, mine is a 1600 sq. ft house with a 2 car garage. It's 900 per month. After utilities, its around $1,100 per month. There are quite a few nice homes for rent in Dothan from $600-$1,100 if you are interested in a house. Dothan is a very affordable city to live in.

Do you know if any of the apartments are already furnished? Are any of Summerfield apartments furnished?

II
Out of state (from Chicago), 3.2 cGPA, 2.9sGPA, 508 MCAT. Picked up one of the remaining February 23rd dates. Anyone here manage to scoop an earlier date that opened up?
Just check on a daily basis, I've seen spots open up randomly.

Anyone at the summer field apartment know the price of a studio? I can’t find the costs onljne

Hey guys im about to give up my interview here for December 1st so someone can snag it on the portal for an earlier interview date if you were forced to pick a spring interview!

Hey guys im about to give up my interview here for December 1st so someone can snag it on the portal for an earlier interview date if you were forced to pick a spring interview!

I'm assuming because of Rowan, congrats on your acceptance!

Looks like we might have to wait until next week :( I’m hoping that the people here aren’t just the waitlist cohort
I feel you, but I we interviewed relatively early in the cycle according to Dr. Reynolds, so we still have a high chance of getting in (depending on how well your interview went of course). I doubt we're all in the waitlist cohort.

I feel you, but I we interviewed relatively early in the cycle according to Dr. Reynolds, so we still have a high chance of getting in (depending on how well your interview went of course). I doubt we're all in the waitlist cohort.
I’m convincing myself I’m waitlisted so that I’m not disappointed if that’s the outcome haha. For now, I guess we just wait!

I’m convincing myself I’m waitlisted so that I’m not disappointed if that’s the outcome haha. For now, I guess we just wait!
Even being waitlisted is better than nothing, you still could get an acceptance in March when people drop acceptances. But don't give up hope on this call! They say 2 weeks but my friend who is a student at ACOM said he had a classmate who got the acceptance call almost 3 weeks later!
Also, he told me that this weekend there was a major clerkship fair at the school and a lot of the profs were so busy that they canceled classes yesterday. Possibly another reason why we haven't gotten a call yet.

I have a strong feeling no calls have been made yet. Someone would have made their acceptance known.

Reactions: 3 users