2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I take it you got accepted to KCU? If so, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Yes, got into KCU! Waiting on my Texas MD schools but that’s not until Feb 1. Still remember our interview day, feels like forever ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, got into KCU! Waiting on my Texas MD schools but that’s not until Feb 1. Still remember our interview day, feels like forever ago.
Well good luck! I'm glad you got into the school you wanted

for anybody on the waitlist and that is updating, should i send it to mr. bob willis email and AACOMAS or dr reynolds or? also for new grades do we send a transcript to the school or just via AACOMAS

I haven't even gotten a supplemental application. Can some of yall who got accepted post their stats so I know what I need work towards?

Hey guys, long time lurker, but I was recently accepted here! Got the phone call the Wednesday after the interview for those of you wondering! This is honestly an awesome school, I will be attending here! For those of you already accepted, Im assuming the instructions for the deposit will be in the second email they said they will send out? Thanks!

Congrats! And yep, email with info. If your paying, do it using a computer so you have option of credit card or e-check.

I really loved this school, but I will be withdrawing my acceptance for somewhere else! Hope one of y'all gets my spot!

i just freed my 2/9 interview date, if it helps anyone, just got accepted at a different school. Goodluck!

My Lizzie M was ~65 with a strong upward trend in GPA and 512 MCAT. When were you complete?
Wow, maybe that's why I haven't heard back. My application was verified on aacomas Nov 1. My gpa is 3.5/3.4 and my mcat is 504. I guess my stats are just low for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, maybe that's why I haven't heard back. My application was verified on aacomas Nov 1. My gpa is 3.5/3.4 and my mcat is 504. I guess my stats are just low for this cycle.
No your good, it just depends when your verified. I was complete in June with an II early July. (3.1c/2.95s/3.06smp/3.4g 498mcat) it just depends when you applied I believe.

yea I know other ppl with stats similar to yours that interviewed with me. You just applied very late, and I am not sure how late they send secondary apps

This was my stats exactly, and I was accepted back in Aug. As the other user said, just have patience :)

Hi guys! Please don't judge, but I wanted to ask previous applicants and current students of this school if a 491 MCAT score will give me a shot at an interview. Other than the MCAT, I am a well rounded applicant. 3.5 GPA with ton of extra curricular. I also have strong letters

Hi guys! Please don't judge, but I wanted to ask previous applicants and current students of this school if a 491 MCAT score will give me a shot at an interview. Other than the MCAT, I am a well rounded applicant. 3.5 GPA with ton of extra curricular. I also have strong letters
My recommendation would be to save your money and retake your MCAT. Unless you have an incredibly compelling reason for that score - even still I think chances are slim to none. You might have had a little bit more of a shot if you applied at the very beginning of the cycle in June but, at this point, applicants need higher and higher stats to get attention from schools when they apply this late in the cycle. I'm sorry if that's harsh but you can do it! I had the same GPA with thousands of hours of volunteering and strong letters but my first MCAT score was a 488. I retook the MCAT two months later and got a 501 and I was accepted on my first time applying. **** happens but you've got to show that you retained something from your program and can apply that knowledge so you need a score to show that. Unfortunately, I don't think a score of 491 will do that so I highly recommend you retake and apply next cycle. You also don't want to apply more times than you have to. Give yourself the best shot possible! If you have any questions about anything or just want to talk more please PM me. With a better MCAT I think you could be a great applicant!

absolutely not. 22nd percentile is very low. Definitely try to retake and get a better score, it is really not worth wasting the money to apply

Anyone get an II or update on their application recently? I was complete on 10/18 and after contacting Ashley and Mr. Willis, I was told last Friday I'd hear back in a few days. Just wanting to know an answer before the holiday break... :/

Anyone get an II or update on their application recently? I was complete on 10/18 and after contacting Ashley and Mr. Willis, I was told last Friday I'd hear back in a few days. Just wanting to know an answer before the holiday break... :/

I spoke to Mr. Willis last Friday as well and he said that they were "hoping" to send some II by yesterday, but I haven't heard anything so possibly later today or tomorrow?

Where do most students live? Is summerfield really that popular? I can't seem to find the costs anywhere.

Where do most students live? Is summerfield really that popular? I can't seem to find the costs anywhere.

A lot of the students live at Summerfield for convenience. Someone posted the cost in the thread somewhere.

A lot of the students live at Summerfield for convenience. Someone posted the cost in the thread somewhere.
So how exactly do the Summerfield apartments work? Is it like a regular rental where we can stuff as many people as we want inside a studio or are there specific regulations as to visitors/guests/pets etc?

Also to piggyback a bit, are the apartments furnished by chance?

So I drove to dothan a few days ago but only had time to go to magnolia to see the housing and their prices are about $860+ for 1 bed/1 bath with kitchen appliances and washer/dryer included. Furniture you have to buy yourself. The have a small gym that's 24 hrs that i found to be nice since I don't need too heavy of a gym.

So I drove to dothan a few days ago but only had time to go to magnolia to see the housing and their prices are about $860+ for 1 bed/1 bath with kitchen appliances and washer/dryer included. Furniture you have to buy yourself. The have a small gym that's 24 hrs that i found to be nice since I don't need too heavy of a gym.

Wow the units look really nice.
A twenty minute drive to campus is not bad but walking from the on campus apartments seems more convenient.
Since the pricing is about the same as the on campus apartments what makes you want to go with Magnolia instead? Only the gym?

Yeah, what kind of gym and equipment do they have vs the one at Summerfield (I think they have a gym)?

So how exactly do the Summerfield apartments work? Is it like a regular rental where we can stuff as many people as we want inside a studio or are there specific regulations as to visitors/guests/pets etc?

No, there are regulations for how many people are living in the studio, 1 bedroom, or 2 bedroom. Only certain apartment buildings are pet friendly. As for visitors and guests, I've had classmates host parties at their place, but if other students keep complaining about noise, you'll have violation notices and then you'll have to pay a fee.

A twenty minute drive to campus is not bad but walking from the on campus apartments seems more convenient.
Since the pricing is about the same as the on campus apartments what makes you want to go with Magnolia instead? Only the gym?

Depends on your preference if you want to live near campus or away. Some people want to be away from campus after a long day at school. Others find it convenient to live within walking distance so they can go home during breaks and then come back for afternoon class or labs. Or you can be good friends with someone at Summerfield and bum at their place during breaks or something. Magnolia has slightly better soundproof apartments compared to Summerfield.

@nooneyouknow I live in Summerfield and I'm really happy there! I share a two bedroom apartment with another student and we pay $630 each per month. That includes all utilities, wifi, and a washer/dryer unit in the apartment. You can go over on your electricity and have to pay extra and we have done that but it's never been more than about $4 extra each. We have our own bathrooms and more closet space than we know what to do with. We still have an entire closet that is completely empty and one that has nothing but empty boxes from us moving in. The apartments are not furnished but lots of students that are moving out and going on rotations are looking to get rid of their furniture so it's not hard to find cheap stuff. We got couches, side tables, and a dining room set all for around $300 total. I don't know anything about Magnolia and I've heard it's also very nice but I chose Summerfield because I wanted the convenience and I don't regret it at all. I hate waking up early as it is so it's nice not to have to wake up even earlier and drive. It also saves me a lot of money on gas so no complaints. Summerfield has been a very easy place to live and I'll be staying there again for next year!

I would also like to add that if you buy furniture from a student that is moving out of Summerfield, the managers will hold the furniture for you and have it waiting for you in your apartment when you go to move in. It doesn't cost extra and it was very convenient to already have our couches and tables there waiting for us.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, what kind of gym and equipment do they have vs the one at Summerfield (I think they have a gym)?
Some weights, some treadmills, an exercise bike, a few strength training machines. I didn't get to check out Summerfield because I figured I'd check that out next month and I drove to and left dothan the same day so I was short on time. I only checked out magnolia.

I didn't get to check out Summerfield because I was exploring the city and had to get back home which is a few hours away so I have no opinion of it yet. Based on my short trip to dothan, I really liked magnolia because of how quiet and peaceful it is. The movie theater and some restaurants are within walking distance of it as well. They also have a very limited number of apartments that have garages and my car is somewhat expensive so I'd like to have that option as well.

Depends on your preference if you want to live near campus or away. Some people want to be away from campus after a long day at school. Others find it convenient to live within walking distance so they can go home during breaks and then come back for afternoon class or labs. Or you can be good friends with someone at Summerfield and bum at their place during breaks or something. Magnolia has slightly better soundproof apartments compared to Summerfield.
There seems to be a lot of conveniences near Magnolia such as the mall but is it within walking distance?
@nooneyouknow I live in Summerfield and I'm really happy there! I share a two bedroom apartment with another student and we pay $630 each per month. That includes all utilities, wifi, and a washer/dryer unit in the apartment. You can go over on your electricity and have to pay extra and we have done that but it's never been more than about $4 extra each. We have our own bathrooms and more closet space than we know what to do with. We still have an entire closet that is completely empty and one that has nothing but empty boxes from us moving in. The apartments are not furnished but lots of students that are moving out and going on rotations are looking to get rid of their furniture so it's not hard to find cheap stuff. We got couches, side tables, and a dining room set all for around $300 total. I don't know anything about Magnolia and I've heard it's also very nice but I chose Summerfield because I wanted the convenience and I don't regret it at all. I hate waking up early as it is so it's nice not to have to wake up even earlier and drive. It also saves me a lot of money on gas so no complaints. Summerfield has been a very easy place to live and I'll be staying there again for next year!

I would also like to add that if you buy furniture from a student that is moving out of Summerfield, the managers will hold the furniture for you and have it waiting for you in your apartment when you go to move in. It doesn't cost extra and it was very convenient to already have our couches and tables there waiting for us.

It does sound pretty convenient. How insulated are the apartments? Can you hear your neighbors? How about within the apartment, would you be able to hear your apartment mate if they played music behind closed doors or in the living room? Does the possibility exist to have two people share a one bedroom apartment or do the schools policies forbid that?
How is the parking at Summerfield? Do you have to fight with the other students for the spots right outside the complex? How far is the nearest grocery store from Summerfield?

There seems to be a lot of conveniences near Magnolia such as the mall but is it within walking distance?

It does sound pretty convenient. How insulated are the apartments? Can you hear your neighbors? How about within the apartment, would you be able to hear your apartment mate if they played music behind closed doors or in the living room? Does the possibility exist to have two people share a one bedroom apartment or do the schools policies forbid that?
How is the parking at Summerfield? Do you have to fight with the other students for the spots right outside the complex? How far is the nearest grocery store from Summerfield?

If you live at Magnolia, the mall is not really walking distance since it's across the highway.

Summerfield apartments have wood flooring for the studio apartments and only carpet for the bedrooms in the 1 and 2 room apartments, so sound isn't well insulated. If you're a light sleeper and you have someone living above you, you'll hear majority of their movements. I could hear my neighbors if they were talking loudly and I could hear their TV and music. I recommend living on the top floor if you get bothered by noise.

I know one of the couples who shared one bedroom together in a 2 bedroom apartment, and they had a roommate who had the second bedroom, so it was the three of them living together. There are couples who share a studio apartment together. Parking isn't an issue at Summerfield. There's a grocery store within 10 mins of Summerfield.

Are there any upperclassman that can comment on how well ACOM's lectures prepare you for the boards (COMLEX and USMLE)? I know preparing for the boards mostly comes down to the individual student, but I've heard of some schools teaching things that are not relevant at all to the boards, like a professor adding material that will not be tested at all, or adding some of their own research project into the lecture. With a minimum 60% attendance, I'm hoping the lectures lay a solid foundation for both board exams.

Are there any upperclassman that can comment on how well ACOM's lectures prepare you for the boards (COMLEX and USMLE)? I know preparing for the boards mostly comes down to the individual student, but I've heard of some schools teaching things that are not relevant at all to the boards, like a professor adding material that will not be tested at all, or adding some of their own research project into the lecture. With a minimum 60% attendance, I'm hoping the lectures lay a solid foundation for both board exams.

ACOM does have professors who tests not board relevant material, and they have a few who emphasize what is board relevant. They did decent enough prepping the class for COMLEX, but not good enough for USMLE. But I did well on both so, for me, it was all about how I prepared myself for boards. Now, they have this mandatory "board prep" class at the end of second year, which was a waste of time for me.

ACOM does have professors who tests not board relevant material, and they have a few who emphasize what is board relevant. They did decent enough prepping the class for COMLEX, but not good enough for USMLE. But I did well on both so, for me, it was all about how I prepared myself for boards. Now, they have this mandatory "board prep" class at the end of second year, which was a waste of time for me.

When I interviewed there, the professors I spoke to acted like USMLE was going to be a non-issue after the merger.
From what I understand, it's basically mandatory for most historically ACGME residencies.
Are there any professors at ACOM in particular that were more realistic in prepping students for USMLE than others?

Thanks for the insight. I know the library has First Aid, but does the school provide you with any other materials to help with board prep? I thought I read somewhere that they give students Pathoma, but I might be mistaken.

When I interviewed there, the professors I spoke to acted like USMLE was going to be a non-issue after the merger.
From what I understand, it's basically mandatory for most historically ACGME residencies.
Are there any professors at ACOM in particular that were more realistic in prepping students for USMLE than others?

It depends on the programs. Some accept both, and some only accept USMLE. You'll have to do your research when you narrow down your specialities. I recommend taking both boards for more opportunities in the future, but if you're struggling with test taking or if you're set on primary care specialties and don't want to spend extra money, then only take COMLEX.

There are a few professors at ACOM who were better at prepping the students for USMLE. Pathology, microbiology, and pharmacology were solid in my opinion. OPP material they taught was very good for the COMLEX.

Thanks for the insight. I know the library has First Aid, but does the school provide you with any other materials to help with board prep? I thought I read somewhere that they give students Pathoma, but I might be mistaken.

Yes, they give students a subscription of Pathoma now starting their second semester of first year. They also provide you with the COMBANK (qbank for COMLEX) and board vitals (another qbank that can help with class material, but not boards). ACOM also pays for all the COMSAEs (practice COMLEX tests, but half length), and they start giving you these tests at the end of first semester your first year. They also provide CramFighters during, which is a great scheduling tool you can use to create your board prep schedule. ACOM pays for your COMLEX Level I and IICE. Lastly, they have this mandatory board prep class at the end of second year, but I don't know how long they'll continue this.

Yes, they give students a subscription of Pathoma now starting their second semester of first year. They also provide you with the COMBANK (qbank for COMLEX) and board vitals (another qbank that can help with class material, but not boards). ACOM also pays for all the COMSAEs (practice COMLEX tests, but half length), and they start giving you these tests at the end of first semester your first year. They also provide CramFighters during, which is a great scheduling tool you can use to create your board prep schedule. ACOM pays for your COMLEX Level I and IICE. Lastly, they have this mandatory board prep class at the end of second year, but I don't know how long they'll continue this.
During my interview, I believe one of the professors said they currently use Wolfpac for board prep, but they might change to something else. But they attributed the first time pass rate increase (from 89% to 94%) to Wolfpac, so who knows if they actually do away with it. I really loved the school when I interviewed, and it remains my top choice, so I am just curious how you feel about your time there. If you were to do it all again, would you choose ACOM, or go somewhere else?

During my interview, I believe one of the professors said they currently use Wolfpac for board prep, but they might change to something else. But they attributed the first time pass rate increase (from 89% to 94%) to Wolfpac, so who knows if they actually do away with it. I really loved the school when I interviewed, and it remains my top choice, so I am just curious how you feel about your time there. If you were to do it all again, would you choose ACOM, or go somewhere else?

They used Wolfpacc last year with us and are continuing it this year. I'm okay with my time at ACOM. Every med school will have their own problems. If I were to do it all again, it would be either ACOM or another two years before I got into a MD school, and I rather would've started right away at ACOM then wait another two years since I was already out of undergrad for several years.

How active is the campus/Summerfield at night? Do students come and go to the study rooms or are there any events held on campus by the students?

How active is the campus/Summerfield at night? Do students come and go to the study rooms or are there any events held on campus by the students?

Campus is really active the week before a test since there's a lot of students studying at school or in the study rooms/clubhouse at Summerfield. Campus is usually dead the night following a test. Yes, there are events held on campus by student clubs as well as Summerfield clubhouse.

They used Wolfpacc last year with us and are continuing it this year. I'm okay with my time at ACOM. Every med school will have their own problems. If I were to do it all again, it would be either ACOM or another two years before I got into a MD school, and I rather would've started right away at ACOM then wait another two years since I was already out of undergrad for several years.
I am in the same situation you were in. I have been out of college for a couple of years now, so it seems like taking the ACOM acceptance is the best choice. One of the things I really liked about ACOM is all the electives they give you during your 3rd and 4th years. Do you happen to know how difficult is for DO students, specifically students at newer DO schools like ACOM, to obtain rotation sites at academic centers? I am from the NYC area, so being able to go through the Visiting Medical Student application to land a rotation at a low/mid tier NYC metro academic center would be awesome. Just not sure how realistic that would be.

I'm concerned about VCOM Auburn taking away resources such as rotation sites away from ACOM. Is this a valid concern?

I am in the same situation you were in. I have been out of college for a couple of years now, so it seems like taking the ACOM acceptance is the best choice. One of the things I really liked about ACOM is all the electives they give you during your 3rd and 4th years. Do you happen to know how difficult is for DO students, specifically students at newer DO schools like ACOM, to obtain rotation sites at academic centers? I am from the NYC area, so being able to go through the Visiting Medical Student application to land a rotation at a low/mid tier NYC metro academic center would be awesome. Just not sure how realistic that would be.

You'll have majority of 4th year for electives. They just suddenly changed the 3rd year curriculum on us, so we lost an extra elective for 3rd year and now down to two instead of three.

For audition/away rotations, if the program is on the VSAS program list, you'll have you make sure you are above their score cut off range to apply for a rotation spot. It varies from program to program, but I've seen DO students rotate through academic centers. If they have DO residents, that's usually a good sign.

I'm concerned about VCOM Auburn taking away resources such as rotation sites away from ACOM. Is this a valid concern?

Nah, because ACOM took over majority of the rotation sites AMEC had. VCOM-Auburn also share sites with its other branches from what I hear. I don't see a problem with VCOM.