2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You'll have majority of 4th year for electives. They just suddenly changed the 3rd year curriculum on us, so we lost an extra elective for 3rd year and now down to two instead of three.

For audition/away rotations, if the program is on the VSAS program list, you'll have you make sure you are above their score cut off range to apply for a rotation spot. It varies from program to program, but I've seen DO students rotate through academic centers. If they have DO residents, that's usually a good sign.
Still sounds like a good amount of electives compared to other schools. How have your rotations been? I know they do preceptor based rotations instead of the more traditional ward based rotations, so I'm interested how that is. And do most students end up at SAMC?

Members don't see this ad.

Still sounds like a good amount of electives compared to other schools. How have your rotations been? I know they do preceptor based rotations instead of the more traditional ward based rotations, so I'm interested how that is. And do most students end up at SAMC?

My rotations have been fine, and I get to do as much as I want. Preceptor based is good for learning and being independent, and if you're on surgery or OBGYN, you usually get to first assist. Plus, you get more attention and guidance for preceptor based rotations. I'm planning on doing a wards based IM rotation during 4th year to see what it's like working in teams with residents and other medical students. Some of my classmates at the Birmingham site have done a few ward based rotations. My significant other has done majority ward based rotations at a MD school and says it's overrated and doesn't help you significantly during residency unless you were a poor performing student to begin with. But if you were doing a sub-internship in IM, that would be more helpful for intern year.

No, only about 10-15 students end up at SAMC for their rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
My rotations have been fine, and I get to do as much as I want. Preceptor based is good for learning and being independent, and if you're on surgery or OBGYN, you usually get to first assist. Plus, you get more attention and guidance for preceptor based rotations. I'm planning on doing a wards based IM rotation during 4th year to see what it's like working in teams with residents and other medical students. Some of my classmates at the Birmingham site have done a few ward based rotations. My significant other has done majority ward based rotations at a MD school and says it's overrated and doesn't help you significantly during residency unless you were a poor performing student to begin with. But if you were doing a sub-internship in IM, that would be more helpful for intern year.

Thank you so much for being so consistent with answering our questions.
With only about 10% of ACOM's students going to SAMC for rotations, what other kinds of benefits does being so closely associated with SAMC actually bring?

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, I thought that number would be much higher. Is SAMC the most sought after rotation site? And do you happen to have the schedule for first years? Interested to see what an average day looks like in terms of classes.

Thank you so much for being so consistent with answering our questions.
With only about 10% of ACOM's students going to SAMC for rotations, what other kinds of benefits does being so closely associated with SAMC actually bring?

You can work with physicians from SAMC on poster presentations, and if there are physicians who are doing research or have interesting case studies, you could help out. There's some networking opportunities too throughout the first two years. Other than those things, not much benefits unless you're rotating there. SAMC is opening up their IM residency program next year for summer of 2018, if you're interested in that.

Wow, I thought that number would be much higher. Is SAMC the most sought after rotation site? And do you happen to have the schedule for first years? Interested to see what an average day looks like in terms of classes.

ACOM allots a certain number of students at each site to make sure all the spots at all the sites are filled. SAMC has been a popular choice for students who have families, significant others working in Dothan, or children in school in Dothan. It's also popular with students who are too lazy to move somewhere else during their 3rd and 4th year. I've heard really good things about the SAMC site from friends who are rotating there and they've had good experiences so far.

I don't have the current year's calendar, but I think someone may have already posted it in this thread? I only have the 2016-2017 calendar, which has changed a bit compared to this years. You'll have to ask a current first year for the schedule.

You can work with physicians from SAMC on poster presentations, and if there are physicians who are doing research or have interesting case studies, you could help out. There's some networking opportunities too throughout the first two years. Other than those things, not much benefits unless you're rotating there. SAMC is opening up their IM residency program next year for summer of 2018, if you're interested in that.

IM is my end goal at this point, but since I'm guessing the rotations are based on the lottery system, I'm guessing I would have a 90% chance of not being able to rotate there.

IM is my end goal at this point, but since I'm guessing the rotations are based on the lottery system, I'm guessing I would have a 90% chance of not being able to rotate there.

Even if it's not your core site, you can do audition/away rotations at SAMC if you really wanted to. For my class, they told us about 50% of the class got their first choice rotation site. Some other sites can have connections to IM programs. Students at the Birmingham site could do some of their audition rotations at University of Alabama at Birmingham. Students at the Mobile site have opportunities at University of South Alabama. Tallahassee site is close to Florida State University.

ACOM allots a certain number of students at each site to make sure all the spots at all the sites are filled. SAMC has been a popular choice for students who have families, significant others working in Dothan, or children in school in Dothan. It's also popular with students who are too lazy to move somewhere else during their 3rd and 4th year. I've heard really good things about the SAMC site from friends who are rotating there and they've had good experiences so far.

I don't have the current year's calendar, but I think someone may have already posted it in this thread? I only have the 2016-2017 calendar, which has changed a bit compared to this years. You'll have to ask a current first year for the schedule.
Thanks for answering everything. Very excited to be a part of the ACOM family!

Out of the available sites, which did you think was the top three most in demand and why?

Out of the available sites, which did you think was the top three most in demand and why?

In my opinion, I think the sites located in big cities were popular.

Tallahassee because it's in FL and near FSU. We have a lot of Florida students. Their site works you hard and heard it's good for people interested in ER.

Birmingham is another big city and one of the more diverse cities in AL. Also close to UAB and more things to do, but might have to drive out like an hour or more to your rotation site.

Mobile has the most spots for students, about 30 spots split between four sites.

Huntsville, Panama City Beach, and Pensacola were some other popular sites too.

There seems to be a lot of conveniences near Magnolia such as the mall but is it within walking distance?

It does sound pretty convenient. How insulated are the apartments? Can you hear your neighbors? How about within the apartment, would you be able to hear your apartment mate if they played music behind closed doors or in the living room? Does the possibility exist to have two people share a one bedroom apartment or do the schools policies forbid that?
How is the parking at Summerfield? Do you have to fight with the other students for the spots right outside the complex? How far is the nearest grocery store from Summerfield?
The nearest major grocery store (Publix) is extremely close - about 3 miles away from the school. There's also a CVS, walgreens, and Winn Dixie about 2 miles away from the school right next to the hospital.

Parking hasn't been an issue at all - there seems to be plenty of spaces and I never have an issue getting a spot right next to my building.

The apartments are not super well insulated. I don't have a hard time at all hearing my neighbors. That's probably the only con i've experienced but it hasn't been a real issue for me. My roommate is quiet and my neighbors are minimally noisy.

The school has no control over the apartment complexes at all - they only have a contract with the company that owns the apartments so that they will only be leased by ACOM students. The complex doesn't allow you to have more than one student per bedroom. If you have a spouse that's different - they would allow a couple to share a one bedroom apartment. I think that's kind of a dumb rule but I have had no problem paying my share of the rent and have really enjoyed living there so I'm fine with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
@killergiant34 Here is the tentative schedule that they emailed to our class! It was sent about two weeks before the first day of classes. For the most part, this schedule was pretty accurate for how our semester ended up but some changes happened throughout the semester. Keep in mind that this schedule doesn't label which classes were designated student assignments. Those are basically just lectures/reading to do on your own time and are blocked off as a lecture but it's up to you to do those on your own time. Some people do it during the blocked off time and others don't, it's totally up to you. There's rarely an associated assignment/due date (almost never). This schedule also doesn't label which classes are mandatory or not. Most general lectures are not mandatory so you only have to attend 60% of them. However, an unexcused absence from a mandatory class will earn you a grade reduction. Obviously this will not be your schedule next semester but it should give you a good idea of what our semester was like. October is traditionally the hardest month for first years.

Attachments

• Tentative Fall.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: 1 users
@killergiant34 Here is the tentative schedule that they emailed to our class! It was sent about two weeks before the first day of classes. For the most part, this schedule was pretty accurate for how our semester ended up but some changes happened throughout the semester. Keep in mind that this schedule doesn't label which classes were designated student assignments. Those are basically just lectures/reading to do on your own time and are blocked off as a lecture but it's up to you to do those on your own time. Some people do it during the blocked off time and others don't, it's totally up to you. There's rarely an associated assignment/due date (almost never). This schedule also doesn't label which classes are mandatory or not. Most general lectures are not mandatory so you only have to attend 60% of them. However, an unexcused absence from a mandatory class will earn you a grade reduction. Obviously this will not be your schedule next semester but it should give you a good idea of what our semester was like. October is traditionally the hardest month for first years.
Thank you so much for this!

Thank you, current students, for answering our questions! This really helps out when so many of us have varying priorities and specific questions.

There seems to be a lot of conveniences near Magnolia such as the mall but is it within walking distance?

It does sound pretty convenient. How insulated are the apartments? Can you hear your neighbors? How about within the apartment, would you be able to hear your apartment mate if they played music behind closed doors or in the living room? Does the possibility exist to have two people share a one bedroom apartment or do the schools policies forbid that?
How is the parking at Summerfield? Do you have to fight with the other students for the spots right outside the complex? How far is the nearest grocery store from Summerfield?

I will add that I live in a studio at Summerfield and asked if my boyfriend could move in with me/get a key/be on the lease and Brittany said "Absolutely, not a problem at all! Let me know when he moves and we'll get him set up!" It seems to me there isn't a hard and fast rule about people sharing a one bedroom.

I will add that I live in a studio at Summerfield and asked if my boyfriend could move in with me/get a key/be on the lease and Brittany said "Absolutely, not a problem at all! Let me know when he moves and we'll get him set up!" It seems to me there isn't a hard and fast rule about people sharing a one bedroom.
That sounds great. They seem very flexible. Did you have to pay an additional cost for the second person? I'm also wondering if there's an additional fee for pets.

That sounds great. They seem very flexible. Did you have to pay an additional cost for the second person? I'm also wondering if there's an additional fee for pets.

There's a pet deposit and a monthly pet fee. Only a few of the apartment buildings are pet friendly.

How much is the fee? I can't seem to find it on the website. I heard there were limitations on dog size but since I have a cat it should be fine.

How much is the fee? I can't seem to find it on the website. I heard there were limitations on dog size but since I have a cat it should be fine.

You should email Brittney Tomlin ([email protected]) for the current prices. I think for us, it was around $200 for pet deposit and $25 a month fee.

I'm interested in getting an apartment in Fox Run, Sweetwater, or Summer Tree (a short drive to campus but way cheaper in comparison to Summerfield). If anyone is interested in rooming together, shoot me a PM! I have a friendly cat so hopefully will be able to bring her. I'm clean, laid back, and plan on spending almost all of my time studying... I do like wine and good food if my schedule allows for it :)

No additional fee for the second person.

Anyone get updates lately? Last contact with the school was still Dec. 14th - letting me know that I should hear back in a few days, and now nothing... Don't want to seem too pushy and email/call them again but this is getting a little ridiculous :/ complete 10/18

Anyone get updates lately? Last contact with the school was still Dec. 14th - letting me know that I should hear back in a few days, and now nothing... Don't want to seem too pushy and email/call them again but this is getting a little ridiculous :/ complete 10/18

They are still on winter break. The semester will start next week.

Complete 12/14 and II today for 2/23. I'm excited to check this school out. Seems like a lot of people like it!

Hello fellow applicants,
I just heard back from ACOM today and got accepted. Interviewed 12/8, I recommend being polite and inquiring, the faculty and staff is more than happy to help answer questions and perhaps help you find out your status.

just wanted to add that it is an extremely nerve wracking time for all applicants but don't get down on yourself. I was very close to leaving for carribean or giving up on my dreams all together but i remained steadfast and didn't lose ALL hope. be strong and keep trying, I am decidedly not a traditional student and my MCAT is so old it wasn't accepted by majority of the schools. So stay strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello fellow applicants,
I just heard back from ACOM today and got accepted. Interviewed 12/8, I recommend being polite and inquiring, the faculty and staff is more than happy to help answer questions and perhaps help you find out your status.

just wanted to add that it is an extremely nerve wracking time for all applicants but don't get down on yourself. I was very close to leaving for carribean or giving up on my dreams all together but i remained steadfast and didn't lose ALL hope. be strong and keep trying, I am decidedly not a traditional student and my MCAT is so old it wasn't accepted by majority of the schools. So stay strong.

Were you waitlisted then accepted, or just outright accepted?

Were you waitlisted then accepted, or just outright accepted?
outright accepted, took longer than it should have because they had requested some extra info about my app before making their final decision.

I couldn't seem to find it anywhere, but what is this school's letters of recommendation requirement?

Are we interviewing for a waitlist spot at this moment!? I don't want to spend more money if it's so.

Are we interviewing for a waitlist spot at this moment!? I don't want to spend more money if it's so.
Why would you think we are interviewing for waitlist? How do you know the class is filled?

Why would you think we are interviewing for waitlist? How do you know the class is filled?
Well. When I interviewed they outright said interviews for the waitlist typically begin around February.

Well. When I interviewed they outright said interviews for the waitlist typically begin around February.
You sure they didn't mean start taking people off waitlist...another program mentioned they start their wsit list movement in May.

You sure they didn't mean start taking people off waitlist...another program mentioned they start their wsit list movement in May.
100% sure. Someone explicitly asked if my interview group was interviewing for the waitlist and we were told they don't typically interview for waitlist positions until around February. He did say they make sure to have a 'healthy' waitlist. And they accept quite a few people, they are hyper-aware and open about the fact that people with MD acceptances will drop an acceptance to their program. An interview in March is also super late. When did you apply?

100% sure. Someone explicitly asked if my interview group was interviewing for the waitlist and we were told they don't typically interview for waitlist positions until around February. He did say they make sure to have a 'healthy' waitlist. And they accept quite a few people, they are hyper-aware and open about the fact that people with MD acceptances will drop an acceptance to their program. An interview in March is also super late. When did you apply?
My app complete 10/25... I guess I should be happy to be getting interviews at the point.

My app complete 10/25... I guess I should be happy to be getting interviews at the point.

Ask them during your interview if you're interviewing for a spot or for the waitlist. Good luck!

when i interviewed they didn't specifically say that later interview dates are for waitlist. they said they have less seats to offer as it gets later into the cycle. they told our group that there are many seats left to be filled so theoretically our entire group could be accepted, albeit that was not the case. i remember they said "this conversation will be alot different later in the cycle", but it does mean that they keep some seats to offer later on so keep up the spirit and best of luck!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just submitted my deposit. For those who have gone through the process already, did you guys receive any kind of confirmation from ACOM after submission? Also, I noticed that in my portal under "application status" it shows as "Interview requested" did y'alls status change to accepted at any point? I'm assuming they haven't updated the portal in a while. Thanks!

Hey guys, I just submitted my deposit. For those who have gone through the process already, did you guys receive any kind of confirmation from ACOM after submission? Also, I noticed that in my portal under "application status" it shows as "Interview requested" did y'alls status change to accepted at any point? I'm assuming they haven't updated the portal in a while. Thanks!
I have no idea about portal changes but I sent a check in and monitored my bank statement to see when they cashed it in. It took a few days for them to email me a "deposit received" email.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

when i interviewed they didn't specifically say that later interview dates are for waitlist. they said they have less seats to offer as it gets later into the cycle. they told our group that there are many seats left to be filled so theoretically our entire group could be accepted, albeit that was not the case. i remember they said "this conversation will be alot different later in the cycle", but it does mean that they keep some seats to offer later on so keep up the spirit and best of luck!
Thx for information. I appreciate it

I just dropped my 2/23 interview for a 2/2 date that opened up. If anyone wants that 2/23 date snag it quick!

I withdrew my interview spot for 2/2 today if someone wants it. Best of luck to you all!

Interview invite today! Hopefully sooner dates open, however!

II received on 1/10/18 for 1/26/18. Complete date was 11/16/17. LizzyM is 63.
They told me they are behind on sending IIs when I emailed them after the 3 weeks review. Hope this helps!

Just Arrived in Dothan for the interview on 1/12!!!! Any other interviewees want to meet up? Also, I would love to meet some med students if they have some time!

Another question for med students or Dothan locals: any particular places I should see in Dothan (since I have all day today free)??

SO EXCITED FOR THIS!!