2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if we get a confirmation email (or anything) to make sure that all of our matriculation documents are turned in before the May 1st deadline? I'm almost certain ACOM received them, but it would be really unfortunate to have missed a form or something minor when the deadline hits....

Members don't see this ad.

Would agree with the above with the exception of the third point. It’s business professional (or at least it’s supposed to be) for guest speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oops, I guess my class gave up with business professional for guest lecturers after the first month haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if we get a confirmation email (or anything) to make sure that all of our matriculation documents are turned in before the May 1st deadline? I'm almost certain ACOM received them, but it would be really unfortunate to have missed a form or something minor when the deadline hits....

I don't remember getting a confirmation email, but doesn't hurt to email them to make sure they have all your documents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you'll receive a "complete" email, but when I sent in my last documents I asked if that completed everything and she replied that they had everything except my final transcript (which I will send after graduation) and that she may send further emails reminding me about that. So I would assume they would send emails if you're missing anything and not just let you miss the deadline!

I don't remember getting a confirmation email, but doesn't hurt to email them to make sure they have all your documents.
I don't think you'll receive a "complete" email, but when I sent in my last documents I asked if that completed everything and she replied that they had everything except my final transcript (which I will send after graduation) and that she may send further emails reminding me about that. So I would assume they would send emails if you're missing anything and not just let you miss the deadline!

Great! Thanks, guys! I'm excited to start with y'all in July :)

One of my science LoR's is from a lab instructor. According to ACOM's website, they don't accept LoRs from lab instructors. Do any of you have any idea if this is seriously enforced? It would suck to not be able to apply to this school just because of that. (I don't think there are any other DO schools with have that rule in place.)

One of my science LoR's is from a lab instructor. According to ACOM's website, they don't accept LoRs from lab instructors. Do any of you have any idea if this is seriously enforced? It would suck to not be able to apply to this school just because of that. (I don't think there are any other DO schools with have that rule in place.)
I would contact the school and ask. I would think that if it is explicitly stated that they do not accept LoRs from lab instructors, then you may want to seek out another LoR. There's nothing wrong with asking the school but I wouldn't want to be perceived as someone that doesn't follow instruction.

I would get clarification on if they mean lab class or research lab too.

One of my science letters was from a physics lab instructor (professor/PhD though). However, I was accepted back in September so not sure if they changed things.

One of my science letters was from a physics lab instructor (professor/PhD though). However, I was accepted back in September so not sure if they changed things.

That gives me hope. I'll have to call and ask, I guess. (Mine was a professor/PhD, too.)

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Are we supposed to send in our direct deposit authorization form with the rest of our matriculation documents? Silly question I know, I just wanted to make sure.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Are we supposed to send in our direct deposit authorization form with the rest of our matriculation documents? Silly question I know, I just wanted to make sure.

I’ve been wondering the same, which is why I’ve been holding this packet since February.

I’m gonna send a big envelope to admissions with everything in it but include a small envelope with my direct deposit form/voided check addressed to whom they said to mail it to...

Unless anyone has an answer to the above question.

I’ve been wondering the same, which is why I’ve been holding this packet since February.

I’m gonna send a big envelope to admissions with everything in it but include a small envelope with my direct deposit form/voided check addressed to whom they said to mail it to...

Unless anyone has an answer to the above question.
I like that idea. What I find a little confusing is how some of the documents we have to sign are supposed to go to different departments. So I'm wondering if I should go with the big envelope with smaller envelopes idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like that idea. What I find a little confusing is how some of the documents we have to sign are supposed to go to different departments. So I'm wondering if I should go with the big envelope with smaller envelopes idea.

I scanned and emailed all mine to Yasmin Hill and she said that she would distribute them to their respective departments!

Reactions: 2 users
I scanned and emailed all mine to Yasmin Hill and she said that she would distribute them to their respective departments!
Ok that helps thank You!

For those submitting the matriculation packet, you can scan everything to Yasmine Hill.

Attachments

• 76F7593A-B463-4784-B134-BFEA3066B163.jpeg
    76F7593A-B463-4784-B134-BFEA3066B163.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 94
I wish I saw this before I went to Fed Ex

There were some documents that specifically stated filling them out and mailing them. I know a lot of the matriculation packet was scanned and sent back but I remember mailing out 2 separate documents ( one was the grad plus loan they emailed us about). I cannot recall what other document I mailed in... I think it was one that was in the matriculation packet though, could be wrong.

There were some documents that specifically stated filling them out and mailing them. I know a lot of the matriculation packet was scanned and sent back but I remember mailing out 2 separate documents ( one was the grad plus loan they emailed us about). I cannot recall what other document I mailed in... I think it was one that was in the matriculation packet though, could be wrong.
Grad plus loan wasn’t in the Matriculation packet

Wait the only email I remember about grad plus was to complete the credit check. Am I missing something?

Grad plus loan wasn’t in the Matriculation packet

Yeah Im just saying Im aware of two documents I mailed in. I believe one was from the matriculation packet but I cannot remember because I did it a while ago.

Oh wait I just remembered. The other one was the direct deposit form which was in the matriculation packet.

Wait the only email I remember about grad plus was to complete the credit check. Am I missing something?

Sorry! I meant Certification of Expected Enrollment! Its the form you need to fill out if you plan on receiving any financial aid.

Sorry! I meant Certification of Expected Enrollment! Its the form you need to fill out if you plan on receiving any financial aid.

I sent that in but good to know I’ve got my papers in order! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can a current student talk about exams?

Are the exams one large exam with all the courses questions on the exam and each individual grade will come from that? Or does each class have separate exams?

Also how long are your exams typically? Time vs questions?

Annnnd how many hours per day do you study? I know it's different for everyone but a general concensus is good to see!

Thanks!

Can a current student talk about exams?

Are the exams one large exam with all the courses questions on the exam and each individual grade will come from that? Or does each class have separate exams?

Also how long are your exams typically? Time vs questions?

Annnnd how many hours per day do you study? I know it's different for everyone but a general concensus is good to see!

Thanks!

Exams are combined, but spread throughout the systems block. For example, you may have a GI 1 exam mixed in with OPP, PCS, and foundations of modern medicine. Each class has their own grade.

I think with the time, it's about 1.5 mins per question. Exams can range between 50 questions per test to 130.

Everyone is different, so you'll get different answers about daily studying hours. I didn't study everyday and I did majority of my studying on the weekends. I may study about 2-3 hours every other day during the weekdays and maybe about 8 on the weekends. I know some of my classmates studied 4-5 hours daily and either more or less on the weekends.

Exams are combined, but spread throughout the systems block. For example, you may have a GI 1 exam mixed in with OPP, PCS, and foundations of modern medicine. Each class has their own grade.

I think with the time, it's about 1.5 mins per question. Exams can range between 50 questions per test to 130.

Everyone is different, so you'll get different answers about daily studying hours. I didn't study everyday and I did majority of my studying on the weekends. I may study about 2-3 hours every other day during the weekdays and maybe about 8 on the weekends. I know some of my classmates studied 4-5 hours daily and either more or less on the weekends.
Concur with the above

Are the tests created by the professors, or does ACOM use some type of standardize test, like NBME exams?

Professors. Some can write board style questions, and some cannot.

Thanks for the info. When I was looking at the schedule, it seems like ACOM gives you a standardized exam right before the first semester ends. Do they give exams like this after every semester?

Thanks for the info. When I was looking at the schedule, it seems like ACOM gives you a standardized exam right before the first semester ends. Do they give exams like this after every semester?

That standardized exam is the COMSAE, a practice COMLEX with 200 questions instead of 400. ACOM has you taking one at the end of every semester to introduce you to the format and style of COMLEX/NBOMBE exams and also kind of build your testing endurance. They aren't graded, except for the last one you take if ACOM decides to keep the Wolfpacc program for your class.

For everyone who will be attending in just over 3 months (!!!), when do you all plan on moving in?

I'm getting my apartment at Magnolia mid June. Like the apartment I want opened for mid June and I'm going with it.

Is that an apartment complex? Can you please provide their rates and maybe their website?

Move in day for Summerfield is July 20th I believe
Yeah I won't be living in Summerfield. I'm renting a house. I think I'm moving in July 1st and then coming home until maybe a week before orientation since there won't be a ton to do and it's only like a 7 hr drive for me.

Anyone know how much the health insurance cost if purchased from the school?

Does anyone know when the waitlist movement happen ?

Housing is 800 a month? Did people find apartments off campus for cheaper?

I'm trying to work on this currently, naturally I've just started looking now like a ***** despite being accepted since September of 2017 lol. Magnolia Preserve appears to be booked for 1 rooms, still looking.

I'd like to save money but also don't want to live somewhere with an infestation of bear-sized rats or something. Will update.

Are there interviews going on tomorrow?
If so I'd be glad to swing by the comfort inn and talk to some folks about why I chose the school.

(pm me if you're interested in meeting up!)

Last edited:
Anyone know how much the health insurance cost if purchased from the school?

About $3,300 for the entire year, but it will probably increase this upcoming year.

Last edited:
I'm trying to work on this currently, naturally I've just started looking now like a ***** despite being accepted since September of 2017 lol. Magnolia Preserve appears to be booked for 1 rooms, still looking.

I'd like to save money but also don't want to live somewhere with an infestation of bear-sized rats or something. Will update.
Lmao I got accepted around that time as well.

Is that an apartment complex? Can you please provide their rates and maybe their website?
Their rates for 1 bedroom apartments start at $865 and go up to $1100.

Stupid question, but does anyone also know where I can find my student ID number. lols

Has anyone on the waitlist heard back about an acceptance yet?