2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A lot of waitlist movement happens mid- to end of June.
I emailed admissions and they said waitlist movement should start in early May. So fingers crossed for all my other waitlisted peeps out there

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any more interviews after the April.06 one ?

hey so i spoke with bob willis not to long ago maybe 2-3 weeks ago essentially writing a LOI but since then my midterm grades have come out and are pretty good. Would it be too much to email him these grades as well considering i emailed him a short time ago and that it would be an unofficial document (picture of the portal) as my school doesn't send out official midterm grade transcripts

Reactions: 1 user
I did exactly as you describe.

Reactions: 1 users
hey so i spoke with bob willis not to long ago maybe 2-3 weeks ago essentially writing a LOI but since then my midterm grades have come out and are pretty good. Would it be too much to email him these grades as well considering i emailed him a short time ago and that it would be an unofficial document (picture of the portal) as my school doesn't send out official midterm grade transcripts

I personally don't think its too much. It shows that you are really interested in the program. I say go for it! Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM's SOMA Chapter is hosting it's annual ShaDO Day for pre-med students on April 27.

I highly recommend attending if you are currently on the waitlist, or is interested in applying to ACOM next year.

Not only will you get to learn more about Osteopathic Medicine, ACOM, and do cool medical related events, you will also get to mingle with current medical students and talk one-on-one with faculty and staff on the admissions committee. Showing high levels of interest and passion about attending ACOM could go a long way.

ACOM ShaDO Day .jpg

Reactions: 4 users
ACOM's SOMA Chapter is hosting it's annual ShaDO Day for pre-med students on April 27.

I highly recommend attending if you are currently on the waitlist, or is interested in applying to ACOM next year.

Not only will you get to learn more about Osteopathic Medicine, ACOM, and do cool medical related events, you will also get to mingle with current medical students and talk one-on-one with faculty and staff on the admissions committee. Showing high levels of interest and passion about attending ACOM could go a long way.

View attachment 232039
What’s the post event mixer? And how long would that last? I was wondering since I gotta drive back after the event but would love the chance to talk to more faculty and students after the actual event. So can anyone give me the exact timing of the post event mixer as well? Thanks In advance :)

Is anyone hearing back from admissions? I sent an email a while ago and haven't gotten a reply back so I'm curious if they're super busy or not.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Can any current students speak to how much money you get back as a refund and how it's divided up?

I know that this is the cost of attendance (Cost of Attendance (COA) – Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine) but I'm curious as to how much ACOM withholds. In my current program, they just take out the tuition, fees, and health insurance and give us the rest, but I don't know how ACOM's iPad/laptop/books policy affects that. Insight would be appreciated so I can better financially plan the year ahead.

Is anyone hearing back from admissions? I sent an email a while ago and haven't gotten a reply back so I'm curious if they're super busy or not.

Who were you trying to reach? I got some email responses from ancillary staff about some other things.

Who were you trying to reach? I got some email responses from ancillary staff about some other things.
I was trying to reach Ms. Hill, but I sent an email to Mr. Willis and he got back to Me! Just wanted to make sure they had all my documents.

What’s the post event mixer? And how long would that last? I was wondering since I gotta drive back after the event but would love the chance to talk to more faculty and students after the actual event. So can anyone give me the exact timing of the post event mixer as well? Thanks In advance :)
Planning for the mixer is still in progress. We had a hold-up with our location but generally, students attend a local bar as a chance to unwind and it's also a send off for the second year students that are about to leave for the clinical year in the next couple months. It's a great way to get to know students in a casual and relaxing way.

Update: The post-event mixer will be at KT's tavern on 4/27 and is set to start at 6:30pm! No cover charge but part of the profits for that night will be donated to SOMA and it is a great time to meet current first and second year students and check out an awesome local business! They make phenomenal pizza and have a great selection of craft beers and full bar. It's going to be great time!

Address for KT's Tavern: 168 S Foster St. Dothan, Alabama

Can't wait to see all of you in the Fall. Please enjoy and have a fun summer if you are accepted.

Good luck to all on wait list too.

Reactions: 5 users
A little birdie told me that they are rankling the waitlist and we find out where we are in the next upcoming weeks. Has anyone else heard this? Or is that person on reddit lying?

A little birdie told me that they are rankling the waitlist and we find out where we are in the next upcoming weeks. Has anyone else heard this? Or is that person on reddit lying?
that is true, the waitlist is ranked to my knowledge but they don’t provide additional information on the ranking.. I think that person referred to the waitlist movement by saying “we find out where we are”

Last edited:
Curious as to if anyone knows this years match % for the class?

Anyone know if the background check and drug screen are due BY May 1st or just record we scheduled. It seems like only yesterday we had months...!

Anyone know if the background check and drug screen are due BY May 1st or just record we scheduled. It seems like only yesterday we had months...!

If it says it's due by May 1, you should probably turn in the results by that day.

Can someone DM me the ACOM class of 2022 facebook group? Also, since I have a 'restricted breed' (old dobie), I'll be renting a single family home and looking for a roomie to move in with July 1st. Probably looking at a total house rent with an upper cap of $1200 with equal split of rent and utilities. I'd honestly want it less than $800 TOTAL for each for us.

That said, if anyone is willing to let us sublet or roomie up, DM as well!

Dude don't sweat it, I scheduled my drug test and background check this Monday through castle branch, 2 hours later I was peeing in a cup, and the results are back by Wednesday so you definitely have plenty of time to spare.

Dude don't sweat it, I scheduled my drug test and background check this Monday through castle branch, 2 hours later I was peeing in a cup, and the results are back by Wednesday so you definitely have plenty of time to spare.

Thanks. I set a date for all my paperwork but almost forgot that good ol' pee test.

Can someone DM me the ACOM class of 2022 facebook group? Also, since I have a 'restricted breed' (old dobie), I'll be renting a single family home and looking for a roomie to move in with July 1st. Probably looking at a total house rent with an upper cap of $1200 with equal split of rent and utilities. I'd honestly want it less than $800 TOTAL for each for us.

That said, if anyone is willing to let us sublet or roomie up, DM as well!
It's just ACOM Class of 2022 on facebook, you can request to join and someone will accept it.

Does castlebranch automatically send the drug test and background results to ACOM? Or do we have to send them in?

It'll show on your Castlebranch account as well, once it's done.

I wish they had a checklist of items that needed to be turned in on the student portal with like a green check mark next to items they've received, otherwise I'm just gonna be hella paranoid lol.

I wish they had a checklist of items that needed to be turned in on the student portal with like a green check mark next to items they've received, otherwise I'm just gonna be hella paranoid lol.
Email Yasmin Hill and ask, she told me everything had been recieved but if anything was missing when they review my file they’ll let me know.

Anyone know what the attendance policy is? I thought I remembered 80% but in the handbook it says you are required to attend 60% of lectures

Anyone know what the attendance policy is? I thought I remembered 80% but in the handbook it says you are required to attend 60% of lectures
It's 60%, not including Designated Student Assignments (DSAs) or mandatory sessions.

How many folks (at least on this thread) are planning to come to the open house/social mixer thing on Friday? (Just curious)

It's 60%, not including Designated Student Assignments (DSAs) or mandatory sessions.

How many folks (at least on this thread) are planning to come to the open house/social mixer thing on Friday? (Just curious)
I'm coming! :)

Reactions: 2 users

I would like to, but it'd be one hell of a plane ride for me just the event

Reactions: 2 users
I would like to, but it'd be one hell of a plane ride for me just the event
More than understandable. Exactly the reason why I was curious; I know folks aren't going to take a plane just for a social event/open house.

More than understandable. Exactly the reason why I was curious; I know folks aren't going to take a plane just for a social event/open house.
Penguin man are you going to the social mixer?

Penguin man are you going to the social mixer?
I might check it out for a little bit but not for long, wbu? Are there going to be faculty there?
(Btw the new avatar gif is on point)

I might check it out for a little bit but not for long, wbu? Are there going to be faculty there?
(Btw the new avatar gif is on point)
I'm planning it so I'm going lol. Faculty are welcome but I think it's very unlikely there will be any there. But you never know, there may be a star guest or two.

Thanks! I was feeling inspired.