2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when does interview day start? when we sign up it says 8am but the packet that we got says registration from 830-9, and then the bus from comfort inn to ACOM doesnt leave until 845. just a little confused
Yeah I didn't like how late the bus picks us up from the Comfort Inn, so I am just going to drive to the school and be there by 8

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I didn't like how late the bus picks us up from the Comfort Inn, so I am just going to drive to the school and be there by 8
An advantage of getting there early is you'll be able to calm your nerves as you get familiar with the environment.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are parking passes required, or that shouldn't be an issue?

I can't speak for interviews, but last year I went for a private tour and an open house, and neither time was parking an issue. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning a pass, I just parked wherever I wanted and went in. Not sure if it's changed lately. I'm actually in Dothan now and I might can swing by and just see if anyone has parking passes.

I can't speak for interviews, but last year I went for a private tour and an open house, and neither time was parking an issue. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning a pass, I just parked wherever I wanted and went in. Not sure if it's changed lately. I'm actually in Dothan now and I might can swing by and just see if anyone has parking passes.
Thanks! You're awesome

I will be interviewing on 8/4 and was thinking the same thing... Perhaps it is a typo and meant to say 7:45? I too am early to everything.
Also... totally not looking forward to being in my black suit in the 90 degree humid Alabama weather. Gonna be interesting!

I will be interviewing on 8/4 and was thinking the same thing... Perhaps it is a typo and meant to say 7:45? I too am early to everything.
Also... totally not looking forward to being in my black suit in the 90 degree humid Alabama weather. Gonna be interesting!
same, i will not be pleased. its been outrageously hot in philly, im dreading the suite in that weather.

same, i will not be pleased. its been outrageously hot in philly, im dreading the suite in that weather.
FL humidity frizzes up my hair (straightening it sucks and I'm a girl in case you haven't realized yet) and I've put on weight studying for my mcat so I'll melt.

Members don't see this ad :)
FL humidity frizzes up my hair (straightening it sucks and I'm a girl in case you haven't realized yet) and I've put on weight studying for my mcat so I'll melt.

hahahah i feel ya on that one. i wish i could just chop all of mine off.

Last edited:
Would it be worth applying here as someone from the NE without any ties? This may be the last school I apply to but im on the fence, esp with II already being sent out.

Also anyone know if theres a decent asian indian population?
Apply if you have the stats and feel like the school is a good fit for you.

Would it be worth applying here as someone from the NE without any ties? This may be the last school I apply to but im on the fence, esp with II already being sent out.

There's one or two Indian temples in Dothan. Surprisingly, they have a pretty good Indian restaurant in Dothan, since it's not known for having multicultural food. ACOM has a student organization that hosts a health fair at one of the temples every year and works with the Indian community. On ACOM's student demographics pie chart, half of the "Asians" demographic is Indian.

As a northeasterner, you'll be fine applying to ACOM. I know a lot of students who are from the NE without any ties to AL. The latest they sent out II is late spring, so you're okay.

Last edited:

Last edited:

I am Indian, and applied here. I will be going for an interview on September 1st here, and so far from what I've read about ACOM...it looks like a pretty decent school. Excited for the interview. Also I'm OOS.

I'm totally not doing the shuttle either. I'd rather wait at ACOM than at the hotel.
Mr. Willis drives the shuttle. He is also the one that basically runs the interview day so feel free to take the shuttle, you'll be there on time.

Hey everyone,
I am an OMSIII at ACOM and am happy to answer questions. I actually am in my fourth year because I did a fellowship at the school. Feel free to ask anything you want to know other than "will i get in?", "what are my chances?," and what's going on with my app?" I am happy to answer any other questions about dothan, acom, and life in general.
feel free to send me a PM
Byron

Hey everyone,
I am an OMSIII at ACOM and am happy to answer questions. I actually am in my fourth year because I did a fellowship at the school. Feel free to ask anything you want to know other than "will i get in?", "what are my chances?," and what's going on with my app?" I am happy to answer any other questions about dothan, acom, and life in general.
Byron
How many opportunities are there for research? Did you have any trouble with getting your rotations? Also, what's your favorite thing about the school? Thanks! And sorry if that's too many questions!

Hey everyone,
Byron
hey thank you! i am also wondering if there are research opportunities on campus? or if there are associated locations to conduct research

hey thank you! i am also wondering if there are research opportunities on campus? or if there are associated locations to conduct research
There is a research center on the third that has just seen its first research projects begin. there were summer research assistants that participated in those. Dr. McManus is the coordinator of research and you will possibly meet her on your interview day. In addition to that there are numerous docs in town that are always looking for students to write up cases and do posters. I was not particularly interested in research but the opportunities are there for those who are.

There is a research center on the third that has just seen its first research projects begin. there were summer research assistants that participated in those. Dr. McManus is the coordinator of research and you will possibly meet her on your interview day. In addition to that there are numerous docs in town that are always looking for students to write up cases and do posters. I was not particularly interested in research but the opportunities are there for those who are.
Thank you! do you by chance know what the research was on? i've been doing neuro research so i wanted to see if id be able to continue around that topic.

also, anyone know if ACOM is receptive to character references from current students? i know that some schools like PCOM like input from their current students but im not sure how ACOM feels about it?

also, in case people are looking for hotels, the comfort inn that's 1 mile away also gives a deal to the acom interviewers if you call. its $89/night instead of the $150 thats listed on their website. hope thats helpful to those interviewing.

Another reminder/open invite for those interviewing on 8/11 to shoot me a PM if you're interested in a friendly meet-up prior to the interview- there are a couple of us so far. See it as an opportunity to blow off steam, relax, and acclimate before the big day!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone get IIs today?

Following this thread it seems there were IIs sent on the 10th and 17th, today's the 24th so the weekly invites would make sense for today, I could be wrong tho

Anyone get IIs today?

Following this thread it seems there were IIs sent on the 10th and 17th, today's the 24th so the weekly invites would make sense for today, I could be wrong tho
I submitted my secondary there last Tuesday and haven't heard a peep.

No complete email here either. Got a supplemental received email on 7/11 but radio silence since

No complete email here either. Got a supplemental received email on 7/11 but radio silence since
Hmm I got a received email 7/17 and a completed email 7/19.
Already checking my email constantly

No complete email on my end. Look at us up late obsessing.
LOL so true, I'll prob call if I dont get anything by the end of this week because I also did not get a supplemental received email either...

I'm so excited! Bringing my dog and we're going to explore the trails and get to know the town a bit.

Anyone get IIs today?

Got a complete email 7/19. But no II yet either.

Complete 7/19 as well, guessing they are just waiting on sending out the next batch until sometime this week.

i feel like i've been waiting to interview forever, it's making me so antsy. hopefully the next two weeks go by fast.

II just now.
OOS 3.27 c/s GPA undergrad/3.8 Grad GPA
511 MCAT
Congrats everyone!! :)