2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACOM's interview is rather straightforward. They want to get to know you and see if you are a good fit for the school and its mission. Just be yourself. Also be polite and personable.

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on saying something along the lines of, "Well, right now I am a single person, but in the future I would look forward to getting married. I also have my four siblings, and my parents too."

I love that part, it's a nice middle ground, and true!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I never read any interview books and I'm still able to do well in my interview here. Just prepare for basic questions like "why DO, why medicine, why ACOM." Be yourself, you should use your own experiences to answer those questions cause that what they are looking for.

Completed 07/31. Congrats on everyone interviewing! How long did it take before you received an interview invite. The email says within 3 weeks but I'm hoping it's sooner if I get invited.

Completed 07/31. Congrats on everyone interviewing! How long did it take before you received an interview invite. The email says within 3 weeks but I'm hoping it's sooner if I get invited.

Secondary submitted: 7-11
Secondary completed: 7-12
II: 7-14

It was really fast! I wish other schools were this fast

I never read any interview books and I'm still able to do well in my interview here. Just prepare for basic questions like "why DO, why medicine, why ACOM." Be yourself, you should use your own experiences to answer those questions cause that what they are looking for.
How long do they usually take to inform interviewees of offer/WL?

Yea they are super quick once you are marked complete!

Secondary submitted: 6/27
Marked complete: 7/12
II: 7/14

Hey yall!! I just applied here recently and am excited to hear back soon, hopefully! Do yall know the email format for this school? I am trying to reach someone specific in admissions and can only fins a generic admissions email. Normally schools are first name or first letter of first name, then last name @ whatever school address, but I truly cannot find any email addresses, so I wasn't sure. If you know anything, I'd love the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yall!! I just applied here recently and am excited to hear back soon, hopefully! Do yall know the email format for this school? I am trying to reach someone specific in admissions and can only fins a generic admissions email. Normally schools are first name or first letter of first name, then last name @ whatever school address, but I truly cannot find any email addresses, so I wasn't sure. If you know anything, I'd love the help!

[email protected]

For faculty and stuff, it's the initial of their first name and then their last name. For example, Dr. Philip Reynolds' email is [email protected]. Students' email are formatted differently.

How was your interview? I'm interviewing on 8/11 and feeling a little nervous (I tend to babble when I interview). Did it seem relaxed to you? Any curve ball questions?
Good Luck with your interview! I'm interviewing on the 11th as well!

For those of you guys interviewing this Friday and flying into Dothan airport: how are you guys planning on getting to the Comfort Inn from the airport?

Has anyone received any IIs in the past 1-2 weeks?

Can anyone clarify this message I got from ACOM? Will they send out another batch for II? "The AdComs has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview at a later date."

Can anyone clarify this message I got from ACOM? Will they send out another batch for II? "The AdComs has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview at a later date."

Sounds like a pre interview waitlist to me

flying to dothan tomorrow and feeling pretty terrified lol

Reactions: 1 users
Just a heads up for everyone applying/interviewing... be prepared to fall in love with this school! I was very apprehensive and nervous but after my interview I totally fell in love and knew I wanted to come here! Everyone has been so welcoming and the 2nd years have been so helpful! Everyone here really cares about you and wants you to succeed. If anyone has any questions or just wants to chat, feel free to message me! And for anyone curious about the on-campus apartments, I'm living in Summerfield :)

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Has anyone been hearing back from the school? I've had multiple emails unanswered and a phone message unreturned. It's really dropped the school from my top choices list with how unresponsive they've been.

Also, apparently there were a lot of students in my class that attended their ACOM interview then cancelled the rest of their interviews because they knew they wanted to come here. Be excited and good luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone been hearing back from the school? I've had multiple emails unanswered and a phone message unreturned. It's really dropped the school from my top choices list with how unresponsive they've been.
Try to keep in mind that it's still very early in the application cycle and they are probably getting mass amounts of emails and phone calls in addition to getting our class situated since we had orientation all last week and this was only the 3rd day of lectures. They are well worth the wait trust me. But don't be shy about continuing to try to contact them

A bit late but first II received on 7/26 for Sept. 8!

Reactions: 5 users
I'll stop bugging everyone on this thread now lol just got an II!!!! Complete 7/31.

Reactions: 6 users
II also! So happy omg <3 <3

anyone know how many people they interview? vs how many get accepted? curious to see this because so many people are getting II's. good luck to everyone this cycle!

anyone know how many people they interview? vs how many get accepted? curious to see this because so many people are getting II's. good luck to everyone this cycle!

I can't find much info but they interviewed 450 their first year and usually accept 162.

I can't find much info but they interviewed 450 their first year and usually accept 162.

They matriculate 162, they probably accept significantly more than that!

People have told me they accept 2/3 of people they interview. I'm sure out of the 1/3 that don't get accepted, they waitlist a lot of them. If you have an interview, you probably won't get rejected unless you have a red flag during your interview day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
They matriculate 162, they probably accept significantly more than that!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apologies, I did mean matriculate.

Agreed. If you have an interview at some of these newer DO schools, they are very open and are just looking for the right fit. I think it would be fairly hard to get a flat out rejection but not impossible. Do your research.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone know of places to grab food in dothan?!
I'm not sure about food since I either eat at home or at the school but definitely check out the Recovery Room! It's the favorite bar for a vast majority of ACOM students!

Fellow SDNers who interviewed today, do share your thoughts! Did you feel prepared? What did you wish you knew now that you're done? Any wisdom is much appreciated!

Is there a "complete" email after the "secondary received" email?

Fellow SDNers who interviewed today, do share your thoughts! Did you feel prepared? What did you wish you knew now that you're done? Any wisdom is much appreciated!
I am pretty sure the first interview is tomorrow! But if you look at the ACOM 2016-2017 page you can find TONS of insight on the interview

I am pretty sure the first interview is tomorrow! But if you look at the ACOM 2016-2017 page you can find TONS of insight on the interview
Oops! Silly me thinking it's already Friday. Thanks for the tip.
GOOD LUCK ya'll :D

anyone know of places to grab food in dothan?!

Zack's Family Restaurant has good southern food. The place is like cafeteria style. I like their country fried steak and their fried chicken.

KBC is a really good sandwich place downtown and they have brunch on the weekends. Their burnt ends sandwich is my fav.

Fire Stone Wood Fired Pizza & Grill is also another popular place.

Surprisingly, for Dothan, there's a pretty good Thai restaurant - Thai House as well as an Indian restaurant - Taj.

Full Moon BBQ is okay, but I find their BBQ to be hit or miss because some days, the meats are dry and other days, they're okay.

There's a lot of chain restaurants in Dothan, but if you're looking for something specific, let me know.