2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats everyone! Guess I'm calling tomorrow because my emails have still gone unanswered about a letter...

I have my interview this Friday. If anyone of you accepted students have any specific advice (unusual questions asked, general vibe, etc.), that would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Does anybody here have any insight on this school vs BCOM? I have an interview there scheduled on 9/8 but am unsure if I'd have more interest in it over ACOM.

Does anybody here have any insight on this school vs BCOM? I have an interview there scheduled on 9/8 but am unsure if I'd have more interest in it over ACOM.
ACOM is better than BCOM in term of their resources right now. We are first year and by the time we graduated, SAMC will have an IM residency. On the other hand, this will be the second class of BCOM this season and they are still trying to figure things out together. However, if you have the resources, you are welcome to go interview, it's may be good experience

Reactions: 1 user
ACOM is better than BCOM in term of their resources right now. We are first year and by the time we graduated, SAMC will have an IM residency. On the other hand, this will be the second class of BCOM this season and they are still trying to figure things out together. However, if you have the resources, you are welcome to go interview, it's may be good experience
Do all the phone calls typically go out on the same day? or are they sometimes split up?

I don't know how BCOM set up their clinical rotations, but one of the main reasons why I chose ACOM was its established clinical rotations throughout Alabama and the Florida panhandle.

Reactions: 4 users
For anyone that will be coming for an interview throughout this cycle and wants to meet up for coffee or a meal to talk about the school (or anything else really) just PM me and we can totally set it up!

Congrats for those that already have acceptances!!

For everyone interviewing, you can expect that they will make you feel very at ease and comfortable so take some deep breaths. they want you here and are so excited to meet each of you! If you interview you have about 2/3 of a chance to be accepted and the other 1/3 is mostly waitlists. So if you've made it to the interview stage, your chances are looking really good!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for those accepted who did you send your thank you letters to?

My interviewers gave their cards and I emailed them. I also emailed Mr. Willis for the acceptance phone call!

My interviewers re: snail mail (I have cute Thank You cards from undergrad internships).

Hey guys, so I submitted my secondary Friday and still haven't received a confirmation email. How long did it take you guys? Just wondering if I should contact them yet since they said it usually takes 3 days. I just hate feeling like I'm late in the cycle.

Congratulations to all who got accepted!!!! I am really looking forward to interviewing on 8/25, as I've heard nothing but great things from this school.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Just got an interview invitation! Secondary was complete 8/3.

Congrats on the interview and all those accepted!!! How many of you that have gotten interviews are from out of the regional area? I'm from the PNW. But I have about 7 1/2 years full time 9-11 experience on an ambulance as a paramedic. So I'm hopeful. Just got the email this morning saying my secondary was received and would be notified if anything was missing.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the interview and all those accepted!!! How many of you that have gotten interviews are from out of the regional area? I'm from the PNW. But I have about 7 1/2 years full time 9-11 experience on an ambulance as a paramedic. So I'm hopeful. Just got the email this morning saying my secondary was received and would be notified if anything was missing.

Hey! I'm from Virginia so definitely far away from ACOM. I'm interviewing 9/1!

Thanks! I'm from the Southwest, definitely far from Alabama.
Awesome thanks. Do you remember the approximate timeline between getting the confirmation your secondary was received and an email saying it was complete? I know the turn around as far as complete to an interview is fast but I am just curious on this part.

I submitted my secondary on 7/31, got the received email 8/3, got the complete email later on 8/3, and the interview invite 8/9!
You are awesome. Thanks so much. Good luck on the interview. Hopefully we all will get the chance to meet next year! lol

II today! scheduled for 10/13!

I got an II and I'm from Wisconsin, which is practically Canada, so you're good.

I just submitted my secondary and am a little worried by the lack of confirmation? First, I wasn't taken to a page with instructions like it said I would be. Second, I was simply taken to the main menu once I pressed submit without any confirmation at all. Is this the same as everyone else's experience?

Yes. They will send you a confirmation email later on. Took about a week to get mine.

Interview invite!!! :hardy:

Was complete on 8/3!!!

Just arrived at the hotel after my 15 hour drive!!! See you guys Friday!!

Reactions: 3 users
I know this has been touched on in previous posts, but can someone speak to exactly how rural this school is? Does it really have a middle-of-nowhere type vibe? I got a II today and I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

Last edited:
Honestly, and maybe this was just me, but I didn't get a "middle-of-nowhere" vibe. Everything you could ever need seemed within a 10 min radius. I personally thought the community there was great. Seems much less rural than a school like LMU-DCOM for example. Again, that's just my opinion.

Agreed. It's definitely not a "big city" vibe, but most certainly not a "cow around every corner" vibe either lol. Places to shop, variety of restaurants to eat at, a couple of nice parks. A good place with minimal distractions, but just enough stuff to not be miserable.

I know this has been touched on in previous posts, but can someone speak to exactly how rural this school is? Does it really have a middle-of-nowhere type vibe? I got a II today and I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.
I can confirm that it isn't that rural. Dothan is officially classified as a small city due to population numbers and has a majority of large chain stores and restaurants in the city. It's a very convenient place to live and has minimal distractions. But if you decided you wanted to take a weekend trip or even a day trip, the florida coast is only 1.5-2 hrs away and New Orleans isn't too far either. There are plenty of places to go and explore if you want a little excitement now and then. I honestly like it here a lot! I'm from the northeast though so I'm not used to the heat and humidity. That's probably the only thing I don't like down here so far lol

Another thing you will discover is that the people that live in Dothan absolutely love the medical students and southern hospitality is absolutely a real thing lol

Not that rural like endless cornfields and farms rural. I grew up in the suburbs of a big city and Dothan felt like a step below suburban, but not rural to me. However, if you're from a major city like LA and NY, you might think it's rural. Panama City Beach and Tallahassee are 90 minutes away, Atlanta about 3.5 hours away, New Orleans about 5 hours away. At least Dothan won't be overwhelmingly distracting during the first two years when you're studying.

Got the secondary competed email this morning! Super exciting. If other timelines are any indication hoping to hear something next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent in my secondary 8/3 and I just got an email saying they received it. How long did it take most of you to get complete after the email about receiving your secondary?

I sent in my secondary 8/3 and I just got an email saying they received it. How long did it take most of you to get complete after the email about receiving your secondary?

I got my email saying they received it yesterday. Lots got them both the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone that is interviewing tomorrow and is staying at the comfort inn, I can stop by the hotel after class today at around 3:20-3:30 for 15 min to answer any questions you may have about the school. (Or I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.) Let me know if anyone will be there at 3:20-3:30pm.

Does anyone think a 6:13pm flight out of Dothan day of the interview is too late? It's the only available flight....

Edit: I meant too early.. i know it says it finishes around 2:30 with an optional tour... just a bit worried

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine
Have you seen if there are any other students in any other threads that have been accepted to a med school? You may be in the first ~10 students to have gained one this year. Kind of cool.