2017-2018 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I have an II from them, I was curious what you thought about the college in general, why you chose to apply there and did you end up matriculating?
The story with about 50% of all applicants to medical school is that they only got accepted to one school – you'll see that everywhere. I chose Albany over another school because I liked the hospital that was associated with the medical school. AMC is the only tertiary care center in the area so we see a lot of interesting cases. Too many people often worry about only the first two years of medical school, it's equally as important to learn about what your 3rd and 4th years will be like!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The story with about 50% of all applicants to medical school is that they only got accepted to one school – you'll see that everywhere. I chose Albany over another school because I liked the hospital that was associated with the medical school. AMC is the only tertiary care center in the area so we see a lot of interesting cases. Too many people often worry about only the first two years of medical school, it's equally as important to learn about what your 3rd and 4th years will be like!

Haha yes I assumed that will be the case in situation. Awesome, I really appreciate the input! What is their teaching method for first two years? Lecture in person only, or do they also post them online? I didn't know they were a tertiary Care center even! That's a huge plus! I tried to check their website to find out more info on their med school but I couldn't find much. Did you find out most of this stuff on the tour or did you find it somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
thats strange that you all are around 508 do they want higher mcat?

Haha yes I assumed that will be the case in situation. Awesome, I really appreciate the input! What is their teaching method for first two years? Lecture in person only, or do they also post them online? I didn't know they were a tertiary Care center even! That's a huge plus! I tried to check their website to find out more info on their med school but I couldn't find much. Did you find out most of this stuff on the tour or did you find it somewhere else?
Majority of lectures are recorded and non-mandatory. Not too many mandatory classes. Pretty standard curriculum. I'm a MS1 here.

Rejected today. Complete around 7/28.

I haven't received any notice yet but if I have stats equal or lower to those who've been rejected should I just give up hope? Or just roll with the "no news is good news" mentality.
Look at the MSAR and see the 10th-90th percentile for MCAT and GPA. If you fall within those ranges then you have the best chance of getting in. There's nothing else to say.

Sorry if this is annoying, but if people are getting rejected who submitted after you, is that a good sign? I have this sneaking suspicion that I will get rejected from here (because I want to go here so badly lol) but still nothing from them... submitted on 7/26

Sorry if this is annoying, but if people are getting rejected who submitted after you, is that a good sign? I have this sneaking suspicion that I will get rejected from here (because I want to go here so badly lol) but still nothing from them... submitted on 7/26

the only good sign, imo, is not receiving a rejection. no one has a crystal ball. hold tight :). I was also complete early and have gotten silence despite my raging desire for an II here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys receive a complete email at all? I only have one for my payment but my portal says everything is complete.

Rejected as well, IS, 511 3.84. Kinda surprised considering I'm from the area but stiff upper lip and all that

Do you know how hard it might be to do an away-rotation in NYC?
From what I understand you do away rotations during your 4th year, and if you wanted to do it in NYC you absolutely could. Pretty sure you can do it anywhere for that matter.

Yes I have ties to the state and to the school.

Last edited:
II a little bit ago! OOS applicant and submitted everything 7/24.

Reactions: 4 users
II this morning! OOS but strong ties to Albany, LM 73, complete 7/17

Anyone know how long the date options they give us last? Is it a first come, first serve kinda thing? I think I know the date I want but need to coordinate with my family in the area..

Reactions: 2 users
II! OOS. Completed 8/17

Last edited:
I was accepted here last cycle. Let me know if you have any questions.

(No I will not violate my NDA for the MMI)

Hi! I was invited to interview at the Albany College of Medicine today. I was wondering how they feel about beards? I know some places are conservative, while others think it's okay as long as its well groomed. I attached a pic of mine, it's not a crazy long beard or anything, but I do feel better with it. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 134
For those who have interviewed, does anyone know if there is rideshare (uber/lyft) from the airport to the school? I think I saw some old info before that said that there are no rideshares in the area.

For those who have interviewed, does anyone know if there is rideshare (uber/lyft) from the airport to the school? I think I saw some old info before that said that there are no rideshares in the area.

There is ride sharing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I was invited to interview at the Albany College of Medicine today. I was wondering how they feel about beards? I know some places are conservative, while others think it's okay as long as its well groomed. I attached a pic of mine, it's not a crazy long beard or anything, but I do feel better with it. Any thoughts?
I shaved, so I'm afraid I can't give an informed response on that front. Fun story: I had to find a closed bathroom at 2am in the airport terminal to sneak into in order to shave in and not inconvenience the rest of the passengers. Random copilot walks in, takes one look at me in my suit shaving myself in the airport sink and says "when you spend too much time in the air am I right?".

Edit: TBF, I did miss a pretty significant portion upon later inspection, so maybe you should just leave a patch on purpose. :rofl:

Congrats on your acceptance!

I'd like some input on how I'm going to approach my explanation of my "gap" in post-graduate history and whether you would even consider my situation a gap worth explaining.

So I earned my MS right out of undergrad. As I was finishing up my thesis (8/2015), I began scribing full time. I continued scribing full time and began studying to take the first round of the MCAT right before my girlfriend of six years broke up with me. I was forced share a living space with her during the 5 months I was studying and working full time due to financial constraints on breaking the lease. I ended up getting a 504, and was faced with the decision to apply to medical school with a very borderline score in an emotionally traumatized state. I decided to delay applying until this year in order to get a better score (got a 506 second time), and most importantly, to adequately cope with the breakup before jumping into a huge life transition. Continuing to work full time scribing and studying to get that score of a 506, I went through cognitive behavioral therapy and employed a lot of great lasting behavioral strategies that have helped prepare me to take on the rigors of med school as my best self.

I believe I made a wise decision because jumping into applying right after the breakup would have made the quality of my application suffer; it could have also put me at risk for poor performance in med school if I didn't take time and energy not available during medical school to cope with CBT.

Longwinded, so your consideration and feedback is hugely appreciated!
Be as honest as you can. Albany is a school that accepts all shapes and sizes, not just the cookiecutter apps. GL!!

(Sorry everybody for spamming, I've been away for a bit since my wife and I had a baby. She's pretty cool, you should babysit)

There was a question a while back about what my thoughts were about Albany in general, but I can't seem to find it to quote, but here goes:

To be completely honest I don't believe that it would have been the best fit for me. That is not to say it was an easy decision to choose one school over another. Obviously it would've been killer to have had the opportunity to have such a diverse patient-base at the only level 1 trauma center for a couple dozen counties. Their simulation center was pretty impressive as well. Also the staff was suuuuper accommodating over the phone and in person. It's definitely not a bad place to go, that's for sure.

As for the cons: The building looked... not too great on the inside. I know that aesthetics is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel for reasons to turn down an acceptance, but seeing as I was going to pay the same tuition for a much better-looking facility, I decided to go with the other option I had. Additionally, they will NOT budge on financial aid scholarships. Their position is "you will have the opportunity to apply for scholarships after first year" which is not the type of gamble 4-months-ago freak7 could take. If you're thinking about leveraging another acceptance against AMC, save your phone call and time. Also, I had the opportunity to ask a few of the students (who all seemed super great and candid btw. If you go here I'm sure you'll love your classmates) why they chose AMC and every single one said something to the effect of "oh it's the only place I got in". That is a PERFECTLY REASONABLE reason, however as I was already holding another acceptance, it scared me a bit. Furthermore (and this is suuuper nitpicky) all the food was served in these awkwardly-sized plastic cups, the kind that you'd expect to get your ketchup in. It felt like an episode of Seinfeld where George and Jerry would be arguing over whether or not it'd be ok to take 2 cups of something you think you'd really like, all while the pressure to move along because there are 15 people waiting behind you who are hungry too.

Now for the weird weird: I am a URM. I was extremely pleased to interview with a school where there were soooo many URM candidates in my interview group. At all my others, I had been one of the only brown dudes there and I'm not sure I interviewed with more than 2 African American people over the course of all of my other interviews. In my group at AMC however there were easily 25-50% (sorry for the wide range, it was almost a year ago) AA interviewees in the 20 or so person group and the dean (I think) who spoke with us was an AA dude himself. This all seemed great to me since it came across like a place that valued diversity deeply which means a great deal to me. HOWEVER, I compared AMC interview experiences with my non-URM friend. She shared the same pros and cons as I had, down to the awkward food cups. Once we got really into the breakdown though we discovered that her group was predominately ORM and mine was predominately URM. Not only that, but the speaker who talked to them wasn't the same AA dude, it was a white person. I AM NOT SAYING that there's anything inherently wrong with interviewing ORM candidates separately from URM candidates since I believe there's an argument to be made that it would help eliminate biases among interviewers comparing and potentially selecting ORM candidates over URM candidates. I AM ALSO NOT SAYING that this is what AMC does regularly, this is n=2 for crying out loud. WHAT I AM SAYING is that it felt... weird when I found this out. Obviously AMC does a phenomenal job recruiting URM candidates (check MSAR) and I'm glad it does. I'm not trying to make it seem like there's any sort of negative bias towards URM's at AMC because that's simply not the case. It was just a little weird when we compared notes.

So those are my reasons.

... Please, no more ketchup cups though. You've got people who have traveled thousands of miles to interview without a proper meal during the 16 hour commute. Don't turn it into a Seinfeld episode, AMC.

(Sorry everybody for spamming, I've been away for a bit since my wife and I had a baby. She's pretty cool, you should babysit)

There was a question a while back about what my thoughts were about Albany in general, but I can't seem to find it to quote, but here goes:

To be completely honest I don't believe that it would have been the best fit for me. That is not to say it was an easy decision to choose one school over another. Obviously it would've been killer to have had the opportunity to have such a diverse patient-base at the only level 1 trauma center for a couple dozen counties. Their simulation center was pretty impressive as well. Also the staff was suuuuper accommodating over the phone and in person. It's definitely not a bad place to go, that's for sure.

As for the cons: The building looked... not too great on the inside. I know that aesthetics is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel for reasons to turn down an acceptance, but seeing as I was going to pay the same tuition for a much better-looking facility, I decided to go with the other option I had. Additionally, they will NOT budge on financial aid scholarships. Their position is "you will have the opportunity to apply for scholarships after first year" which is not the type of gamble 4-months-ago freak7 could take. If you're thinking about leveraging another acceptance against AMC, save your phone call and time. Also, I had the opportunity to ask a few of the students (who all seemed super great and candid btw. If you go here I'm sure you'll love your classmates) why they chose AMC and every single one said something to the effect of "oh it's the only place I got in". That is a PERFECTLY REASONABLE reason, however as I was already holding another acceptance, it scared me a bit. Furthermore (and this is suuuper nitpicky) all the food was served in these awkwardly-sized plastic cups, the kind that you'd expect to get your ketchup in. It felt like an episode of Seinfeld where George and Jerry would be arguing over whether or not it'd be ok to take 2 cups of something you think you'd really like, all while the pressure to move along because there are 15 people waiting behind you who are hungry too.

Now for the weird weird: I am a URM. I was extremely pleased to interview with a school where there were soooo many URM candidates in my interview group. At all my others, I had been one of the only brown dudes there and I'm not sure I interviewed with more than 2 African American people over the course of all of my other interviews. In my group at AMC however there were easily 25-50% (sorry for the wide range, it was almost a year ago) AA interviewees in the 20 or so person group and the dean (I think) who spoke with us was an AA dude himself. This all seemed great to me since it came across like a place that valued diversity deeply which means a great deal to me. HOWEVER, I compared AMC interview experiences with my non-URM friend. She shared the same pros and cons as I had, down to the awkward food cups. Once we got really into the breakdown though we discovered that her group was predominately ORM and mine was predominately URM. Not only that, but the speaker who talked to them wasn't the same AA dude, it was a white person. I AM NOT SAYING that there's anything inherently wrong with interviewing ORM candidates separately from URM candidates since I believe there's an argument to be made that it would help eliminate biases among interviewers comparing and potentially selecting ORM candidates over URM candidates. I AM ALSO NOT SAYING that this is what AMC does regularly, this is n=2 for crying out loud. WHAT I AM SAYING is that it felt... weird when I found this out. Obviously AMC does a phenomenal job recruiting URM candidates (check MSAR) and I'm glad it does. I'm not trying to make it seem like there's any sort of negative bias towards URM's at AMC because that's simply not the case. It was just a little weird when we compared notes.

So those are my reasons.

... Please, no more ketchup cups though. You've got people who have traveled thousands of miles to interview without a proper meal during the 16 hour commute. Don't turn it into a Seinfeld episode, AMC.

First of all, congrats on the baby! We really appreciate you spending some of your precious time with us! I believe I was the one that asked about your thoughts in general on AMC. Thanks so much for getting back to me, and with so much detail!

The pros you listed were some that I have read about elsewhere, so its good to get confirmation on that. I have yet to hear cons yet, so that is extremely helpful. I also don't think your criticisms were nitpicky, first impressions are huge and sounds like they didn't have a great one so that's something I will watch out for. As far as being their only acceptance, I kind of fell like that is where I will be if I do get in, so that is both relieving and a bit scary.

All in all, your input is greatly appreciated and I wish you the best in medical school! Now go tend to your loving family!!:)

Sure! 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 505. My brother attended Albany so that's probably a big factor of getting the II.
Hey, familial connections are always helpful, but schools won't award you an II solely cause of family...you earned thsi mate, your #s are great and within striking range of Albany, best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Could someone post the link to the app portal? All of my emails got lost because my email server failed :eek::bang:

1. Since 50% of premeds only get into one school that's a nonissue.
2. Most hospitals are cheap. Serving food in small cups seems irrelevant to the decision making, and so is the quality of hospital food. Even more attempts at cost savings force some cafeterias to
close at 5PM.
3. I don't know what to say about their interviewing style.

1. Since 50% of premeds only get into one school that's a nonissue.
2. Most hospitals are cheap. Serving food in small cups seems irrelevant to the decision making, and so is the quality of hospital food. Even more attempts at cost savings force some cafeterias to
close at 5PM.
3. I don't know what to say about their interviewing style.

50% of people who matriculate to medical school only got into 1 school*** not pre-meds lol. The national acceptance rate is around 37%.

yes, thanks, meant to say that.

Only "one" acceptance is nothing to sneeze at.

If you are interested in obtaining the MD/Ph.D. or the MD/MBA degrees, please check the corresponding box. The application for the Ph.D. is submitted after the second year of the MD program; the application for the MBA is submitted after acceptance to the MD program. Please note that admittance to the MD program does not guarantee admittance to either of these programs.
MD/Ph.D. MD/MBA

If you have previously applied to the Albany Medical College, indicate the year(s) and the disposition of your application. (Check all boxes that apply)

If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then?
(1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.
(1,000 character limit)

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history.
(1,000 character limit)

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.
(1,000 character limit)

EXPERIENCES

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.

(1,000 character limit)

+ additional personal info/ letters of rec info

Good luck to everyone applying!

The "academic inconsistencies" question has me stumped. The one thing I feel I do need to explain is the 123 I got on the CARS section (127,128,130 on other sections and 3.74 cgpa/3.50 sgpa). I don't know how to go about it because I don't have any really good reasons for doing poorly on that section. I was doing decently on all my practice tests, but on the day of, my nerves got to me more than I had anticipated during that section and I probably didn't spend as much time preparing for it as I did for the other sections. I don't want to sound whiny or like I'm making bad excuses in the essay prompt, but also I want them to know that the 123 doesn't define my reasoning abilities. Any suggestions?